NotebookTalk

Official Clevo X170KM-G Thread

electrosoft

On 6/7/2024 at 7:35 PM, giltheone said:

Yes, that is the BIOS that the system has, but when I first turned it on, there were a lot of updates the system wanted to apply, which I noticed it included the BIOS/Firmware, so System Update took care of that. I didn't check what the BIOS version was just as I launched the OS for the first time --- I honestly forgot to do so, because I wanted to know, but I was busy with several things at the same time, not just the computer. But in any case, 1.07.08 is what the system has now.

As to shutdowns, some user(s) seem to not have problems, or so I thought I read in the thread. It may be the particular configuration, BIOS, and software environment that one has that can lead to the system shutting down or not. As of now, I have installed only a few apps: MS Office software I need for work (for which I'm using an institutional license), Adobe Acrobat, Steam, GOG Galaxy 2.0, and two games (Elden Ring, and Dark Souls Remastered), and 3D Mark, plus a few other smaller things. I have a ton of other stuff to install, but that will be in the next few weeks. Oh, and I am NOT overclocking anything at the moment.

Glad you're enjoying it. It's a great machine and sadly the last of its kind. It's getting harder to justify unfortunately, as newer thin and lights are faster now.

The sudden shutdowns that people were experiencing seemed isolated to heavy loads, and yeah, some people were affected worse than others while others didn't have issues at all. There were some theories that it related to fan control and such. One thing I'm not sure about is whether people with 10900Ks in the KM-G were also affected, or if it's a Rocket Lake issue only.

• Thumb Up 1

Metabox Prime-X (X170KM-G) | 17.3" 165Hz G-sync | 11900KF | 32GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 3080 16GB | 1TB 980 Pro

From my perspective those machines are worth keeping only if you already own one and mainly from collector´s point of view. To buy a used one or invest in heavy upgrading is certainly not worthing.

• Thumb Up 1

XMG Neo 17 (E24)  | 14900HX | 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600@6600MT/s CL30-39-39 | RTX4090 (+275/850) | QHD @240Hz G-Sync | 4TB (2x2TB) Samsung 990 PRO | Killer WiFi 1675i | Oasis MK2 WaterCooling |

On 6/9/2024 at 7:27 AM, crz said:

@giltheone I also uploaded the latest X170KM-G08 version of the bios from Sager for you and everyone here, you can start with this to see if there are any changes or use it as a backup.

!Be sure to look at this article which concerns your specific case, it is important, filled with nuances and very interesting.

Sorry, I got busy with other stuff, and did not see your further reply. Unfortunately the link is no longer available, as you can see in the picture below, but thank you. I will still read the article once I have a chance --- other stuff has come up, and I need to take care of that first.

Screenshot 2024-06-12 064257.png

On 6/9/2024 at 9:41 AM, 1610ftw said:

Over here the going prices for the 11900K and the 10900K are almost identical.

If it is similar where you live then I suggest to just swap your 11900K for a 10900K and then you can also have 128GB with 3200. At least this is what I got with the 10900K and the latest XMG bios + EC.

Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately I'm tapped out for the time being. I will certainly consider it very seriously once I have money again. Actually I was considering precisely getting a chip with 10 cores sometime later on, so your post is kind of serendipitous 🙂

25 minutes ago, giltheone said:

Sorry, I got busy with other stuff, and did not see your further reply. Unfortunately the link is no longer available, but thanks. I will still read the article once I have a chance --- other stuff has come up, and I need to take care of that first.

No problem, I was hoping that you didn't have any serious problems along the way, the link in the message above has been updated.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, crz said:

No problem, I was hoping that you didn't have any serious problems along the way, the link in the message above has been updated.

Thank you very much. This time I was still around as you posted this, so I grabbed the file as fast as I could 😁

30 minutes ago, giltheone said:

Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately I'm tapped out for the time being. I will certainly consider it very seriously once I have money again. Actually I was considering precisely getting a chip with 10 cores sometime later on, so your post is kind of serendipitous 🙂

Sounds like a plan and until then the 11900K is no slouch either 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1610ftw said:

Sounds like a plan and until then the 11900K is no slouch either 🙂

The 11900k is a really good option, it gives the highest single-core performance and is quite equal in multithreading in most tasks, everything ultimately depends on the actual application and sufficient cooling that this processor certainly requires, let's not forget about pci-e 4.0 downgrade and disabling one of the slots on the 10th generation, in general of course everyone decides for himself.

• Thumb Up 1

24 minutes ago, crz said:

The 11900k is a really good option, it gives the highest single-core performance and is quite equal in multithreading in most tasks, everything ultimately depends on the actual application and sufficient cooling that this processor certainly requires, let's not forget about pci-e 4.0 and disabling one of the slots on the 10th generation. In general of course everyone decides for himself.

Yes there is an ipc gain but on the other hand I have found 10 cores to help me more than higher ipc for my more multicore intensive use case so this is something that @giltheone will have to decide for himself depending on his needs.

When a 4th SSD is essential there is the option to use a 2TB 2230 SSD in the Wifi slot but that is definitely an rather less helpful limitation 

Here is a video where a bunch of test have been made with both CPUs that are not just gaming and that may give an idea:

Apart from that there seems to be a hint at more stability with the 10th gen CPUs in the KM-G with nobody who had inexplicable problems using a 10th gen CPU and then there are the memory issues, too so it will depend on the specific needs and use cases of users.

• Thumb Up 1

2 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Yes there is an ipc gain but on the other hand I have found 10 cores to help me more than higher ipc for my more multicore intensive use case so this is something that @giltheone will have to decide for himself depending on his needs.

Apart from that there seems to be a hint at more stability with the 10th gen CPUs in the KM-G with nobody who had inexplicable problems using a 10th gen CPU and then there are the memory issues, too so it will depend on the specific needs and use cases of users.

Well, I initially thought and wrote about it that in this case a lot depends on the specific tasks and applications used, and naturally everyone here must decide on their own, the 11th generation has at least better performance in some synthetic tests and games.

With regard to greater stability, I think this is not entirely true, many users have not had any problems since buying a laptop, regardless of the processor used, and I had some correspondence with one person who uses 10900k and suffers from problems related to spontaneous reboots the devece, so it's something else. In addition, the author has no problems related to this, so it does not make sense to take this into account and follow some restrictions related to this.

Your option of using an SSD instead of a wifi module also means that when using the 11th generation, you can generally be able to use a total of 5 disks and not have problems with pci-e 4 downgrade, and this is something that cannot be achieved if you use the 10th generation. But of course, everything is individual and depends on many factors and I mentioned this firstly.

• Thumb Up 1

1 hour ago, crz said:

Well, I initially thought and wrote about it that in this case a lot depends on the specific tasks and applications used, and naturally everyone here must decide on their own, the 11th generation has at least better performance in some synthetic tests and games.

With regard to greater stability, I think this is not entirely true, many users have not had any problems since buying a laptop, regardless of the processor used, and I had some correspondence with one person who uses 10900k and suffers from problems related to spontaneous reboots the devece, so it's something else. In addition, the author has no problems related to this, so it does not make sense to take this into account and follow some restrictions related to this.

Your option of using an SSD instead of a wifi module also means that when using the 11th generation, you can generally be able to use a total of 5 disks and not have problems with pci-e 4 downgrade, and this is something that cannot be achieved if you use the 10th generation. But of course, everything is individual and depends on many factors and I mentioned this firstly.

Yep, I think we are in agreement here, the most important thing is to look at the use case.

With a lot of stuff running in parallel it will be nice to have more cores and probably for 4x32GB at 3200 but if somebody wanted fast and big (4TB or more) storage times 4 or certain very fast running single core application the 11900K has to stay etc.

• Thumb Up 1

15 hours ago, crz said:

Hello, once again. I downloaded the file, but I have to ask, even if I sound like a complete noob, how do I go about flashing the Sager X170KM-G08 bios from the file? That is, if I decide to go for it, of course. Is it flashable from within the Insyde bios, or do I need a Windows or Linux utility? I have, or can make a live USB stick if the latter is the case, no problem there, but I'm a little confused by the contents of the downloaded ZIP file.

2 hours ago, giltheone said:

Hello, once again. I downloaded the file, but I have to ask, even if I sound like a complete noob, how do I go about flashing the Sager X170KM-G08 bios from the file? That is, if I decide to go for it, of course.

Hello, here you can find some guides on how to do it. There is also a slightly different firmware archive on the Clevo website and you can also use it as a backup or the most convenient one.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, crz said:

@giltheone The Clevo version, if you still don't have it, I uploaded it here.

Thank you so much. I was looking for info in the winraid.level1techs.com forums, but I found very little, except a mention of the Insyde Win Flash tool, but no link to it, and the Insyde webpage is pretty much advertisements of their products, and no download links that I could find. I was checking those out mostly because I wanted to dump the BIOS to have a backup.

(I mentioned earlier that I have a USB EEPROM reader/writer that I can use with some clips to read/write onto the BIOS chips without the need to desolder them, but for that I need another computer and my GT72 is still on the fritz [I'm waiting for a replacement motherboard, and since it's from China it's taking it's sweet time to get here].)

The Clevo UEFI will be a good backup at the very least, but the flashing utilities and the instructions are a necessity in any case.

I've finally had some time to get around to upgrade my: Sager NP9672M-G0 (Clevo X170KM-G) [Intel i9-10850K (10C/20T)]; laptop. Specifically, I brought a 10900K to install into this laptop a while back, and am now ready to do that installation. I also purchased the RocketItCool: Copper IHS kit and Delid Kit; for 10th gen CPUs to get the most performance out of my 10900K.

I wanted to ask: I'm currently running in my laptop the default RAM from Sager at: 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 SDRAM at 3200MHz - 2 X 16GB; as listed from my original order information.

In upgrading the RAM for my laptop to get the most memory at 128 GB (4x32 GB memory modules) and at the highest supported speed; what would the max MHz speed be that is supported on this laptop?

What would be the best RAM brand to buy and at what max speed?

By the way, I just wanted to say a thank you to @electrosoft as his guidance has been so helpful from when I was on the NotebookReview site to here as well as all the other users here.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 2

9 hours ago, giltheone said:

Thank you so much. I was looking for info in the winraid.level1techs.com forums, but I found very little, except a mention of the Insyde Win Flash tool, but no link to it, and the Insyde webpage is pretty much advertisements of their products, and no download links that I could find. I was checking those out mostly because I wanted to dump the BIOS to have a backup.

(I mentioned earlier that I have a USB EEPROM reader/writer that I can use with some clips to read/write onto the BIOS chips without the need to desolder them, but for that I need another computer and my GT72 is still on the fritz [I'm waiting for a replacement motherboard, and since it's from China it's taking it's sweet time to get here].)

The Clevo UEFI will be a good backup at the very least, but the flashing utilities and the instructions are a necessity in any case.

I do not think that in your case there is a strong need to make a backup, you previously mentioned that after the first power on, the system probably updated the firmware and now it is the latest version 1.07.08, which I previously provided to you in case any problems arise.

With regard to Insyde instruments, this is corporate software that is supplied to certified companies for development and testing tasks only after signing a certain agreements, so it is not surprising that you did not find some download links on this website. If you are looking for H2OFFT (Insyde Firmware Flash Tool) or think you still need it, then I may can upload one of the versions for Windows but I don't remember if there is an option to make a dump.

• Thumb Up 1

3 hours ago, NBTUser said:

I wanted to ask: I'm currently running in my laptop the default RAM from Sager at: 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 SDRAM at 3200MHz - 2 X 16GB; as listed from my original order information.

In upgrading the RAM for my laptop to get the most memory at 128 GB (4x32 GB memory modules) and at the highest supported speed; what would the max MHz speed be that is supported on this laptop?

On the 10th cpu generation you can use 128GB 3200MHz without any problems, choose any convenient offers of memory modules based on the price and brand name. The 11th generation can only go up to 128GB 2933MHz, since there are some restrictions or compatibility issues when using a desktop processor and 4 so-dimm modules.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

4 hours ago, NBTUser said:

I've finally had some time to get around to upgrade my: Sager NP9672M-G0 [Clevo X170KM-G] {Intel i9-10850K (10C/20T); laptop. Specifically, I brought a 10900K to install into this laptop a while back, and am now ready to do that installation. I also purchased the RocketItCool: Copper IHS kit and Delid Kit; for 10th gen CPUs to get the most performance out of my 10900K.

By the way, I just wanted to say a thank you to @electrosoft as his guidance has been so helpful from when I was on the NotebookReview site to here as well as all the other users here.

I use Samsung 4x32GB M471A4G43AB1-CWE memory and it has been very reliable at 3200:

https://semiconductor.samsung.com/dram/module/sodimm/m471a4g43ab1-cwe/

I would expect that others would work, too but I have used 4 x 32GB Samsung with 2666 or 3200 speed in several DTRs and never had an issue so this is what I recommend. 

They can usually be found at reasonable prices like for example here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126520675938?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=0VY4BP18QcS&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=-GYTnvb3TOm&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

On 6/13/2024 at 8:14 AM, crz said:

I do not think that in your case there is a strong need to make a backup, you previously mentioned that after the first power on, the system probably updated the firmware and now it is the latest version 1.07.08, which I previously provided to you in case any problems arise.

Oh, my bad, I got confused a bit there. It's the Clevo firmware in the link you posted above, right?

My mind has been wandering all over the place, since I've been a little busy, but next week things should calm down, when the semester is finally over (I work at a university, and things are winding down for the summer), so at least that will be one less thing to worry about. Thank you very much for your help, and I will keep you all posted 🙂

3 hours ago, giltheone said:

Oh, my bad, I got confused a bit there. It's the Clevo firmware in the link you posted above, right?

Yes, according to the last link that was above, so don't worry too much about the backup, I think there will be no problems with this.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2024 at 3:58 PM, kela-slk said:

Does anyone have Origin PC Eon17 (x170KMG) OEM bios? 

I have that same PC, but I don't have the OEM bios. @crz put a link to the Clevo 1.07.08 file above, which should work fine, but I don't know if the link is still working. I have the file, but I would need to upload it somewhere to provide a link, so I would need to check how to share something on Google Drive. But I don't think this is quite the OEM bios.

But on that related note: sometime in the next few days, I will probably try to flash the Sager X170KM-G08 bios he (@crz) also provided, but I have a question: I want to keep the original start up logo that comes with the OEM bios. Is there a way to do so? I like the Origin PC logo, and if it's possible to keep it, that would be great. It's not a deal breaker if I can't, but it would be very nice, I think it's rather snazzy.

Edited by giltheone
Never mind. There was no need to correct the post.

As a follow up, does the Sager NP9672M-G0 (Clevo X170KM-G) [Intel i9-10850K (10C/20T] support XMP?

I am asking because I want to see if this laptop allows XMP to be enabled for memory overclocking; specifically, with memory (SO-DIMM) at DDR4 3200 MHz 32GB?

On 6/13/2024 at 10:50 AM, crz said:

On the 10th cpu generation you can use 128GB 3200MHz without any problems, choose any convenient offers of memory modules based on the price and brand name. The 11th generation can only go up to 128GB 2933MHz, since there are some restrictions or compatibility issues when using a desktop processor and 4 so-dimm modules.

Thanks for the information. In looking over the offerings of laptop memory at: DDR4 3200 MHz 32GB; I have not seen any CAS Latency (CL) values lower than CL22.

Are there any SO-DIMM memory modules at: DDR4 3200 MHz 32GB; that have CL values less than CL22?

On 6/13/2024 at 12:01 PM, 1610ftw said:

I use Samsung 4x32GB M471A4G43AB1-CWE memory and it has been very reliable at 3200:

https://semiconductor.samsung.com/dram/module/sodimm/m471a4g43ab1-cwe/

I would expect that others would work, too but I have used 4 x 32GB Samsung with 2666 or 3200 speed in several DTRs and never had an issue so this is what I recommend. 

They can usually be found at reasonable prices like for example here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126520675938?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=0VY4BP18QcS&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=-GYTnvb3TOm&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thanks for the suggestion. I took a look at the links provided, and it seems from the first link that the CL value for that memory, Samsung DDR4 3200 MHz 32GB (M471A4G43AB1-CWE); is not specified. Would you happen to know what the CL value is for that memory?

On 6/12/2024 at 3:52 PM, crz said:

link not available for download. please update link or download on this thread

9 hours ago, NBTUser said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I took a look at the links provided, and it seems from the first link that the CL value for that memory, Samsung DDR4 3200 MHz 32GB (M471A4G43AB1-CWE); is not specified. Would you happen to know what the CL value is for that memory?

The Samsung is CL22 at 3200.