NotebookTalk

Good Morning All, 

Just wanted to get a keyboard thread started, a lot of the stuff I do with revolves around various means of input so I figured I would start this as I plan to start making a semi-custom Traditional 1800 board after I do a bit more research. 

What kind of keyboards does everyone use? 

I used to pretend that I dont really belong in the hobbyist mechanical keyboard realm, but that doesnt seem to be an honest rendition of the current situation, haha. 

For now, what I have is the following...

IBM Model M w/ the ol' Bluckling Spring

Durgod Full-Size keyboard, Cherry MX Brown

WASD Keybaords Code v3 TKL Cherry MX Blue

Pok3r Vortex 60% Cherry MX Nature White

Nullbitsco Tidbit, QMK, OLED, Rotary Encoder, Numpad w/ Cherry MX Black

I find myself enjoying the Nature Whites the most, not so much the 60% layout though, it has its charms. I have long since desired a traditional 1800 keyboard as it reminds me of the Alienware 17 R1 keyboard, which I also enjoyed. Previously have always been a big fan of the MX browns (still am) but the Nature Whites are fantastic to type and game on. 

I am thinking of getting a QMK powered, "custom" Traditional 1800 PCB and build it out with MX Nature Whites. 

• Thumb Up 1

4 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

Kinesis Freestyle II. The ergonomics is good, key layout is not ideal though, especially the lack of standard insert. 

Oh a split keyboard? The layout reminds a bit of the Tidbit Snap. Never tried using that layout. Did you naturally gravitate towards that form factor or just decide to take the plunge one day? 

18 minutes ago, Reciever said:

Oh a split keyboard? The layout reminds a bit of the Tidbit Snap. Never tried using that layout. Did you naturally gravitate towards that form factor or just decide to take the plunge one day? 

I've used split keyboards since Microsoft Natural Keyboard came out, for personal use mostly. Have absolutely no issues using standard keyboards BTW. Also have the original Kinesis with mechanical switches, albeit they are too soft for me. The nice thing about the Kinesis Freestyle is the adjustability in terms of the width and angle. The switches are membrane but very pleasant. 

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

I have the Razer Pro Type,  i like the aesthetic of it, paired with the Pro Click. But the rest is crap 😄 Its to loud and typical razer its disconnects a lot...Got in contact with razer and they gave me  a Razer Pair Tool to reconnect it. Tool works but after a while its disconnects again and need to use the tool again....

I need to change it but i cannot find a nice looking white wireless Keyboard 😆

• Haha 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

20 hours ago, Etern4l said:

I've used split keyboards since Microsoft Natural Keyboard came out, for personal use mostly. Have absolutely no issues using standard keyboards BTW. Also have the original Kinesis with mechanical switches, albeit they are too soft for me. The nice thing about the Kinesis Freestyle is the adjustability in terms of the width and angle. The switches are membrane but very pleasant. 

Its an interesting concept, I never tried it myself yet but there is a pretty devoted following on those types of boards so it obviously works really well for those that click with it.

17 hours ago, cylix said:

I have the Razer Pro Type,  i like the aesthetic of it, paired with the Pro Click. But the rest is crap 😄 Its to loud and typical razer its disconnects a lot...Got in contact with razer and they gave me  a Razer Pair Tool to reconnect it. Tool works but after a while its disconnects again and need to use the tool again....

I need to change it but i cannot find a nice looking white wireless Keyboard 😆

That looks like a clean keyboard, nice aesthetic!

The one keyboard I have always wanted, but for reasons that I cant articulate, never bought, is the Leopold FC980M. I'd like for my next keyboard to have QMK functions though so that once again rules out the FC980M, but I can get the layout through other means.

I'm all about the Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000.  Split ergonomic layout (though IIRC not as split as the Kinesis Freestyle, still enough to throw off visitors though), and despite being a membrane keyboard I really like the key feel and travel.

The only downside is it's been discontinued for a while, so my source of keyboards is eBay.  I currently have two working, one for home, one for the office.

I also like the MX Browns, used those for a while at a previous job that had Das Keyboard 4, and I liked that keyboard enough to not mind the fact that it's a traditional layout.

For a while I worked at a place with a significant keyboard enthusiasts (build your own keyboard style) among the populace.  It's an interesting niche.  I never got that into it, but I suppose it's like the typing equivalent of being a car person.  Bring in a keyboard you'd build, use it for a short time, come up with some new ideas, have a prototype of a new one the next week.  I don't think there's ever a perfect, "this is the one I'm sticking with forever."

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

I use Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM tastatur with Cherry MX Speed key switches.

And a couple of unbranded cheap keyboards. They do what you want them to do but not much more. 

I'm in hunt for a much shorter full size mechanical keyboard. Come with options if you know about a few okish. Below 400mm long is preferred. 

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

2 hours ago, Papusan said:

I use Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM tastatur with Cherry MX Speed key switches.

And a couple of unbranded cheap keyboards. They do what you want them to do but not much more. 

I'm in hunt for a much shorter full size mechanical keyboard. Come with options if you know about a few okish. Below 400mm long is preferred. 

Full size meaning what exactly?

Dedicated Function keys I would assume given what you like to do, but what about standout arrow keys and standout numpad?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Reciever said:

Full size meaning what exactly?

Dedicated Function keys I would assume given what you like to do, but what about standout arrow keys and standout numpad?

I'll need the numpad. Most good keyboards with numpad is around 450mm long. I want it below 400mm. 360-380mm long would be nice. No need for a lot bling bling lights and such fancy functions you don't need. Just with lights (white) and numpad. And of course ok mechanical key switches. Up to 150$ for the price. 

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

28 minutes ago, Papusan said:

I'll need the numpad. Most good keyboards with numpad is around 450mm long. I want it below 400mm. 360-380mm long would be nice. No need for a lot bling bling lights and such fancy functions you don't need. Just with lights (white) and numpad. And of course ok mechanical key switches. Up to 150$ for the price. 

Leopold FC980MBT has everything on your wishlist except backlighting.

Leopold FC980MBT Two Tone White Bluetooth PD Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard (mechanicalkeyboards.com)

There's also the Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M RGB, which does away with the navigation buttons in favor of the numpad.

MasterKeys Pro M RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Cooler Master

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

10 minutes ago, saturnotaku said:

Leopold FC980MBT has everything on your wishlist except backlighting.

36 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Basically sounds like you are looking for a Traditional 1800 styled keyboard.

Leopold makes one of the best pre-built products on that front, basically the same I have been eyeing for some time now. The mech switch is more or less subjective but you can get the above unit that @saturnotaku suggested in a few different types.

There is also the Keychron Q5 but its too pricey, the V5 seems to get the point across at 90 USD, not sure what it would cost to you though @Papusan as shipping and VAT might drive it above the budget. I havent used any of their products yet so I cant speak to them personally, on paper look pretty good?

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

I have a Keychron Q6 that someone customized for me to be pretty much completely silent. I also have a stock Q1 with Gateron Pro reds that I'll be swapping for the new Novelkeys Cream Clickie switches. I say without reservation that they are the best keyboards I have ever owned. They may be expensive, but the Q1 in particular is a vastly superior product to the pre-assembled GMMK Pro.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Forgot to add in, it need to be  wired KB. I often play with fully stripped OS and don't want struggle with any wifi or bluetooth drivers. And thanks for all suggestions.

10 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Forgot to add in, it need to be  wired KB. I often play with fully stripped OS and don't want struggle with any wifi or bluetooth drivers. And thanks for all suggestions.

Pretty much any wireless keyboard that has an available USB port for charging also supports being used in wired mode.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 2

• 1 month later...

Just got a rog flare rgb keyboard with cherry red switches for free, it was the best keyboard under 100 cad came to 84.50!!(e-coupon)

I have never really owned a good keyboard until now and I can truly appreciate how much easier it is to type, heck dare a say satisfying. Im really digging the customisable rgb lights lol, dorky but some of the settings I have right now is just looks awesome, same reason I like christmas all the lights, something appealing to most of us about colors.

where does my keyboard stand in the ocean of keyboards? pros cons vs???

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

1 hour ago, ryan said:

Just got a rog flare rgb keyboard with cherry red switches for free, it was the best keyboard under 100 cad came to 84.50!!(e-coupon)

I have never really owned a good keyboard until now and I can truly appreciate how much easier it is to type, heck dare a say satisfying. Im really digging the customiseable rgb lights lol, dorky but some of the settings I have right now is just lookss awesome, same reason I like christmas all the lights, something appealing to most of us about colors.

where does my keyboard stand in the ocean of keyboards? pros cons vs???

I used one from about 2017 to last year. It was pretty mediocre, it got the job done, but there wasn't anything special in my use case. I would say the RGB looks pretty nice, but I usually run my keyboards a static white so I never really cared how good the RGB was. The pause/skip function was nice and the volume scroller was positioned well. I cleaned it regularly and besides one of the stands on the backing breaking, it held up well. My only gripe with it was that it was a bit big and that the keys got a bit shiny quicker than I would have liked, but besides those two problems, it was a pretty good keyboard in my opinion.

• Like 1

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo GTX 1080 | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | 1tb Samsung 870 QVO | 2tb Seagate 5400rpm HDD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD

16 hours ago, Reciever said:

You'd have to present it first

its the flare? im not sure what you mean by present it first?

@Tenoroon  has it been around since 2017? thats pretty wild I thought it was a year old. After using it for 2 days now I think it's pretty nice. the keys are a bit slippery and its easy to miss a key once in a while when typing because of the slippery feel. and the palm rest would be nicer if it was leather or something softer, but then again at 80 bucks its unlikely to have all of this. company needs to make a profit, otherwise its a charity.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

5 hours ago, ryan said:

its the flare? im not sure what you mean by present it first?

@Tenoroon  has it been around since 2017? thats pretty wild I thought it was a year old. After using it for 2 days now I think it's pretty nice. the keys are a bit slippery and its easy to miss a key once in a while when typing because of the slippery feel. and the palm rest would be nicer if it was leather or something softer, but then again at 80 bucks its unlikely to have all of this. company needs to make a profit, otherwise its a charity.

Yeah, it's pretty old. I'm pretty sure I got it for Christmas of 2017 but it may have been my birthday in February of 2018, I can't remember for sure. There's a Flare 2 that's about a year old. You might be mixing that up with the original Flare.

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo GTX 1080 | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | 1tb Samsung 870 QVO | 2tb Seagate 5400rpm HDD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD

Oic. At any rate I'm impressed. Has alot changed with keyboard technology in 6 years? Don't see what would be different 

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

30 minutes ago, ryan said:

Oic. At any rate I'm impressed. Has alot changed with keyboard technology in 6 years? Don't see what would be different 

That is a HUGE rabbit hole question. Honestly speaking here, if you are pleased with what you have then just leave it at that. It will save you a lot of money, time and frustration lol.

Lol oic. Yeah I was just trying to find something to talk about. It's a forum not a church. I think I'll just leave it at that. Asking where my keyboard stands in the big picture is a legitimate question. And I kinda hate people that think they know it all but really know very little about human nature and what's socially acceptable need to stop and maybe ask a question once in a while vs stating every opinion they have is a absolute fact every time they post.

Encourage questions or no one will come here.

and that was in general not directed at you per se

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

25 minutes ago, ryan said:

Lol oic. Yeah I was just trying to find something to talk about. It's a forum not a church. I think I'll just leave it at that. Asking where my keyboard stands in the big picture is a legitimate question. And I kinda hate people that think they know it all but really know very little about human nature and what's socially acceptable need to stop and maybe ask a question once in a while vs stating every opinion they have is a absolute fact every time they post.

Encourage questions or no one will come here.

and that was in general not directed at you per se

I grow tired of your passive aggressive victim perspective that you tend to respond with based on what ever mood you happened to decide upon that particular morning. Its not healthy.

Its the same advise I give to people who cant tell the difference between 125hz vs 1000hz polling rates, the same advice I give for people who cant tell the difference between 60hz vs 144hz+, same for 1080p vs 1440p vs 2160p, 1Gbps ISP vs 200Mbps. etc etc

No one, including myself, ever stated you cant ask questions or enter dialogue, all I DID SAY, is if you are satisfied with the product you have then its best to just enjoy what you have versus looking at the grass that appears to be greener in another yard. As its not something that can be described well to the point of ascertaining exactly what you will be getting from a product. It needs to be experienced, and that is expensive, especially if you are 12 boards in and still haven't found your "end game".

If you cant learn to stop assuming intent and instead ask clarifying questions to ascertain intent, you will continue to have a feedback like this in the future. This, I guarantee you, is directed at you @ryan.

• Like 1

I am starting to think about a good wireless KB/M combo for my ever slowly developing travel SFF. I want to minimize wiring as much as possible down to the display DP connect and PSU adapter and power cord. Everything will be wireless (Headphones, KB and M).

Priorities are response, size and price (IE Best gaming keyboard, smallest size and wireless along with mouse).

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)