NotebookTalk

Legion Pro 7 Display Swap

Recently I decided to attempt a display swap for the Legion Pro 7. My intention is that the standard WQXGA panel while nice for applications that support display scaling, is not really useable for me at 100% display scaling. Even worse under Linux where using Nvidia with Xorg does not fully support GPU scaling. Some other systems do offer lower resolutions but either have poor cooling solutions, high pitched fan noise, or are not available with the 13900HX or 4090.

My target panel was a BOE NV160WUM-NX3 V8.0 which is a 16 inch WUXGA, 165hz, 100% sRGB, 500nit panel which was used in the base model Asus M16 2022. Unfortunately no GSync support for this panel. It does have the same 40 pin connection, with the same connector location and pin pitch. Also electrically its backlight uses the same voltage range so the brightness steps used for the stock panel work as expected.

For the swap, the initial step is to remove the plastic display bezel. The back of the bezel is completely covered in adhesive tape. I used the iFixit Halbard Spudger to work the bottom center free enough to begin slowly pulling the rest of the bezel away while continuing to use the spudger to separate the adhesive as needed.

After the bezel is removed, the next part is the metal hinge cover. I used the blue iFixit Opening Tool, starting at the right edge. I was trying to use the tool to pull on the hinge cover while not pushing/leveraging against the display circuitry as it can damage the pcb or even crack the display panel.

After the hinge cover is removed now the double-sided tape under the display must be pulled off. There are two small tabs at the bottom of the display that can be slowly pulled to release the tape.

After the tape is removed the display can be rotated out of the a-cover and rest on the keyboard to remove the display cable connector. There is just a piece of tape and then a metal latch securing the cable to the display pcb.

I still need to pick up some replacement tape to secure the new panel to the a-cover. I will use Tesa 61395, and because this tape is not an L shape I will have to put a horizontal piece of the that is not adhered to the panel so there will not be a gap between the panel and housing. The vertical strips of tape should be enough to hold it in place and be removable via the same method if I need to swap it back in the future.

The bezel should be reusable as most of the adhesive is intact and its shape seems to be correct. It is a $47 replacement part from Lenovo if you want to make it look like new.

Some other people in the Lenovo discord are also experimenting with WQUXGA (4k) panels and miniLED panels with some success.

qhd_back.jpg

a_panel.jpg

qhd_front.jpg

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Got the tape in and here are photos with tape in place!

fhd_back_with_tape.jpg

a_panel_with_tape.jpg

• Thumb Up 2

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

9 minutes ago, Reciever said:

Excellent work, how is the fitment looking so far with the bezel? 

Not bad. It is sitting pretty squarely in the a-cover. It does have a bit of light bleed in the bottom left and right corners after putting the bezel back on completely. One of the slimmer edges wasn't sticking quite as well as I had scraped most of the glue off at that spot to start prying on it.

• Thumb Up 2