NotebookTalk

Looking for testers to try Windows 7 and/or 8 on their modern laptops (Intel 8th Gen or AMD Ryzen and later)

K4sum1

I'd like to make a list of modern laptops that work on 7/8, but I don't have $1000+ to drop on a modern laptop to test, let alone multiple of them.

The criteria that you need to meet is:

8/9th gen with UHD integrated graphics (not Iris Xe)

AMD Ryzen up to 12nm

Or

8th Gen and later with Nvidia cards up to the Ampere generation with the ability to disable the iGPU/Optimus.

AMD Ryzen (any gen) with Nvidia cards up to the Ampere generation with the ability to disable the iGPU/Optimus.

CSM support would help for 7, but it's not required. 8 testing doesn't require CSM.

Works flawlessly under 7:

Nothing yet

Works flawlessly under 8:

Dell Precision 7530 (Tested by a friend Moline)

Requires mods to work under 7:

Nothing yet

Requires mods to work under 8:

Nothing yet

Works with issues under 7:

Dell Precision 7530 (Requires UEFI mod (No CSM), requires ACPI mod, and trackpad doesn't work)

Works with issues under 8:

Nothing yet

Precision M4800 - i7 4810MQ, 32GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M2200

Thinkpad T430 - i7 3630QM, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 1080p display mod

Main PC - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti

I made it! On the Precision 7530 ,8.0 (6.2) requires an ACPI mod as well as having the classic (F8) boot menu enabled so you can DSE. You'll need to do this every time. In addition, modded Skylake Serial IO drivers produce a code 37 as well, meaning the touchpad doesn't work there. We can probably get them working under 7.0 and 8.0 if we backport KMDF 1.13 from 8.1 to 7.0/8.0. On Windows 8.1, the touchpad and everything else works flawlessly!

• Thumb Up 1

I need to add something about Windows 8.1 on the Precision 7530. While it works flawlessly, when you put the computer in sleep mode and wake it up, the touchpad will stop working. To fix it, you need to use the pointstick ball to navigate to the Device Manager, find the I2C HID device, and then disable and reenable it. This will cause the touchpad to work again. Alternatively, you can press Winkey+X and use the up arrow and enter key to access device manager. Once in, you'll want to press Tab and then down until it is over Human Interface Devices. Press the right key to open it up and press down until it is over I2C HID device. Press Enter and then press tab three times. Press right once and then tab three times until it is over Disable Device. Press Enter two times. I have no idea why this problem happens as 10 and 11 are fine.

On 8/1/2023 at 7:58 PM, Moline said:

I need to add something about Windows 8.1 on the Precision 7530. While it works flawlessly, when you put the computer in sleep mode and wake it up, the touchpad will stop working. To fix it, you need to use the pointstick ball to navigate to the Device Manager, find the I2C HID device, and then disable and reenable it. This will cause the touchpad to work again. Alternatively, you can press Winkey+X and use the up arrow and enter key to access device manager. Once in, you'll want to press Tab and then down until it is over Human Interface Devices. Press the right key to open it up and press down until it is over I2C HID device. Press Enter and then press tab three times. Press right once and then tab three times until it is over Disable Device. Press Enter two times. I have no idea why this problem happens as 10 and 11 are fine.

I'm guessing from what you say that it doesn't have a Fn hotkey to disable/enable the touchpad? 😕

Eh... I tried 8.1 on my MSI GL63 8RE back when it was new, with its i7-8750H, and GeForce 1050M.  It installed, but was flaky when it came to booting up, only succeeding a fraction of the time.  I decided to give Windows 10 a chance and it turned out to not be that bad after all.  Never went back to spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to get it to work.

There was a time when I would have been in the target audience for this thread, but at this point I'm only really interested in more recent or older OSes.

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

Interesting issue, my guess is something driver related, but without the hardware there's no way to be sure.

Precision M4800 - i7 4810MQ, 32GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M2200

Thinkpad T430 - i7 3630QM, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 1080p display mod

Main PC - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti