NotebookTalk

I just saw the most beautiful Asus G18 Laptop

Rengsey R. H. Jr.

haha sounds like you just fell in love 😄 those are quite the thin bezels for sure...

what kinda specs and price tag are we talking here?

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

The screen is nice, but that ZOMG G4M3R keyboard deck is still rather hideous. I don't even like the logo that's on the deck of the Omen 16 I'm using right now.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

15 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

haha sounds like you just fell in love 😄 those are quite the thin bezels for sure...

what kinda specs and price tag are we talking here?

I don't know what he paid for , but here it is listed $2400 

ASUS - ROG Strix 18" 240Hz Gaming Laptop QHD-Intel 13th Gen Core i9 with 16GB Memory-NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080-1TB SSD - Eclipse Gray

The only difference is that the model he have has Mini-LED screen. 

• Thumb Up 1

damn, had no idea that mini LED screens have already reached laptops! by any chance, u know the res/size, display model and how many background lighting zones it has?

edit: ah its a QHD screen, just realized 😄 the rest of the specs would still be nice tho 🙂 curious

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

12 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

damn, had no idea that mini LED screens have already reached laptops! by any chance, u know the res/size, display model and how many background lighting zones it has?

edit: ah its a QHD screen, just realized 😄 the rest of the specs would still be nice tho 🙂 curious

The screen is 18" 250hz, I believe it's QHD too. I do not know the model number. 

• Thumb Up 1

45 minutes ago, Rengsey R. H. Jr. said:

The screen is 18" 250hz, I believe it's QHD too. I do not know the model number. 

Sounds like the same panel used in the Helios 18, which was made by AUO. Does Armory Crate allow disabling FALD (single/multi zone) on this panel as they do with the 16 inch variant?

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

yeah i doubt this is a miniled model.

i remember searching for what laptops they sell in miniled and just checked again multiple regions and still listed as nebula hdr only

mainly limited to the scar 16 and the zephyrus duo 16 for gaming

it is a nice 500 nits peak brightness 100% dci-p3 display 240hz

but if you see the mini led they do on the those models the 1100 nits peak brightness and blacks are night and day

nothing beats opening a a website like this one and flashbanging yourself

20 hours ago, Izy said:

yeah i doubt this is a miniled model.

i remember searching for what laptops they sell in miniled and just checked again multiple regions and still listed as nebula hdr only

mainly limited to the scar 16 and the zephyrus duo 16 for gaming

it is a nice 500 nits peak brightness 100% dci-p3 display 240hz

but if you see the mini led they do on the those models the 1100 nits peak brightness and blacks are night and day

nothing beats opening a a website like this one and flashbanging yourself

I can assure you that it was a mini-led screen. Here is another picture that I took. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0d31c340e2aa8e4da155b8585a221a25.jpeg

with a high screen size and brightness you would be hard pressed to tell unless in truely bright content also the photos you take dont really translate well

especially considering someones cranked the brightness/contrast of that stock image used as a wallpaper ontop of camera compensation

heres my laptop at full brightness 1000 nits

and also at 30% about 400 nits

PXL_20231013_124235319.thumb.jpg.295c5e0a7538f2049e12e7b9bab23f62.jpgPXL_20231013_124312847.thumb.jpg.7f382592133cd82886710894a929fefb.jpg

fyi the 2nd was 1000 nits with some nice glare in top left thanks to sun blasting

3 hours ago, Izy said:

with a high screen size and brightness you would be hard pressed to tell unless in truely bright content also the photos you take dont really translate well

especially considering someones cranked the brightness/contrast of that stock image used as a wallpaper ontop of camera compensation

heres my laptop at full brightness 1000 nits

and also at 30% about 400 nits

PXL_20231013_124235319.thumb.jpg.295c5e0a7538f2049e12e7b9bab23f62.jpgPXL_20231013_124312847.thumb.jpg.7f382592133cd82886710894a929fefb.jpg

fyi the 2nd was 1000 nits with some nice glare in top left thanks to sun blasting

You can tell the difference , a lot. Look at how much rich the color and details on my picture. 

Edited: The picture was taken with a camera phone. That is just the wallpeper from microsoft. Nothing manipulated. 

On 10/13/2023 at 4:45 PM, Rengsey R. H. Jr. said:

You can tell the difference , a lot. Look at how much rich the color and details on my picture. 

Edited: The picture was taken with a camera phone. That is just the wallpeper from microsoft. Nothing manipulated. 

your argument makes no sense about colours looking richers etc

the pictures i just took where from my asus zephyrus  duo 2023

its a literal laptop with a mini - led display

so if your argument that your assumed mini led display looks richer than my pictures of a a laptop with a 100% mini led display you really dont know what your looking at

also looking richer can come down to anything which is why i said the image used in his wallpaper looks like the colours are cranked and the contrast

which i said before

perceived quality is skewed when you have an image with contrast and saturation cranked

since the original image i used for the wallpaper on my example there is less saturation and more depth overall

• Confused 1

On 10/16/2023 at 6:00 PM, Izy said:

your argument makes no sense about colours looking richers etc

the pictures i just took where from my asus zephyrus  duo 2023

its a literal laptop with a mini - led display

so if your argument that your assumed mini led display looks richer than my pictures of a a laptop with a 100% mini led display you really dont know what your looking at

also looking richer can come down to anything which is why i said the image used in his wallpaper looks like the colours are cranked and the contrast

which i said before

perceived quality is skewed when you have an image with contrast and saturation cranked

since the original image i used for the wallpaper on my example there is less saturation and more depth overall

Bro, did you not read the message. It's a stock floating wallpaper from Microsoft that changes every few minutes, you can't crank the contrast or saturation. You can adjust brightness. 

I know it's hard for you to believe because you read specs from the manual and it does not say the G18 comes with a Mini-Led. He could have modify or upgrade it himself.

But anyway, I rest my case lol. You can believe what you want. I know what I saw in person. 

2 minutes ago, Rengsey R. H. Jr. said:

Bro, did you not read the message. It's a stock floating wallpaper from Microsoft that changes every few minutes, you can't crank the contrast or saturation. You can adjust brightness. 

I know it's hard for you to believe because you read specs from the manual and it does not say the G18 comes with a Mini-Led. He could have modify or upgrade it himself.

But anyway, I rest my case lol. You can believe what you want. I know what I saw in person. 

"he could have modified or upgraded it himself"
"my friend from overseas"

"i cant get a model number"

Literally has no info

meanwhile asus specifically dont sell an 18 inch Mini-led and if they did it wouldnt be in the G18 their budget model

it would be in the Scar 18 which is their flagship

but alas they only sell Flagship 16 inch models with the mini led display, specifically the ZephyrusM16, Zephyrus Duo 16 and the Strix SCAR 16

but yeah "i know what i saw"

GL HF think you need to fix that eyesight mate

• Thumb Up 1

• 1 month later...

when its mini led or oled you can nearly instantly tell due to the inky blacks or contrast. I don't see in the pictures how its misinterpreted. but yeah interesting laptop for sure. I just got a vivobook oled and having an oled display in a game changer, I personally wont buy anything non oled now. the gains visually are just that big

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 12/3/2023 at 10:44 PM, ryan said:

when its mini led or oled you can nearly instantly tell due to the inky blacks or contrast. I don't see in the pictures how its misinterpreted. but yeah interesting laptop for sure. I just got a vivobook oled and having an oled display in a game changer, I personally wont buy anything non oled now. the gains visually are just that big

Yes I agree it's very obvious. And just to have a solid proof about the mini-led in the G18, I recently bought a G18 at Best Buy with RTX 4080 for around $1640 before tax ( The price is due to Customer Satisfaction), and I upgraded it to that same Mini-Led. You can see the resolution and the 250hz and the Peak brightness of 1,015. I took a picture of the G18 and also a snippet of the screen shot.  

I originally wanted to get the Scar 18 RTX 4090 , but no luck finding it at a good price. lol

IMG20231211203256.thumb.jpg.f8efb027d5080b50714f25da52553fb3.jpg

250hz.jpg

• Thumb Up 1

dare I say mini led is great but oled. You could put a oled display on that sucker, but Im not talking very technical. I have no idea what a mini led looks like compared to a oled but from my jump from a standard 4k triluminos pro sony tv as a monitor to my vivobook oled display, the difference is massively in favor of the vivobook and suprisingly I use the vivobook for hours a day just for consumption and chess.

also sir I got a laugh out of the picture proof, welp that puts the nail in the coffin concerning that arguement. hahaa. sometimes eh, hard getting through to people

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 4:39 AM, ryan said:

dare I say mini led is great but oled. You could put a oled display on that sucker, but Im not talking very technical. I have no idea what a mini led looks like compared to a oled but from my jump from a standard 4k triluminos pro sony tv as a monitor to my vivobook oled display, the difference is massively in favor of the vivobook and suprisingly I use the vivobook for hours a day just for consumption and chess.

also sir I got a laugh out of the picture proof, welp that puts the nail in the coffin concerning that arguement. hahaa. sometimes eh, hard getting through to people

There is no 18" OLED plus OLED has an issue with burn-in and reduction of light output in TVs and it depends on mostly non-static images and added use cycles at night to mitigate that burn in. Could be more of an issue with laptops depending on how they are run. I also think that they suffer from relatively high power consumption at a given brightness which is not very helpful in a laptop.

For watching movies on TV's they are however very nice to look at and I like them a lot, just not sure they are the best option for laptops.

• 3 weeks later...

I get pretty good battery life on my oled laptops, 9-10 hours steady use. the brightness is good, usually i set it to 60 percent as the contrast gives the illusion of being brighter than it is, it uses something called pixel shift so burn in won't be an issue, but I guess if you dont care for contrast its look elsewhere. mini leds get significantly brighter and have great contrast and color gamut also so there that, and they don't suffer burn in under any situation so I guess thats good but the cost of having one is astronomical, well it used to be. so I guess its give and take no perfect display

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled