NotebookTalk

4 controversial laptop trends that should never have made it mainstream

KING19

37 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

I mean just sell a chip that goes into a socket like with AMD and Intel desktop CPUs.

Obviously this isn't going to happen in desktops but it would be a perfect solution for laptops to widen choices for the users and drastically reduce SKUs for the manufacturers

I don't think socketed gpus work like that. They are much more complex. They are one board made for different phases and vrms. Unless I'm understanding this wrong.

7 hours ago, Reaversword said:

C'mon!, only shipments to the States!. This is the third one I see with shipments only the States. What a nightmare...

Aww man, that's a bummer. I didn't see that.

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

I have to say I miss having an RJ45 Ethernet jack on so many laptops now.

I know dongles work, they're fine, they're just... dongles.  A cludge IMO.  The issue with thinness was solved long ago with those ethernet jacks in thin laptops, the bottom of the port being a spring loaded flap that accomodated the relatively large RJ45 connector clip.

I've never seen a machine so thin (at its thickest point, usually towards the rear) that it could not use one of these spring loaded jacks that we used to get but I guess there just isn't the demand for ethernet there once was since the opportunity to stop including them seems to have been jumped on across the 'ultrabook' segment.

• Bump 1

On 2/2/2023 at 6:12 PM, pickled-egg said:

I have to say I miss having an RJ45 Ethernet jack on so many laptops now.

I know dongles work, they're fine, they're just... dongles.  A cludge IMO.  The issue with thinness was solved long ago with those ethernet jacks in thin laptops, the bottom of the port being a spring loaded flap that accomodated the relatively large RJ45 connector clip.

I've never seen a machine so thin (at its thickest point, usually towards the rear) that it could not use one of these spring loaded jacks that we used to get but I guess there just isn't the demand for ethernet there once was since the opportunity to stop including them seems to have been jumped on across the 'ultrabook' segment.

If a laptop can call itself DTR then it should have space for an ethernet jack as then it will not be so thing that the jack is an issue.

Personally I have zero interest in any network connector that does not allow for at least 2.5G and I hate those flaps. I guess one could argue that they offer some kind of protection from dust but that is being too kind imo as I never had an issue with dust in normal ethernet ports.

• Thumb Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest trend I wish would go away is the move to 2 USB - C ports and that's it. I purposely purchased my system because it had the ports I need, which seem to be going away.  Meaning I have to carry a USB C dock, a card reader, a HDMI hub, etc to do the same I can do with my current system...Counter intuitive imo. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses