Jump to content
NotebookTalk

OMGflash or nvflashk use on laptops?


anassa

Recommended Posts

So I search on this site but didn't see anything, last year according to this article someone broke the locks on crossflashing etc vbios.

 

https://www.techpowerup.com/312631/nvidia-bios-signature-lock-broken-vbios-modding-and-crossflash-enabled-by-groundbreaking-new-tools#comments

 

https://github.com/notfromstatefarm/nvflashk?tab=readme-ov-file

 

I don't see anyone asking if it would work for laptops. Anyone have experience? 

 

Seems really interesting . . . I wonder if it would allow for like 2080 users to flash a desktop vbios, I mean the chip is the same, open up the power limits, keep it undervolted to make sure it doesn't get to hot but have potential to run higher Mhz or power limits if desired.

 

@Papusan I saw you in the techpowerup thread, is it any use for mobile side of nvidia cards?

  • Previous lives: D900F / P150HM / P150EM / X170KM
  • P870DM3 **Pending . . .**
  • The daily: P750DM2  *Build Thread*:  8700k / 32GB 3200mhz CL16 / GPU?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • anassa changed the title to OMGflash or nvflashk use on laptops?
22 hours ago, anassa said:

So I search on this site but didn't see anything, last year according to this article someone broke the locks on crossflashing etc vbios.

 

https://www.techpowerup.com/312631/nvidia-bios-signature-lock-broken-vbios-modding-and-crossflash-enabled-by-groundbreaking-new-tools#comments

 

https://github.com/notfromstatefarm/nvflashk?tab=readme-ov-file

 

I don't see anyone asking if it would work for laptops. Anyone have experience? 

 

Seems really interesting . . . I wonder if it would allow for like 2080 users to flash a desktop vbios, I mean the chip is the same, open up the power limits, keep it undervolted to make sure it doesn't get to hot but have potential to run higher Mhz or power limits if desired.

 

@Papusan I saw you in the techpowerup thread, is it any use for mobile side of nvidia cards?

 

Hi I would ask Kefi... He should know 🙂

 

nvflashk - Flash any BIOS to NVIDIA GPUs - Safe board ID bypass up to 4xxx series
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/nvflashk-flash-any-bios-to-nvidia-gpus-safe-board-id-bypass-up-to-4xxx-series.312608/

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900K | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

 

                                               Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

                             

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am using it, works fine and flashed a HP RTX 4000 it works around the lock Nvidia put in. And today I flashed my GTX 1080 about 8 times till I bricked it and had to use the programmer to get it back to where I started. Alot of work and nothing accomplished, except knowing the vBios that don't work on my 1080's

As far as the RTX cards, I am leaving them alone, at least until some Wizard OC's a vBios to unlock the cards. Just swapping vBios to get higher specs and performance ain't worth it.

Clevo P870DM3-G i9-9900k-32.0GB 2667mhz-GTX 1080 SLI

Alienware M18x R2 i7-3920xm-32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000 

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 32GB DDR3-1600 P4000

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 20GB DDR3-1600 GTX 680M 120hz 3D

Precision m6700 i7-3840QM - 16.0GB DDR3 - GTX 970M 
Precision m4700 i7-3610QM-8.00GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz-K2000M

GOBOXX SLM  G2721-i7-10875H RTX 3000-32GB ddr4(Gave to my Wife)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, aldarxt said:

And today I flashed my GTX 1080 about 8 times till I bricked it and had to use the programmer to get it back to where I started. Alot of work and nothing accomplished, except knowing the vBios that don't work on my 1080's

 

Ah okay, I thought it worked only for RTX 20 and newer series? Are you only able to flash different vBIOS or were you able to edit power limits? Like increase the power for the RTX 4000? Or flash a RTX 4000 card with a 2070 vbios?

  • Previous lives: D900F / P150HM / P150EM / X170KM
  • P870DM3 **Pending . . .**
  • The daily: P750DM2  *Build Thread*:  8700k / 32GB 3200mhz CL16 / GPU?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, anassa said:

 

Ah okay, I thought it worked only for RTX 20 and newer series? Are you only able to flash different vBIOS or were you able to edit power limits? Like increase the power for the RTX 4000? Or flash a RTX 4000 card with a 2070 vbios?

I unfortunately don't know anything about that Jibberish. I brows through with neoprogrammer to see maybe the vBios version but thats it. Nvflashk uses CMD window here and flashes so far the RTX 4000 and GTX 1080 so I would assume any card can be flashed. As far as flashing vBios from different card I haven't done that but I did flash different vBios from same card models. Like RTX 4000 max Q and non max Q. And Manufacturers like Dell, MSI and such.

Another thing I was able to do was flash with the card running, it paused the graphics and restarted it but I don't think that is a good way of doing it, I think the right way is to go in safe mode flash and restart.

Can you tell me what vBios you have on the RTX 4000? I am searching for vbios 90.04.2A.00.0C it is for RTX 4000 max Q. I was trying to increase the power limits with a more powerful vBios from Techpowerup-z and made the mistake of not backing up the original, I really thought I did but it must have been another card

Clevo P870DM3-G i9-9900k-32.0GB 2667mhz-GTX 1080 SLI

Alienware M18x R2 i7-3920xm-32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000 

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 32GB DDR3-1600 P4000

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 20GB DDR3-1600 GTX 680M 120hz 3D

Precision m6700 i7-3840QM - 16.0GB DDR3 - GTX 970M 
Precision m4700 i7-3610QM-8.00GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz-K2000M

GOBOXX SLM  G2721-i7-10875H RTX 3000-32GB ddr4(Gave to my Wife)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@aldarxt

Thanks for sharing your findings, I actually don't have a RTX 4000 to pull a vbios from, sorry!

 

I wonder if something like the 3070 mobile could be flashed with a 3070ti mobile vbios. Of course it would be risky if the chip had defective cores, but otherwise a nice jump. Both use the GA104 chip. Also interesting is the mobile 3080 is the full GA104 chip just like the desktop 3070ti, the only difference being the VRAM being GDDR6 vs GDDR6X. There is also a 16GB desktop 3070ti version. I think the 3080 just needs more power, sure the GDDR6X has a higher power draw, but it is rated at 290w vs 165w of the 3080. The dekstop 3070 has less cores but still uses 220w, of course laptops have thermal limitations, but still . . .  a 220w 3080 card would be interesting I think, and still possible to cool with a P870.

 

For the GTX 10 series this exists:

https://github.com/LaneLyng/MobilePascalTDPTweaker

 

Not tried it yet, but might try on my 1080

 

  • Thumb Up 1
  • Previous lives: D900F / P150HM / P150EM / X170KM
  • P870DM3 **Pending . . .**
  • The daily: P750DM2  *Build Thread*:  8700k / 32GB 3200mhz CL16 / GPU?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, anassa said:

@aldarxt

Thanks for sharing your findings, I actually don't have a RTX 4000 to pull a vbios from, sorry!

 

I wonder if something like the 3070 mobile could be flashed with a 3070ti mobile vbios. Of course it would be risky if the chip had defective cores, but otherwise a nice jump. Both use the GA104 chip. Also interesting is the mobile 3080 is the full GA104 chip just like the desktop 3070ti, the only difference being the VRAM being GDDR6 vs GDDR6X. There is also a 16GB desktop 3070ti version. I think the 3080 just needs more power, sure the GDDR6X has a higher power draw, but it is rated at 290w vs 165w of the 3080. The dekstop 3070 has less cores but still uses 220w, of course laptops have thermal limitations, but still . . .  a 220w 3080 card would be interesting I think, and still possible to cool with a P870.

 

For the GTX 10 series this exists:

https://github.com/LaneLyng/MobilePascalTDPTweaker

 

Not tried it yet, but might try on my 1080

 

These RTX card seem a little sketchy, I would want to wait till there is OC'ed vBios  and that TDPTweaker looks interesting

    I stand corrected, This Looks Amazing, I really hope it works

  • Thumb Up 1

Clevo P870DM3-G i9-9900k-32.0GB 2667mhz-GTX 1080 SLI

Alienware M18x R2 i7-3920xm-32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000 

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 32GB DDR3-1600 P4000

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 20GB DDR3-1600 GTX 680M 120hz 3D

Precision m6700 i7-3840QM - 16.0GB DDR3 - GTX 970M 
Precision m4700 i7-3610QM-8.00GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz-K2000M

GOBOXX SLM  G2721-i7-10875H RTX 3000-32GB ddr4(Gave to my Wife)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, anassa said:

@aldarxt

Thanks for sharing your findings, I actually don't have a RTX 4000 to pull a vbios from, sorry!

 

I wonder if something like the 3070 mobile could be flashed with a 3070ti mobile vbios. Of course it would be risky if the chip had defective cores, but otherwise a nice jump. Both use the GA104 chip. Also interesting is the mobile 3080 is the full GA104 chip just like the desktop 3070ti, the only difference being the VRAM being GDDR6 vs GDDR6X. There is also a 16GB desktop 3070ti version. I think the 3080 just needs more power, sure the GDDR6X has a higher power draw, but it is rated at 290w vs 165w of the 3080. The dekstop 3070 has less cores but still uses 220w, of course laptops have thermal limitations, but still . . .  a 220w 3080 card would be interesting I think, and still possible to cool with a P870.

 

For the GTX 10 series this exists:

https://github.com/LaneLyng/MobilePascalTDPTweaker

 

Not tried it yet, but might try on my 1080

 

 

To bad that MobilePascalTDPTweaker does not seem to work for Turing alhough it claims to. There are pretty crippled versions out there of the 2080 and 2080 Super and as you say the 3080 famously only goes up to 165W when it could see pretty good increases in performance by allowing something between 200 and 220W TGP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

 

To bad that MobilePascalTDPTweaker does not seem to work for Turing alhough it claims to. There are pretty crippled versions out there of the 2080 and 2080 Super and as you say the 3080 famously only goes up to 165W when it probably could see pretty good increases in performance by allowing something between 200 and 220W TGP.

Why do you say it won't work for Turing? Did you try it? I just edited my P4000, am not trying my RTX 4000 or RTX 3000 yet since I bricked the RTX 4000. Not going back into the m18x r2 but will take the RTX 3000 out of the m17x r4 and install P4000 with modified vBios and flash with nvflashk, just in case of disaster I can fall back to RTX 3000 since it works. The P4000 can now be the guinea pig so I am stuck trying Pascal Tweaks

Clevo P870DM3-G i9-9900k-32.0GB 2667mhz-GTX 1080 SLI

Alienware M18x R2 i7-3920xm-32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000 

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 32GB DDR3-1600 P4000

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 20GB DDR3-1600 GTX 680M 120hz 3D

Precision m6700 i7-3840QM - 16.0GB DDR3 - GTX 970M 
Precision m4700 i7-3610QM-8.00GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz-K2000M

GOBOXX SLM  G2721-i7-10875H RTX 3000-32GB ddr4(Gave to my Wife)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, aldarxt said:

Why do you say it won't work for Turing? Did you try it? I just edited my P4000, am not trying my RTX 4000 or RTX 3000 yet since I bricked the RTX 4000. Not going back into the m18x r2 but will take the RTX 3000 out of the m17x r4 and install P4000 with modified vBios and flash with nvflashk, just in case of disaster I can fall back to RTX 3000 since it works. The P4000 can now be the guinea pig so I am stuck trying Pascal Tweaks

 

I was going by what @anassa posted that it worked for Pascal and also what I read on Reddit.

I only would have an RTX2080 to try that out and it is a very hard to find that MSI card so I certainly won't try it.

 

About your RTX 4000 I might have a vbios from a Dell 7760 for you, would that be of interest?

 

Edit: Never mind, that one has the RTX A4000 - Nvidia sure knows how to make them all sound the same...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I tried the TDPTweak on P4000. nvflashk gives me Invalid Firmware Image Detected IDK

 

OK since I am at it P4000 is in place so

P4000M_OC3.ROM coming soon!

 

I cant flash the P4000

maybe the neoprogrammer

2024-01-16_134253.png

2024-01-16_134129.png

Clevo P870DM3-G i9-9900k-32.0GB 2667mhz-GTX 1080 SLI

Alienware M18x R2 i7-3920xm-32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000 

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 32GB DDR3-1600 P4000

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 20GB DDR3-1600 GTX 680M 120hz 3D

Precision m6700 i7-3840QM - 16.0GB DDR3 - GTX 970M 
Precision m4700 i7-3610QM-8.00GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz-K2000M

GOBOXX SLM  G2721-i7-10875H RTX 3000-32GB ddr4(Gave to my Wife)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use