NotebookTalk

Is there someway to get windows indexing to work correctly all the time?

Kassowen

Of all the issues I consistently have with windows, the indexing feature seems to always falter the most. Anywhere from not finding a file next to another, to it completely stop working one day with no apparent reason why with no settings changed in it. Hell, even at times if I am typing into it, it will literally stop accepting input and cease to work. Any suggestions? I am in LTSC 2021 IOT. 

Is there maybe some 3rd party program that does better? Or is there a way to have indexing work properly? I keep setting it to enhanced, giving it all the time to build index, with nothing lmportant left out of indexing, and it usually works fine, but I dont know. Maybe it was a latest update, but I have found it to not work well even if updates where not an issue.

I've never found Windows Search to be especially reliable...

I use Directory Opus as an alternate file manager / File Explorer replacement, and it has its own file search function that doesn't seem to rely on Windows indexing.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 7:07 AM, Aaron44126 said:

I've never found Windows Search to be especially reliable...

I use Directory Opus as an alternate file manager / File Explorer replacement, and it has its own file search function that doesn't seem to rely on Windows indexing.

Alright thanks. For me it just seems to random not work at all, or switches to classic instead of enhanced, so I am not sure what to do. It usually works fine otherwise, though I think it might also be latest updates. And this is on LTSC of all operating systems... this said, is there perhaps some way to get indexing to work right?

• 2 months later...