NotebookTalk

M17X R4, turning on and off, on and off, on and off... after change from Legacy to UEFI

48 minutes ago, IVHOTEP said:

Hi there!

!"but I changed from Legacy to UEFI"

just switched? As I remember I had to do a disk format partition to GPT to reinstall windows so it can work in UEFI mode, could that be it?

when the laptop turns on and off cyclically after switching the legacy mode to uefi (or maybe even without this switching. maybe the reboot is cyclical, then this problem can also be in a damaged BIOS image) - it is definitely necessary to reflash the BIOS chip. I had this. I completely disassembled the laptop and unscrewed the motherboard and reflashed it using a programmer, taking out the processor, RAM and the like. connecting the charger to the laptop. only by taking all this out and connecting the charger - I was able to reflash the BIOS chip.

and yes, you are right that you need to change the system image and format the partition from mbr to gpt to be able to boot into the system. but the bios should boot without this. and you should be able to enter the bios without problems.

Alienware M18x R2: i7-3920XM @4.7 GHz / 24GB DDR3-2133 /  Quadro P4000 Oc`d

upgraded from: Tesla M6 Oc`d

Alienware M18x R2: i7-3720QM / 16GB DDR3L-1600 /  Quadro M3000M

Alienware 17 R1: i7-4710MQ / 16GB DDR3L-1600 /  Quadro M3000M

2 hours ago, IVHOTEP said:

As I remember I had to do a disk format partition to GPT to reinstall windows so it can work in UEFI mode, could that be it?

It is normal in this situation but my problem was with no post to the BIOS.  Now I know that reason was 120hz LCD and SG mode. 

Alienware M18X R2 - i7-3940XM@4.5Ghz - Quadro RTX 3000

Alienware M17X R4 - i7-3740QM - Quadro P4000

Alienware M17X R4 - i7-3610QM - Quadro P4000

Alienware 13 R3 - i7-7700HQ - GTX 1050Ti