NotebookTalk

What web browser are you using, and why?

Mr. Fox

What browser are you using, and why?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 01/01/2027 at 06:59 AM

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

What theme are you using for Windowblinds? I have tried it off and on for years, including very recently, and I can never get it to look proper. It has never functioned to my satisfaction because there is always something in the UI that is messed up for me and I have always regretted purchasing it.

However, that actually looks pretty decent, I must say. Please share and I will give it a go again to see if I like it. I'd really like to love Windowsblinds if I can, because I feel the exact opposite of love for any version of Windows after 1809. I am the kind of person that would identify one theme that I like and use it for more than a decade with no desire to even try another one because I place more value on consistency and predictability than anything else.

I do not like the Stardock Start menu. I think it is too functionally limited and doesn't produce as aesthetically pleasing results as StartIsBack does.

ive actually switched from startisback to open shell, which is what u see above. startisback was conflicting with windowsblinds and causing excessive blur on the taskbar. as for the theme its this one:

BetterAero7X by fytuf on DeviantArt

and the skin for open shell if u wanna give it a go is this one here:

http://www.classicshell.net/forum/download/file.php?id=5713&sid=d549c3cbde9b9aa4d2db7c1ed24f4f4e

youre gonna want to slide all the transparency sliders in windows blinds to the left to achieve what  ive done, along with glass and opacity set to 0 in open shell. like so:

820809192_openshellsettings.thumb.png.81cefadccc26816849f865630590d339.png

329327635_wblindsettings.thumb.PNG.2208d0248a3f08aa198c96785b58492b.PNG

and i couldnt agree more, i prefer 7s theme over anything win10 has. Vista also had a nice theme along with features that i wish win10 had by default like dreamscene, which ive added back into LTSC with wallpaper engine

• Like 1

Alienware M18X R2 | Nebula Red | i7 3740QM [OC'd to 4Ghz] | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 | 75hz OC'd Display |

MXM to NVMe Adapter with Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB

Alienware 17 R4 | i7 6700HQ | 16GB RAM | GTX 1070 | 100hz OC'd LG 1080p Display

Alienware M18X R1 | Space Black | i7 2960XM | 16GB RAM | GTX 780M

The Micro$oft Monkeys always get rid of the things they have done best, leaving us with nothing to give them credit for except their mistakes and failures. They are nearly as unlovable as the dullards at crApple at this point.

• Bump 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Still just use a mix for different purposes, when I travel I use opera with it's free built in vpn when I'm using hotel or public wifi but not otherwise bc there's no way to have it delete all cookies/data upon exit like waterfox/firefox/palemoon. Love the extensions of firefox and variants.

I switched from Google to DuckDuckGo: 5 surprising takeaways

I switched from Google to DuckDuckGo: 5 surprising takeaways pcworld.com

DuckDuckGo sets itself apart from Google by promising not to track your data. It may just be the privacy-conscious search engine you've been looking for. But what's it really like to use?
  • Thumb Up 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

6 hours ago, Papusan said:

I've been using DuckDuckGo as my default for a while now.  For a lot of stuff, it's fine.  For very specific technical searches (...software developer here...), I find that Google just does a better job.  (The article makes a similar point.)  Also, DuckDuckGo doesn't seem to take double quotes for exact terms as seriously as Google does.  So, I'm bouncing between the two pretty often...

Can't get away from Google Maps (on both desktop and phone).  Nothing else compares.

• Thumb Up 2

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Another thing on browsers...

Google is transitioning Chrome to their "manifest v3" system for extensions and will eventually be phasing out "manifest v2".  This is causing some "controversy" as manifest v3 extensions will significantly limit the ability of ad/content-blocking extensions to do their job.  This change will eventually trickle down to other Chromium-based browsers (Edge, Brave, Vivaldi, Opera, etc.).

https://developer.chrome.com/docs/extensions/mv3/intro/

Manifest v2 will be phased out in 2023.

https://developer.chrome.com/docs/extensions/mv3/mv2-sunset/

I use uBlock Origin and it looks like it will be impacted.  https://www.ghacks.net/2019/01/22/chrome-extension-manifest-v3-could-end-ublock-origin-for-chrome/  (This is an older article; maybe there have been developments since then.  I couldn't quickly find anything of note.)

Firefox has committed to keep supporting the "old way" of content blocking.  https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/10/23131029/mozilla-ad-blocking-firefox-google-chrome-privacy-manifest-v3-web-request

I saw this note indicating that Brave intends to continue supporting v2 extensions.  They'll have to stand up their own extensions "store", as the Chrome Web Store and Microsoft Store will both be pulling v2 extensions eventually.  (...Not sure if this will remain feasible long-term as the Chromium engine itself continues to change over time, making it harder for other projects to continue to shoehorn in v2 support.)  https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/20059

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

i use brave browser, its more secured , very light and support wallets for crypto if you r into that 

the speed of the browser is not as fast as chrome but i like to keep my distance from google data gathering . like inking and typing for windows is off 

Alienware M18X R1, i7 2960XM @ 4.4Ghz, Nvidia GTX 880M SLI , 32GB RAM , samsung 840pro + samsung 860evo ( THE BEST I EVER HAVE)

Alienware Area-51M R1, i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz, Nvidia RTX 2080, 64GB RAM, samsung 980 Pro( LOVELY MACHINE WITH BAD BIOS )

Alienware 18 , I7 4930MX @ 4.2Ghz , GTX 980M SLI, 32GB RAM ( MAY REST IN PEACE)   (CAME BACK TO LIFE) 

On 6/2/2022 at 12:44 AM, Hertzian56 said:

Still just use a mix for different purposes, when I travel I use opera with it's free built in vpn when I'm using hotel or public wifi but not otherwise bc there's no way to have it delete all cookies/data upon exit like waterfox/firefox/palemoon. Love the extensions of firefox and variants.

For deleting all but whitelisted cookies on close I use the "Vanilla Cookie Manager" extension, though there are probably many similar alternatives available.

On 6/9/2022 at 11:03 PM, Aaron44126 said:

I've been using DuckDuckGo as my default for a while now.  For a lot of stuff, it's fine.  For very specific technical searches (...software developer here...), I find that Google just does a better job.  (The article makes a similar point.)  Also, DuckDuckGo doesn't seem to take double quotes for exact terms as seriously as Google does.  So, I'm bouncing between the two pretty often...

Can't get away from Google Maps (on both desktop and phone).  Nothing else compares.

I use Startpage as my standard searcher which gives Google's results but without the Google tracking (and also a nicer UI and range of settings available). But if you want a truly different angle on things you probably need to use a competitor with their own independent crawler:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_search_engines 

E.g. I was trying out both Mojeek and Gigablast recently, and they do seem to be useful for certain kinds of searches at least. Though I'm still inclined to stick with Startpage for default casual usage.

Regarding Google Maps – it really depends on how you use it. I agree it has some particular features which are hard to replicate elsewhere, but I really hate it's map rendering style. It is overly abstracted to a series of points, with no sense given of the real geography (except via satellite view). It is also overly orientated around urbanite car drivers. Walking and cycling routes, and the entirety of the natural landscape, are completely missing from it. So on desktop I tend to use both it and Open Street Map in parallel. Google mainly just for its search and satellite, and OSM for actually understanding geography and seeing the fine details.

On phone I rely completely on Maps.me for navigation (based on OSM, but with nicer rendering IMO and also works fully offline). The only time I ever use Google Maps on phone is if I'm travelling without a laptop and wish to look up reviews for restaurants. Google have also made the app slower and slower over the years to the point it is barely usable on my phone.

• Thumb Up 1

46 minutes ago, Ishatix said:

On phone I rely completely on Maps.me for navigation (based on OSM, but with nicer rendering IMO and also works fully offline).

One thing I like about using Google Maps for navigation is its use of traffic data to select the appropriate route based on current conditions.  Does Maps.me/OSM have any/decent traffic integration?

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

On 6/18/2022 at 1:36 AM, Aaron44126 said:

One thing I like about using Google Maps for navigation is its use of traffic data to select the appropriate route based on current conditions.  Does Maps.me/OSM have any/decent traffic integration?

Yes, that is a particular benefit you reap from the Google spyware network 😄 ...but apparently you can get traffic info on Maps.me too now: 

https://mapsme.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007174554-Map-layers-guides-traffic-info-subway-map-and-terrain-layer

Though I have no idea where that info comes from or if / how intelligent it is at adjusting route in response. It also requires a data connection which kinda ruins the whole point of using an offline map provider in the first place in my view.

I don't own a car myself, but I did use Maps.me for car navigation during a trip with my sister last year and it worked fine, giving the same or better route suggestions as Google (when compared at our AirBnB). They both suffer the same issue of not really knowing what the quality of the roads in question are like, which is more significant than traffic in much of the world. Though I guess if you are in the US, the traffic question is likely the more important factor.

I also came across this useful post recently on alternative search engines with their own indices:
https://seirdy.one/posts/2021/03/10/search-engines-with-own-indexes/

As well as this article regarding the difficulty alternative crawlers have in competing against Google and Bing:
https://www.fastcompany.com/90759792/with-google-dominating-search-the-internet-needs-crawl-neutrality

For the most part, websites only allow Google and Bing’s crawlers unfettered access while discriminating against other crawlers like Neeva’s. These sites either disallow everything else in their robots.txt files, or (more commonly) don’t say anything in robots.txt, but return errors instead of content to other crawlers. The intent may be to filter out malicious actors, but the consequence is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. And you can’t serve up search results if you can’t crawl the web.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently dailying Firefox under Linux since I can't seem to find a Waterfox repo on Fedora (very lazy) and Librewolf to access Book of Faces to contact some family/friends from secondary school. It works enough.

Kirisame: Custom build

Ryzen 7 5800X

32GB HyperX DDR4-3733 CL18

ASRock Phantom D OC RX 6800XT

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 1:36 AM, Aaron44126 said:

Apologies for continuing off topic here, but I need to change my recommendation from maps.me to Organic Maps:
https://organicmaps.app/

It is basically an actively developed open source upgrade to Maps.me, and after testing it for a while now I have found it to bring a number of improvements.

Also, for car navigation I came across Waze, which uses crowd sourced traffic/road info:
https://www.waze.com/

And then coincidentally another friend happened to mention it to me today:

I have to say, for driving Waze is brilliant - as it has the traffic, diversions, hazards on the road etc
It did save us quite a bit of time when I came back from Devon with some friends a few months ago - we would have been stuck for hours on the M25 otherwise!

• Thumb Up 1

34 minutes ago, Ishatix said:

Also, for car navigation I came across Waze, which uses crowd sourced traffic/road info:

https://www.waze.com/

Waze is owned by Google so it doesn't really feel like I'm getting off of Google Maps if I switch to it.  😕

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

• 1 month later...

Microsoft Edge Is Now More Bloated Than Google Chrome howtogeek.com 

People love to rag on Google Chrome for being a bloated browser that eats up your computer’s resources. Well, Microsoft Edge has become even worse. It started out with good intentions, but Microsoft can’t help itself. They didn't need long time to destroy own browser.

• Sad 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bad news bro @Mr. Fox @Ashtrix+++ 

Chrome is the most popular browser on the planet and we reckon there's a fair number of people surfing the web with it inside Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. Well, bad news for them—barring a last-minute reprieve, Google plans to sunset its Chrome browser on Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 with its version 110  release that's due out in a few months.

If you're affected by this, then heads up that Google is tentatively planning to roll out its version 110 release of Chrome on February 7, 2023. That will be the last official update to Chrome that you'll see on your platform. To continue receiving future releases with new features and security patches, you'll need to update your platform to Windows 10 or Windows 11.

"Older versions of Chrome will continue to work, but there will be no further updates released for users on these operating systems. If you are currently on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, we encourage you to move to a supported Windows version before that date to ensure you continue to receive the latest security updates and Chrome features," Google explains in a recently posted support document.
  • Thanks 1

Old user of Firefox, for me still the best browser!

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

35 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Chrome is the most popular browser on the planet and we reckon there's a fair number of people surfing the web with it inside Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. Well, bad news for them—barring a last-minute reprieve, Google plans to sunset its Chrome browser on Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 with its version 110  release that's due out in a few months.

If you're affected by this, then heads up that Google is tentatively planning to roll out its version 110 release of Chrome on February 7, 2023. That will be the last official update to Chrome that you'll see on your platform. To continue receiving future releases with new features and security patches, you'll need to update your platform to Windows 10 or Windows 11.

"Older versions of Chrome will continue to work, but there will be no further updates released for users on these operating systems. If you are currently on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, we encourage you to move to a supported Windows version before that date to ensure you continue to receive the latest security updates and Chrome features," Google explains in a recently posted support document.

I think Firefox will follow suite eventually. It is kinda expected from these companies.

Because Microtrash has nowadays enforces new AAA games to have latest Windows 10 1909+, and in the future they will enforce Windows 11..,. shame how they kill their best OS ever made.

On the otherside, old news - Abbodi from MDL mentioned this back in time at deskmodder.de, last time you posted it. Not sure if M$ will update their ESU in the future or not. I'm worried if they push Windows 11 hard they might axe Win7 ESU policy entirely, at the moment it is still Jan 2023. Since Google alr announced, I think MS may kill the OS. I hope for a miracle... a small ray of hope to see the Windows 7 ESU extension upto 2026.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Helios (WIP)

i9 10900K // Trident Z Royal C16 4000MHz B-Die 32GB // ASUS Maximus XIII APEX // Noctua DH15 Chromax // RTX3090Ti FE // Alienware 360Hz G-Sync Ultimate IPS FHD // Seasonic Prime TX 1000 Titanium // Fractal Meshify 2XL

Ethereal Ranger

Alienware 17 R1 // i7 4710MQ // 16GB DDR3L 2133MHz // 980M 860M loaner // Windows 8.1

1 hour ago, Papusan said:

Older versions of Chrome will continue to work

Good enough for me.  I'd much prefer to stick with a predictable product over one that is constantly changing, sometimes in ways that I do not appreciate. I can always change to another product if and when I have identified a need or an opportunity to use something better. Until then, don't mess with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

image.png.3f257e511874affec9b7b68247470870.png

• Thumb Up 3
  • Haha 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:02 PM, Papusan said:

Microsoft Edge Is Now More Bloated Than Google Chrome howtogeek.com 

People love to rag on Google Chrome for being a bloated browser that eats up your computer’s resources. Well, Microsoft Edge has become even worse. It started out with good intentions, but Microsoft can’t help itself. They didn't need long time to destroy own browser.

Every version of Edge has gotten progressively worse so I'm back to Chrome for now.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

On 10/26/2022 at 7:41 PM, Papusan said:

im sure the windows 7 extended kernel thats being worked on will take care of this issue, if not theres alternatives like palemoon, waterfox etc

win7 ext kernel for those interested: GitHub - vxiiduu/VxKex: Windows 7 API Extensions

Edited by Azther
Added win7 extended kernel link

Alienware M18X R2 | Nebula Red | i7 3740QM [OC'd to 4Ghz] | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 | 75hz OC'd Display |

MXM to NVMe Adapter with Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB

Alienware 17 R4 | i7 6700HQ | 16GB RAM | GTX 1070 | 100hz OC'd LG 1080p Display

Alienware M18X R1 | Space Black | i7 2960XM | 16GB RAM | GTX 780M

Chrome and Firefox.

Chrome on my work laptop and Firefox on the personal one. No particular reason for one over the other.

I do have a problem with no apparent solution... whatever I do, I end up having way to many open tabs which I don't use and don't want to close either. At one point I was over 100 😲

• Thumb Up 1