Jump to content
NotebookTalk

What web browser are you using, and why?


Mr. Fox
 Share

What browser are you using, and why?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 01/01/27 at 06:59 AM

Recommended Posts

Hey guys. Long time Chrome user here. Before Chrome, Internet Explorer (which I actually still like a lot from a GUI perspective). I have tried hard to like Firefox, Brave, Opera, Vivaldi and Edge and I just can't like any of the browsers that compete with Chrome. They all have too many things that I do not like about them and none are as convenient to use.

 

Well... that was until a couple of days ago. I stumbled upon Opera GX. Yeah, I know... Opera. I've always viewed it as a joke. But, GX is different. It has a ton of features, looks good, runs extremely fast, and is highly configurable.
 

Opera GX has controls that allow you to set a limit on RAM and CPU resources the browser is permitted to use, and the controls are working really well for me. In Settings you can make the RAM and CPU limiter values persistent.

 

Naturally, I get rid of the the tacky-looking tiles, fake news and other worthless feces they throw on the default home page. Anything like that sucks to me, and if I can't turn off the news lies and propaganda the woke dummies intend to show me, then I'm not going to give them a platform for them to showcase their stupidity. That just makes me angry. If you are like me, you will want to disable GX Corner so you don't have to see that crap every time you open the browser. But, the bottom line is Opera GX is highly configurable. You can do it your way and stop being part of the sheeple flock.

 

I never in a million years thought I would be recommending something other than Chrome, and especially not Opera. So, I guess that is a nice example of why it is best to limit the use of the word "never" (unless you enjoy crow meat). Do yourself a favor and check it out. And, don't forget to cast a vote in the poll once you make up your mind.

 

https://www.opera.com/gx

 

00.thumb.JPG.0b5250356b3b85107dd040e9c5e070dc.JPG01.thumb.JPG.e3b58f09e73f2340f52a530fc8bee8e6.JPG02.thumb.JPG.91c0fc4dda27a3c7d9f02d35152c5340.JPG03.thumb.JPG.17d6ca9aa0b1b9af526eb9fde07e9fe4.JPG

 

As I mentioned above, I think this really sucks. So, I turn it off in settings.

 

image.thumb.png.073d572ea35efd9d217cc4351f2cf283.png

@Papusan

  • Thumb Up 1
  • Like 2
  • Bump 1

Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | EVGA 3090 K|NGP|N | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360

Banshee // ASUS Strix Z690-E | 13900KF | EVGA 3060 Ti FTW3 | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 850 B5 | XT45 1080 Nova Custom Loop

Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT | Team PremaMod @ HWBOT 

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Hey guys. Long time Chrome user here. Before Chrome, Internet Explorer (which I actually still like a lot from a GUI perspective). I have tried hard to like Firefox, Brave, Opera, Vivaldi and Edge and I just can't like any of the browsers that compete with Chrome. They all have too many things that I do not like about them and none are as convenient to use.

 

Well... that was until a couple of days ago. I stumbled upon Opera GX. Yeah, I know... Opera. I've always viewed it as a joke. But, GX is different. It has a ton of features, looks good, runs extremely fast, and is highly configurable.
 

Opera GX has controls that allow you to set a limit on RAM and CPU resources the browser is permitted to use, and the controls are working really well for me. In Settings you can make the RAM and CPU limiter values persistent.

 

Naturally, I get rid of the the tacky-looking tiles, fake news and other worthless feces they throw on the default home page. Anything like that sucks to me, and if I can't turn off the news lies and propaganda the woke dummies intend to show me, then I'm not going to give them a platform for they to showcase their stupidity. That just makes me angry.

 

I never in a million years thought I would be recommending something other than Chrome, and especially not Opera. So, I guess that is a nice example of why it is best to limit the use of the word "never" (unless you enjoy crow meat). Do yourself a favor and check it out. And, don't forget to cast a vote in the poll once you make up your mind.

 

00.thumb.JPG.0b5250356b3b85107dd040e9c5e070dc.JPG01.thumb.JPG.e3b58f09e73f2340f52a530fc8bee8e6.JPG02.thumb.JPG.91c0fc4dda27a3c7d9f02d35152c5340.JPG03.thumb.JPG.17d6ca9aa0b1b9af526eb9fde07e9fe4.JPG


Also a long time Chrome user but I’m willing to check this out as it definitely looks interesting. I run a few plugins/extensions on Chrome so hopefully those are supported here? Either way it looks fresh. 

  • Thumb Up 2
Spoiler

The Beast Asus Z790 APEX | Intel i9 13900K | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix OC | 32gb DDR5 8200 CL36 | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | LG 27GN950-B | Alienware AW2721D 1440p 240Hz G-Sync Ultimate | Corsair 170i Elite LCD 420mm AIO | Corsair 7000D | EVGA 1600w T2

Little Beast EVGA Z690 DARK | Intel i9 13900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE | 32gb DDR5 SK Hynix DDR5 8000 CL36 | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB | LG OLED C1 4K 120Hz G-Sync/FreeSync | Corsair 115i Elite 280mm AIO | Lian Li 011 Dynamic | EVGA 1000w P6

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mr. Fox changed the title to What web browser are you using, and why?
1 minute ago, Talon said:


Also a long time Chrome user but I’m willing to check this out as it definitely looks interesting. I run a few plugins/extensions on Chrome so hopefully those are supported here? Either way it looks fresh. 

Yes, same here. Never thought I would find anything good enough to replace Chrome, but this might do it if anything can.

 

And, yes... you can use Chrome extensions. It is built on Chrome and natively supports Chrome Web Store stuff.

  • Thumb Up 1
  • Like 2

Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | EVGA 3090 K|NGP|N | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360

Banshee // ASUS Strix Z690-E | 13900KF | EVGA 3060 Ti FTW3 | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 850 B5 | XT45 1080 Nova Custom Loop

Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT | Team PremaMod @ HWBOT 

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Talon said:


Also a long time Chrome user but I’m willing to check this out as it definitely looks interesting. I run a few plugins/extensions on Chrome so hopefully those are supported here? Either way it looks fresh. 

 

18 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Yes, same here. Never thought I would find anything good enough to replace Chrome, but this might do it if anything can.

 

And, yes... you can use Chrome extensions. It is built on Chrome and natively supports Chrome Web Store stuff.

It imported all bookmarks, passwords, etc directly from Chrome. So, I do have to worry about trying to fart around with manually trying to manage 10,000 things that I started saving since the beginning of time, LOL.

Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | EVGA 3090 K|NGP|N | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360

Banshee // ASUS Strix Z690-E | 13900KF | EVGA 3060 Ti FTW3 | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 850 B5 | XT45 1080 Nova Custom Loop

Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT | Team PremaMod @ HWBOT 

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Hey guys. Long time Chrome user here. Before Chrome, Internet Explorer (which I actually still like a lot from a GUI perspective). I have tried hard to like Firefox, Brave, Opera, Vivaldi and Edge and I just can't like any of the browsers that compete with Chrome. They all have too many things that I do not like about them and none are as convenient to use.

 

Well... that was until a couple of days ago. I stumbled upon Opera GX. Yeah, I know... Opera. I've always viewed it as a joke. But, GX is different. It has a ton of features, looks good, runs extremely fast, and is highly configurable.
 

Opera GX has controls that allow you to set a limit on RAM and CPU resources the browser is permitted to use, and the controls are working really well for me. In Settings you can make the RAM and CPU limiter values persistent.

 

Naturally, I get rid of the the tacky-looking tiles, fake news and other worthless feces they throw on the default home page. Anything like that sucks to me, and if I can't turn off the news lies and propaganda the woke dummies intend to show me, then I'm not going to give them a platform for they to showcase their stupidity. That just makes me angry. If you are like me, you will want to disable GX Corner so you don't have to see that crap every time you open the browser. But, the bottom line is Opera GX is highly configurable. You can do it your way and stop being part of the sheeple flock.

 

I never in a million years thought I would be recommending something other than Chrome, and especially not Opera. So, I guess that is a nice example of why it is best to limit the use of the word "never" (unless you enjoy crow meat). Do yourself a favor and check it out. And, don't forget to cast a vote in the poll once you make up your mind.

 

https://www.opera.com/gx

 

00.thumb.JPG.0b5250356b3b85107dd040e9c5e070dc.JPG01.thumb.JPG.e3b58f09e73f2340f52a530fc8bee8e6.JPG02.thumb.JPG.91c0fc4dda27a3c7d9f02d35152c5340.JPG03.thumb.JPG.17d6ca9aa0b1b9af526eb9fde07e9fe4.JPG

 

As I mentioned above, I think this really sucks. So, I turn it off in settings.

 

image.thumb.png.073d572ea35efd9d217cc4351f2cf283.png

@Papusan

I remember reading about this before launch. To be honest the thought of "the browser for gamers" kinda made me throw up in my mouth. So considering it seems like most of that crap can be disabled, what benefit does it have over plain old Opera

  • Thumb Up 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RandomIdiot said:

I remember reading about this before launch. To be honest the thought of "the browser for gamers" kinda made me throw up in my mouth. So considering it seems like most of that crap can be disabled, what benefit does it have over plain old Opera

I couldn't answer that because I haven't used Opera in a while. They may have overhauled it. But, I really like the amount of GUI customization and the ability to manually control what system resources the browser is allowed to consume. It is like everything Chrome should have been, but wasn't.  Chrome on steroids, LOL.

  • Thumb Up 2

Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | EVGA 3090 K|NGP|N | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360

Banshee // ASUS Strix Z690-E | 13900KF | EVGA 3060 Ti FTW3 | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 850 B5 | XT45 1080 Nova Custom Loop

Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT | Team PremaMod @ HWBOT 

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting to see this new version of Opera, haven't used it since like forever. I used to like Firefox before it's move to WebExtensions API back in the days, but haven't really gotten to use it much since then. I heard performance was greatly improved lately, but I'm just lazy to try it out again.

I've moved to Brave from Chrome several years ago. It's pretty much the same, but a little more "privacy oriented".

  • Thumb Up 1

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 7560
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840 x 2160
    Ubuntu 20.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

Axiom: Lenovo ThinkPad P52
    i7-8850H
    2x32 GB DDR4
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Windows 10 Pro

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The browsers I use most are Opera, Vivaldi, Pale Moon and Firefox in that order. Other options I have installed but very rarely use are Waterfox, Otter Browser and Tor. I would probably say Vivaldi is my favourite, but I still use Opera the most just out of laziness really that I still haven't managed to move all my setup over to Vivaldi yet. I never tried GX since it just looked like a gimmick to me. But maybe some of it's extra features really are useful if they don't slow it down too much?

 

The main things I dislike about Opera are its occasional insertion of advertising into your speed dial along with search defaults and shortcut limitations – I can't set Startpage as my default (but I always use search shortcuts so no biggie), and can't change some of the initial built-in shortcuts (so you can't e.g. use 'y' for YouTube, since it's already hard coded assigned to Yahoo). And it is a bit annoying not to be able to disable the built in extensions. So I kill the 'Opera Touch Background' and 'Rich Hints Agent' extensions from the task manager every time I start it (I'm not sure, but killing the latter may help to keep their advertising away). Vivaldi is much more 'user choice friendly' with things like this, and is closer to being the true spiritual successor of classic Opera, which was of course:

 

The old Presto engine based Opera was by far my favourite ever browser (in the period from versions ~9–12). Then when it borked itself with Blink I had to switch to Palemoon and a whole suite of Firefox add-ons to get the closest approximation of the same functionality back again that was there as standard in the old Opera. Then I switched over to using more Chromium extensions as both the Blink Opera gradually improved, and Vivaldi came along. Though on principle I'm not so keen on supporting the increasing monopolistic hold Google's technologies are having over the modern internet.

 

Probably we should have a whole separate thread on what browser add-on/extensions people are using. They often have far more impact on the UX than the browser itself.

 

Has anyone tried LibreWolf yet?

  • Thumb Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Used Chrome for a long time.  Chromium is a really solid engine.  I started to get apprehensive about Google's data collection practices, and ended up switching to Chromium Edge when it became available.  It was a pretty seamless transition because it could use Chrome web store extensions.  That was fine for a period of time, but Edge has become worse than Chrome now, so I had to get off.

 

I settled on Firefox ESR.  When I tried Firefox, I was really surprised at how much it has improved from a resource use / performance perspective.  (That was the main thing that pushed me off of Firefox, to Chrome, like a decade ago.)  Even though I think that Firefox's extension library was better before they switched to only supporting the WebExtensions API, at least this API supports porting extensions pretty easily from Chrome so I didn't have any issue finding replacements for Chrome extensions that I was using.  I disabled the Pocket/ads stuff.  I like the ESR branch in particular because they only do major updates once per year, on a predictable schedule.  So, instead of having to be on the lookout for privacy-impacting changes or obnoxious new features showing up at any time, I only have to worry about things changing and finding new stuff to disable once per year.

 

...And I kind of like supporting a world where there are browser engines other than Chromium.

 

Also I like to think back on my browser use history sometimes.  As I recall it:

 

1994-2001: Netscape

2001-2005: Internet Explorer
2005-2011: Firefox
2011-2019: Chrome
2019-2021: Edge
2021+: Firefox ESR

  • Thumb Up 2

Dell Precision 7770 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Dell Precision 7770 (personal)

  • Intel Core i9-12950HX ("Alder Lake"), 8P+8E
    • 8× P cores ("Golden Cove"): 2.3 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading
    • 8× E cores ("Gracemont"): 1.7 GHz base, 3.6 GHz turbo
  • 128GB DDR5-3600 (CAMM)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB (DGFF)
  • Storage:
    • 2TB system drive: Samsung 980 Pro, PCIe4
    • 24TB additional storage: 3× Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 8TB, PCIe4 (Storage Spaces)
  • Windows 10 (Enterprise LTSC 2021)
  • 17.3" 3940×2160 display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX211 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth)
  • 93Wh battery
  • IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

 

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

  • Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 (Enterprise LTSC 2021)
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth)
  • 95Wh battery
  • IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

 

Previous

  • Dell Precision 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chrome. Since eternity.

 

And Opera GX - as Edge f.e. - is Chromium based, so almost identical with Chrome under the hood.

 

Performance-wise, Opera GX is not faster than Chrome on my machine. Some of the features are nice to have, but lacking impact on my daily use.

 

As long as the "competition" also uses Chromium, there is no reason to use another browser than Chrome.

  • Thumb Up 1

Clevo P670HP6-G @OBSIDIAN-PC (2017), 17,3"//GTX1060//i7-7700HQ//512GB M2.SSD, external 32" UHD Display (defying BGA haters since day 1)😋

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ishatix said:

 

Has anyone tried LibreWolf yet?

 

I've been using Librewolf for a bit now. I guess its better than waterfox - which I was using previously. For my use Librewolf was a little over-secure, so disabled some of the features. Don't remember which ones now.

For my notFox browsers, after flip flopping between Opera and Vivaldi, I finally settled on Brave.

 

IMO, all browsers suck in their own way. It's just a matter of finding the one that sucks least for my needs

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used Opera since its launch, until Opera 12. Then I switched to Vivaldi and never looked back. Vivaldi imho is truthful to the inception of Opera, since its original Developers quitted Opera and started their own project because the direction that Opera was taking. And as User I noticed that problem after Opera 12: I got lost with the aggressive changes in UI and behavior of the browser and felt that the browser wasn't 'mine'. It felt like visiting a supermarket that rearranged the shelves and aisles from scratch every damn time that I went there.

 

So far, I can't complain, Vivaldi is perfect for my needs, even though it is starting to take the direction towards an AIO browser with calendar, email client, and many other stuff that gets added with each update (that I don't need).

 

but the good thing for me is that it is absolutely easy to turn off the feature or any feature that you don't need and use the browser as you want it to be. Highly customizable  to your needs is what I would call Vivaldi, also consistent: with each update you never find asking yourself 'what how do I do this as before? where is this button/feature now? where did they move this option? what the hell did they do to my custom experience?'

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 2/25/2022 at 3:54 PM, RandomIdiot said:

 

I've been using Librewolf for a bit now. I guess its better than waterfox - which I was using previously. For my use Librewolf was a little over-secure, so disabled some of the features. Don't remember which ones now.

For my notFox browsers, after flip flopping between Opera and Vivaldi, I finally settled on Brave.

 

IMO, all browsers suck in their own way. It's just a matter of finding the one that sucks least for my needs

Thanks for the feedback! I will have to try out LibreWolf sometime. Another one I forgot about in my previous post is Librefox which rather than being a fork is instead simply a privacy and security enhanced configuration of Firefox itself.

 

What do you like about Brave? I've never tried it myself due to its more business orientated philosophy. But it's probably more transparent at least than say Opera or Chrome.

 

23 hours ago, duskw4lker said:

I used Opera since its launch, until Opera 12. Then I switched to Vivaldi and never looked back. Vivaldi imho is truthful to the inception of Opera, since its original Developers quitted Opera and started their own project because the direction that Opera was taking. And as User I noticed that problem after Opera 12: I got lost with the aggressive changes in UI and behavior of the browser and felt that the browser wasn't 'mine'. It felt like visiting a supermarket that rearranged the shelves and aisles from scratch every damn time that I went there.

 

So far, I can't complain, Vivaldi is perfect for my needs, even though it is starting to take the direction towards an AIO browser with calendar, email client, and many other stuff that gets added with each update (that I don't need).

 

but the good thing for me is that it is absolutely easy to turn off the feature or any feature that you don't need and use the browser as you want it to be. Highly customizable  to your needs is what I would call Vivaldi, also consistent: with each update you never find asking yourself 'what how do I do this as before? where is this button/feature now? where did they move this option? what the hell did they do to my custom experience?'

 

Yes, yes and yes! User choice is key to me, and something that seems to go out the window first with corporate controlled software (and hardware for that matter).

  • Bump 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Waterfox Classic, I like the customizibility and the ability to use the more powerful, classic extensions that were dropped with Firefox 57 and newer.

ScreenShot_20220226194143.thumb.png.c090e536cdfbd88b215f4a782c72e9e0.png

  • Thumb Up 1

Thinkpad T430 - i7 3630QM, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 1080p display mod

Elitebook 8770W - i5 3320M (Temporary), 16GB RAM, GTX 980m (broken)

Main PC - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/25/2022 at 8:54 AM, RandomIdiot said:

IMO, all browsers suck in their own way. It's just a matter of finding the one that sucks least for my needs

Amen to that. It's really true. IE was the last real no-nonsense piece of software for view web pages. I'd still be using it if so many web pages didn't mitch and boan about it. That whole era of computing was better because things were simple. Then somebody thought it would be special to try to make web browsers a digital Swiss Army knife. Now we have Chrome OS. Computing in general is starting to suck and the suckiness of web browsers, and software as a whole, is a symptom of it.

  • Thumb Up 1

Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | EVGA 3090 K|NGP|N | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360

Banshee // ASUS Strix Z690-E | 13900KF | EVGA 3060 Ti FTW3 | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 850 B5 | XT45 1080 Nova Custom Loop

Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT | Team PremaMod @ HWBOT 

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vivaldi has been my primary browser since 2017.  Perhaps unsurprisingly, Opera Presto was my main browser from 2007 through 2015 (2016 was a year of transition, with Firefox also being a primary browser for part of the year).  Opera Presto was king of power user features and customizeability without extensions, and now Vivaldi has taken up that mantle.

 

And truthfully, I don't even use that many of the features Vivaldi has.  But the ones I do use I really like.  Single-key shortcuts are a must, the History panel on Vivaldi is miles beyond any other browser which is great for finding something I looked up last month but can't quite remember where (especially if I remember it was a Tuesday or a couple days before some event), and I've finally mostly migrated my RSS feeds to Vivaldi from Opera Presto.

 

Second-most these days is Firefox.  There are a few sites I try to remember to use there because it blocks auto-playing videos (including non-ad videos).

 

I still occasionally use Opera Presto, but it's a distant third these days.  Sometimes I'll pull it up as an alternative to another tab in the same browser, for cases where it's nice to have that visual separation of tabs, and when I know the site will work in Opera Presto in 2022.  The nice thing is my muscle memory of shortcuts transfers between Vivaldi and Opera Presto, unlike Vivaldi and Firefox.

 

Chrome was never alive to me due to Google's privacy policies (including the very first one they shipped with Chrome).  Opera Blink was initially dead to me because they dropped all the features, but has been more permanently since they sold it to China.  China's domestic monitoring of the Internet is far too creepy and controlling for me to want a Chinese developer to be behind my web browser.

 

Never heard of LibreWolf or Epic, didn't know DuckDuckGo had a browser despite it being my primary search engine.

 

I also have a few oddball browsers installed for super niche cases, nostalgia, or just to try them out.  These include a 10-year-old version of K-Meleon, SeaMonkey, Netscape Navigator, and Serpent.  Netscape is probably my favorite of those due to its non-minimalist UI, but of course it doesn't work with many sites these days.

  • Thumb Up 2

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 8 GB | 32 GB DDR3 | 850 Evo + HDDs | Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 16 GB DDR4 | 512 GB SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sandy Bridge said:

Vivaldi has been my primary browser since 2017.  Perhaps unsurprisingly, Opera Presto was my main browser from 2007 through 2015 (2016 was a year of transition, with Firefox also being a primary browser for part of the year).  Opera Presto was king of power user features and customizeability without extensions, and now Vivaldi has taken up that mantle.

 

And truthfully, I don't even use that many of the features Vivaldi has.  But the ones I do use I really like.  Single-key shortcuts are a must, the History panel on Vivaldi is miles beyond any other browser which is great for finding something I looked up last month but can't quite remember where (especially if I remember it was a Tuesday or a couple days before some event), and I've finally mostly migrated my RSS feeds to Vivaldi from Opera Presto.

 

Second-most these days is Firefox.  There are a few sites I try to remember to use there because it blocks auto-playing videos (including non-ad videos).

 

I still occasionally use Opera Presto, but it's a distant third these days.  Sometimes I'll pull it up as an alternative to another tab in the same browser, for cases where it's nice to have that visual separation of tabs, and when I know the site will work in Opera Presto in 2022.  The nice thing is my muscle memory of shortcuts transfers between Vivaldi and Opera Presto, unlike Vivaldi and Firefox.

 

Chrome was never alive to me due to Google's privacy policies (including the very first one they shipped with Chrome).  Opera Blink was initially dead to me because they dropped all the features, but has been more permanently since they sold it to China.  China's domestic monitoring of the Internet is far too creepy and controlling for me to want a Chinese developer to be behind my web browser.

 

Never heard of LibreWolf or Epic, didn't know DuckDuckGo had a browser despite it being my primary search engine.

 

I also have a few oddball browsers installed for super niche cases, nostalgia, or just to try them out.  These include a 10-year-old version of K-Meleon, SeaMonkey, Netscape Navigator, and Serpent.  Netscape is probably my favorite of those due to its non-minimalist UI, but of course it doesn't work with many sites these days.

 

Good point about the history panel in Vivaldi – the Opera history view is extremely frustrating and buggy to use by comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2022 at 9:07 PM, Mr. Fox said:

Hey guys. Long time Chrome user here. Before Chrome, Internet Explorer (which I actually still like a lot from a GUI perspective). I have tried hard to like Firefox, Brave, Opera, Vivaldi and Edge and I just can't like any of the browsers that compete with Chrome. They all have too many things that I do not like about them and none are as convenient to use.

 

Well... that was until a couple of days ago. I stumbled upon Opera GX. Yeah, I know... Opera. I've always viewed it as a joke. But, GX is different. It has a ton of features, looks good, runs extremely fast, and is highly configurable.
 

Opera GX has controls that allow you to set a limit on RAM and CPU resources the browser is permitted to use, and the controls are working really well for me. In Settings you can make the RAM and CPU limiter values persistent.

 

Naturally, I get rid of the the tacky-looking tiles, fake news and other worthless feces they throw on the default home page. Anything like that sucks to me, and if I can't turn off the news lies and propaganda the woke dummies intend to show me, then I'm not going to give them a platform for them to showcase their stupidity. That just makes me angry. If you are like me, you will want to disable GX Corner so you don't have to see that crap every time you open the browser. But, the bottom line is Opera GX is highly configurable. You can do it your way and stop being part of the sheeple flock.

 

I never in a million years thought I would be recommending something other than Chrome, and especially not Opera. So, I guess that is a nice example of why it is best to limit the use of the word "never" (unless you enjoy crow meat). Do yourself a favor and check it out. And, don't forget to cast a vote in the poll once you make up your mind.

 

https://www.opera.com/gx

 

00.thumb.JPG.0b5250356b3b85107dd040e9c5e070dc.JPG01.thumb.JPG.e3b58f09e73f2340f52a530fc8bee8e6.JPG02.thumb.JPG.91c0fc4dda27a3c7d9f02d35152c5340.JPG03.thumb.JPG.17d6ca9aa0b1b9af526eb9fde07e9fe4.JPG

 

As I mentioned above, I think this really sucks. So, I turn it off in settings.

 

image.thumb.png.073d572ea35efd9d217cc4351f2cf283.png

@Papusan

Good to know. Thanks for sharing. It looks like it's built off of the Chrome engine, at least to me anyway. Lol. The last I remember, you were using Brave. Did that not pan out for you?

  • Thumb Up 1

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero || Ryzen 9 5950x || nVidia RTX 3090 FE || 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz || Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2 + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB M.2

MSI GE67HX 12UHS-069 || i9 12900HX || nVidia RTX 3080 Ti || 15.6" 2560x1440 OLED 240Hz || 32GB DDR5 4800Mhz || Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 + Samsung 980 Pro 2TB M.2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Good to know. Thanks for sharing. It looks like it's built off of the Chrome engine, at least to me anyway. Lol. The last I remember, you were using Brave. Did that not pan out for you?

Yes, it is based on Chrome and that is one of the reasons it is decent. I liked Brave but found using it too inconvenient in terms of sync function and having to unblock too many things. It is more secure, but I value the convenience more than I worry about security. Both are important, but if I am going to use something that is more secure it needs to be equally convenient as what I am giving up.

  • Thumb Up 2

Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | EVGA 3090 K|NGP|N | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360

Banshee // ASUS Strix Z690-E | 13900KF | EVGA 3060 Ti FTW3 | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 850 B5 | XT45 1080 Nova Custom Loop

Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT | Team PremaMod @ HWBOT 

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vivaldi seems interesting, but I would prefer the ability to have Aero on the top bar like in every other browser.

 

  • Thumb Up 1

Thinkpad T430 - i7 3630QM, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 1080p display mod

Elitebook 8770W - i5 3320M (Temporary), 16GB RAM, GTX 980m (broken)

Main PC - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i currently main the modern Waterfox. previously i was using Vivaldi but it started to do weird stuff like crashing when a paypal popup window opened after it received its latest update some time ago. due to that i switched to Firefox to begin with, then found out Waterfox was a more privacy focused and stripped down version based on Firefox ESR so ive since stuck with that.

image.png.49f58b9f7e2cdea438dabe9954c89f77.png

Alienware M18X R2 | Nebula Red | i7 3740QM [OC'd to 4Ghz] | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 | 75hz OC'd Display |

MXM to NVMe Adapter with Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB

Alienware 17 R4 | i7 6700HQ | 16GB RAM | GTX 1070 | 100hz OC'd LG 1080p Display

Alienware M18X R1 | Space Black | i7 2960XM | 16GB RAM | GTX 780M

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah waterfox my default with firefox and palemoon for specific purposes. Also an older opera portable, one  thing I like is that opera has a built in vpn. What I like about the firefox/variants is that you can set it to delete cookies, history etc upon exit. I usually will only login to certain sites using those so I don't give any browsing info etc to them other than the specific site I logged into.  gmail, disqus are examples. Opera and variants ie vivaldi, are the fastest to load though that's for sure. I usually just keep the already installed browser, explorer I think, as my default so if there's tracking or bug it usually goes after the default browser which I never use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When Netscape died I moved to Mozilla Firefox and used it for everything with no problem for years, but a few months ago it started to have a lot of issues, specially performance issues, so I moved to Brave and it's been great so far.

 

I wanted to try Opera GX a few months ago when I ditched Firefox but I can't touch anything with the "gaming" brand on it.

CLEVO PT870TM1-G || i7 8700K || 32 GB 2400MHz || Nvidia GTX 1080 x 2 || 1440p @120Hz
HP ZBOOK 17 G3 || Xeon E3-1535M v5 || 16 GB 2400MHz || Nvidia Quadro GTX M5000M || 1080p @60Hz
DELL PRECISION M6400 || C2Q QX9300 || Nvidia Quadro FX3700M || 1200p @60Hz || RETIRED

LG 27UK850-W || 2160p @60Hz || AMD Freesync
OC.net profile (luisxd)

Heatware profile (luisxd)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/25/2022 at 4:31 PM, defcon42 said:

Chrome. Since eternity.

 

As long as the "competition" also uses Chromium, there is no reason to use another browser than Chrome.

Yep. And there isn't many reasons to go from another Chromium browser. And I won't touch Windows newer browser. Microsoft have the bad habit add in too much junk/bloat. 

 

Here's a few.... 

microsoft edge website

Is Microsoft adding too many controversial features to its Edge browser?

 

Microsoft is adding more bloat to Edge with a Games button

by Ashwin on Dec 28, 2021 in Microsoft Edge - 27

Microsoft is adding a new feature to Edge, but you're probably not going to like it. The Chromium-based browser now has a games button, because why not? 

 

Microsoft's Buy Now, Pay Later integration in Edge is highly controversial

by Martin Brinkmann on Nov 30, 2021 in Microsoft Edge - 35

Microsoft announced a new addition to the company's Microsoft Edge web browser in mid-November. Available only in Insider Builds of Edge at the time, the feature was rolled out in Edge 96 

  • Thumb Up 1

"The Killer"  ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex | 13900K | Zotac graphics | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt  |  Custom Loop

 Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use