NotebookTalk

Project is in the Works + Small update(s) - Discussion Thread

Thank you, Receiver! Much appreciated that you're creating a thread for announcement discussion (and for all the hard work you do on this forum!)

Can we move this "Internal Announcement Discussion" subforum elsewhere, such as making it a subforum of the Internal News / Announcements forum? I honestly would have never thought to look under a category like Tech > News & Bargains to find internal website discussions. I missed suggesting names for the forum because I didn't see the thread here early enough, and I doubt most people would think to look in a "Tech Bargains" forum here for discussion of internal website announcements either. 

• Thumb Up 1

Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15" NP940X5N - 15.0" 1080p IPS glossy touchscreen | Intel Coffeelake i7-8550U CPU | AMD Radeon 540 GPU with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM | 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 RAM | 256GB SSD | Intel Wireless AC 8625 | S Pen

MSI GS43VR 6RE Phantom Pro - 14" 1080p IPS matte screen | Intel Skylake i7-6700HQ CPU | nVidia Pascal GTX 1060 GPU with 6GB GDDR5 VRAM | 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 2400MHz RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 860 Evo 2.5" SSD | Intel Wireless AC 8260 | Thunderbolt 3 port | IC Diamond Thermal Compound on CPU + GPU

33 minutes ago, Prototime said:

Thank you, Receiver! Much appreciated that you're creating a thread for announcement discussion (and for all the hard work you do on this forum!)

Can we move this "Internal Announcement Discussion" subforum elsewhere, such as making it a subforum of the Internal News / Announcements forum? I honestly would have never thought to look under a category like Tech > News & Bargains to find internal website discussions. I missed suggesting names for the forum because I didn't see the thread here early enough, and I doubt most people would think to look in a "Tech Bargains" forum here for discussion of internal website announcements either. 

I think that is fair, I will make the necessary changes probably tomorrow.

• Thumb Up 2

Appreciate y'all doing all this. 

As for attracting traffic, I'll put the obvious first steps out for discussion:

1) Petition the redirect URL for NBR to at least add this site to their posted suggested options (if not make it the only link):  https://www.techtarget.com/technologyguide/

2) Acquire a URL with NotebookTalk in it (or change forum name to similar one you can acquire.)

And after you get things organized here the way you want them...

3) Initiate some SEO for the new site after you settle on final URL.

As to content, I really appreciated Aaron's Dell Precision key posts post with links to prior posted troubleshooting and resolution for those models. I think similar posts for other brands/lines will attract more members. 

But for the most part I think over time you'll get the If you build it they will come response as old and new members discover the new site and filter back in. 

• Thumb Up 1

3 hours ago, Asleep said:

Acquire a URL with NotebookTalk in it

notebooktalk.net already redirects to efgxt.net

• Thumb Up 2

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

6 hours ago, Asleep said:

1) Petition the redirect URL for NBR to at least add this site to their posted suggested options (if not make it the only link):  https://www.techtarget.com/technologyguide/

Not happening, unfortunately; the mods tried to get them to list all three of the spin-off forums (two of which have since died) but basically no one was able to get any sort of response out of TechTarget during the closure/transition period.

3 hours ago, serpro69 said:

This will be reversed soon (efgxt.net pointing to notebooktalk.net, which will be the primary domain for this site).

• Thumb Up 3

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

3 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

This will be reversed soon (efgxt.net pointing to notebooktalk.net, which will be the primary domain for this site).

Yeah, I know. Was just pointing out that we already have the notebooktalk.net domain name :)

• Thumb Up 2

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

Sub-forum has been moved and notated just so I can update formally in the next announcement.

As for petitioning TechTarget, thats not going to happen. They dont have any desire for the forums to begin with. We were lucky to have the cut off date extended and that I believe is solely due to efforts made by @Charles P. Jefferies to which I am eternally grateful.

It would be more beneficial to determine whether or not its worth the risk of importing the "legacy" content into the forum.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Reciever said:

Sub-forum has been moved and notated just so I can update formally in the next announcement.

As for petitioning TechTarget, thats not going to happen. They dont have any desire for the forums to begin with. We were lucky to have the cut off date extended and that I believe is solely due to efforts made by @Charles P. Jefferies to which I am eternally grateful.

It would be more beneficial to determine whether or not its worth the risk of importing the "legacy" content into the forum.

Import the legacy content into the forum. They shut down the forums without care and not even willing to sell, it is like trash to them. Time to start making big moves, Make notebooktalk main domain and import the old content, waiting too much nearly led to the community splitting into three parts, thankfully that problem resolved itself but now is the time to take other big decisions.

Just now, RS4 said:

Import the legacy content into the forum. They shut down the forums without care and not even willing to sell, it is like trash to them. Time to start making big moves, Make notebooktalk main domain and import the old content, waiting too much nearly led to the community splitting into three parts, thankfully that problem resolved itself but now is the time to take other big decisions.

They may not care about selling the forum database but that doesnt mean I want to invite lawsuits either, otherwise this would've already taken place. It may still happen in the future but at the moment we still have plenty of action items to work on. If there is potential to easily remove the imported threads/legacy forum then we may give it a shot. Otherwise we would be forced to shut down the forum due to not being able to purge the data effectively and I dont have a pocketbook large enough to tackle that in court.

The addition of the other forums would've taken place regardless of any period of time invested before launching this forum. 

• Thumb Up 1

On 3/8/2022 at 2:58 AM, serpro69 said:

Cool, did not realize. Once it only resolves to the new url then it’s a matter of content content content and time. I think some well titled & placed topics on other forums will help keep the momentum ball rolling.

I see https://twitter.com/notebooktalk is a dormant account, I don’t know if it’s available to acquire or not? 

Having a header design and logo will pretty up the forums a bit, make it look less brand new.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1