NotebookTalk

All about "security and anti-virus software".

Papusan

15 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Oh no. Somebody call 9-1-1. We're all gonna die. *yawn* I'm so scared. *sniff* And global warming. And stuff. *smack* Where's my binky?

But isn't it cute? Prosumers/corporate that need 100% security for every day tasks needs to diasable SMT technology (HT) on all later Ryzen chips. I remember when the fanboys on the Red side bashed Intel for similar  vulnerability flaws. And said this would never happen if you bought newer AMD chips due they was properly engineered, LOOL

SQUIP games: A serious AMD Ryzen flaw can only be fixed by slowing the CPU down

"So in order to mitigate the vulnerability, SMT technology needs to be disabled, and that means a significant blow to the chip’s performance"

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900K | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

7 hours ago, Papusan said:

But isn't it cute? Prosumers/corporate that need 100% security for every day tasks needs to diasable SMT technology (HT) on all later Ryzen chips. I remember when the fanboys on the Red side bashed Intel for similar  vulnerability flaws. And said this would never happen if you bought newer AMD chips due they was properly engineered, LOOL

Yeah, it's very cute. I remember some people at the old NBR were not pleased by my comments that AMD has severe security flaws, just not discovered yet. This is NOT a reflection on any company. All computers and software... Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux.. all of them, and the hardware they run on, have vulnerabilities that nobody has found yet and this will never be fixed. It can't be fixed because people are actively looking for things to exploit. Like going outside with a fly swatter and a can of bug spray expecting to rid the planet of harmful and annoying insects. Ain't gonna happen... period. Human beings are born evil with a predisposition to do bad things. They will always do bad things unless they are taught the difference between right and wrong and taught that good behavior is the best approach. Those that are most popular and have the greatest market share become the point of focus for the scumbags and their nefarious endeavors. This is why some people believe Apple and Linux machines are more secure. They are not more secure, but bad players are not going to waste their time developing exploits targeted for something that represents such a tiny percentage of the digital landscape. AMD has gained market share, so it is natural that vulnerabilities that affect their products will become more common. Just like 1+1=2.

The biggest exploit of consumers is the clowns peddling "security solutions" -- digital snake oil.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

• 4 weeks later...

This new move doesn't make Norton as a option. What will they do next?

NortonLifeLock to End Antivirus Crypto-Mining Due to Ethereum Merge 1

The company will disable the function on Sept. 14, the day before the scheduled Ethereum merge.

However, the decision to offer the miner over the antivirus programs received some backlash from consumers and security experts over concerns the company was saddling users with non-removable bloatware. In its defense, NortonLifeLock said the mining tool was opt-in only. 

Opt-in only doesn't matter. An antivirus software company should never ever have started with this in first place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And here is HP's bloatware. 

HP Support Assistant is vulnerable to DLL hijacking

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900K | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

• 4 weeks later...

Bloat paired with Windows Defender = Mess. Both is unwanted.

High CPU load, fan on full speed; Windows Defender struggles with Dell SupportAssist

Posted on 2022-10-03 by guenni

WindowsBrief information, which I'll cover in this post. Last week a tweet came to my attention in which a Microsoft MVP complained that the fan on his Windows system was running at full speed. A quick look showed that Microsoft Defender was really pulling CPU power on the machine. Could possibly affect one or the other user from the readership. Because the culprits: Windows Defender and Dell SupportAssist might well be in use more often.

• Thumb Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft Defender is lacking in offline detection capabilities, says AV-Comparatives

Windows' built-in antivirus shines when using the cloud, doesn't without it.

AV-Comparatives recently changed its testing methodology by focusing on protection rather than on detection capabilities alone. In brief, the tests are now checking whether antivirus software can prevent a malicious program to make any actual changes to the system even after it has already arrived on the targeted machine in its inactive state.
  • Thumb Up 2

Sad news for people running Windows 10 and 11. Sordum gives up on Defender Control. Your only option to avoid Windows Defender now is to wipe it out totally from your OS. But probably best do it this way, for your health.
More here: https://notebooktalk.net/topic/265-all-about-windows-10-ltsc-included-news-and-announcements/?do=findComment&comment=16234

• 5 weeks later...

AV-Comparatives recently released its Performance test for the month of October 2022. In the evaluation, Microsoft Defender was found to be the worst offender with the highest performance impact.

• 2 weeks later...

Ain't it funny when companies providing security \ privacy services etc gets hacked.

"We recently detected unusual activity within a third-party cloud storage service -\- We have determined that an unauthorized party, using information obtained in the August 2022 incident, was able to gain access to certain elements of our customers' information."

Seen from their customer's side, must be the LastStraw.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/lastpass-says-hackers-accessed-customer-data-in-new-breach/

• Thumb Up 1

Dell Precision 5540 w10 ltsc 2019 \ O&O shutup, Dell E7440 w8.1, Tosh w8.1
Stand with ua.jpg

• 1 month later...

Everything Microsoft put they hands on will turn into a disaster. How is this possible @Mr. Fox @Ashtrix ? The culture at Micosoft is rotten and the egineers just foolow common pratice... Never test own products.

Microsoft Defender update kills Start Menu shortcuts and program files on Windows

"Defender really is the Gift that keeps on giving!"

Facepalm: Microsoft Defender should provide plenty of security features for Windows-based enterprises and home customers. Some of those features, however, are turning against users and making system administrators regret yet another unlucky Friday the 13th.

As tradition dictates, Friday 13th was a rather unlucky day for Windows users and system administrators worldwide. According to multiple reports, this past Friday Microsoft Defender for Endpoint turned into a shortcut and file "killer." That fateful day, the security suite began to delete application shortcuts from Windows Taskbar and Start Menu, sometimes even removing the linked program files from disk.

• Thumb Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

QNAP's NAS devices affected by a new critical security issue, patches are available

The next ransomware target for cyber-crime gangs?
By Alfonso Maruccia , February 1

ooh boy... i shouldn't have clicked on this thread, brace for a rough ride 😄 

let me put it in simple words everyone should be able to understand, personal pc security is a predatory business joke,
nothing more than business' plot to influence end users praying on their lack of education and deepest fears for greedy and cold financial gains,

i have not run any kind of anti virus program in the past 20 years,

fact is i go out of my way to disable all security related elements be it firewall or defender, 

all MS built-in or third party installed security elements must be stopped and disabled in my book,

how does one explains that with all the ransomware and virus attacks advertised i have never been infected or effected by any?

my system security is as naked as  newborn baby, i have an explanation to why i am doing this and why i have never been infected,

i am curious to learn what the common people not involved in cyber security think and believe regarding AV and general PC protection,

i also not a fan of Microsoft themselves realizing the best way to engage with customers and make sure they continue to upgrade is by scaring the bejesus out of them through this ridicules security channel they created and excuses their privacy invasion reasoning, 

if you ask me they are the virus there is no such thing as viruses in the wild attacking random peoples computers,

just a financial plot securing their future updates,

there are professional people who get paid to find bugs in new system or existing code, they are reported and addressed,

the way it is described to the public is predatory, "a malicious attacker could..." this is a code expert evaluating the worst possible case scenario,

this doesn't mean this scenario exists, its just envisioned, not only these scenarios are always created in a closed lab conditions,

by professionals who are paid to find these bugs, these are not malicious just bugs and if not patched and discovered by someone who has no ability to discover them or interact with the code, if all that will happen than it is possible bla bla bla,

all theoretic in a lab paid to find bugs, then MS marketing department takes that makes a spicy meatball sauce from it that generates sales, today even if you don't want it they still shove it down your thought, and continue popping nonsense alert scaring everyone and their grandmothers. 

the truth no one is telling people out there is, no malicious code can traverse any part of a commercial network the past 20 years,

just imagine if that was possible, systems long before the end users pc's will have to be compromised and go down, and that will never happen!

i know that because i placed many system like that in place well over 20 years ago, there's just no way a packet will traverse containing any old malicious pattern or new, packets will get dropped first at commercial router (layer 3) and switched network (layer 2), these packet are not making it to layer 1, after they are dropped then they will ask questions,

since most people don't know that the real viruses are these business robbing peoples hard earned money through scare tactics and microsoft is first inline to take advantage of that ever since win7 came out,

• Thumb Up 2

the impossible is not impossible, its just haven't been done yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice see some still make good software (more options how to handle Windows Defender) @Mr. Fox

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Thumb Up 1

I use a 7 year old free firewall software and Windows 7/8 updated to 2020-01 and have no issues with viruses of any kind. I've actually encountered multiple malwares that don't work on 7. Mostly the Discord hijackers that were popular. They often used later versions of Node which don't work on 7. However I have also seen a crypto miner virus not work either.

Precision M4800 - i7 4810MQ, 32GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M2200

Thinkpad T430 - i7 3630QM, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 1080p display mod

Main PC - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 8:15 PM, Papusan said:

Nice see some still make good software (more options how to handle Windows Defender) @Mr. Fox

Yep, the choice above is a great idea @Mr. Fox @Ashtrix+++

Microsoft Defender mistakenly tagging URLs as malicious

Microsoft Defender is mistakenly flagging legitimate links as malicious, with some customers having already received dozens of alert emails since the issues began over five hours ago

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

• 4 weeks later...

Microsoft Defender update causes Windows Hardware Stack Protection mess

In a confusing mess, a recent Microsoft Defender update rolled out a new security feature called 'Kernel-mode Hardware-enforced Stack Protection,' while removing the LSA protection feature. Unfortunately, Microsoft has not provided any documentation on this change, leading to more questions than answers......

• Thumb Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Microsoft has admitted that the Windows 11 security issue, wherein Defender would wrongly display LSA protection is disabled, isn't really fixed. The company has provided the same workaround.........

• 5 months later...

The parents company who bought Piriform software (developer of CCleaner) is the well known AV company Avast. What an awful combination.... 

Always at the forefront of protecting our users

If you’re not already aware, CCleaner is owned by Avast, which is one of the world’s largest cybersecurity companies. As a result, our security protocols at CCleaner are of the highest possible standard. As part of their ongoing commitment to security, Avast Threat Labs continuously researches existing and future threats so together, we are always one step ahead of the online bad guys....🤮 See also Avast is now officially spyware - selling user data!

• Thumb Up 1
  • Sad 1

CPU VULNERABILITY Intel is said to have known about Downfall as early as 2018

Plaintiffs accuse Intel of having known about security problems five years ago, which ultimately led to Downfall.....

• Thumb Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Seen this Joke? Microsoft want the frauders/scammers money hence they let them advertice their scam on own webpage. Isn't that somewhat cute bro @Mr. Fox @Ashtrix?🤨

• Thumb Up 1

4 hours ago, Papusan said:

Seen this Joke? Microsoft want the frauders/scammers money hence they let them advertice their scam on own webpage. Isn't that somewhat cute bro @Mr. Fox @Ashtrix?🤨

It is sad and scary how many people will fall for this scam and it is Micro$lop's fault for allowing this on their own web pages.

• Sad 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

• 1 month later...

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I still don't touch Windows Defender. Even if they come on first place. Microsoft is the last company I would use to secure my PC's. I still use antivirus for PC's on the internet. And thats Eset Nod32. For benching OS I don't use anything. But Windows Defender is the one of the first apps I delete from any of my Windows OS. Cancer is a nice disease vs what Microsoft offer you with their security suite. And Titus is very correct regarding full Internet Security suites. Because they add unnecessary tools bloat that nowone need or should install. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Papusan said:

I still don't touch Windows Defender. Even if they come on first place. Microsoft is the last company I would use to secure my PC's. I still use antivirus for PC's on the internet. And thats Eset Nod32. For benching OS I don't use anything. But Windows Defender is the one of the first apps I delete from any of my Windows OS. Cancer is a nice disease vs what Microsoft offer you with their security suite. And Titus is very correct regarding full Internet Security suites. Because they add unnecessary tools bloat that nowone need or should install. 

I'm in the Braxman camp. "Security" software is a gimmick. If you behave yourself you're in no more or less danger. Stupidity is what kills. While accidents can happen, if you stay on the right side of the railroad tracks, chances are great everyting will be fine. If you go to the wrong side of the railroad tracks, the expectation of safety is naive, at best.

• Thumb Up 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 8:40 PM, Mr. Fox said:

I'm in the Braxman camp. "Security" software is a gimmick. If you behave yourself you're in no more or less danger. Stupidity is what kills. While accidents can happen, if you stay on the right side of the railroad tracks, chances are great everyting will be fine. If you go to the wrong side of the railroad tracks, the expectation of safety is naive, at best.

Same can be said for Microsoft's security features. 

BitLocker's reliance on a TPM for security is its own downfall in this specific exploit.

Bitlocker is one of the most easily accessible encryption solutions available today, being a built-in feature of Windows 10 Pro and Windows 11 Pro that's designed to secure your data from prying eyes. However, YouTuber stacksmashing demonstrated a colossal security flaw with Bitlocker that allowed him to bypass Windows Bitlocker in less than a minute with a cheap sub-$10 Raspberry Pi Pico, thus gaining access to the encryption keys that can unlock protected data. His exploit only took 43 seconds to steal the master key.

Second stupidity for the day.... Whatever Microsoft try to do.... They will never ever be able to offer a secure OS. So the forced HW requirement for Win 11 is just stupid.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:40 PM, Mr. Fox said:

Stupidity is what kills.

If you hadn't scanned your OS with AV software you would be pretty screwed if you bough Junkware from some retail shops.... 

Mini PC maker ships systems with factory-installed spyware

Eclectic Sal wrote, "Arrived with malware installed - Backdoor Win32/Bladabindi, a backdoor trojan which is a remote access tool known for its data-stealing capabilities. It was hardcoded into the Windows recovery, so it would not be wiped on reset. Windows was also a spoofed version, not a valid product key."

It's not the first time AceMagic has encountered malware problems. The vendor previously acknowledged an issue where the Bing search engine was included in the pre-installation process for the AD08, S1, and AK1 Plus RGB. 

If you own a mini-PC from AceMagic or one of the other sub-brands and are still using the original Windows installation, it wouldn't hurt to run a virus scan to see if you're malware-free.

And why the need for smart toothbrushes? Whats wrong with people nowadays? You don't follow the modern trend if you use an normal old fashion toothbrush? Give me a break.

Dental IoT devices caused millions of Euros in damages for Swiss company, says report.
Three million malware-infected smart toothbrushes used in Swiss DDoS attacks — botnet causes millions of euros in damages
  • Thumb Up 1
  • Sad 1