NotebookTalk

Amiga OS

Eban

Promptly goes into atic and gets out the Amiga A500+ and turns it on.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Haha 1
  • Bump 2

{Main System:} The Beast

Spoiler

{Cooling:} Corsair H170i Elite

{Mainboard:} Asrock X670E Pro

{CPU/GPU:} AMD Ryzen R9 7900x3D / AMD RX 7900 XTX (Asrock Phantom)

{RAM/Storage:} 2x 16GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6400MT/s , 13TB WDD SN850X 2x4TB, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB

{PSU/Case:} Corsair RM 1000x V2, Corsair 7000D Airflow (Black)

{OS:} Windows 11 Pro

Realtek Nahimic 3 Modded Driver for MSI Systems:Latest

4 hours ago, ryan said:

cool man watched a bit of that video might check it out bro

It was good back in the day...but some people just will not let it die.

Linux has an issue with not enough software developers....Amiga is like 10 thousand times worse :classic_sad:

So at the moment its really just a nostalgia thing.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

• 8 months later...
On 4/2/2022 at 12:24 AM, Eban said:

Linux has an issue with not enough software developers and user population/humanity who are just looking for the simplest OS possible, privacy, freedom and other considerations be damned....Amiga is like 10 thousand times worse  30 years ago existed in a different world, and was an exciting proprietary computing platform embraced by the entirely different, but obviously much smaller, demographic of early adopters and enthusiasts which got killed off by the PC open standard. May she rest in peace.

So at the moment its really just a nostalgia/retro gaming thing.

Sorry for necroing, couldn't help but add .02.

• Thumb Up 2

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

• 2 weeks later...

this kinda reminds me of linux. Buying a powerful laptop or desktop and running something lite like linux.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

1 hour ago, ryan said:

this kinda reminds me of linux. Buying a powerful laptop or desktop and running something lite like linux.

I guess, although the original Amiga OS had very little in common with Linux, it was much lighter. In fact most games etc. would just use a very low level API layer and program the hardware directly, whereas in Linux (and Windows) everything has to go through libraries and kernel drivers.

• Bump 1
  • Confused 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

• 3 months later...
On 12/29/2022 at 2:28 PM, Etern4l said:

I guess, although the original Amiga OS had very little in common with Linux, it was much lighter. In fact most games etc. would just use a very low level API layer and program the hardware directly, whereas in Linux (and Windows) everything has to go through libraries and kernel drivers.

20 hours ago, ryan said:

?

On the older systems like x68 based Macs (pre PPC), Amiga, Atari ST you could program in x68 assembly using an assembler or inline assembly via C so you could get as "close to the metal" as possible (since speed and resources were so limited relatively speaking) and make direct calls with minimal layers versus the HAL and APIs of modern OSes like Windows which rely on modern compiler optimizations to get the code running as fast as possible and making modern languages much easier to work with like 4th generation (IE Python, SQL, Perl, etc..) for programmers. Back then we didn't have such advanced compilers that could take even VB/VBA level code and have it running nearly at if not equal to VC/VC++ code.

I worked on some projects back in the early 90s in C where it just was easier to code in x86 via inline assembly using Borland's C products for sake of efficiency and speed especially when you needed to communicate with specialized hardware and/or needed to write your own drivers or heavily modify pre-existing libraries or code to get them up and running (I'm looking at you endless army of communication boards of all ilks).

• Thumb Up 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

On 4/28/2023 at 12:55 PM, TreeTopsRanch said:

I had a Commodore 64 sometime around 1982. Did the Amiga come along after that?

Transition for 8-bit (6502/6510) to 16-bit (with some 32-bit properties) (68000) systems back then:

Apple:  Apple II -> Macintosh

Commodore: C64 -> Amiga

Atari: 800 (and XL derivatives) -> ST

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, ryan said:

does anyone know where I can buy papyrus paper? 

Why? Do you have fond memories of having fun with papyrus and hieroglyphs back in ancient Egypt, or are you necroposting and trolling a little?

-- Max Tegmark

it was a little joke geesh..papyrus paper is old...amiga is old..who in there right mind would want to use it..trolling if you take a negative spin on it...ill remove the comment, sorry didn't realise sensitivity to ironies.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

It's called retro computing. I rarely partake - I guess it's mostly done occasionally for nostalgia reasons that could be difficult to understand unless you owned any of the now retro machines. Anyway, who are we to judge people's state of mind, on this forum no less? Best to keep our sense of irony to ourselves, the conversation will be better for it.

-- Max Tegmark