NotebookTalk

Framework Laptop

Sandy Bridge

I made my pre-order for the Framework 16 laptop, currently on batch 16!

I still have a few months to wait until my pre-order would ship. I'm going to wait and see how the production units pan out. I very much agree it's a version 1.0 product but I'm excited about it!

• Thumb Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Three weeks later... Now customers from Batch 1 and 2 have received production units of the 16 laptop. Some valuable information about it is being revealed in the Framework community forums:

• Being an AMD Advantage laptop, the Framework Laptop 16 has a MUX and supports AMD Smart Access Graphics (AMD equivalent of NVIDIA's Advanced Optimus.) Despite this there's no BIOS option to control the MUX for a dGPU-only option. This is probably to avoid being able to both control the MUX and remove the GPU module.
  • The BIOS doesn't have a lot of settings however, compared to for example a Lenovo Legion laptop (as seen in Jarrod's Tech video review)
  • It supports S0 sleep, S3 sleep, and hibernate
  • No confirmation thus far about being able to undervolt with either CPU option
  • Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Good video showcasing gaming performance of the Framework 16 with the 7700S (the only way the reviewer could test on account of his sample having some pretty serious issues) in both Windows and Linux.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11