NotebookTalk

Baffling disappearance of brightness adjustibility.

gmm

The ability to change brightness on My MSI Notebook with Windows 10 has mysteriously vanished. I used to use the FN+ brightness keys up and down to make adjustments, but it stopped working, yet strangely, the FN+volume buttons still work. When I go to Settings>Display, it's not there either. I've tried everything I can think of? Any ideas of what happened or how I can fix this?

Also, my sleep function has vanished too. Now I only have the options of shutdown and restart. I can put it to sleep with a quick push of the power button, but the option has vanished from the start panel.

Did the video driver get updated by any chance? That's what broke my brightness control... Had to do a system restore to fix it. The loss of sleep option is extra weird though.. Does it still appear in the menu that appears when you go to desktop and press Alt-F4 ?

• Thumb Up 1

Thank you for the reply. I'm not certain whether it coincided with any video update, but it's a clue. Pressing ALT-F4 results in a menu opening with options to: Switch user, sign out, shutdown, and restart. There is no sleep option. I will perhaps try system restore.

On 5/14/2022 at 6:18 PM, gmm said:

Some good news. An automatic Windows update resolved the problem.

any specifics as to that windows update? did it contain a gpu driver or system bugfixes? glad it got resolved though!

• Thumb Up 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!