NotebookTalk

Exotic/Ducting Heat extraction Discussion

Reciever

Good Evening Chaps!

I wanted to start a discussion regarding cheap and efficient means of ducting heat from say, a mining system in a bedroom, to an obvious outlet.

Obviously I would start with my own little project. I am hoping for this thread to be beneficial to other miners who may live in warmer climates. The second order effect to this that I would like to encourage better practices for maintaining Computer components, there is plenty of e-waste as it stands. There will always be a limit to what can be done to keep things viable, no reason to not try!

Pictures to follow shortly for the canvas I am currently working with

PXL_20220516_023650256.jpg

PXL_20220516_023734363.jpg

PXL_20220516_023911586.jpg

I have a total of 10 GPU's to get sorted 🙂

• Thumb Up 2

2 hours ago, Reciever said:

Good Evening Chaps!

I wanted to start a discussion regarding cheap and efficient means of ducting heat from say, a mining system in a bedroom, to an obvious outlet.

Obviously I would start with my own little project. I am hoping for this thread to be beneficial to other miners who may live in warmer climates. The second order effect to this that I would like to encourage better practices for maintaining Computer components, there is plenty of e-waste as it stands. There will always be a limit to what can be done to keep things viable, no reason to not try!

Pictures to follow shortly for the canvas I am currently working with

PXL_20220516_023650256.jpg

PXL_20220516_023734363.jpg

PXL_20220516_023911586.jpg

I have a total of 10 GPU's to get sorted 🙂

Depending if you own or rent your options will vary. One possibility is build a corner closet with a vent to the attic. This would aesthetically and give more privacy. But at minimum should be in a box with a duct to the outside possibly through the attic or a wall. It looks like this wont be a short term thing, at least until we get a candy machine that just pops out coins. Just some thoughts as I am going through my own experimentations.

Clevo P870DM3-G i9-9900k-32.0GB 2667mhz-GTX 1080 SLI

Alienware M18x R2 i7-3920xm-32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000 

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 20GB DDR3-1600 P4000 120hz 3D

Precision m6700 i7-3840QM - 16.0GB DDR3 - GTX 970M 
Precision m4700 i7-3610QM-8.00GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz-K2000M

GOBOXX SLM  G2721-i7-10875H RTX 3000-32GB ddr4(Gave to my Wife)

Ah yes, the simple means to the same result is a grow tent.

I plan to use freely accessible items (to me) which would be card board, HVAC tape and additional mass from decommissioned systems, such as blade servers and fans from desktops and servers.

Everyone's use case will be different, but it will be good to get the idea's out there for others to connect their own dots and share 🙂

• 1 month later...

This is probably your exact idea, but this is what I'm thinking.

Get a big cardboard box, big enough to cover your system.
Get two ducts, and cut two holes into your box, one hole for each.

Make one duct the intake, and the other the outtake. Likely best to put the intake at the bottom, and the outtake at the top.

You would likely want a few big fans to encourage the air to move around.

Precision M4800 - i7 4810MQ, 32GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M2200

Thinkpad T430 - i7 3630QM, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 1080p display mod

Main PC - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti

Yeah I think I'm going to move my desk against the wall, list the gpu stack on top of the desk and bring in my bedside chest to extend my usable area from wall to wall, this way I can I have my window fans pulling heat straight outside without conflicting with my projector 

One thing I cant get around is I will need another couple pieces of wood to provide more surface area as well as create another duct for my server psu's

2 hours ago, Reciever said:

Yeah I think I'm going to move my desk against the wall, list the gpu stack on top of the desk and bring in my bedside chest to extend my usable area from wall to wall, this way I can I have my window fans pulling heat straight outside without conflicting with my projector 

One thing I cant get around is I will need another couple pieces of wood to provide more surface area as well as create another duct for my server psu's

We need more pictures!  Does all this have to be running while you are actually sleeping in the room, or does the mineshaft close down at night? 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Interesting thread. Does anyone use a ac to cool their laptop and how would one duct that..under or against?

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled