NotebookTalk

Microstuttering and undervolting

Kassowen

Hi All

Like many, I suffer from micro stutter in games and are just curious if there are particular measures and tweaks to limit it as much as possible? I intend to upgrade to windows enterprise sometime soon as one possible method of performance and stability enhancement, but I am just curious if there are some proven methods for limiting microstuttering. Something I have noticed is that microstutter is notable less when I am in Dgpu mode as opposed to being on hybrid, or dynamic with respect to the mux switch, so is this really a driver issue possible?

With respect to undervolting, I have noticed my system frequency crashes when I got near the limit of what I am able to undervolt with my system, which is about -.75mv, however I now do -.50mv simply because I no longer have system failures and so on. That said, am I really just dealing with a lesser Binned CPU and this is the result? Or is there some way to make a higher undervolt more stable? CPU is i7-10870h. Laptop is max-15 eluktronics.

On 6/1/2022 at 3:32 PM, Kassowen said:

I intend to upgrade to windows enterprise sometime soon as one possible method of performance and stability enhancement

Windows 10 Enterprise is no different than Pro/Home in this regard.  The difference is simply in licensing and which features are toggled on/off.  The underlying platform is identical, and Enterprise has no special optimizations for performance tuning or stability.  (Enterprise LTSC is a bit different.  I have an article about it linked in my sig.  Though, really any performance or stability improvements from it would just come from the fact that it comes with less cruft installed.)

Regarding stuttering, I've spent a fair amount of time addressing stuttering and optimizing my system.  Here are some things that I can recommend.

• If you have a higher-end mouse with a high poll rate (>250 Hz), trying turning the poll rate down, or switching to a basic mouse to see if that makes any difference.  Normally, the polling rate can be adjusted in the mouse's control panel / software.  Seems crazy, but my 1000 Hz mouse causes major stuttering in some games and turning it down to 125 Hz eliminates it.  Windows seems to be pretty bad at handling a high poll rate and having certain background apps or game overlays running can exacerbate it.  (Google for "high mouse poll rate stuttering" and you will see tons of people complaining about this.)
  • Check the profile for your game in NVIDIA control panel (Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings).  Find the setting for "Power management mode" and set it to "Prefer maximum performance".  I've actually seen cases where the NVIDIA GPU can cause stutters while switching power states; this setting should take care of that.
  • Run LatencyMon while you are gaming.  Look at the "Drivers" section afterwards.  Anything reporting more than ≈2ms under "highest execution" should be checked out.  I've used this to tease out issues relating to networking/Wi-Fi drivers, audio drivers, and disk controller drivers.  (What action to take depends on what driver / .sys file you see consuming time.)

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

On 6/1/2022 at 8:45 PM, Reciever said:

Can you share the complete list of components that comprise your particular unit?

MAX-15, i7-10870h with -.50mv undervolt, 2070 super, gsync, gskill cl16 3000mhz 32gb kit, adata sx8200 pro 1tb, samsung 980pro 1tb.

• 1 month later...

I have much more stable clocks with the GPU power limits raised.

Sager NP9877

Hybrid Watercooled setup, D5 pump with dual 140MM fans integrated into custom stand. All controlled via temp outputs from GPU and CPU.

17.3" 1440p 120Hz display + 32" 4k MSI IPS 160Hz display

9900KS @ 4.8Ghz (47x102Mhz) All core, delid with rockit IHS, liquid metal

RTX 3070 @ 180W shunt mod, liquid metal

32GB (16x2 dual rank) 3280Mhz DDR4 CL16

1TB SM961 SSD

2TB SN770 SSD

Dual 330W PSU 

• 3 weeks later...

microstuttering can also be caused by having AF set to a value other than default in nvidia control panel...as for undervolting id say once you have a stable undervolt pull back 1 step, and you should be good.  it should not be a culprit for ms

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled