NotebookTalk

Great news for Winamp fans! Looks like development is firmly back on track now after the many years in limbo with two separate branches being worked on. One will be a continuation of the current 5.x for Windows, with a v5.9 due in a few weeks, and an optional online services view in the pipeline. The other will be a completely separate Winamp 6 development branch which will be cross-platform, but presumably a much longer road to reach maturity:

http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.php?p=3219772&postcount=2354

http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.php?p=3220285&postcount=2373

I'm still on good old v5.666, since its always worked perfectly for me, but apart from v5.8 (which is supposed to have performance benefits on newer versions of Windows), there is also the separate WACUP community project as an alternative.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

had no idea winamp was still going, thats pretty awesome. Might give it a look later but currently using MusicBee myself

Alienware M18X R2 | Nebula Red | i7 3740QM [OC'd to 4Ghz] | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 | 75hz OC'd Display |

MXM to NVMe Adapter with Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB

Alienware 17 R4 | i7 6700HQ | 16GB RAM | GTX 1070 | 100hz OC'd LG 1080p Display

Alienware M18X R1 | Space Black | i7 2960XM | 16GB RAM | GTX 780M

I've been looking for an alternative that works well on Linux for years so I can finally ditch Windows, but I've never been able to find anything that comes remotely close in functionality and UI/UX for managing large collections and the flexibility of dynamic organisations available via Smart Views (e.g. I use one to prioritise playing music that I haven't heard recently, weighted by the rating of the track. It's like my own personalised ideal radio stream :). I'm hoping the new cross-platform version might in the future provide a pathway for getting the current full desktop experience over to Linux, though I imagine that's still some years away.

• Thumb Up 1

4 hours ago, Ishatix said:

Great news for Winamp fans! Looks like development is firmly back on track now after the many years in limbo with two separate branches being worked on. One will be a continuation of the current 5.x for Windows, with a v5.9 due in a few weeks, and an optional online services view in the pipeline. The other will be a completely separate Winamp 6 development branch which will be cross-platform, but presumably a much longer road to reach maturity:

http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.php?p=3219772&postcount=2354

http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.php?p=3220285&postcount=2373

I'm still on good old v5.666, since its always worked perfectly for me, but apart from v5.8 (which is supposed to have performance benefits on newer versions of Windows), there is also the separate WACUP community project as an alternative.

thats awesome! im also still using the venerable ol' v5.666 😄

• Bump 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

• 1 month later...

I have been a hardcore WInamp user for an eternity. Since it's "official" demise, i switched to Foobar and never looked back. It's highly unlikely to match my current experience with Foobar - already running 10+ years strong - even with a rekindled Winamp. Foobar already has everything to offer. Customization, very fast and still lightweight.

Clevo P670HP6-G @OBSIDIAN-PC (2017), 17,3"//GTX1060//i7-7700HQ//512GB M2.SSD, external 32" UHD Display (defying BGA haters since day 1)😋

2 hours ago, defcon42 said:

I have been a hardcore WInamp user for an eternity. Since it's "official" demise, i switched to Foobar and never looked back. It's highly unlikely to match my current experience with Foobar - already running 10+ years strong - even with a rekindled Winamp. Foobar already has everything to offer. Customization, very fast and still lightweight.

I love Foobar as a quick/mini player, for managing multiple playlists side by side, and for some particular utility functions like the ABX tracks plugin (double blind test yourself comparing two tracks – the only way to know for sure what bitrate / format differences you can truly hear). But it doesn't come at all close as a replacement for the large library management and filtering functionality of Winamp unfortunately (for me at least). It also has a weird long standing bug of the seek bar not working for flac files. But still a highly recommended piece of software for sure!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 6:09 PM, epguy3 said:

Winamp v5.9 RC3 released near end of July 2022:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=458120

It's a great step forward, but looking at those notes I think I'll wait until 5.9.1 before updating my system. Really looking forward to native opus support with that to replace the third party plugin I use for it currently (which is good but not quite perfect).

• 1 year later...

Still using the 2013 version, currently on 4 machines.
Now and then testing anything and everything to replace it, but always returning to the solid, reliable old dinosaur.
Know nothing about possible insecurity (or win 11), only situation that would call for the "new and better".
win.PNG.ba3164a0e12b51f313d825cd3a4afa2b.PNG

• Bump 1

Dell Precision 5540 w10 ltsc 2019 + O&O shutup, Dell E7440 w8.1, Tosh w8.1, HP i5 desktop w10 ltsc + O&O shutup
Stand with ua.jpg

On 9/6/2023 at 9:36 PM, 6730b said:

Still using the 2013 version, currently on 4 machines.

Yeah, same here. Good old 5.666 still serves me faithfully every day. Though I did recently install 5.92 under Wine in Linux and it seems to all work just fine on first impressions beyond some missing Japanese font support which I can probably fix. I've been thinking of upgrading my main machine to it some day mainly to get the native Opus support which I'm currently using the BogProg plugin for. The only other thing I can ever see potentially replacing Winamp in the longer term for me is gmusicbrowser, as I think it's weighted filtering functionality should be at least as good as, and might even be more powerful than Winamp Smart Views. 

• Thumb Up 1