NotebookTalk

What car are you driving now?

cucubits

4 hours ago, saturnotaku said:

and a heated steering wheel

Heated steering wheel is awesome. It's the first time I have it too and it makes driving in the cold so much more enjoyable. And no, just wearing gloves is not the same (friends keep asking me why don't I just wear gloves). When my hands are cold to begin with, and I take my gloves, they just keep the cold in there, lol

• Bump 1

22 hours ago, cucubits said:

Heated steering wheel is awesome. It's the first time I have it too and it makes driving in the cold so much more enjoyable. And no, just wearing gloves is not the same (friends keep asking me why don't I just wear gloves). When my hands are cold to begin with, and I take my gloves, they just keep the cold in there, lol

I was really happy that it was available as a dealer-installed option for less than $700 including labor. Otherwise, to get one from the factory, I would have had to upgrade to the flagship Elite trim level, which would have carried a $5500 price premium over the EX-L grade I purchased.

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

• 1 month later...

We are currently driving a 2015 Jeep Patriot with a bunch of stuff done. Got the 2" rough country lift ( I do NOT recommend this lift brand at all), and a bunch of mods for overland camping etc.  

We also have a 2003 Audi a4 3.0 cabrio. I am starting to do some stuff to this now like new wheels, suspension, and exhaust system for some nicer tones and looks out back. 

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

My RSX was totaled last month, finally getting another car tomorrow. 

2002 Acura RSX Type S w/ K24A, headers and exhaust, new clutch, flywheel, CMC, Kpro v4, 6 speed standard.

Going to replace the wing though, not a fan of it. After being rear-ended for the 3rd time I think I might get the wing that has another brake light on it. Hopefully 4-5 brake lights are enough to get peoples attention.

• Sad 1

On 12/23/2022 at 10:44 PM, ryan said:

sounds like you get into alot of accidents? is your cars color red?

I believe that's a myth... I used to have a thing with red cars. All my cars for over 20 years have been red and I was never in an accident. On the contrary, I used to believe being red makes it stand out and easier to be seen/avoided. 

oh i know. was just saying a little joke.

i think statistically red cars do get into more accidents hence not being a myth....but who knows you cant trust stats

The study concluded that white cars were safest. Silver, along with darker colours such as black, grey, green and red, was associated with a higher risk of crashes than white.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my little Scion xb for a few years, they're small on the outside but man once you get in the headroom and back seat legroom is incredible as is all the front console to windshield room. First gen. Unfortunately when I was looking only automatics on offer, a stick would be amazing on this.

I still use the gear limiters on the shifter though, especially the overdrive button for limiting it to 3rd gear max. And really wish a white color was on offer at the time, stuck with the blood red.

Thing's ugly to most people but man it has reliability, 30+ highway/26+ city, simple toyota engine, really great light camping vehicle especially solo if you don't bother with the whole get out/setup a tent stuff, fold forward the passenger seat, get a 3" foam from home depot, cut to shape fold down back seats good to go.

With what I paid the gas savings you pay up front for with newer and more expensive econo/hybrid cars is easily beat out. No sitting at a charge point in 120deg or -30deg either, seen at least one of those in real life with EVs yukkers.

• Thumb Up 3

16 hours ago, Hertzian56 said:

I've had my little Scion xb for a few years, they're small on the outside but man once you get in the headroom and back seat legroom is incredible as is all the front console to windshield room. First gen. Unfortunately when I was looking only automatics on offer, a stick would be amazing on this.

I still use the gear limiters on the shifter though, especially the overdrive button for limiting it to 3rd gear max. And really wish a white color was on offer at the time, stuck with the blood red.

Thing's ugly to most people but man it has reliability, 30+ highway/26+ city, simple toyota engine, really great light camping vehicle especially solo if you don't bother with the whole get out/setup a tent stuff, fold forward the passenger seat, get a 3" foam from home depot, cut to shape fold down back seats good to go.

With what I paid the gas savings you pay up front for with newer and more expensive econo/hybrid cars is easily beat out. No sitting at a charge point in 120deg or -30deg either, seen at least one of those in real life with EVs yukkers.

Is that the little brick on wheels?

I have a bright pink kids scooter that I use to get to and from work....gotta look cool anyone else lol

here

Hover-1 My First 80W Kids Electric Scooter w/ 10km/h Top Speed & 3km Battery Range - Pink

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

I am working on getting a 2011 Jeep Wrangler unlimited.  I am talking to the dealer that has it tomorrow morning.  It would be my 3rd wrangler and 2nd 2011.  I want it bad.  It's the best vehicle for me.  I hate not having one in my driveway.

• Thumb Up 1

10 hours ago, ryan said:

if you do manage to get something that nice do take pictures..

Oh no worries.  I am after having 2 previous ones. I love wranglers....

Any Bolt owners in this thread?  With the new tax incentives and the price cuts on the MSRP they're extremely affordable, and as a hatchback fan I'm mildly tempted.  Not that I really trust Chevy to make a reliable car, but I figure there are fewer moving parts on an electric car so it's probably better than a gas Chevy now that they've fixed the battery issues.  It's also the only electric hatch on the market in the U.S., so it kind of wins by default.

probably won't go it this year since my 2011 Honda still has a lot of miles left... but there are free EV chargers at work so there is something to be said for the idea.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

8 hours ago, cucubits said:

Technically the Model S is a hatch as well 😁

I would also classify the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 as hatchbacks rather than SUVs.

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

15 hours ago, cucubits said:

Technically the Model S is a hatch as well 😁

Technically, yes... but even before Elon bought Twitter, I wasn't going to buy a Tesla because of its minimalist user interface and lack of physical knobs and controls.  I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road to operate a touchscreen.

6 hours ago, saturnotaku said:

I would also classify the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 as hatchbacks rather than SUVs.

Hyundai and Kia are out because of the Kid Kids and the risk of theft.  My downstairs neighbor's Hyundai was stolen in broad daylight.  I have family members who are concerned their Hyundai will be stolen while they're shopping, and it's not an idle concern, just a few weeks ago the local paper had another story about a couple who were performing as Santa and Mrs. Claus at a local store, and while they were performing, their Hyundai got stolen from the parking lot.  The 2023 models aren't vulnerable to theft, but it isn't evident that it's a 2023 model just from looking at it, so they're still going to attract thieves who break in only to find they can't hot-wire it.  Not worth it.

I'd also rather buy a "real" hatchback and not jump on the SUV bandwagon.  You are right that the difference can be slight, but as a member of a family with a decades-long history of owning sedans and hatchbacks, I have no desire to be the first one to deviate from that.

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

1 hour ago, Sandy Bridge said:

Technically, yes... but even before Elon bought Twitter, I wasn't going to buy a Tesla because of its minimalist user interface and lack of physical knobs and controls.  I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road to operate a touchscreen.

True, this was a huge turnoff for me as well and whenever I'd bring this exact point up, the fanbois would go crazy (on tesla forums...). On the other hand, I did want to drive one for the longest time and eventually I ended up buying a used Model S. Had it for a couple years and sold it when the used cars market went nuts, for exactly what I had paid for it, lol

Apart from the crazy accelerations, they have nothing, really nothing well designed. The fit and finish was sub par, under the "hood" there were obvious quality issues by having loads of cut corners and design shortcuts, and most importantly, as you said, the lack of physical switches and having to use a touchscreen while driving, is borderline dangerous for most.

I really did love the crazy acceleration and some of the autopilot party tricks... otherwise, we're not there yet with EVs.

On 1/25/2023 at 6:08 PM, cucubits said:

True, this was a huge turnoff for me as well and whenever I'd bring this exact point up, the fanbois would go crazy (on tesla forums...). On the other hand, I did want to drive one for the longest time and eventually I ended up buying a used Model S. Had it for a couple years and sold it when the used cars market went nuts, for exactly what I had paid for it, lol

Apart from the crazy accelerations, they have nothing, really nothing well designed. The fit and finish was sub par, under the "hood" there were obvious quality issues by having loads of cut corners and design shortcuts, and most importantly, as you said, the lack of physical switches and having to use a touchscreen while driving, is borderline dangerous for most.

I really did love the crazy acceleration and some of the autopilot party tricks... otherwise, we're not there yet with EVs.

I've considered renting a Tesla on Turo to have the experience over a weekend, without the commitment.  May well do that with other EVs as a trial run too, although the last I checked most of the local EV Turo market was Teslas.

If I were renting a Model S Plaid and happened to find myself first at the red light on the local straight-as-arrow US Highway, yeah, I'd be curious what the 0-60 time was, and what that felt like (probably wouldn't try it flat out until the second time though!).  But I'm ultimately too practical to buy a car just for acceleration when my humble 4-cylinder meets what I want 98% of the time and a general-purpose EV like a Leaf or Bolt probably would easily cover the remaining 2% (mostly highway intersections that have relatively short but fairly busy merge windows).

I think the fit and finish issues are probably more "new manufacturer versus established manufacturer" than petrol vs EV though.  If Honda or Toyota made an EV, I'm sure the fit and finish would be very good.  Audi and BMV probably have very good fit and finish.  The Kia Niro is probably good.  Even Tesla may have increased the fit and finish somewhat by now.  Although I wonder if over the longer-term they'll be closer to GM and Chrysler in quality than Honda and Toyota.

Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the other points for Tesla last I read was that the batteries could operate at a wider range of temperature than the competition. I haven't kept up on EV stuff though. 

Honestly after being rear ended 3 times in 3 years I got an rsx with a greddy exhaust and k24a with strobing led 3rd brake light. Strobing lights are annoying but between that and a loud as heck exhaust should improve my chances to make it another year without a rear end "accident" 

• Thumb Up 1

4 minutes ago, Reciever said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the other points for Tesla last I read was that the batteries could operate at a wider range of temperature than the competition. I haven't kept up on EV stuff though. 

AFAIK the Leaf still uses passive cooling whereas Teslas (and most other EVs as I understand it) use active cooling, and that contributes to the Leaf's battery having lower longevity (and perhaps lower range in temperature extremes) than active-battery-cooling EVs.

I am less sure about Tesla batteries operating at a wider range of temperatures than other actively cooled EVs, or perhaps more accurately stated having longer ranges (less falloff from their "normal", say 70 Fahrenheit, range) at those temperature extremes.  My guess would be that would depend on the battery chemistry as well as the battery heating/cooling, and Tesla has diversified their battery chemistry in recent years, as have some other manufacturers.  So it's probably complicated?  Definitely something to do more research on if living in an area with long, cold winters.  A Norwegian could probably give you a better answer; they have the cold climate but also have a very healthy and increasingly diverse EV market.