NotebookTalk

What car are you driving now?

cucubits

the wrangler fell through.  It was a POS.  I think we have decided to get an outback and lift that instead. 

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Reciever said:

I'm still driving my k24a equipped rsx 🙂

I'd like to get a small turbo for it eventually but it's been a fun drive for the time being. Since I don't like to have any funny feeling in the car I will opt for better tires and suspension first though. 

Better yet, I would go super charger. WAY more fun on the street. I had my 2000 integra supercharged with an endyn modified Jackson racing supercharger.  It was WAY too much fun!

1 hour ago, kojack said:

Better yet, I would go super charger. WAY more fun on the street. I had my 2000 integra supercharged with an endyn modified Jackson racing supercharger.  It was WAY too much fun!

No thanks I already have pretty good low rpm torque lol this is also my commuter so only really looking for a bit more top end power without killing the gas mileage too much. 

I have seen the videos though of this setup with a supercharger, looks like a lot of fun! 

No thanks I already have pretty good low rpm torque lol this is also my commuter so only really looking for a bit more top end power without killing the gas mileage too much. 

I have seen the videos though of this setup with a supercharger, looks like a lot of fun! 

Oh it's soooo much fun. Back then everyone thought imports were molasses.  In two years a group of us were in the 12s and 11s. 

• Thumb Up 2

2 hours ago, kojack said:

Oh it's soooo much fun. Back then everyone thought imports were molasses.  In two years a group of us were in the 12s and 11s. 

Imports are a blast, still are to some degree. I was looking for a GR corolla but for now they are going to be hard to find. Rsx is a better fit for me though. 

Hoping to get to a better place overall and find an rx7 fc, love the aesthetic. Since I ruffle feathers generally speaking it would be all too perfect to put a non rotary in there lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ryan said:

good people would have to outweigh bad people in numbers. sometimes it feels like there is more bad than good but thats just not the case. look at australia, they sent that continent all the low lives and criminals and they made a pretty successful nation lol.

Indeed. 

It'll all depend on location. If the poop hits the fan globally, I believe Europe will do best and the US will be completely screwed by everyone panic looting and shooting each other. Maybe I should start ordering ammo, lol.

Right, back to cars.

It's exactly one year since I got the Macan. It's still nice and makes me smile every time I get in but I do, from time to time, miss the Model S I had before. I miss not paying for petrol and that crazy fast instant acceleration. Even though the Macan has the same specs, it also does technically around 4s 0-60, I can't run it that hard without waking up the whole neighborhood. We'll see what the future brings but I do think I'll be back to EVs eventually... 

• Thumb Up 1

10 hours ago, Reciever said:

Imports are a blast, still are to some degree. I was looking for a GR corolla but for now they are going to be hard to find. Rsx is a better fit for me though. 

Hoping to get to a better place overall and find an rx7 fc, love the aesthetic. Since I ruffle feathers generally speaking it would be all too perfect to put a non rotary in there lol

Too funny. I owned an 83 RX7.  It's a very easy swap for a 5.0 from a mustang.  You only have to rotate the front subframe 180 and even the motor mounts fit...I sold it before I could find another 5.0.  I had one but someone asked me to sell it to put into their zephyr wagon. 

i'm planning on getting nitrous oxide installed in my mini van, it will bring the horsepower up from 280 to 350. should be able to outrun the police in it, imagine a minivan out pacing the police. believe that

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 4/28/2023 at 4:06 AM, kojack said:

Too funny. I owned an 83 RX7.  It's a very easy swap for a 5.0 from a mustang.  You only have to rotate the front subframe 180 and even the motor mounts fit...I sold it before I could find another 5.0.  I had one but someone asked me to sell it to put into their zephyr wagon. 

For me I came from a k20a3 base automatic to a 6 speed k24a. The car is a lot of fun to drive, last time I had a standard was on a stock beater 240sx 15 years ago. I plan to work on suspension and wheels first though, I can feel the old car bending a bit. I'm not racer by any means, as someone who's been hit by 2 cars the engine becomes the guilty pleasure while the handling is where my focus tends to be. 

• Thumb Up 1

8 hours ago, Reciever said:

For me I came from a k20a3 base automatic to a 6 speed k24a. The car is a lot of fun to drive, last time I had a standard was on a stock beater 240sx 15 years ago. I plan to work on suspension and wheels first though, I can feel the old car bending a bit. I'm not racer by any means, as someone who's been hit by 2 cars the engine becomes the guilty pleasure while the handling is where my focus tends to be. 

Oh, my car handled too. ha ha. During the first two seasons of targa Newfoundland I helped Subaru Canada tune their cars for the race here on the island. I knew the course, the conditions, and knew the settings etc needed to put in the cars. At that time I had my twin turbo'ed 2002 legacy GT B4 RSK. She' was fun too. 400hp of AWD goodness. 

I like Subarus as well, when I bought the car I have now, I nearly got a Legacy, but found a deal I couldn't pass up on a 2008 335i BMW Sedan (4dr) in alpine white. I've owned it for about seven years now. It has been a very good car, but my next car will probably have all wheel drive. 

• Thumb Up 1

Laptops:
1. Clevo P750DM-G: Z170 chipset, Intel 6700K cpu, Quadro P4200 gpu, 64GB HyperX DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Prema BIOS, modded cooling.
2. Clevo N960KR: H570 chipset, Intel 11700K cpu, RTX 3070 gpu, 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3000MHz RAM. Unlocked BIOS, additional mods in progress.

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2023 at 7:52 PM, Reciever said:

Probably not

Don't be so quick to judge.  Diamond star imports motor out of a eagle talon installed in the woody van...FUN TIMES!

Lol. I feel guilty laughing at my own joke.

I think my next vehicle will be a tesla

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

How often police chases only ever go straight 

A quick change of the suspension and you got a cone dodging beast. Not a problem. 

I find it interesting that Ford, GM, and now Volvo are going to the North American Charging Standard, which is basically (but not exactly?) Tesla.

Combined with Superchargers being built along some of the main routes that have been missing them around here, it's a good argument to buy a Ford.

I'd thought about Bolting over to Chevy this year, and was surprised by how modest the insurance coverage increase would be, but am likely to stick with my Fit instead, between hopping jobs and most if not all of the 2023 Bolts already likely being sold.  Although I did learn that local municipal L2 charging only costs 8 cents/KWHr, which is really good, and would be a lot cheaper than gasoline.

Still wish there were more non-SUV EVs with non-touchscreen controls available.  The Leaf's range is insufficient for my road trips, the Bolt is being discontinued, Teslas are all-in on touchscreens... and most everything else is pretty expensive.

In the mean time though, my Honda is likely to keep running for many years to come, and composes the orange section of the parking lot along with a 20,000%-cooler circa 1972 Camaro.  No one else has jumped on the orange car bandwagon yet but I'm hoping we convince someone else to join Team Orange before long.

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

1 hour ago, Sandy Bridge said:

would be a lot cheaper than gasoline

I keep having flashes of slight regret for moving from a Tesla to a (pretty large) petrol engine, especially after moving from TX to WA. Fuel prices here are crazy high nowadays. Given a time machine, I would've still sold my 2016 Model S but I would've got either a newer Model S or a 3.

1 hour ago, Sandy Bridge said:

Teslas are all-in on touchscreens

Before getting a Tesla, I was 100% against their touchscreen only MO. I love physical buttons and switches but in all honesty, I got used to it and it wasn't actually bad. That huge 17 inch screen was actually pretty well thought of... 

On 6/28/2023 at 2:30 AM, cucubits said:

I keep having flashes of slight regret for moving from a Tesla to a (pretty large) petrol engine, especially after moving from TX to WA. Fuel prices here are crazy high nowadays. Given a time machine, I would've still sold my 2016 Model S but I would've got either a newer Model S or a 3.

Compared to a year ago, fuel prices in the Midwest seem pretty moderate to me right now.  It was $5 per gallon in the U.S. last June, and $2/liter in Canada.  Didn't stop my Canada Day plans, thanks in part to my Honda's efficient 1.5L I-4, but my cost per mile traveled will be much lower this year.

My most recent fill-up was $2.99/gallon.  The secret to the low prices being Sheetz moving in to town; they aren't always the lowest but their determination to gain market share has lead to some nice competitive pricing; it's usually either Sheetz or the Circle K that's off the main road that has the lowest price.

I can see the prices seeming higher once you're used to not having to buy petrol at all though.  Like when I worked somewhere with heavily subsidized lunch, restaurant prices seemed so expensive in comparison!

On 6/28/2023 at 2:30 AM, cucubits said:

Before getting a Tesla, I was 100% against their touchscreen only MO. I love physical buttons and switches but in all honesty, I got used to it and it wasn't actually bad. That huge 17 inch screen was actually pretty well thought of... 

Is "wasn't actually bad" a ringing endorsement?  The windshield wipers in particular, but also HVAC, being on the touchscreen is what always got me.

Admittedly I've yet to jump on the tablet PC tablet trend, so I'm not the most gung-ho person about touch interfaces in general.

What was it that convinced you to buy a Model S despite being 100% against the touchscreen?  Being electric?  The acceleration?  Just being really cool at the time?  Some combination of that combined with the lack of many EV competitors at the time?

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

On 6/30/2023 at 7:21 PM, Sandy Bridge said:

Is "wasn't actually bad" a ringing endorsement?  The windshield wipers in particular, but also HVAC, being on the touchscreen is what always got me.

For older Teslas yes, that's probably a high praise.

On the other hand, I do hear that newer models are somewhat better put together but QA can be a gamble. The 2016 Model S that I had, was still with a physical lever for the windshield wipers, but still it was really poorly made. The auto mode was completely useless, either it saw too much rain or not enough. I always just used it in manual mode... this is because they just chose to use the windshield camera as a visual rain detector, they ditched the tried and true sensor every other car has.

HVAC controls, yes, I hated that... I always mess with airflow/temp buttons. With the Tesla, I just mostly left it alone. The controls were on the bottom of the screen on an "always on top" band but still, no way to use it without taking the eyes off the road. Being on autopilot helps for a quick look but it's far from ideal...

On 6/30/2023 at 7:21 PM, Sandy Bridge said:

What was it that convinced you to buy a Model S despite being 100% against the touchscreen?

Acceleration, noise (lack off), the idea of driving an EV and not paying for fuel anymore. I do miss these and I hope I'll get another EV down the line... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Last weekend I picked up a 6-spd 2023 Subaru WRX Premium to replace my 2004 Pontiac Vibe. The vast expanse of difference that is the driving experience between those two cars almost can't be explained. In October I'll be driving it up Pike's Peak in Colorado! It feels so good driving a manual again. I still ride a motorcycle but have really missed rowing the gears in my car! I already have a list of mods I want...but need to wait for the warranty on some of them.

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

• Thumb Up 3

PowerSpec 1720 (PB70EF-G) | i7-8750H | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | RTX 2070 8GB 115W | 144Hz G-SYNC 

Spoiler

-163 mV core & cache | 15-18-18-36 1T @ 1.35V | 1905MHz @ .975mV & 1950MHz GDDR6
Disabled: TVB, VMX Stress, RDB, HDC
Tuned with: ThrottleStop, MSi Afterburner | TIM: SYY 157

wltgj7-2.png

Insyde H2OUVE BIOS Unlock | CB R20 - 3172 | CB R23 - 8164/1105 | CPU Prof. Max - 4702

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

• Thumb Up 2

PowerSpec 1720 (PB70EF-G) | i7-8750H | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | RTX 2070 8GB 115W | 144Hz G-SYNC 

Spoiler

-163 mV core & cache | 15-18-18-36 1T @ 1.35V | 1905MHz @ .975mV & 1950MHz GDDR6
Disabled: TVB, VMX Stress, RDB, HDC
Tuned with: ThrottleStop, MSi Afterburner | TIM: SYY 157

wltgj7-2.png

Insyde H2OUVE BIOS Unlock | CB R20 - 3172 | CB R23 - 8164/1105 | CPU Prof. Max - 4702