Jump to content
NotebookTalk

Bad Thermals On P751TM-G


fricknbot
 Share

Recommended Posts

So, after a whole year of waiting I was finally able to upgrade my P751tm-g from a GTX 1060 to an RTX 2070, oddly enough the thermals on the graphics card are fine, but my CPU temps seem to be quite high idle anywhere between 42-47c, Im not sure if my thermal paste application was abit too liberal or if the thermals paste is just bad (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B092C7NXCZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share) this is the one I bought it says it has a high thermal conductivity 13.8 W/mK which is slightly higher than thermal grizzly it was quite thick to spread out with the spreader so I am unsure if I have done anything wrong as I made sure to apply an even layer on both CPU and GPU dies (CPU is not delided) are there any other things I can do to improve thermals, I already have my laptop on a cooling stand with 5 large fans so I'm unsure what else I can do. The CPU is overcooked to 4.8GHz although that's a single core bost it tends to sit around 4.3GHz it's also undervolted by -95mv.

 

I'm also wondering whether my 220w power supply is enough and if I should sell it and buy a 330w power supply this would increase temps but more performance in theory if I could give both the CPU and GPU abit of a boost, if anyone has any tips on bettering my thermals and maybe undervolting my GPU as well it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Clevo P751TM-G / i7-8700K OC 4.8GHz Undervolted -100mV / RTX 2070 / 32GB DDR4 @ 2933Mhz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2022 at 9:20 AM, fricknbot said:

So, after a whole year of waiting I was finally able to upgrade my P751tm-g from a GTX 1060 to an RTX 2070, oddly enough the thermals on the graphics card are fine, but my CPU temps seem to be quite high idle anywhere between 42-47c, Im not sure if my thermal paste application was abit too liberal or if the thermals paste is just bad (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B092C7NXCZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share) this is the one I bought it says it has a high thermal conductivity 13.8 W/mK which is slightly higher than thermal grizzly it was quite thick to spread out with the spreader so I am unsure if I have done anything wrong as I made sure to apply an even layer on both CPU and GPU dies (CPU is not delided) are there any other things I can do to improve thermals, I already have my laptop on a cooling stand with 5 large fans so I'm unsure what else I can do. The CPU is overcooked to 4.8GHz although that's a single core bost it tends to sit around 4.3GHz it's also undervolted by -95mv.

 

I'm also wondering whether my 220w power supply is enough and if I should sell it and buy a 330w power supply this would increase temps but more performance in theory if I could give both the CPU and GPU abit of a boost, if anyone has any tips on bettering my thermals and maybe undervolting my GPU as well it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Did you by chance change the heatsink too?

the GTX GPU laptops as well as the CPU tend to have 2 seperate heatsinks ,my laptop had this setup before I upgraded with a conjoined heatsink like this one - https://clevo-computer.com/en/spare-parts/clevo/heatsinks/1162/6-31-p77fn-401-cpu-vga-heatsink-module-for-nvidia-rtx-2060-n18e-g1-rtx-2070-n18e-g2-rtx-2080 (you'll want to contact them to get the right model though ^_^')

I also used mx4 arctic thermal paste if that helps too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2022 at 10:20 AM, fricknbot said:

So, after a whole year of waiting I was finally able to upgrade my P751tm-g from a GTX 1060 to an RTX 2070, oddly enough the thermals on the graphics card are fine, but my CPU temps seem to be quite high idle anywhere between 42-47c, Im not sure if my thermal paste application was abit too liberal or if the thermals paste is just bad (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B092C7NXCZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share) this is the one I bought it says it has a high thermal conductivity 13.8 W/mK which is slightly higher than thermal grizzly it was quite thick to spread out with the spreader so I am unsure if I have done anything wrong as I made sure to apply an even layer on both CPU and GPU dies (CPU is not delided) are there any other things I can do to improve thermals, I already have my laptop on a cooling stand with 5 large fans so I'm unsure what else I can do. The CPU is overcooked to 4.8GHz although that's a single core bost it tends to sit around 4.3GHz it's also undervolted by -95mv.

 

I'm also wondering whether my 220w power supply is enough and if I should sell it and buy a 330w power supply this would increase temps but more performance in theory if I could give both the CPU and GPU abit of a boost, if anyone has any tips on bettering my thermals and maybe undervolting my GPU as well it would be greatly appreciated!!!

dont worry too much about idle temps, load temps are much more important 😉

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6600 2x16 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 2x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" UHD 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB

 

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel 12600 @ 4.4 - 4.8 Ghz / Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6 / G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3800 / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Intel AX201 ax+BT / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2022 at 2:31 AM, the jg89 said:

Did you by chance change the heatsink too?

the GTX GPU laptops as well as the CPU tend to have 2 seperate heatsinks ,my laptop had this setup before I upgraded with a conjoined heatsink like this one - https://clevo-computer.com/en/spare-parts/clevo/heatsinks/1162/6-31-p77fn-401-cpu-vga-heatsink-module-for-nvidia-rtx-2060-n18e-g1-rtx-2070-n18e-g2-rtx-2080 (you'll want to contact them to get the right model though ^_^')

I also used mx4 arctic thermal paste if that helps too.

 

Yeah I asked a while back on the old notebook forums and i bought the exact same heatsink, although not from them from AliExpress because it was alot cheaper but seems to be of good quality! I have some Artic MX-4 at my flat but i'm currently at my parents so so i might have to wait to swap it out and see it it makes a difference.

I've noticed that most of the temp spikes are single core boosts so I'm not to worried anymore 🙂 

 

I also bought my new GPU from Clevo computer and been loving it.

 

Thanks for the advice!

Clevo P751TM-G / i7-8700K OC 4.8GHz Undervolted -100mV / RTX 2070 / 32GB DDR4 @ 2933Mhz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

dont worry too much about idle temps, load temps are much more important 😉

 

Load temps on most games don't seem to go above 75 the highest i've seen is 83 Celsius so i think thats pretty decent most of the time it tends to sit pretty comfortably between 69 -73 

  • Thumb Up 1

Clevo P751TM-G / i7-8700K OC 4.8GHz Undervolted -100mV / RTX 2070 / 32GB DDR4 @ 2933Mhz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, fricknbot said:

 

Load temps on most games don't seem to go above 75 the highest i've seen is 83 Celsius so i think thats pretty decent most of the time it tends to sit pretty comfortably between 69 -73 

that is waaaaaaaaay lower than the comfort limit, for sure 🙂 anything below 90 can be ignored, 90 to 95 is still ok as long as its not throttling and not running like that for hours on end. 

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6600 2x16 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 2x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" UHD 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB

 

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel 12600 @ 4.4 - 4.8 Ghz / Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6 / G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3800 / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Intel AX201 ax+BT / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 6:20 PM, jaybee83 said:

that is waaaaaaaaay lower than the comfort limit, for sure 🙂 anything below 90 can be ignored, 90 to 95 is still ok as long as its not throttling and not running like that for hours on end. 

 

So I've been looking around online and i stumbled across this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000406515978.html?spm=a2g0o.seodetail.topbuy.1.433465f21wrl8M i don't think i would try water cooling it but would the air cooler make a difference?

Clevo P751TM-G / i7-8700K OC 4.8GHz Undervolted -100mV / RTX 2070 / 32GB DDR4 @ 2933Mhz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't think it will do that much difference that Heatsink. The best thing you can  do for the CPU is to get a custom IHS for the CPU, like the BartX . It really is the moneys worth! It is reallly incredible what a difference it made for my 9900k

Lian Li O11Dynamic EVO MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi AMD Ryzen 9 7900x Lian Li Galahad 360 V2 Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo 32GB Kingston Renegade RGB Z 6000ghz SSD: Kingston KC3000 2TB, 2x Samsung 970 Evo 1TB Corsair HX1500i Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, fricknbot said:

 

So I've been looking around online and i stumbled across this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000406515978.html?spm=a2g0o.seodetail.topbuy.1.433465f21wrl8M i don't think i would try water cooling it but would the air cooler make a difference?

such a hybrid heatsink only makes sense if u actually use it for watercooling. then ull see significant temp reduction, in the range of 10-20C or even a bit more. but the air cooling capability is actually comparable to slightly worse vs the stock heatsink. ull sometimes see increased thermal mass to balance this out but thatll only prolong ur peak temps, not decrease them.

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6600 2x16 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 2x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" UHD 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB

 

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel 12600 @ 4.4 - 4.8 Ghz / Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6 / G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3800 / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Intel AX201 ax+BT / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use