NotebookTalk

Home Automation

Reciever

I've heard of this thing but haven't tried it.  You can install it at your breaker box and it will help tell where your electricity is going.

https://sense.com/

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key posts • Dell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Hadn't seen this option yet, thanks for sharing! 

I'm fairly certain it's just poor insulation and inefficient air conditioning. 

It's using 3x the power of my mining rig (10x GPU's) and still can't keep the house below 70F. My room is typically 80-85F these days 

I did just pick up a "smart thermostat" a few weeks ago, which has the perk of being able to see the temperature and control the AC while away from the home.  Not sure if that would really be helpful in your situation but maybe you could set it higher and then lower it while you are on the way home from work or something.  I selected "Ecobee3 Lite" and I'm quite happy with it so far...  Ecobee seems to be a leading brand and this was one of the few current models that I could find that has HomeKit support and does not have a microphone for Alexa / smart assistant support.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key posts • Dell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

8 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

I did just pick up a "smart thermostat" a few weeks ago, which has the perk of being able to see the temperature and control the AC while away from the home.  Not sure if that would really be helpful in your situation but maybe you could set it higher and then lower it while you are on the way home from work or something.  I selected "Ecobee3 Lite" and I'm quite happy with it so far...  Ecobee seems to be a leading brand and this was one of the few current models that I could find that has HomeKit support and does not have a microphone for Alexa / smart assistant support.

Yeah I am also not keen on buying a bug for my house. While I am a nobody that no one cares about, I've heard about the breaches of privacy that have happened already. Even iPhone support has been known to breach that as well. They brag about firing them afterwards but that doesnt resolve the initial breach.

For now I have picked up a couple of KASA smart plugs since in one of the top reviews the guy noted that it can be controlled "locally" without need of cloud support or even manufacturer support. This will be my gateway drug into automation I am sure

• Thumb Up 1

I use a homeassistant (https://www.home-assistant.io/) on a raspberry Pi with some Z-wave smart plugs as well as a few Kasa smart plugs.  It's really easy to schedule things.  It has options for energy monitoring and such as well, but I've not gotten into that.  There is really a ton of stuff out there for home automation stuff with lots of ways to go. 

Sadly your basically running the AC and a heater with all the mining your doing.  Does it still turn a profit after the dramatic drop? 

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

1 hour ago, Custom90gt said:

I use a homeassistant (https://www.home-assistant.io/) on a raspberry Pi with some Z-wave smart plugs as well as a few Kasa smart plugs.  It's really easy to schedule things.  It has options for energy monitoring and such as well, but I've not gotten into that.  There is really a ton of stuff out there for home automation stuff with lots of ways to go. 

Sadly your basically running the AC and a heater with all the mining your doing.  Does it still turn a profit after the dramatic drop? 

I haven't been mining in the last few months, when I do though it's only in my bedroom which is sealed off and made into a negative pressure room. It's not an airtight seal of course but I'm not directing any air into the room. 

At my previous location air conditioning running and mining I was at about 440 per month, this new location with no mining it's averaging 600. It appears that the AC is running 20 hours a day which is the principle issue. 

I tore down the mining stuff to clean it up and will be getting it going after I get some supplies, namely a few shelves, my power is free overnight so that's when I tend to mine. 

• Thumb Up 1

• 5 months later...

The (single?) advantage of smart plugs with remote access is that you can see if something is wrong if the power consumption is not as expected. Privacy breaches can get very real with AV-capable devices:

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity