Jump to content
NotebookTalk

Looking for new laptop for the future


Recommended Posts

So I've been looking into a new machine for a while now. Not because I wish to decommission my (I guess custom) HP and Dell workstations. But things can change, so I'm now looking into a new machine and albeit I have tech experience; I'm pretty picky. I should mention my needs for a system is a good SRGB/DCI-P3 panel, upgradeable RAM and storage, it's a must.
I haven't done these ever, I'd appreciate any suggestion or help! Thanks!
 
General Questions

1) What is your budget? £800 to £1100

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
 
3) In which country will you buying this notebook? Great Britain

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Acer, MSI, Medion, Dell, HP
b. Dislike: Asus to an extent after negative experience with keyboard quality and support from Asus.
 
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? If it's a model suggested and can't be bought new, I can consider refurbs/redistributed laptops.

6) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook? Video editing 10-bit  Cinema4K footage, photo editing and gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both

8 ) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) I currently play Borderlands: GOTY Enhanced and been trying out Hitman 2.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 6 hours away from the mains.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebook you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Buying it online without seeing is OK. I tend to find reviews, especially detailed ones from Notebookcheck.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows
12) What ports do you require on your laptop? (ex. MiniDisplayPort or HDMI? Displayport or USB-C w/ DP?) My current machines have DisplayPort. But USB-C Thunderbolt 3 or 4 would be nice. I use Ethernet as well.

Screen Specifics

13) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? See further below for explanations. 1920x1080

14) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? See further below for explanations. Preferably matte

Build Quality and Design

15) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Build quality should be good, also meaning the keyboard shouldn't fall apart in 6 months.

Notebook Components

16) How much storage space do you need? 256GB, but more the merrier.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

17) When do you consider purchasing this laptop? It's not urgent so not anytime soon.

18) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 4 Years.

19) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? Long enough since I'll still be keeping my Zbook 15 G2 and M4800.

20) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Not necessary.

==========
END COPY
 
  • Thumb Up 1

MXM or BUST

 

M4800: i7 4810MQ, Radeon Pro WX4150 4GB, 32GB RAM, 120Hz TN display, 240GB MSATA, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD. Windows 10 Pro 64bit

 

Zbook 15 G2: i7 4710MQ, Quadro M2000M, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 60hz IPS display, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can check out mid-range gaming laptops within your budget like the Lenovo Legion series, HP Omen, Dell G Series and others since you're going to be doing heavy 3D tasks. Since battery life will be factor a laptop with an AMD CPU would be a better choice than Intel laptops but Intel's CPU's perform better in productivity tasks especially 12th Gen ones and they often have a thunderbolt port. Its a lot of choices within your budget.

  • Thanks 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 21H2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 9:49 PM, KING19 said:

You can check out mid-range gaming laptops within your budget like the Lenovo Legion series, HP Omen, Dell G Series and others since you're going to be doing heavy 3D tasks. Since battery life will be factor a laptop with an AMD CPU would be a better choice than Intel laptops but Intel's CPU's perform better in productivity tasks especially 12th Gen ones and they often have a thunderbolt port. Its a lot of choices within your budget.

So I've been looking since this post. I had a look at Legion but discovered some didn't have a good panel or build quality was questionable. I didn't mention that low noise emission was also a requirement. I did find a laptop, that was a potential candidate and it's an Acer ConceptD 14in but reading some reviews yields conflicting opinions with theirs. Some say the keyboard isn't great and it's a loud unit yet other reviews say otherwise.

 

It's become quite a challenge now... Yikes. I may have to wait until there's either a decent deal or hold on until there's something ideal on sale.

MXM or BUST

 

M4800: i7 4810MQ, Radeon Pro WX4150 4GB, 32GB RAM, 120Hz TN display, 240GB MSATA, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD. Windows 10 Pro 64bit

 

Zbook 15 G2: i7 4710MQ, Quadro M2000M, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 60hz IPS display, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2022 at 8:37 AM, Vaardu said:

So I've been looking since this post. I had a look at Legion but discovered some didn't have a good panel or build quality was questionable. I didn't mention that low noise emission was also a requirement. I did find a laptop, that was a potential candidate and it's an Acer ConceptD 14in but reading some reviews yields conflicting opinions with theirs. Some say the keyboard isn't great and it's a loud unit yet other reviews say otherwise.

 

It's become quite a challenge now... Yikes. I may have to wait until there's either a decent deal or hold on until there's something ideal on sale.

 

The Legions have good build quality especially the 2022 models. The Pro and the Legion 7s uses QHD+ screens with 500 nits of brightness. The Legion 5 can be configured with a QHD screen and decent 1080p Panels as long you avoid the cheapest panel especially in retail stores. You could try to look for non-gaming laptops like the HP ENVY, Lenovo Thinkpad, and maybe the DELL XPS with a dedicated GPU but you might have to increase your budget somewhat.

  • Like 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 21H2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, KING19 said:

 

The Legions have good build quality especially the 2022 models. The Pro and the Legion 7s uses QHD+ screens with 500 nits of brightness.

 

I would advise some caution, though, as I've always believed Lenovo's 500-nit brightness claim on these models to be somewhat misleading. Yes, it is able to achieve that level at 100%. However, below that point, brightness falls off a cliff. Even at 80%, I believe it's well under 300 nits. Far from unusable, mind you, but most other laptops have a much more linear fall off as you go down the scale.

  • Thumb Up 3

Desktop: Ryzen 9 5950X | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 | 2 TB SSD | Windows 10

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3070 Ti | 1 TB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11
Apple iPad Gen 9: A13 Bionic | 3 GB RAM | 64 GB | iPadOS

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2022 at 11:14 AM, saturnotaku said:

 

I would advise some caution, though, as I've always believed Lenovo's 500-nit brightness claim on these models to be somewhat misleading. Yes, it is able to achieve that level at 100%. However, below that point, brightness falls off a cliff. Even at 80%, I believe it's well under 300 nits. Far from unusable, mind you, but most other laptops have a much more linear fall off as you go down the scale.

 

Yea that true but it isnt a major problem if you're indoors anyways and/or not in a room filled with sunlight.

 

Even at 40-50% brightness with my 2020 Legion 5 300nit screen  when i am running on battery its very usable.  You can always keep it at 100% if you dont mind losing battery life or if you keep it plugged in with conservation mode on

  • Like 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 21H2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, KING19 said:

 

Yea that true but it isnt a major problem if you're indoors anyways and/or not in a room filled with sunlight.

 

Even at 40-50% brightness with my 2020 Legion 5 300nit screen  when i am running on battery its very usable.  You can always keep it at 100% if you dont mind losing battery life or if you keep it plugged in with conservation mode on

 

The 300-nit panel on the standard Legion 5 doesn't suffer from the brightness fall-off nearly as much as the 500-nit one on the Pro and 7.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 5950X | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 | 2 TB SSD | Windows 10

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3070 Ti | 1 TB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11
Apple iPad Gen 9: A13 Bionic | 3 GB RAM | 64 GB | iPadOS

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2022 at 10:43 AM, saturnotaku said:

 

The 300-nit panel on the standard Legion 5 doesn't suffer from the brightness fall-off nearly as much as the 500-nit one on the Pro and 7.

 

It does according to Jarrod and it drops below 50nits at 50% brightness

 

2020: (300nits 144Hz)

4b935d8227ec6270e0592fa308acf18c.png

 

2021 (300 nits 165Hz):

56cd5a1d0be15a232fd0b4479805da66.png

 

Its actually worse on the 2021 model with the 165Hz screen. I dont know what Jarrod uses to measure it but it seems only Lenovo laptops suffers from this. Like i said even at 40-50% brightness its very usable despite the lower brightness.

  • Thumb Up 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 21H2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In regards to the brightness, my M4800 has a panel rated for 300nits. As of now there's still nothing ideal, since either model has a downside on one specific part over the other (which is pathetic, come on now don't integrate the entire palmrest). I don't think the Legion is gonna be the laptop for me, as I just watched a video of someone actively using a soldering iron to uninstall the keyboard... This is severely reducing my options further.

  • Thumb Up 2

MXM or BUST

 

M4800: i7 4810MQ, Radeon Pro WX4150 4GB, 32GB RAM, 120Hz TN display, 240GB MSATA, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD. Windows 10 Pro 64bit

 

Zbook 15 G2: i7 4710MQ, Quadro M2000M, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 60hz IPS display, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2022 at 1:53 PM, KING19 said:

 

It does according to Jarrod and it drops below 50nits at 50% brightness

 

2020: (300nits 144Hz)

4b935d8227ec6270e0592fa308acf18c.png

 

2021 (300 nits 165Hz):

56cd5a1d0be15a232fd0b4479805da66.png

 

Its actually worse on the 2021 model with the 165Hz screen. I dont know what Jarrod uses to measure it but it seems only Lenovo laptops suffers from this. Like i said even at 40-50% brightness its very usable despite the lower brightness.

 

 

If you had not posted that I would have called BS. but I guess you learn something new everyday. 50 nits is mighty low though I don't see how or why anyone would go below 90 percent brightness

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Looked into the Legion 5 Pro 16in, but discovered the fan noise emission is too high for me.

Looked into the Dell G15, the reviews weren't positive on Dell's site and build quality doesn't seem great. The Dell G16 looks enticing but Dell isn't selling it in the UK. Ugh.

 

I looked into the ThinkPad T15g second hand but for some reason the price is overinflated for such a model that doesn't have anything other than gaming orientated specifications, even a last gen RTX... This is silly, it shouldn't be this difficult to filter out the good systems that don't outright deny you on repairability and the artificial price hike.

 

Considering what I'm doing now with Unreal Engine 5 the system I'm currently on is definitely showing its age.

MXM or BUST

 

M4800: i7 4810MQ, Radeon Pro WX4150 4GB, 32GB RAM, 120Hz TN display, 240GB MSATA, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD. Windows 10 Pro 64bit

 

Zbook 15 G2: i7 4710MQ, Quadro M2000M, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 60hz IPS display, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I've been looking on eBay for second hand units and stumbled on a RTX 3000 Dell Precision 7540. It's tempting but unsure if anyone has compared it to an RTX 2070/3060/3050. It's almost perfect except I'm unsure of anyone's experience with them.

MXM or BUST

 

M4800: i7 4810MQ, Radeon Pro WX4150 4GB, 32GB RAM, 120Hz TN display, 240GB MSATA, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD. Windows 10 Pro 64bit

 

Zbook 15 G2: i7 4710MQ, Quadro M2000M, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 60hz IPS display, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Vaardu said:

So I've been looking on eBay for second hand units and stumbled on a RTX 3000 Dell Precision 7540. It's tempting but unsure if anyone has compared it to an RTX 2070/3060/3050. It's almost perfect except I'm unsure of anyone's experience with them.

@Aaron44126 might have had some exposure to one 

  • Thumb Up 1

Telegram / TS3Twitter

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use