NotebookTalk

Overheating Precision 7510

Reshen

So in anticipation of the arrival of my new 7670, I wanted to get my current 7510 in tip top shape. I'll keep it as a secondary because it's still very capable.

Thing is the system tells me a fan has failed. I wanted to order the replacement part but Dell (in South Africa) is not supporting this unit anymore. I can still run the unit though after bypassing the warning.

I'll only start fiddling when I have the

new unit is configured. But I did some investigation and it seems the fans are turning. The machine has had a new motherboard under warranty, so things were moved. So I'm wondering if I should first try to reseat and paste the cooler before finding a new part on eBay or wherever?

Any other ideas on what to check before I open it up?

I got a fan malfunction on my (similar) 7520 when it was new. Dell replaced it under warranty. They replaced the whole fan assembly unit, cooler and heatpipes included.

This is how the malfunctioning fan sounded.

Precision M4800 - Core i7-4810MQ - FirePro M5100 - 24GB DDR3 1600 Windows 11 x64

Precision 7520 - Xeon E3-1545M v5 - Quadro M2200 - 32GB DDR4 2666 Windows 11 x64

If there is no load on the system, the fans should cycle between the lowest level (≈2400 RPM or less) and off (0 RPM).

Assuming the fans are plugged in properly, if the system is complaining about a fan failure and it is behaving strangely with regards to the fans... it's gotta be either the motherboard or the fan.  I don't think you can (easily) separate the fans from the heatsink assembly in this one.  Even if you could, it looks like the price for buying a set of fans or a whole heatsink (with fans) is about the same.  You can purchase a heatsink assembly on eBay for $25ish (USD) — I would assume that some sellers offer worldwide shipping.  Of course, removing the heatsink will also require applying new thermal paste when installing a new one.

There are different versions of the heatsink assembly (depending on the GPU, I think).  If you are going to pick up a new one, put in your service code at dell.com/support and look at the parts list for your system to see which one you have.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi