NotebookTalk

HP ZBook Fury G9/G10 (16") General Thread

Easa

On 4/29/2023 at 9:49 PM, Ionising_Radiation said:

And perhaps most importantly, the fact that HP offers a 4K-class, 16:10, high-refresh-rate, deep-colour, wide-gamut display (whereas even the 7680 is still stuck with a 1920×1200 60 Hz) is very enticing indeed. 

Not considering other stuff, that display is the sole reason that Fury is the best choice ATM. I yet have to see a better LED illuminated laptop display, and I have seen hundreds of not thousands of them. 

21 hours ago, saperkus said:

Years ago HP began cooperation with DreamWorks. The results of this cooperation are DreamColor displays, which you've mentioned.

The cooperation with DreamWorks was truly the real start of the DreamColor displays, but nowadays, who knows, I doubt the screen manufacturers receive any input from DW or HP, I bet the HP just picks the best panel available ATM. 

21 hours ago, saperkus said:

HP released the QuickSpecs of the device, so it is most likely already released.

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c08580055

It could be, that device is currently available for bulk orders and it will take a few weeks before it will be available on the retail market (or configurable at HP Site).

Where did you get this? When I go to the product page, it says that the QuickSpecs are still TBA:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/workstations/zbook-fury-specs.html

5 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Fully agree about the 230W power supply in the Zbook 16 G9 by the way - it is too small and too low in power and often seems to be close to cooking itself - I usually cool it with an additional fan on my Zbook 17 G5 as it gets so hot.

Well, we are still stuck with the 230W nonsense on the G10 & I worry what the next generation will bring. I think this might just be the last generation that has CPU and PCH as a standalone elements, not as a SoC. Funny thing, QuickSpecs mention availability of 5600MHz DDR5 RAM for the new Fury, but the SODIMM limitation still sits at 4000MHz. Is this purely marketing BS or am I missing something?

• 2 weeks later...

So much for the cool 'Z' branding being replaced by 'HP' thanks to Russia's use of 'Z' during their invasion of Ukraine. I covered my ZBook's lid with a skin to hide the 'Z' anyway, so...

On 5/11/2023 at 3:56 AM, Mashcar said:

I am thinking about buying Fury G9, anyone tried playing games on it ? Is it worth to go for Quadro RTX A4500/ A5500 version or A3000 is enough ?

As to gaming: yes, you can. I have played Cyberpunk 2077 and Hogwart's Legacy on it set to ultra with an A5500. Frame rates are 60 - 100 on a 3440 x 1440p monitor. That said, the A3000 will be enough for most games. My previous laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad P17 Gen 2) had an RTX 3000 and it did just fine. 

HP ZBook Fury 16 G9

On 5/26/2023 at 8:40 AM, Ionising_Radiation said:

Wahey, $10k+ tax. I would be furious if I paid that lol

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I made a massive research before choosing my next workstation, I eventually ended up with the fury g9.

I´m writing here in as warning for anyone who would be considering the same product, to save energy, nerves, money and a massive disappointment from the hp policies.

Workstation as a such is ok however with one critical error:

DO NOT PURCHASE THE VERSION WITH THE RGB KEYBOARD!

The buttons do not alight with the chassis of the body. Due to this there is this terrible glow leaking from under the buttons and instead of boosting my productivity with custom led buttons, I have decreased it, since the glow is so bad, that I have to be switching the LEDS of the keyboard off.

... very useful for machine worth + 6000

Although I have active care program and the keyboard was instantly replaced with the new one, the problem is that hp engineers made "a great job" and obviously someone screw up big times.

Instead of the apology and solution, they didn´t offer the the "classical" white keyboard (which is even $79 cheaper) as I proposed as a solution, but have claimed that this is by design.

I repeat they have produced a keyboard that is half blinding you and this is "BY DESIGN".

Therefore nothing can´t be done about it, since it is not failure of hardware and therefore can´t by replaced.

One last point, one of the main reason of choosing this model was the Dreamcolour display that I thought would be pretty epic...Well it isn´t, it doesnt even hold the uniformity of colours across the screen (black turns in the corners to grey - brownish)...

I made a huge mistake, the decision was between the dell and hp, since I´m a visual artist not an engineer, dell lost the fight due to the worse display, but I should have gone with the "worse" display that is however more uniformed.

No matter how bad is Dell becoming in last years, they´rs customer service is still just another level.

2 hours ago, Ondrej said:

Well it isn´t, it doesnt even hold the uniformity of colours across the screen (black turns in the corners to grey - brownish)

This is really an IPS display problem rather than a HP problem. I assure you that unless you put the IPS panel behind another glass panel and glue it (like in MacBooks), you will get at least some edge backlight bleed. I have experienced it in all IPS laptops I have ever seen; the only difference is the extent. My current Precision 7560 notebook has it.

I don't think even Dell will take you up on your request to replace your keyboard; where I live, they have a pretty strict one-for-one policy. Unless the product is explicitly designated as disposable (e.g. thermal pads, bezel around the display, very old batteries, etc), they will only perform a replacement based on the existing manifest. If you want a part that is not listed in the manifest for your product, you will have to buy it and pay extra, even if the option would render your notebook cheaper than what you originally purchased it for. 

17 minutes ago, Ionising_Radiation said:

I don't think even Dell will take you up on your request to replace your keyboard; where I live, they have a pretty strict one-for-one policy.

Yes, I have experienced the same with Dell.  They won't swap one part for another, even with an issue like this.  You'd have to source the part and replace it yourself, or return the system and order a different one with the configuration that you want.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Sorry to hear of your troubles @Ondrej.

The OLED screen on the Fury in fantastic. I have had the Dreamcolor display on the G5 and the OLED outclasses it. 

I have the white backlit keyboard and I was regretting not getting the RGB keyboard. Glad I didn't.

HP ZBook Fury 16 G9

On 6/6/2023 at 1:48 PM, Ondrej said:

The buttons do not alight with the chassis of the body. Due to this there is this terrible glow leaking from under the buttons

Is it possible that the buttons and the chassis are different for the RGB and the white backlit keyboard variants? My assumption was that they just simple replacing the white LEDs with RGB ones. Can the glow be the same for the white backlit variant as well?

By the way, I'm currently looking for a new mobile workstation and my two main candidates are the hp ZBook Fury G10 and the Lenovo Thinkpad P16 G2.

Is it possible to disable the discrete GPU in the BIOS? I'm considering buying a G9 currently on sale but it comes with an RTX A1000 which is mostly incompatible for my use case. Or alternatively would there be any issue just removing the graphics card?

On 5/3/2023 at 11:05 AM, Easa said:

The cooperation with DreamWorks was truly the real start of the DreamColor displays, but nowadays, who knows, I doubt the screen manufacturers receive any input from DW or HP, I bet the HP just picks the best panel available ATM.

HP is no longer working with DreamWorks, as DreamWorks is currently romancing with Lenovo.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/servers-storage/solutions/customer-stories/dreamworks/

Where did you get this? When I go to the product page, it says that the QuickSpecs are still TBA:

From my experience, these portals are often not up-to-date or even working at times... Anyway, all QuickSpecs documents are always uploaded to the site below:

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/Library.aspx?doctype=41&doccompany=HPI&footer=41&filter_doctype=no&filter_doclang=no&country=&filter_country=no&cc=us&lc=en&filter_status=rw#doctype-41&sortorder-popular&teasers-off&isRetired-false&isRHParentNode-false

Well, we are still stuck with the 230W nonsense on the G10 & I worry what the next generation will bring.

I just wanted to point out, that HP used up to 200W PSUs for many generations and G9 finally introduced an improvement. HP is rather conservative with making any changes, so there's no change in G10. Maybe G11 will introduce bigger PSU...

Funny thing, QuickSpecs mention availability of 5600MHz DDR5 RAM for the new Fury, but the SODIMM limitation still sits at 4000MHz. Is this purely marketing BS or am I missing something?

I have explained it in the other topic:

DO NOT PURCHASE THE VERSION WITH THE RGB KEYBOARD!

I have compared Fury 15 G8 and Fury 16 G9 (standard backlit) keyboards and the later is inferior. The typing feeling was a lot worse - to the point, that I got a feeling that I am using some sort of an RCU. It seems that RGB keyboard is even worse than that...

The buttons do not alight with the chassis of the body. Due to this there is this terrible glow leaking from under the buttons and instead of boosting my productivity with custom led buttons, I have decreased it, since the glow is so bad, that I have to be switching the LEDS of the keyboard off.

It seems that the cause of the issue is the fact, that HP fused keyboard with palmrest and that palmrest is not flat around the keyboard area. I was told, that HP fused them together to achieve their sustainability or carbon footprint goals...

On 6/20/2023 at 4:36 AM, rzamz said:

Is it possible to disable the discrete GPU in the BIOS? I'm considering buying a G9 currently on sale but it comes with an RTX A1000 which is mostly incompatible for my use case.

No, it is no longer possible. On early BIOS versions of HP ZBook Fury 15 G8 it was still possible, but then a security vulnerability was found and feature was removed.

On 6/20/2023 at 4:36 AM, rzamz said:

Or alternatively would there be any issue just removing the graphics card?

Technically, it should work, but there was some issues connected to it:

• dGPU is non-user replaceable part. In case of warranty claim, HP may refuse the warranty repairs due to hardware alternation.
  • HP is using compression-based connector (BEAM connector) for the dGPU. After its removal, the connector needs to be disposed and new one should be installed. Getting new one is difficult and questionably pricey.
  • You would need to use kapton tape to protect the dGPU slot, as otherwise you may cause a short and fry the motherboard in process. Alternatively, you can buy a UWA heat sink, but this would be an additional investment.
  • I do not know, if some kind of spacer/bracket/passthrough adapter would be necessary to make iGPU to support external displays... Normally, these displays are driven by dGPU.

23 hours ago, saperkus said:

No, it is no longer possible. On early BIOS versions of HP ZBook Fury 15 G8 it was still possible, but then a security vulnerability was found and feature was removed.

Are you sure about this? I remember reading reports that the BIOS option to disable the dGPU was still present on the Studio G9.

• 3 weeks later...

The buttons do not alight with the chassis of the body. Due to this there is this terrible glow leaking from under the buttons

I like how this photo exactly shows what you described above. 😄
image.png.c726bc30c5168248e06a2894e918db20.png

It is from the laptopmag test: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/hp-zbook-fury-16-g9-review-a-mobile-workstation-with-endless-horsepower

They of course don't mention this...

On 6/23/2023 at 3:37 PM, the_professor said:

Are you sure about this? I remember reading reports that the BIOS option to disable the dGPU was still present on the Studio G9.

I can't be more sure, as I own the device. I never had the opportunity to test the ZBook Studio, so I can't comment on it.

On 7/10/2023 at 4:03 PM, saperkus said:

I can't be more sure, as I own the device. I never had the opportunity to test the ZBook Studio, so I can't comment on it.

Fair enough! Hopefully I'll soon get a Studio G10 to play with. Really curious how it stacks against the Precisions.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

As I understand it, only configs with the A3000 and above GPUs have vapor chamber cooling. Unfortunately (or fortunately, maybe?) I don't need--and thus can't justify the premium for--an A3000, so I'm looking at the A2000 paired with an i7-12800HX. It seems this config has heat pipes for cooling.

Does anyone have any experience with this config, to be able to comment on cooling capacity? Am I setting myself up for terrible thermal throttling or fans that sound like there's a 747 taking off of my desk?

Any and all thoughts/advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I forgot to specify this is in regards to ZBook Fury G9. 

Edited by TheGentleKlingon
Added relevant info.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

new guy here 🙂

Went through all the messages and found some interesting stuff about the Fury series.

Bought a G10 Fury after being a Precision fan ever since they hit the market.

Got the i9 with ATA 3500 configuration and i am mostly happy.What i find quite frustrating is that i also use this laptop
for music production in my free time and there seems to have some issues with crackling and pops when playing audio either from YouTube or while working with my Universal Audio Apollo Twin interface.It is not super bad but enough to frustrate me after spending so much money on it.

For some reason i can not set the audio quality to anything other than 16 bit 48000Hz or 24 bit 48000Hz from my Realtek audio device.My external audio has all the setting i could think of but not the internal one.I usually use 24 bit 41000Hz in general and i have no idea why i do not have any other options rather than the two i already mentioned.

I suppose if i knew exactly what is the chipset for the audio,i could probably find a driver that actually gives me options to change the quality format but i don't.I can't find any info online.

One other thing that is also happening for again,unexplainable reasons is the whole system freezes for like 5-10 seconds once or twice a day.Just out of the blue,the mouse,sound,picture,everything freezes for a few seconds.

I have done all the necessary things like latest BIOS updates,drivers and what not.I am trying not to get paranoid or disappointed by my new workstation and looking for solution to the audio issue-the other one isn't something that worries me that much,although it probably should.

If anyone had similar experience with their G9-G10 or any of the series,will be extremely thankful to share their solution with me.Running Windows 11 Pro,if that matters.

Be well and all the best

2 hours ago, BleachCake said:

crackling and pops when playing audio

Classic DPC latency causing audio drop-outs...

In a nutshell — Background processes running at the lowest level (mostly device drivers, but also perhaps OS processes or security software) can grab hold of the system to do work, causing everything to freeze.  They should "release" control quickly enough that you do not notice that anything happened (1ms or less).  You might notice something visually if such a process keeps the system held for, say, 2-5ms (since a 60 Hz monitor needs frames generated at 16ms), but that is enough time to run the audio buffer dry and create a noticeable audio blip, especially if you are trying to do real-time audio work.  The whole system freezing issue might be a more extreme version of this.

To get a hint as to what is causing this, download "LatencyMon" and run it while you work.  (The text at the top of the linked page sort of explains this issue.)

Just hit the "Play" button and leave it running in the background.  After some time has passed (or you observe one of your audio blips), hit "Stop" and then go take a look at the Drivers tab.  They should automatically be sorted with the worst offenders on top.  For a system running smoothly we would not want to see any "highest execution time" values higher than 2ms or so.

Next step would be to take a look at this list (which will be a list of .sys files), figure out what the worst offenders correspond to, and then see if there is anything you can do to fix it.

Example —

ndis.sys is part of the Windows network stack, and if it is showing high on your list then it could be an issue with your network driver.  Try using Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi, or vice versa, to see if that makes the problem go away.  If so, you know which device driver you need to fight with.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Aaron,

thanx a lot for your quick response man,highly appreciated.

Right of the bat i got the following images(see attached).

The third pic is after i ran it without my external monitor.Obviously there is an issue and will have to figure out how to fix it.
Not sure how to reinstall those drivers but will keep reading and researching.The funny part is that after starting LatencyMon,even without doing anything it detects that the system is having trouble handling audio and other tasks.

I am perplexed and will probably buy a Mac at some point in the future to handle my sound stuff,Windows is atrocious when it comes to audio.I am amazed after spending a good chunk of money,i have to bash my head against the wall just to make this laptop handle audio.

Thank you once again,will keep you posted

LM1.jpg

LM2.jpg

LM3.jpg

2 hours ago, BleachCake said:

Right of the bat i got the following images(see attached).

Yeah, I am/was a Dell Precision guy and I fought with this on and off for years, thinking I had it sorted only to have it crop up again after a driver or Windows update.  Sad to see it seems to impact many high-end laptops.

Also, I started typing "wdf0" into DuckDuckGo search and the first suggestion that popped back was "wdf01000.sys latency", so must not be a standalone issue!

I ran across this thread, and on the second page someone suggests making sure that certain audio processes do not run on cores 0 or 1, maybe that will help.  I myself have sworn off using Windows for my personal system about six months ago and I have never run into anything like this on Linux or macOS.  (My work system is still Windows, but I do back-end dev work, audio doesn't really matter.)

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Was up till 5 am,reading,browsing and trying what not,to no avail.Quite a lot of people using Windows seem to have sound drop outs and crackles and the usual suspects are Wdf01000.sys,nvlddmkm.sys and ACPI.sys.

Now when i think about it,i don't think i had such sound issues when i bought the Fury a month ago.Should have been some win update or driver or something.Do not want to reinstall windows right now since i am using the workstation for work.

I am using also Linux for work as well and that is the most stable OS.Unfortunately most of the sound programs and vst plugins that i am using aren't available there.

Will keep delving with dogged determination cause i just refuse to accept windows could suck so much when it comes to audio.Other high end laptops also have similar issues so i doubt it has anything to do with the Fury.

Have a good day and keep you posted

• Thumb Up 1

4 hours ago, BleachCake said:

nvlddmkm.sys

So I have been able to get nvlddmkm.sys to calm down before by going to NVIDIA control panel and setting the power management mode from "automatic" to "prefer maximum performance", not globally, but for a specific application that I was using.  This would be under "Manage 3D Settings", then the "Program settings" tab.

This would potentially slightly increase power draw (+ heat, noise), but I think the NVIDIA GPU constantly changing power states is part of what causes DPC latency from its driver.

Wondering if you still have the same issue with an external monitor connected, because at least based on the screenshots that you shared above, that seems to cause wdf01000.sys to calm down a lot.

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi