NotebookTalk

DLSS manual update link techpowerup

Hertzian56

Yeah diminishing returns for us, but for nvidia etc greater returns smaller market at higher prices, they should just make a console out of a 4080 lol call it a day, don't even bother with the rest of it, online dl games through their store at some point cut out any competition as they'd love to do.

DLSS3 works really well in some cases. I'm sure just like DLSS itself (which we can thank for FSR even existing) it will improve over time. DLSS2 is fantastic, DLSS had some shortcomings when they first launched it. But just like RT or any of these types of new technologies it's hard to improve it without getting into early adopter hands and having a huge audience of data to work from. Also can't just keep throwing away money in R&D without some revenue. Just the way it works with publicly traded companies.

nVidia, AMD, Intel.. all of them are just there to make money.. they aren't your friends.. they aren't worth the ignorantly tribal cult fanaticism that seems to have permeated nooks and crannies of multiple aspects of society. But.. without advancing features and providing some value they leave themselves open to competitors eating their lunch. I think nVidia has made some fantastic technology strides.. but yeah.. they are there to turn that into profits and it shows based on what they are charging for the 4000 series and AMD is following right along to make profits as well. They are both priced wildly this gen. 

The 4080 typically using less or the same power as the 3080 for the performance gain is a fantastic feat. The price however is so out of line. The DIE IS SMALLER, which is the most expensive part. They are making A HUGE profit off each GPU. Margins are so high. But they can't keep 4090s on the shelf, so .. yeah.. people have spoken.

• Bump 1

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

[Sleipnir] MacBook Pro 16 | M1 Max | 32GB | 1TB

[Munnin] LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD | Fedora 38

Eh most companies who make a physical product don't sell r&d in process to the public with wild marketing and frankly just deception. There's an obvious strategy there to raise pricing with software gimmicks instead of working on better hardware. Games and such seem to be one of those places this is done. Buy a dump, sweep it out, put some new paint, sell if for 100% more. Do the same with companies etc seems to be the new "good" sheesh.

Simply by pushing FPS up so they can hide the artifacts and "guessed" fake frames seems very wonky and of course all this 100fps+ capable equipment is high end segment and so many are so hooked on the rush of it, not just the wealthy, they'll go and buy it and take on debt etc causing all kinds of problems. Even if you are selling to sheiks it's still wrong to bamboozle them.

Nvidia(latin: Invidia-envy) should be focusing on simply making cards that render normal games at a given resolution and fps, not use tricks like this.  I guess if you like the fight club "movie" subliminals the Pitt character splices in then dlss3 is for you. And GTX past Pascal would have still sold well, there was really no need to introduce an artificial new tech other than gimmickry. The efficiency of Pascal both desktop and especially laptop was a high point, much less difference between the two in real performance. I'm certainly not saying there's not good there but idk as we go along it just seems to be nothing but gimmicks, take out the names of the cards, randomized trial on the same major games that everyone knows are optimized like crazy, new doom games, GTAV, MGS3, Death Stranding, etc and what going back to the 780ti or more would probably surprise people.

• Like 1

Eh.  NVIDIA added tensor cores to their GPUs with Volta to help with AI acceleration in the data center, and then they were carried forward to all future architectures from NVIDIA.  DLSS is done using the tensor cores, and I'd say that it is a natural use for those cores that would otherwise sit idle under a gaming workload.  It's not like they are not also improving traditional rendering as well (each generation still has more CUDA cores packed in), and if you prefer more traditional/complete rendering instead of DLSS, you can of course turn it off and take the framerate hit.  It's getting harder and harder to make chips smaller so I think that they days of performance doubling from one generation to the next (without "tricks") are done.

That said, this isn't new with DLSS; 3D rendering has been full of "tricks" to speed things up by taking shortcuts to reduce the GPU for years.  Things like TAA and VRS fall into the same bucket to me.  My experience so far has actually been that TAA is a good deal worse than DLSS when it comes to adding artifacts, but I have not had a chance to try DLSS 3.

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

• 2 weeks later...

DLSS 2 V3.1.1 out today not sure which game this comes from not given so far in the notes. Slap it in cp77 see if it's any different. So far 2.413 is the one I think is best for that game, sharpening works really good had to turn down to 50% from 65 after swapping it in.

Didn't notice much difference other than the sharpening in 2413 works better than any version I've tried including 3.1.1. It's too bad they called it DLSS3 because people are going to get confused now that DLSS2 has v3.1.1 and the difference between the two technologies isn't known by most people. Someone on Nexus has a way to replace DLSS2 with DLAA which is just better TAA without the downscale/upscale of DLSS2, so no perf benefit but if you have the extra power probably look better idk haven't tried it yet. And most people don't realize that DLSS2 and DLSS3 can both run concurrently and in fact will need to for 2k+/4k to get the very high FPS that FG/DLSS3 needs so you don't notice the fugly fake frames. Someone mentioned going from 70fps w the DLAA replacement and NO FG and then getting 120FPS with FG enabled at the same time. Would get even higher fps if they just used regular DLSS2 and DLSS3 together. This is all in cp77 btw

• Thumb Up 1

thanks god the 2k and 3k series support dlss it will come in handy with new aaa games require more power. I think im going to upgrade with the 6k series...in no rush

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Here's an article at dsog, john's usually pretty good at giving links and he's included a couple there for both FSR and DLSS updates that are github, however the dlss link has a bunch of dev stuff it's not just the dlss update dll like techpowerup has, some tech documentation by nvidia for devs using dlss etc 127mb file. Not sure about the FSR update will give it a try.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvidia-dlss-2-v3-1-1-amd-fsr-2-v2-2-0-have-been-released/

• 2 weeks later...