NotebookTalk

DLSS manual update link techpowerup

Hertzian56

Did you know you can manually update your DLSS?  It's as simple as getting the dll and dropping it into wherever it is in a particular game. Make a backup of the original older file just in case. I myself updated the 234 version in cyberpunk to the 2412 version with no problems. The latest version which was released 12-15 is 2.5. Usually game makers are slower to adopt new versions for obvious reasons. Anyways Techpowerup has a good page that has the latest version and an easy download here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/

Edit: here's the DLSS3 frame generation link:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-3-frame-generation-dll/

• Thumb Up 1

Oh nice thanks for that I wonder if it improves performance and or image quality. When I get my laptop back this is one of the things I'm doing first

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

yeah was aware of that but its nice to have an actual manual on how to do it. thanks bud!

• Thumb Up 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

I put the 2.5 version into cyberpunk last night no problems. v1.60 had 2.3.4 included. I've avoided updating the game since I have so many mods don't feel like the risk at this point. Only meaningful add I saw was FSR2. I didn't notice any huge difference with 2.5 though most of this stuff is incremental and usually it's mostly to add it for new games is my guess, like gpu drivers.

I've also used the mod for replacing dlss with FSR 2 in that game, before it was added in the last update, but only got flickering here and there and some weird effects in photo mode, but if you don't have an rtx card probably worth the performance boost. I also am not sure if FSR is manually updatable. I have the FSR 2.1 dll's but they are different from the amd_ags_x64.dll in the cp77 bin folder, maybe just need a rename. One is dx11 the other dx12. I got them from a link to an amd devs twitter or something, from dsog.

From the techpowerup link they get these dlss updates from new games that have them, nvidia does not release them which is stupid imo. I'm hoping perhaps if we can get the dlss 3 dll that modders can change something to make it compatible with rtx 2xxx cards who knows. Only a handful of games have it at this point.

• Thanks 1

Yeah making last gen obsolete and basically forcing you to update every year is the name of the game..this is why it's a good idea to just fiddle with graphics settings. 99 percent of the time you can have alot of settings turned down and have it look similar to ultra with a big boost in performance. Someone maybe me should make a guide for people kinda like what digital foundry does for each game so tweaking the game isn't so tedious.

Tip though don't buy a new system every year...there is always something thinner faster better. Never ends. It's kinda like asking someone to count to infinity...big waste of time

Lol bit of a ramble

• Thanks 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Saw that 2.5.1 came out last night, from portal rtx patch, stuck it into cp77 and no problems. I didn't really notice any improvement but it could be subtle who knows. Maybe just things for when rt and dlss enabled at the same time since portal so old I'm guessing most lower end rtx cards could actually use rt with decent framerates.

I have a 3060 and basically cant run any game at 4k with raytracing at any settings. best I can do is all low and net 24fps...its just too demanding unless you have a 4090 it should be a pass

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

22 hours ago, Hertzian56 said:

What exactly do these dll updates do performance and IQ wise? I'm pretty sure they get updated with new drivers also.  Seems risky playing will dlls. but thanks for the heads up

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

2 hours ago, ryan said:

What exactly do these dll updates do performance and IQ wise? I'm pretty sure they get updated with new drivers also.  Seems risky playing will dlls. but thanks for the heads up

Definitely risky, but as long as it's from the legitimate patch it should be ok. I suppose only get them from trusted sources that provide a checksum you can validate with or validate yourself that it's been signed by nvidia. Always risk though.

I've tried these DLSS library updates before and it seems to be hit or miss depending on the game. Sometimes they play nice and add a benefit, other times the newer dll will cause worse performance with ghosting artifacts or other problems. I tended to only try out other versions if the game was already exhibiting pronounced ghosting and they haven't updated the implementation themselves yet.

• Thanks 1

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

[Sleipnir] MacBook Pro 16 | M1 Max | 32GB | 1TB

[Munnin] LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD | Fedora 38

yeah im sketchy about a dll update. I don't know if I have the balls to do it. dlls can be a epic disaster. screw your whole system up. not into hard reinstalls

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Nah, used it on cp77 several different versions no problems whatsoever, if you've got a game that uses DLSS you can go get it from your own game, the version is always in the file properties. I have not looked but I know dying light 2 has some version I could grab from my install etc. Since I have not updated cp77 to 161 yet because it would be a pain with all my mods (ie updating the frameworks like CET,archivexl, tweakxl, redscript, etc) I'm not sure what version it's using. There was no substantial updating there besides FSR 2 support, have to get some real addons and improvements before I bother. cp77 160 used 2.3.4 stock but I've used 2412, 2.5, 2.5.1 and now using 2.4.13 since someone over at nexus says this is better. I haven't noticed any real difference, usually ghosting is the most noticeable and in 77 it's the quadra tail lights that are the most obvious indicator.

• Thanks 1

Idk I'm using 2413 for cyberpunk it seems like there's a bit of flicker in the badlands vegetation since I'm going through the missing persons missions in that area lately. One of the largest noticeable differences between FSR and DLSS in that game is the flicker on the joshua trees there, FSR not so good there, DLSS rock solid usually and I'm not having that with 2413 just vegetation flicker here and there could be motion induced. Have not noticed too much ghosting of tail lights and etc with this version, may put 251 back in and see next session. AFAIK cpdr didn't update 161 past the 234 it was at since  1.5. I looked it up and Dying Light 2 uses 237 at release time.

Even with an rtx if you're not using RT try FSR see how it is for you, I had the 2.0 FSR mod and got weird lighting in photo mode and the flicker issue, seemed to use more vram though which is good. I think it was similar with the built in FSR 1 in v160 game can't remember. Some say the FSR 2 mod is better than the native one in 161. I also tried to manually update FSR 1 in cp77 to FSR 2.1 with the dll's posted to an amd devs twitter, just renamed them to the amd file in the bin folder but the game wouldn't start said the amd runtimes weren't there, just put the original back in no problems this was a week or two ago too bad FSR is not manually updateable like DLSS is, should be since it works with any card.

I don't notice anything different. but thats ok not a big deal. I think if we ever see dlss 3.0 it will be a big deal

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

3 hours ago, ryan said:

I don't notice anything different. but thats ok not a big deal. I think if we ever see dlss 3.0 it will be a big deal

First nvidia would have to implement/allow DLSS 3 on cards older than 40 series. All the coverage I've seen of DLSS 3.0 so far has basically said the benefit isn't realized fully unless you are already at 80-90+ FPS on high refresh rate monitor. DLSS 2.0 is good enough to provide a bump and in some games looks better than native.

• Thumb Up 1

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

[Sleipnir] MacBook Pro 16 | M1 Max | 32GB | 1TB

[Munnin] LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD | Fedora 38

yeah dlss 3 only for rtx 4xxx cards sadly, frame generation and such would be so nice with cp77 since the card is only at 40-50% usage at acceptable settings but yeah it's also for high level performance rigs only. Ah maybe next year or after that...

Noticed some light points blinking at times too with 2413 so going to maybe swap out 237, 250, 251 etc see if any difference. Some minor ghosting of moto tires at night with underglow/rim glow applied.

• Thumb Up 1

bummer. was hoping a wizkid would do a hack and allow for frame generation on 2-3k cards. saw a youtube video saying someones working on it. but that doesnt matter.

I think I might upgrade toa 5k laptop when it comes out I don't see the need for anything better than a 3060 at 1080p and laptop gaming at 4k ultra is a ways off. I can do 4k but on all low settings, sometimes it looks good sometimes it looks like crap. suprisingly alot of games look good on all low like crysis remastered. and thps 1 and 2(remastered).

alright thats all

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 2 weeks later...

was playing cp77 last night and in the desert area in the film set with the trailers and the colby, not the other one, I noticed some pretty pronounced small weed flickering which is usually an easy way to see how good a dlss version is for this game along with ghosting. FSR 1 had pronounced plant and cactus branch flickering, even used the mod to swap out DLSS for FSR 2 in CP77 same thing but worse for FSR.

I had 2.5.1 in there so will change out to another version probably just go back to a 2.4 and go back to that location to compare, has a handy fast travel. I have a CET plugin for changing and adjusting moto rim glow, headlights and underglow and notice ghosting a bit on dark nights on the rear tire when lit up. It's not a big deal really but I'll pay attention to it to compare.

• Thumb Up 1

Threw in what v1.5 had default 2.3.4 and the flickering decreased dramatically at the desert film set in the small weeds of the main area, mind you this is all very minor stuff but I just noticed it a lot with 251 in there. I put in 2.4.12 again which I had for a long time, go back to film set and see.

• Thumb Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of interesting things about DLSS. Honestly sometimes think grab a gtx 1080, use FSR good to go for years, defer dealing with the Nvidia scammers for as long as possible. Thousands of great games already here anyways how much time can you play? Never get through all of the current games. If I had one just skip RT until there's a real breakthrough ie RT with sensible power reqs and prices.

https://www.techspot.com/article/2546-dlss-3/

I can actually see artifacts on the road surface while driving fast through high traffic areas pretty easy in cp77, and all of the dlss versions have ghosting, flickering and such at certain points. From the article it looks like at lower fps like a 4050/60 you're going to notice the made up frames problems, much more than at 100fps because of the higher fps not enough time to notice it, hopefully they can fix that because the idea that 800$+ gpus are going to become a widespread thing is ludicrous. They seem to be requiring 100fps+ to hide it from normal human conscious observational capabilities.

"

The problem with using DLSS 3 at a final frame rate of ~60 FPS is that it no longer hides the artifacts. Here we have Flight Simulator running at just above 60 FPS with frame generation enabled. When panning around this Airbus A320 from the exterior you can easily see instability around the edges of the aircraft, particularly the vertical stabilizer on the rear. These artifacts flicker noticeably and almost look like there's an issue with display corruption – that's DLSS 3.

In Cyberpunk 2077 we tried the same, running around 60 FPS with frame generation on, and you can see sizzling and artifacting around some on screen elements in motion. It's more noticeable at slower playback speeds, but is still visible in real time, and contrasts to the DLSS 2 image which doesn't have these issues at the same frame rate.

This makes DLSS 3 unsuitable/unusable as a tool to target 60 FPS if your GPU isn't powerful enough to render at this frame rate natively. In fact, you'll likely see issues with the presentation at any target frame rate below 100 to 120 FPS based on our experience with the technology so far.

This means the GPU must be capable of rendering at least with DLSS 2 enabled somewhere in the 60 to 80 FPS range before enabling DLSS 3, and to avoid UI artifacts you'll need to aim higher, even a baseline of say 100-120 FPS with a final frame rate near 200 FPS. It's abundantly clear that DLSS 3 only shines from a visual standpoint at high frame rates.

"

With DLSS 3, the GPU uses AI to generate (up to) 75% of the pixels in a frame, and then it generates 100% of the in-between frames.  So, between two frames, only 12.5% of the pixels might be "rendered" and the rest are "guessed" by the AI engine.  So, it's no surprise that some weird artifacting can happen (especially in high-motion high-detail scenarios).

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty awesome that this is technically possible to achieve realtime and I'm sure the algorithms will improve to deal with situations where you see artifacting like this.  I sort of envision that in a decade or so, "most" pixels in "most" games will be AI-generated rather than directly rendered and things look just fine.

53 minutes ago, Hertzian56 said:

Honestly sometimes think grab a gtx 1080, use FSR good to go for years, defer dealing with the Nvidia scammers for as long as possible. Thousands of great games already here anyways how much time can you play? Never get through all of the current games. If I had one just skip RT until there's a real breakthrough ie RT with sensible power reqs and prices.

And yeah, NVIDIA would really love to push people to buy their latest super-high-cost GPUs...  But if you don't care about the latest and greatest in graphical fidelity, you can still play (almost?) all of the latest games, without ray tracing, on a GeForce GTX 1080 (1080p with, depending on the title, "medium" or "high" settings but probably not "ultra" or whatever), and probably most even run on a GeForce GTX 980 (1080p low settings or 720p with medium/high).

I've found that as I get older, I care less about chasing the best graphics and I'm good as long as I can find a configuration for a game that gets a consistent 60 FPS.  I guess part of it is that I'm just used to what games used to be like, and I think lots of modern games look pretty great by comparison even at "medium" settings.  I feel like we're hitting a point of diminishing returns, and a lot of GPU power is just given to "effects" which are in many cases actually hard to notice while you're actually playing.

I've also sort of stopped trying to run games in 4K (on my 17" laptop), because I can't really tell the difference between 1440p and 4K at that screen size, and running at 1440p instead of 4K cuts the GPU load about in half (if DLSS is not in play).  ...I do play a lot of more obscure / indie titles where DLSS is less likely to be supported.

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi