NotebookTalk

The Random Thread

Yotsuko

It wouldn't be NBR without a random thread.  Enjoy this picture of my cat, Truffles.

IMG_0234.jpg

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Mobile Tech: Apple MacBook Pro (16-inch, M1 Pro, Late 2021) | Apple iPad Pro (11-inch, Cellular (AT&T), 2020) | Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max | Samsung Galaxy Z Flip | Apple Watch SE
Portable Gaming: New Nintendo 3DS XL | Nintendo DSi LL
Automotive: 2010 Honda Accord EX-L with Navigation (2.4L) | 1992 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado (Crate 305)

In/around the Fort Worth, Texas area now. Definitely iced in, my work closed early yesterday and entirely today. Waiting to hear about tomorrow. Must have passed two dozen wrecks on my way home yesterday, glad my one-wheel peel Pontiac Vibe had enough traction to clear the bridges. Thankfully no power outages yet and stil have working internet.

• Bump 1

PowerSpec 1720 (PB70EF-G) | i7-8750H | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | RTX 2070 8GB 115W | 144Hz G-SYNC 

Spoiler

-163 mV core & cache | 15-18-18-36 1T @ 1.35V | 1905MHz @ .975mV & 1950MHz GDDR6
Disabled: TVB, VMX Stress, RDB, HDC
Tuned with: ThrottleStop, MSi Afterburner | TIM: SYY 157

wltgj7-2.png

Insyde H2OUVE BIOS Unlock | CB R20 - 3172 | CB R23 - 8164/1105 | CPU Prof. Max - 4702

After nearly two years, (March 23 would be exactly two years), I'm finally going back to my office.  Monday will be my first day back.  After waking up between 8 and 9 every day for the last two years, going back to waking up at 6:30 is going to be rough.

• Sad 1
Mobile Tech: Apple MacBook Pro (16-inch, M1 Pro, Late 2021) | Apple iPad Pro (11-inch, Cellular (AT&T), 2020) | Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max | Samsung Galaxy Z Flip | Apple Watch SE
Automotive: 2010 Honda Accord EX-L with Navigation (2.4L) | 1992 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado (Crate 305)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 6:09 PM, Yotsuko said:

After nearly two years, (March 23 would be exactly two years), I'm finally going back to my office.  Monday will be my first day back.  After waking up between 8 and 9 every day for the last two years, going back to waking up at 6:30 is going to be rough.

Tell me about it, Wednesday will be my first day back after almost exactly 2 years as well. There will be discussion with the team about how may days a week we want to work in-office. I hope the end result will be 0 🙂

2010 Dell Inspiron 1564 [retired]
2016 Dell XPS15 9550 [work]
2019 Thinkpad X390 [daily]

IMO it's completely silly to force employees all of a sudden to go back to the office full time. Granted not applicable for every company but most proved they can function well, even more efficiently with employees working happily from their homes.

Just think of how much commute time is saved and to be honest, I find sometimes I'm working even more from home than I would if I'd have to go to the office.

1 hour ago, cucubits said:

IMO it's completely silly to force employees all of a sudden to go back to the office full time. Granted not applicable for every company but most proved they can function well, even more efficiently with employees working happily from their homes.

Just think of how much commute time is saved and to be honest, I find sometimes I'm working even more from home than I would if I'd have to go to the office.

I'm not going to lie, the amount of work that our team delivers has dropped slightly below the amount we used to do pre-pandemic. That is if management and Jira is to be believed, even though me and my colleagues do feel that we work longer hours. We might be less focused or something like that, but in general my team is doing a good job. We're developers so we can be 100% remote as the past 2 years have proven.

It'd save me 2 hours of commute time each and every day. In reality I don't have the faintest clue why they want us back in office.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

2010 Dell Inspiron 1564 [retired]
2016 Dell XPS15 9550 [work]
2019 Thinkpad X390 [daily]

Walked to the supermarket nearby yesterday, and didn't realize that Sahara Dust is going on over here in Europe (first time experiencing it since moving here), and it just looked like it rained mud on every single car in the area. Lungs are hella sensitive, so the sand (or whatever the hell was in the air here) was irritating my nose and hurting my lungs.

Note to self: don't go out when the air quality is like this. No idea how people weren't wearing respirators outside honestly, but maybe I'm just not used to it.

Kirisame: Custom build

Ryzen 7 5800X

32GB HyperX DDR4-3733 CL18

ASRock Phantom D OC RX 6800XT

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

On 3/14/2022 at 3:39 PM, cucubits said:

Oh, we weren't forced to go back.  I was given the option to return to my office and took it.  To be honest, it's done wonders for my mental state.

• Thumb Up 2

On 3/16/2022 at 2:44 PM, Katja said:

Walked to the supermarket nearby yesterday, and didn't realize that Sahara Dust is going on over here in Europe (first time experiencing it since moving here), and it just looked like it rained mud on every single car in the area. Lungs are hella sensitive, so the sand (or whatever the hell was in the air here) was irritating my nose and hurting my lungs.

Note to self: don't go out when the air quality is like this. No idea how people weren't wearing respirators outside honestly, but maybe I'm just not used to it.

Back in 1999 I was in Kuwait. Anyway on a day off I was sailing in the bay with some new expat friends and a dust storm came in. You could look directly at the sun; it filtered the light that much, was most beautiful colours in the sky. Until the dust reached us :classic_dry:

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

On 3/21/2022 at 5:33 PM, Yotsuko said:

Oh, we weren't forced to go back.  I was given the option to return to my office and took it.  To be honest, it's done wonders for my mental state.

When the lines between home and work are blurred, it tends to lead to less pleasant mental state at home.

its an issue I would personally welcome, but due to the nature of my work. Is not possible, I never stopped commuting to work these past few years.

I guess this depends a lot on the environment you have at work. I had a previous job, many years ago, where I'd work in a large office with about 10 folks and we were getting along great. We'd go to lunch together and genuinely had a good time at work. This was at a large corporation back in Europe.

Here in the US, in the same field, similar large corp, I found it's quite different. I used to go daily to the office here as well up until about 4 years ago but could only really connect with a very small number of people and never got any further. The world of IT here is very different from what's in EU. I found that here I'm much happier and more efficient working from home, on my own terms. I do miss human contact and random social gatherings but given the choice, until I find a different job, I'm staying home.

• Like 1

do you have time to talk about carbonara pasta

because i do. cooking thread incoming?

Kirisame: Custom build

Ryzen 7 5800X

32GB HyperX DDR4-3733 CL18

ASRock Phantom D OC RX 6800XT

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

Ironically it's entertaining to see the lengths that various forms of entertainment will go to to get attention/eyeballs, comically what happened last night at the oscars. Obvious staged event if you notice the smiles. I would never give time to it mind you but it showed up in the news feeds today. It's all just entertainment including sports-entertainment which is just as arranged in many cases as anything else as far as drama especially playoff championships. F1 has had that probably since old bernie and his mindset came about and similar like flavio and ron dennis and definitely frank williams and the rest of them.

• Thumb Up 2

Normal people commit assault and it's straight to jail, fines, probation, loss of rights/freedoms, the whole nine yards. Celebrities do it (even in acted/fake jest) on Live broadcast TV; it's "entertainment" and the talk of the town retweeted millions of times and in general celebrated. Just how the rich and entitled stay rich and entitled. I "like" both actors, but feel the Oscars and other such awards ceremonies are simply ego-driven parades for the mindless masses. Just my take.

• Thumb Up 1

PowerSpec 1720 (PB70EF-G) | i7-8750H | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | RTX 2070 8GB 115W | 144Hz G-SYNC 

Spoiler

-163 mV core & cache | 15-18-18-36 1T @ 1.35V | 1905MHz @ .975mV & 1950MHz GDDR6
Disabled: TVB, VMX Stress, RDB, HDC
Tuned with: ThrottleStop, MSi Afterburner | TIM: SYY 157

wltgj7-2.png

Insyde H2OUVE BIOS Unlock | CB R20 - 3172 | CB R23 - 8164/1105 | CPU Prof. Max - 4702

The fact that there was no police involvement is just more proof that it was understood by everyone involved to be just acting, like on screen😜 Also even in real life I think someone would have to deliberately file an assault charge most of the time, there might be exceptions where the state steps in. Wills so called rant was pretty bad acting and the people behind looking pretty amused was just more proof. I'm not saying they wouldn't continue the drama with some for show slap on the wrist in some way though. Oscars is just a form of self aggrandizement/promotional thing that's become ritual. They get their ushabtis if they're "in" enough lol So much theater lately, taken as real sadly, on a world scale if you know what I mean lol

• Thumb Up 1

3 hours ago, Hertzian56 said:

Ironically it's entertaining to see the lengths that various forms of entertainment will go to to get attention/eyeballs, comically what happened last night at the oscars. Obvious staged event if you notice the smiles. I would never give time to it mind you but it showed up in the news feeds today. It's all just entertainment including sports-entertainment which is just as arranged in many cases as anything else as far as drama especially playoff championships. F1 has had that probably since old bernie and his mindset came about and similar like flavio and ron dennis and definitely frank williams and the rest of them.

I havent watched the Oscars nor any award shows in years because they're mostly the same especially the virtue signaling crap. I didnt know about the slap until i received a notification of a news article about it on my phone. At least the memes of it was pretty funny!

2 hours ago, User said:

Normal people commit assault and it's straight to jail, fines, probation, loss of rights/freedoms, the whole nine yards. Celebrities do it (even in acted/fake jest) on Live broadcast TV; it's "entertainment" and the talk of the town retweeted millions of times and in general celebrated. Just how the rich and entitled stay rich and entitled. I "like" both actors, but feel the Oscars and other such awards ceremonies are simply ego-driven parades for the mindless masses. Just my take.

A certain celebrity killed someone on set and nothing happened to him as of yet.

• Thumb Up 2

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

yeah I think that's the baldwin thing right? Latest in a long line of that in hollywood, just get the book Hollywoood Babylon for more or just search it. Natalie Woods death on a boat out at sea with no repercussions comes to mind. Another weird one is that brandon lee's death on set was never really investigated, mafia thing imo, his dad bruce played a role where he was a famous actor who spoofed his death via blank gun on set to go undercover to get the bad guys. Bruce died mysteriously and I doubt we get even close to the real story, probably mafia thing imo

• Thumb Up 1

il_1140xN.1920873560_jzva.thumb.jpg.751166d9b0c8749cd920b141122ceedf.jpg

Mine is more based around numbers

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 3

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

On 3/28/2022 at 2:10 PM, Hertzian56 said:

Obvious staged event

I thought it was real and for some reason Will just lost it for a sec... but now that you said it, it makes so much more sense. I mean, if it would have been real, there would've been at least some form of duck/block/fight back from Chris Rock. He just took it like it's been rehearsed many times.

• Thumb Up 1

17 minutes ago, cucubits said:

I thought it was real and for some reason Will just lost it for a sec... but now that you said it, it makes so much more sense. I mean, if it would have been real, there would've been at least some form of duck/block/fight back from Chris Rock. He just took it like it's been rehearsed many times.

Its always fun to think of the odd angle on things but as Hollywood's full of narcissism and committing such actions nearly landed him in the same category as Weinstein and Cosby Im inclined to think otherwise. The only good thing to come of this whole thing was Gmod version of the event 🙂

• Thumb Up 2

2 hours ago, cucubits said:

Sadly its not staged and i kinda wish it was because he went from a beloved actor to one of the most hated actors atm. He resigned from the Oscars and they might take away his Oscar and now he supposedly going to rehab. Might be a good thing for him at least he'll be away from his toxic wife.

• Thumb Up 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2