NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

yeah its mostly pointless doing anything different. I personally never run max clocks while gaming, sometimes it helps but 99 percent of the time its too minute to notice. back in the day you could overclock a chip and see 50 percent gains. now you would need LN to see similar results and even then I highly doubt you would attain 50 percent increase with any sort of tweaking or overclocking. ram OCing however can sometimes help quite a bit, as im seeing with the 3060 many people are getting much higher scores with faster ram, more isnt better but the clock speed can play a large role in ocing gpu and cpu....but you all know this though.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

8 hours ago, ryan said:

sounds rad, danger is my middle name! #killing spree

yes im downloading zorin yet again this time im going to check it out, how do i take a screenshot in linux

Use the Printscreen key and it will save it to your "Pictures" folder, or you can download something fancier using one of many free software applications available in the software center included with Zorin. Just search for screenshot or screen capture.

1 hour ago, Clamibot said:

So it appears if you just lock all your cores to the same frequency, 13th and 14th gen CPUs from Intel should not experience the degradation issue we've all been hearing about. Makes sense since you won't be supplying higher voltages to any cores than necessary.

I've never understood single core boost vs all core speeds. With every CPU I've ever owned, I always lock all the cores to the same speed (usually the single core boost speed so all cores operate at that frequency if I'm gaming or working, or at around 2.5-3.5 GHz on battery power). I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to run their CPU this way as you can't truly get max performance unless all cores are running at their maximum frequency. Not only that, having a big rift in clock speed seems like it would cause problems as you'd end up frying certain cores with a much higher voltage than necessary for the speed they're running at. Do newer chips have the ability to supply a per core voltage independent of all others? I'm pretty sure they all still get supplied the same voltage, which is going to be dependent on the highest frequency core.

All the CPUs I've had can run their single core boost speed across all cores at once. Is that uncommon, and thus the reason single core boost exists? To increase performance in lightly threaded workloads on chips that can't handle running that speed on all cores at once? A little disclosure, I don't usually run benchmarks but rather game on that all core frequency across all cores, or run in game benchmarks. Maybe that affects my perceived results?

That is how I have always overclocked and I have no degradation. I also use manual voltage and set a core voltage (VR) limit.  He has more than one video on the topic as it relates to degradation and I think he is spot-on. This is also a better practice for AMD CPUs. Allowing preferred core boosting has always been something I have viewed as stupid, if not harmful. Intel TVB and AMD PBO are stupid IMHO.

• Like 3

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

I downloaded it...just need to find a good tut on how to install it and the basics..need to do it without jumpdrive and I want windows 11 still for some things like AI and some games...really curious how crysis will run on zorin

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

9 minutes ago, ryan said:

I downloaded it...just need to find a good tut on how to install it and the basics..need to do it without jumpdrive and I want windows 11 still for some things like AI and some games...really curious how crysis will run on zorin

If you are going to install it on the same drive as Windows 11 simply shrink the partition  (50% is reasonable) then boot Linux from USB and install it on the free space you created. The setup process in Zorin Linux is step-by-step, plain-language and holds your hand along the way, like a realtime tutorial. Since you know how to install Windows already, chances are you will find this equally simple, if not more simple, to do with no advance preparation. Zorin is designed to be easy for a Linux novice to slip right in with no hassles or rigmarole. That said, they probably still have self-help tutorials on the Zorin support pages for people that are apprehensive.

Choose the option to install proprietary drivers and it will set up your NVIDIA GPU as well as the Intel iGPU/Optimus if your laptop has that.

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

1 hour ago, Clamibot said:

So it appears if you just lock all your cores to the same frequency, 13th and 14th gen CPUs from Intel should not experience the degradation issue we've all been hearing about. Makes sense since you won't be supplying higher voltages to any cores than necessary.

I've never understood single core boost vs all core speeds. With every CPU I've ever owned, I always lock all the cores to the same speed (usually the single core boost speed so all cores operate at that frequency if I'm gaming or working, or at around 2.5-3.5 GHz on battery power). I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to run their CPU this way as you can't truly get max performance unless all cores are running at their maximum frequency. Not only that, having a big rift in clock speed seems like it would cause problems as you'd end up frying certain cores with a much higher voltage than necessary for the speed they're running at. Do newer chips have the ability to supply a per core voltage independent of all others? I'm pretty sure they all still get supplied the same voltage, which is going to be dependent on the highest frequency core.

All the CPUs I've had can run their single core boost speed across all cores at once. Is that uncommon, and thus the reason single core boost exists? To increase performance in lightly threaded workloads on chips that can't handle running that speed on all cores at once? A little disclosure, I don't usually run benchmarks but rather game on that all core frequency across all cores, or run in game benchmarks. Maybe that affects my perceived results?

Bragging rights aka a race to the bottom for single core.

I can't remember the last time I ran any Intel chip at stock/auto defaults D2D. We're talking all the way back to the Celeron 300a I OC'd to 450mhz+ in the late 90s.

The problem was really two fold though. Aggressive/errant MC that allowed core requests of >1.55v and pushing the chips to the ultimate edge.

First "fix" was enforcing Intel limits but that did jack squat for single core VID requests because they were always under 253w/207a but were found sometimes requesting 1.7v+ (!). That's a one way ticket to preferred core degradation.

Current "fix" is to enforce a soft cap of 1..55v. I say soft because motherboards can override it purposely or as we've seen accidentally.

Best fix is as used by many of us before all this is to set a sane all core w/ fixed vcore that is in line with your cooling and power draw expectations and dial in your LLC/AC_LL/DC_LL and might as well tune up your VDD/SA's while you're in there for good measure. No need to use more than you need unless you also run a dialed in auto setting too (I run both).

10th gen can be configured for per core if you want on many boards. I tuned up a few 10900k's to do per core for benching but for D2D it was always all core for simplicity and to stop odd transients on oddly offset core frequency settings and crashes. Some hardcore users want optimal, tuned, stable settings at all steppings and will take the time to validate each and every core's capability and then adjust per core as tight as possible. That's not fun for me. 🙂

And yeah, that's exactly why to boost performance on single/lightly threaded programs and it does show you what it can do potentially on better cooling. Decent silicon, DD/CL and toss in a chiller? Some of these chips are daily'd at 6ghz+ all core.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

7 hours ago, ryan said:

in crysis lol or doom.

You can play them on Linux. I have. Both work fine. Almost anything in your Steam Library should work with Proton Experimental. Enable that in the Steam settings. Install Steam from the Zorin software center as well.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Choose the option to install proprietary drivers and it will set up your NVIDIA GPU as well as the Intel iGPU/Optimus if your laptop has that.

This should be completely hassle-free if you choose it during setup. No fuss, no muss. Linux Updates will keep the most current confirmed-stable NVIDIA drivers installed as well. Updates in Linux generally do not use the public as crash-test dummies like Windows drivers do. If it is not stable it doesn't get approved and doesn't install with updates.

Sometimes there are quirky things with laptops that Linux doesn't support because they are very proprietary and require special software even in Windows. Turdbook fan controls and RGB lighting that only work in Windows with crappy software from the turdbook manufacturer often have no support in Linux. But, they also have no support in Windows except with the bloatware cancer the turdbook manufacturer requires their zombie horde "customers" to install.

• Like 1

haha got me to chuckle about the rgb lights..I tried doing a non usb boot 5min ago, going to grab a usb drive and try again...seems super intuitive with usb..

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

3 minutes ago, ryan said:

man, bro....you can just check it out off the usb drive. im going to try it first for a few weeks and see how I like it then buy the pro version, they claim $5000 in software equivalents.

That's a good idea, but bear in mind that using it from USB will not peform at the same level as a proper install. I don't think you will have full graphics, etc. But, you can certainly get a feel for things other than gaming. There is a way to do a persistent USB installation to allow installation of apps on a permanent basis (never tried it) but anything you download and install otherwise will disappear at reboot when using in USB test mode.

3 hours ago, Clamibot said:

I always thought the two-core boost was really cool! I always use this option every day. On all my chips, 13900K/13900KS/14900K/14900KS. It seems solid with no signs of degradation from using this on LGA1700 or even LGA1200. I am obsessed with CPU stability, real ram stability, and also CPU degradation lol.

I wanted to do a comparison of Auto voltage fixed core 5.9Ghz and also the Auto voltage 5.9-6.2Ghz, just if anyone is curious what it looks like. 

Run #1) 5.9Ghz locked on (8 Cores) Auto voltage DDR5 8600c36.
5.9Ghz Vcore MAX: 1.305V.
5.9Ghz VID MAX: 1.304v.
Load Vcore: 1.217V.
Package temp: 70C.
Idle Power min 16.3 watts
Package power Max R23 single core: 84 Watts.
Package power Max multi-core: 314 Watts.
R23 ST Score: 2,277.
R23 MT Score: 43,377.

5diKYe5.png

Run # 2) 5.9Ghz (8 Cores) 6.2Ghz on (2 Cores) Auto voltage DDR5 8600c36.
6.2Ghz Vcore MAX: 1.403v
6.2Ghz VID MAX: 1.405v.
Idle Power min 15.8 watts
Package power Max R23 single core @6.2Ghz: 90 Watts.
Package power Max multi-core: 313 Watts.
R23 ST Score: 2,395
R23 MT Score: 43,389

HGTiqzF.png

It is important to note, that my best two cores only reach a max voltage of 1.387-1.396V. Since this is the case, I can lock my voltage to this ceiling and during low loads my voltage will never surpass this on any cores, because only the best cores #4 and core #5 are hitting 6.2Ghz. In the above scenarios the voltage is just auto/default.  So, it will kind of go where it wants to on all of the cores, even if only two of them are hitting 6.2Ghz. Fortunately, either setup is full auto, and both run really efficient regardless. We have the same nice low load voltage, only a slightly higher vcore for during 2 core loads when the chips hits 6.2Ghz. One just allows a +300Mhz advantage on two cores. I did not mean to highlight this font like this, it copied the font of the IMG url's I posted. Also, the average voltage seems comparable between the two in my time investigating this. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2
  • Bump 2

13900KF

46 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

I always thought the two-core boost was really cool! I always use this option every day. On all my chips, 13900K/13900KS/14900K/14900KS. It seems solid with no signs of degradation from using this on LGA1700 or even LGA1200. I am obsessed with CPU stability, real ram stability, and also CPU degradation lol.

I wanted to do a comparison of Auto voltage fixed core 5.9Ghz and also the Auto voltage 5.9-6.2Ghz, just if anyone is curious what it looks like. 

Run #1) 5.9Ghz locked on (8 Cores) Auto voltage DDR5 8600c36.
5.9Ghz Vcore MAX: 1.305V.
5.9Ghz VID MAX: 1.304v.
Idle Power min 16.3 watts
Package power Max R23 single core: 84 Watts.
Package power Max multi-core: 314 Watts.
R23 ST Score: 2,277.
R23 MT Score: 43,377.

5diKYe5.png

Run # 2) 5.9Ghz (8 Cores) 6.2Ghz on (2 Cores) Auto voltage DDR5 8600c36.
6.2Ghz Vcore MAX: 1.403v
6.2Ghz VID MAX: 1.405v.
Idle Power min 15.8 watts
Package power Max R23 single core @6.2Ghz: 90 Watts.
Package power Max multi-core: 313 Watts.
R23 ST Score: 2,395
R23 MT Score: 43,389

HGTiqzF.png

It is important to note, that my best two cores only reach a max voltage of 1.387-1.396V. Since this is the case, I can lock my voltage to this ceiling and during low loads my voltage will never surpass this on any cores, because only the best cores #4 and core #5 are hitting 6.2Ghz. In the above scenarios the voltage is just auto/default.  So, it will kind of go where it wants to on all of the cores, even if only two of them are hitting 6.2Ghz. Fortunately, either setup is full auto, and both run really efficient regardless. We have the same nice low load voltage, only a slightly higher vcore for during 2 core loads when the chips hits 6.2Ghz. One just allows a +300Mhz advantage on two cores. I did not mean to highlight this font like this, it copied the font of the IMG url's I posted. Also, the average voltage seems comparable between the two in my time investigating this. 

Looks good! 🙂

For core boosting  on my pure auto profile, that looks just about right. My 6.2 boost in CB23 is ~1.392 max load so 1.405 and 1.387-1.396v range is spot on. Temps aren't the problem here. Scores are 2377-2392 so right in line.

Asrock reports 6.2 V/F at 1.484 for my SP109.

I keep it at 253w/400a limits so it power throttles and scores about 39k-40k multi but your setup will probably do much better since I think our 5.9 V/Fs are the same (1.378v). If I let it fly unhindered power wise in CB23, my AIO gives up the ghost. 🙂

This 5.9 all core auto profile pretty much covers every game including all UE5 shader games except Wukong. That thing is a monster for my setup.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

First time on linux.  Did a few things already, changed resolution to 4k/120, installed nvidia drivers, changed background. hearts pumping this is what iv'e wanted for 20 years and I finally checked it out. I actually made it a main boot OS as I have starting to get aggravated with windoze 11. Im officially either done with desktops/laptops or sticking with linux. I don't think ill ever go back to windows again. 4tb of holy grail.

Big thanks @Mr. Foxand @Clamibot, and if eternal was here, him to as he preached about it also

just ran a speedtest as that gives a good idea on systems network health

before 900-1300

now with linux

Screenshot-from-2024-09-07-04-04-28.png

cpu in balanced scores the same as overclocked in windows 10

Screenshot-from-2024-09-07-04-48-58.png

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

44 minutes ago, ryan said:

@Papusan bro I have no idea how all this works..just wondering what I can do about stutters, mouse is lagging like my cpu is at 100c and grid ran like poop at 4k

Both PANJNO and FR33THY have a few good optimization guides.  

Mouse Optimization GUIDE for Gaming - 100% Mouse... /Panjno

Edit:  1:49:00 Mouse Optimizations - FR33THY

• Like 3

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

I botched my install by changing to defective nvidia drivers, have to start over...linux doesn't seem to play well with a 4k tv and 120hz through a 3060. unless its me, probably me. I can see why people like linux, reminds me of dos/windows7/and some chrome elements. very efficient OS. im going to take a break from it today as I dont need to troubleshoot as i pulled an allnighter with the new zorin

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

2,000 hours on my OLED now. I wish I could capture its actual picture quality. But YouTube kind of reduces how it really looks. 

When you play the video below, adjust it to 1080P, and keep it small. I think that’s pretty close to how it looks. 

• Like 2

13900KF

50 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

2,000 hours on my OLED now. I wish I could capture its actual picture quality. But YouTube kind of reduces how it really looks. 

When you play the video below, adjust it to 1080P, and keep it small. I think that’s pretty close to how it looks. 

Game changer.

This 32" Alienware OLED 4k display is just so beautiful especially with HDR enabled. I couldn't go back if I wanted at this point. My wife's Samsung 1440p IPS display looks so dull now. I asked her if she wanted an OLED... "I'm fine. I don't care about that stuff." 🤣

I have a ~5yr old 65" Sony FALD ZF9 and I do love it, but my next display might have to be a 70" OLED.

• Thumb Up 1

I have to put in a plug for Thermal Grizzly. I purchased the Mycro LGA-1700 Direct Die block and it performed poorly compared to the IceMan Cooling block. I emailed them and asked for an RMA, provided the before/after temperature comparisons. They did not do an RMA, just apologized and issued a refund. 

Fast forward a few months, they contacted me, totally out of the blue, and offered to send me the updated product. I didn't ask for it. I replied and accepted and they sent it. Works great. Essentially the same thermal performance as the IceMan block. I like the design of the cold plate better. It has a rim around the die to contact the PCB, which adds support and spreads out the compression of the PCB into the socket instead of the die being the only point of contact. And, it makes a dam to keep the liquid metal confined to the die area.

TG-Customer-Service.png

These results are without the chiller, in my hot (79°F) office.

Mycro-Pro-01.jpg 
Mycro-Pro-02.jpg
stabilitytest.png
stabilitytest2.png

More extended stress test...
stabilitytest3.jpg

Cinebench.jpg

• Like 1
  • Bump 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

I have to put in a plug for Thermal Grizzly.

Which one?

• Thumb Up 2

zorin default wallpapers look really nice on my OLED the drivers seem to have default settings and on windows it was doing something that made the colors flat, always had to adjust. I just have a LG OLED it really is a game changer having oled. welp I reinstalled zorin its working ok, going to fiddle a bit but so far im in love its just great

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

5 minutes ago, electrosoft said:

Which one?

See edited post above...

• Like 1

Who would thought AMD would become the price inflator and Intel the cheaper option a few years ago. But as we know.... AMD changed how they priced their Ryzen chips with 5950X. Yup, close to $800 for an mainstream Cpu. Never seen this awful price point in recent years. Maybe AMD looking at themself and think they are the premium brand now. Oh'well. Something to think about... The higher you rise, the harder you fall🙂

If this pricing is close to be correct then we can see Intel try to keep the prices below the inflation. That's good. AMDs mainstream flagship was released with an MSRP at $649 a couple of months ago... So AMD clearly want to be the premium brand to go with🤢  

bas.png

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/cpus/intel-core-ultra-200k-cpu-pricing-exposed-by-overseas-retailer-arrow-lake-priced-up-to-8-higher-than-raptor-lake-refresh

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

Linux has several advantages over Windows

• Open Source: Linux is open-source, allowing users to modify, study, or redistribute its source code.
  • Security: Linux is considered more secure due to its architecture.
  • Stability: Linux is known for its stability and reliability.
  • Customization: Linux is highly customizable.
  • Performance: Linux runs faster and is more responsive than Windows.

open source is such a great option, had no idea it was safer than windows, feels like hackers paradise. having issues with gaming drivers but I take it its not for gaming much like chrome OS. faster, I can agree but at 4k im having issues, currently running 1440p

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

1 hour ago, ryan said:

@Mr. Fox bro. this is incredible. I booted x11 and my mouse lag/screen tearing/game performance is fixed. booted up my favorite racing game grid autosport ran the benchmark and had a low of 67 and average of 87 on ultra 4k. it was incredible, this is the first time in 11 years iv'e seen the game run flawless with 0 skipped frames and no dips below 60fps. LINUS and HWUB need to encourage more people to get on linux, I had no idea. I shrugged off the notion of linux for 15 -20 years, and I thought I don't feel like programming for free, but its actually quite satisfying knowing what gets installed and using dos command brings back memories to a time I was less handicapped.

Alot of quirks with linux but a quick google search and its as easy as getting water at a lake. Im not sure what else I can do but it literally feels like I just got a new PC to play with.

just ran shadow of the tomb raider got 37fps average highest settings 4k with zorin...installing on windoze right now too see how they compare, one things for sure I get less glitches, in windows textures were not loading and for the life of me nothing would fix the issue, this time i just booted game and am getting really good image quality along with good performance

37 vs 46fps. its slightly slower but I can live with that as when i close the game im greeted with the marilyn monroe of OSs. fast, im liking it alot. downloaded wifite for starters

I am happy you've discovered it is awesome. It is hard to convince people to try something new when they are comfortable with something they are used to. It's not perfect,  but neither is Windoze. I think it is a much better OS than Winduhz. I would not be surprised if once you break through the apprehension stage you'll start to enjoy the geeky side of Linux. Using a Linux terminal (or Windows command prompt) just feels good.

• Like 1

yes im half frustrated not knowing a thing but its satisfying when it works, having issues with wine and cinebenchr23 but ill figure it out I think it has something to do with user permissions or using x11 over wayland.

ill try not to bug you about  this as their is alot of resources online and this thread isnt about it. but are their any cpu benching apps that are good for linux...curious how my system performs on linux vs windose as ive always had issues with windows and my cpu.

• Thumb Up 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

9 hours ago, electrosoft said:

Game changer.

This 32" Alienware OLED 4k display is just so beautiful especially with HDR enabled. I couldn't go back if I wanted at this point. My wife's Samsung 1440p IPS display looks so dull now. I asked her if she wanted an OLED... "I'm fine. I don't care about that stuff." 🤣

I have a ~5yr old 65" Sony FALD ZF9 and I do love it, but my next display might have to be a 70" OLED.

Thats so cool. I’m all in for OLED. This monitor has held up just so dang well. I plan to go another 2K hours on it (Lots of people on YouTube with like 7-8K hours on their LG OLED TV’s with no issues) I was absolutely worried about OLED before getting it, but I have become confident in the technology, we too will probably be buying a LG OLED TV for the new house and not thinking twice about it. The picture quality gets rid of all of the things I hated about LCD panels, TN had washed out faded colors, lacking viewing angles, IPS was always glowing with light bleed, neither one can show the color black lol. The PC market is now full with plenty of awesome OLED monitors. 

• Thumb Up 1

13900KF

11 minutes ago, ryan said:

yes im half frustrated not knowing a thing but its satisfying when it works, having issues with wine and cinebenchr23 but ill figure it out I think it has something to do with user permissions or using x11 over wayland.

ill try not to bug you about  this as their is alot of resources online and this thread isnt about it. but are their any cpu benching apps that are good for linux...curious how my system performs on linux vs windose as ive always had issues with windows and my cpu.

WINE is kind of antiquated and using it as a standalone is more difficult and it has less support. I would recommend using Lutris as the front end/GUI for it. I found that to be more forgiving. I suspect you will find more tutorials for Lutris. That is what I use for Cinebench. 

• Thumb Up 1