NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

1 hour ago, electrosoft said:

Incoming new retention frames because this is an even more extreme rectangle.

There will always be ways to delid even if you have to vice grip + heat gun and manually top/side lift the IHS off but it isn't mass market reproduce-able. Intel isn't trying to make it easier to delid their CPUs so cap placement isn't their concern. 😞

You can only hope Intel will solder on thinner sTIM and continue thin down the die thickness. That will help a lot on high temps. And regarding more rectangle IHS. This is good news for those companies that make and sell the needed contact frames😀 But with loads of caps around the PCB on both sides of the IHS some will loose money. I expect etc EK have to reevaluate their focus on making and sell (flawed) direct die kits. Maybe we will see an end on the EK direct die tragedy after Raptor Refresh.

• Thumb Up 2

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

Well, got the AM4 system set back up on another monitor, all seems to be working as expected with the 2700x @ 4.1 Ghz, still running on the stock BIOS as well but I have the latest on a flash drive which ill update tonight or tomorrow morning.

Still trying to get used to benchmarking games, spending more time with MSI Afterburner to see how that all works for games that dont have built-in benchmarks.

Well hopefully tomorrow I can get a decent amount of work in 🙂

• Thumb Up 5
  • Bump 1

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8200 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

14 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

That's good. Glad they did that. As long as everything remains consistent in the testing, the other conditions are not that important if the intent is to compare them to one another. I took a similar approach to try to replicate the miserable state of tuning that would be likely on the average gamer noob setup. 

My office is seldom that cool. I wish I could keep it at 23°C or lower, but it is nearly impossible to get it that cool in the summer months. Usually 25-26°C (78-80°F) is about is cool as I can get it with the AC set to 69-70°F. I need to do something like add a booster fan in my central AC duct or something because the rest of the house stays nice and cool. Even in the dead of winter it is difficult to get it down to 69-70°F (20-21°C).

I think the main take-away from my cooler testing was confirmation of what all of us already knew. If you're using ambient cooling for air or water, you will never be able to be cooler than the environment, even with a zero degree delta. The fact that the EK AIO and my custom loop had nearly identical temperatures was a direct reflection of that law of physics.

Hate to jump into this peer review of your EK AIO test, but the only way the AIO would come close to the performance of your gigantic custom loop with external radiator and a dozen+ fans, is if 3 conditions were met:

1. The cold plate on the EK performed similarly to whatever state of the art water block you pitted it against - OK, I guess that’s plausible.

2. The water inflow into the AIO head had the same temperature under extended load as the water coming into the block from your gigaloop. I would say this is strictly impossible in normal conditions where the AIO rad is mounted in the case and sucking in warm air from the inside, although this effect would not be present in an open bench. The main conclusion here would be that you tested on an open bench, which would be a less realistic AIO test, but even then it would also be surprising to see that your gigantic rad makes no difference vs a single 360 unit.

3. Even if somehow the coolant temperatures entering the block/head were equal, there would be the question of flow rate. IIRC the EK AIO uses a 3200RPM pump, whereas I would presume your setup involves 2+ 4000RPM pumps, so this would suggest an additional delta in favour of your custom loop.

Best case scenario here is that we are effectively saying: a custom loop, with huge external radiators, massive coolant volume, multiple pumps etc. - all that is a waste of space, time and money: people can just grab an EK AIO and get the same end result. To say this is a surprising message coming from @Mr. Fox would be an understatement.

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

Has anyone ever done this? Man what a total brain fart! Submitting to the Bot like this 🤣

3d mark 11 EX.jpg

• Thumb Up 2

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

5 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Hate to jump into this peer review of your EK AIO test, but the only way the AIO would come close to the performance of your gigantic custom loop with external radiator and a dozen+ fans, is if 3 conditions were met:

1. The cold plate on the EK performed similarly to whatever state of the art water block you pitted it against - OK, I guess that’s plausible.

2. The water inflow into the AIO head had the same temperature under extended load as the water coming into the block from your gigaloop. I would say this is strictly impossible in normal conditions where the AIO rad is mounted in the case and sucking in warm air from the inside, although this effect would not be present in an open bench. The main conclusion here would be that you tested on an open bench, which would be a less realistic AIO test, but even then it would also be surprising to see that your gigantic rad makes no difference vs a single 360 unit.

3. Even if somehow the coolant temperatures entering the block/head were equal, there would be the question of flow rate. IIRC the EK AIO uses a 3200RPM pump, whereas I would presume your setup involves 2+ 4000RPM pumps, so this would suggest an additional delta in favour of your custom loop.

Best case scenario here is that we are effectively saying: a custom loop, with huge external radiators, massive coolant volume, multiple pumps etc. - all that is a waste of space, time and money: people can just grab an EK AIO and get the same end result. To say this is a surprising message coming from @Mr. Fox would be an understatement.

From Mr. Fox's review:

"It is an excellent option for anyone that doesn’t need to liquid cool their graphics card and memory. At this point, I would consider a custom loop for cooling only a CPU to be frivolous expense for most purposes when there is an AIO that works as well as the EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Dark."

The main advantage of a custom loop is to add additional heat producing components. A really good to great AIO CPU cooler can match a custom watercooled CPU loop when coolant temps normalize, yes even with a MO-RA3 rad. It just takes longer to heat soak the custom loop with a MO-RA3 rad. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Connecticut Citizens Defense League: Carry On!

21 minutes ago, Rage Set said:

From Mr. Fox's review:

"It is an excellent option for anyone that doesn’t need to liquid cool their graphics card and memory. At this point, I would consider a custom loop for cooling only a CPU to be frivolous expense for most purposes when there is an AIO that works as well as the EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Dark."

Thanks, I missed that - again, looks like a risky statement, and applies to the open bench setup at best. Looking at the specs, I don't believe this EK AIO would be a significant improvement over my DeepCool LT/S720, and there is certainly room for improvement in terms of the cooling the latter can provide. I would be hugely surprised if a large external rad would not have made a significant difference. Also, wouldn't it be fair to say that virtually no one buys either an AIO or a custom loop to cool the CPU only?

21 minutes ago, Rage Set said:

The main advantage of a custom loop is to add additional heat producing components. A really good to great AIO CPU cooler can match a custom watercooled CPU loop when coolant temps normalize, yes even with a MO-RA3 rad. It just takes longer to heat soak the custom loop with a MO-RA3 rad. 

Again, I would expect there to be a significant difference between setups with internal and external rads. 

What do you mean by normalize? Given the same load, shouldn't the coolant temp in a loop containing MO-RA3 rad be significantly lower given that it can exchange much more heat (roughly 3x) than a single 360 AIO rad? It's a rhetorical question in the context of a typical PC build setup, but should even be the case in an open bench - the question then would be: how much cooler is the coolant in the custom loop? Guess not super easy to accurately measure, other than by looking at rad or tubing temps, all I can say right now is that the coolant tubes on my AIO are warm to the touch, nowhere near ambient, I would ballpark it at 15C+ above - surely a huge external rad would bring that down quite a bit? Ca. 3x the exchange area + ambient airflow.

Put another way: assuming the open bench scenario to normalize the airflow temps between a MO-RA3 and an AIO, would you expect a good AIO and a custom loop attached to the CPU only to achieve the same coolant temp which is very close to ambient? Doesn't matter if the custom loop has just a single 360 rad or something like MO-RA3? I think if we had this data (even external tubing temp as a proxy), things would have been much clearer.

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

8 hours ago, Etern4l said:

I think you might be jumping to conclusions and assuming too much. That's a common problem with readers of product reviews and we are all guilty of it to some degree, myself included. The testing isn't complicated and the more complicated you make it the less accurate the results will be, and the easier it will be to confuse yourself and anyone reading the review.

It's actually very simple. The water can never be colder than the ambient temperature unless you use an artificial means like a water cooler. If the transfer of heat from the CPU to the water is roughly equal and the water carries the heat away at an equal rate then you're going to see the same result as long as the coolant temperatures are equal. It's that simple. Pump speed and flow rate matter, but they only need to be adequate to accomplish the purpose of carrying the heat away in the water. At a certain point increasing either one does nothing to change the outcome. I think it's even possible that increasing the flow rate too much might even slightly hinder the results, but certainly won't help if the flow rate is enough to remove the heat from the CPU cold plate at the same rate. The outcome is changed by how effectively the heat exchanger (radiator) removes the heat from the water to equalize it with the ambient temperature. It's also possible for the flow rate to be so high that the water doesn't remain in the radiator long enough to be cooled as effectively. When everything is working efficiently and effectively the difference in temperature of the CPU resides largely in the temperature of the water. Being bigger and more expensive and more complex doesn't help if the water is not cooler.

What my testing didn't show, and did not need to show, is how much faster the water temperature would increase in an AIO with such a tiny amount of water in it. That's why my stress test was limited to 5 minutes. Had I run it for 15 to 30 minutes the scales probably would have been heavily tilted in favor of the custom loop that holds probably 10 times as much water and has roughly 300% more heat dissipating surface area to prevent the water from heating up. The intent of the review was to show the function and performance of the AIO, not highlight how an AIO is inferior to a large custom loop with much higher coolant capacity and flow rate.

That's also why I tested it on the open bench and not inside of an enclosed case. Testing it on the open bench helps normalized the results. Testing inside of a closed case would produce more erroneous results that would vary widely from one system to the next depending upon the case. The open bench tests the cooler, not the case. This is a common and accepted testing methodology among people doing product reviews. You don't want something like a case being a wild card to skew results. The only way testing inside of a case would be reliable is if everyone purchasing the product uses the same case and the same fans, runs the fans at the same speed, in the same environment.

The other element that your statement doesn't take into account is that if you're only going to cool a CPU and you have a really nice, cool working environment with pleasant ambient temperatures a good AIO that can minimize or prevent the water from growing warmer during use then it's probably enough to get by. If you're going to add a GPU and/or memory into the loop the AIO is not even an option. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8200 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

47 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

It's actually very simple. The water can never be colder than the ambient temperature unless you use an artificial means like a water cooler. If the transfer of heat from the CPU to the water is roughly equal and the water carries the heat away at an equal rate then you're going to see the same result as long as the coolant temperatures are equal. It's that simple. Pump speed and flow rate matter, but they only need to be adequate to accomplish the purpose of carrying the heat away in the water

Yep, pump speed still matters. But not the very best pump can make the jet plate/cold plate better. And many of the new AIOs have cold plate that match the IHS curvator perfectly. A fully flat custom cooling WB coldplate won't be perfect with an untouched IHS. A pump right above the cold plate for the AIOs also help regarding keep up water pressure/flow rate where it matters.

See also.... Something to note btw, the Galahad II Trinity Performance was initially tested not knowing I didn’t have the pump RPMs turned up. They run at 4202 RPM when cranked up. Turning that down, even with the fan speeds at 100% made a 3-degree difference in most of our tests and for the CPU wattage test was the difference between 317 watts and 323. The 317 is still well ahead of anything else tested but it is surprising how much of a difference the pump speed from 3000 RPM to 4200 RPM made.

And back to bling bling.... Purple colors won't help, LOOL 

Who want such fancy colors on a clean black/greyish GPU? This is just ugly. 

r/cablemod - Burned 12VHPWR 90 Degree Angled Adapter - Variant A (ROG Strix 4090)

• Thumb Up 3
  • Bump 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

21 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Yep, pump speed still matters. But not the very best pump can make the jet plate/cold plate better. And many of the new AIOs have cold plate that match the IHS curvator perfectly. A fully flat custom cooling WB coldplate won't be perfect with an untouched IHS. A pump right above the cold plate for the AIOs also help regarding keep up water pressure/flow rate where it matters.

See also.... Something to note btw, the Galahad II Trinity Performance was initially tested not knowing I didn’t have the pump RPMs turned up. They run at 4202 RPM when cranked up. Turning that down, even with the fan speeds at 100% made a 3-degree difference in most of our tests and for the CPU wattage test was the difference between 317 watts and 323. The 317 is still well ahead of anything else tested but it is surprising how much of a difference the pump speed from 3000 RPM to 4200 RPM made.

Correct. You're exactly right. Everything matters. Fit of the cold plate, design of the cold plate, the TIM, water moving through the jet plate fast enough, but not too fast, or with excessive turbulence, and the ability of the radiator to pull the water temperature down as close to ambient as possible. If you get one of those things right and miss the mark elsewhere, results will be diminished compared to what they would be if everything worked together for an optimal outcome. And, if everything works as optimally as possible then you're still limited by ambient temperatures. It is all very simple to understand, and the science is very simple, but the execution sometimes isn't great. If you're running your PC in a hot environment, even with a perfect cooling system, you're going to have a sucky experience in terms of thermals. It is easy to get sidetracked by some specs as well. We would all choose higher speed when making a selection. But, pump speed doesn't actually guarantee flow rate just as fan speed doesn't guarantee CFM or static pressure. The destination matters more than the journey and the outcome more than process.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

On 8/12/2023 at 6:43 PM, Papusan said:

Great review as always bro Fox. Good job🙂 But look at this one below.... If you say the EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 DARK is close to custom cooling... Then look at this new fancy AIO from Lian li. 5C lower temp vs the EK AIO you reviewed under max load is quite good. I haven't taken account the noise level. Just the pure cooling performance. So this looks quite good. But I expect it will fall back vs an good custom cooling with loads north of 400W.

Conclusion:

I had expected the Galahad II’s performance to be, at best, a 1-2C improvement over it’s competitors. When I first measured these results, I literally couldn’t believe my eyes; a 9% improvement in cooling dissipation is practically unheard of in this market. 

YGpnYTBpdq6moLeJu5a9UR.png

Lian Li Galahad II Performance Review: A New Level of Liquid Cooling Excellence

The strongest AIO we’ve ever tested, at a reasonable price

shame they didnt include the arctic freezer II in their testing. at 38 mm thickness, thicker than normal tubings and higher overall coolant volume, theyre very competitive. only weak spot with their relatively low RPM fans (very quiet though, good normalized noise performance and very good price / perf. ratio) can be fixed easily, i.e. with a push/pull config with 6x 3000 rpm Noctua fans (as i did in my setup 😛 )

On 8/12/2023 at 7:59 PM, Papusan said:

This in bolded text above doesn't matter.

I hope they test the diffeent coolers at around same ambient. And the new Lian li cooler crushed the others (included the new EK Nucleus CR360 AIO). See... I don't compare with your review. This is within tests from Tomshardware'. 5C colder is massive gain with an AIO vs others as etc the EK Nucleus.

-------------_________________________________________________________________________________

Look at this.... Intel may going retarded. So they don't want that the Pc enhusiasts can reduce CPU temps anymore? Do they really hate delidding this much? Soon you can't touch the IHS before one of the caps scrap of the PCB. Why use caps all around the whole PCB? Stupid's!!!!!

retard

https://wccftech.com/alleged-intel-meteor-lake-s-lga-1851-desktop-cpu-pictured-in-the-wild/

On 8/13/2023 at 2:14 AM, electrosoft said:

Incoming new retention frames because this is an even more extreme rectangle.

There will always be ways to delid even if you have to vice grip + heat gun and manually top/side lift the IHS off but it isn't mass market reproduce-able. Intel isn't trying to make it easier to delid their CPUs so cap placement isn't their concern. 😞

as Fox and electrosoft mentioned, not worried on that front. the commuity will always find new creative ways to delid 😄:

• Thumb Up 5
  • Haha 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

5 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

It's actually very simple. The water can never be colder than the ambient temperature unless you use an artificial means like a water cooler. If the transfer of heat from the CPU to the water is roughly equal and the water carries the heat away at an equal rate then you're going to see the same result as long as the coolant temperatures are equal.

(...)

The outcome is changed by how effectively the heat exchanger (radiator) removes the heat from the water to equalize it with the ambient temperature.

Not particularly simple. There are quite a few variables, and there isn't an easy formula we could use - would need to solve a potentially hairy system of differential equations to completely model the thermodynamics here.

As you noted, delta T of the coolant temperature is a function of time since the start of test, but a host of other variables are also involved in determining the coolant temp (which won't reach ambient under load, certainly not in an AIO):

1. Coolant volume - will affect the rate of change, but possibly the equilibrium state as well.

2. Pump speed - interesting point about faster not being better (contradicts the simplicity claim BTW). Would be good to see some supporting data. 

3. The effective heat dissipation capacity of the heat exchanger (radiator(s) + fans)  - difficult to quantify, since this itself depends on other variables such as T_coolant - T_air and as such it's not constant,

4. All the other factors mentioned earlier (coldplate/block design, TIM etc.)

Here is an interesting test where someone looked just on the radiator/fan side of things:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/282708-what-is-the-maximum-heat-dissipation-of-a-360mm-radiator/

A fairly detailed open bench like test and determined that the coolant dT (presumably at equilibrium) with 300W load is about 10C. Also interesting to see that water temps in and out are very close, so it's not clear how a fast pump could adversely affect performance.

What my testing didn't show, and did not need to show, is how much faster the water temperature would increase in an AIO with such a tiny amount of water in it. That's why my stress test was limited to 5 minutes. Had I run it for 15 to 30 minutes the scales probably would have been heavily tilted in favor of the custom loop that holds probably 10 times as much water and has roughly 300% more heat dissipating surface area to prevent the water from heating up. The intent of the review was to show the function and performance of the AIO, not highlight how an AIO is inferior to a large custom loop with much higher coolant capacity and flow rate.

Two problems with this:

1. The testing period of 5 min doesn't really correspond to any real life usage scenario - I mean who uses their computer for 5 minutes? it's not a mobile phone. IMHO it would have been much more informative to run the test to equilibrium (and present the results as a plot in the time domain). The custom loop would then serve as a reference point for AIO manufacturers to aspire to :)

2. Yet the conclusion refers to some sort of equivalence between custom loop and AIO, which could unfortunately be misleading

That's also why I tested it on the open bench and not inside of an enclosed case. Testing it on the open bench helps normalized the results.

That's fine and clear, as long as people understand that the results won't necessarily reflect the AIO performance when mounted inside a case. Fair to assume there will be some readers who will gain that understanding the hard way - that's OK too, part of the hobby :)

3 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

shame they didnt include the arctic freezer II in their testing. at 38 mm thickness, thicker than normal tubings and higher overall coolant volume, theyre very competitive. only weak spot with their relatively low RPM fans (very quiet though, good normalized noise performance and very good price / perf. ratio) can be fixed easily, i.e. with a push/pull config with 6x 3000 rpm Noctua fans (as i did in my setup 😛 )

That thick rad is what makes that AIO work. The pump is not the fastest though, only 2000 RPM with no separate PWM control. The coldplate is also on the small side. I put mine back in the box as not being able to see the pump speed drove me nuts. That said, I think it does/did an OK job, and that VRM fan was probably helpful. 

• Thumb Up 3

-- Max Tegmark

14 hours ago, Etern4l said:

1. The testing period of 5 min doesn't really correspond to any real life usage scenario - I mean who uses their computer for 5 minutes? it's not a mobile phone. IMHO it would have been much more informative to run the test to equilibrium (and present the results as a plot in the time domain). The custom loop would then serve as a reference point for AIO manufacturers to aspire to 🙂

100% load at over 300W sustained for 5 minutes is more severe than real-world testing. Most workloads, and especially on a "gaming PC" scenario, do not come anywhere close to that. This is also why stressing a CPU for hours is kind of stupid and pointless. All one is accomplishing in doing so is potential fatigue of the silicon. It is neither helping nor proving anything.

14 hours ago, Etern4l said:

That's fine and clear, as long as people understand that the results won't necessarily reflect the AIO performance when mounted inside a case. Fair to assume there will be some readers who will gain that understanding the hard way - that's OK too, part of the hobby 🙂

Demonstrating the thermal qualities of one particular case and fan configuration is outside the scope of testing a cooling solution and would merely convolute the results, especially comparing against an external radiator. That would be useful to demonstrate the superiority of an open bench or external radiator, but not a useful test otherwise. It might be more relevant inside of a case with a custom loop and 360mm radiator of similar dimensions. Again, this was a test of the AIO and not an opportunity to showcase the benefit of a custom loop and open bench instead of an AIO. The more relevant data was the comparison of the air cooler to the AIO. That is where the real world benefit would be most easily relatable and recognized by the average gamerboy.

• Thumb Up 2

Good Evening ladies and gents!

Collecting data is annoying, have a bit more respect for the people that do this sort of thing as a living.

Anyways, I have been able to collect some "benchmarks" for the following

Ace Combat 7

Cyberpunk 2077

Generation Zero

God of War

GTFO

Horizon Zero Dawn

Project Wingman

Returnal

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Tekken 7

Probably going to get data for:

Tomb Raider

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Sons of the Forest

Valkyria Chronicles 4

ICEY

Dragon Quest XI

Atomic Heart

Crysis Remastered

Witcher 3

Anyone have any FTP requests?

Also plan to do some emulation benchmarking as well, recording that will be...interesting lol

I have mostly PS2 era stuff, but some Wii/Switch as well IIRC

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Demonstrating the thermal qualities of one particular case and fan configuration is outside the scope of testing a cooling solution and would merely convolute the results, especially comparing against an external radiator. That would be useful to demonstrate the superiority of an open bench or external radiator, but not a useful test otherwise. It might be more relevant inside of a case with a custom loop and 360mm radiator of similar dimensions. Against, this was a test of the AIO and not an opportunity to showcase the benefit of a custom loop and open bench instead of an AIO. The more relevant data was the comparison of the air cooler to the AIO. That is where the real world benefit would be most easily relatable and recognized by the average gamerboy.

From the AIO review I posted from Tomshardware...

The thermal results included are 10-minute testing runs. To be sure that was sufficiently long to tax the cooler, we tested both Thermalright’s Assassin X 120 R SE and DeepCool’s LT720 with a 30-minute Cinebench test with Intel’s i9-13900K for both 10 minutes and 30 minutes. The results didn’t change much at all with the longer test: The average clock speeds maintained dropped by 29 MHz on DeepCool’s LT720 and 31 MHz on Thermalright’s Assassin X 120 R SE. That’s an incredibly small 0.6% difference in clock speeds maintained, a margin of error difference that tells us that the 10-minute tests are indeed long enough to properly test the coolers.  

Edit. Finally got hold of this nice puppy for my 4090 HOF card. For some fun after my one months summer vacation on "Islas Canary" (A nice place with more sun than here home)🙂

No need have to do hardware mods for increasing voltage/TDP above 666W with this package.

XOC

But going above 1.150V will pump some serious loads of heat/watt with the 1000W HOF XOC xx.xx.xx.xx.46 vbios. Was warned about that. So +50mv with the XOC tool will let the card really suck up some power.

BTW. A plumber was in my house this morning to look at a job that has to be done... He saw my all black PC on the floor. He had never seen anything this big before, LOOL

And I had several PCs up running this morning. He wondered if computers were my only hobby, HaHa

12 hours ago, Etern4l said:

2. Pump speed - interesting point about faster not being better (contradicts the simplicity claim BTW). Would be good to see some supporting data. 

From Der8auers testing of flow rate.... If the pump speed is already good... Max it out won't get much more gain. Never reduce the pump speed too much on an AIO. The cold plate will clogg down much faster than it has to be. And not as easy as clean it up as an custom loop. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.1aa24c2cd59d029ddc50fdeb3d81c103.JPG

12 hours ago, Etern4l said:

The coldplate is also on the small side. I put mine back in the box as not being able to see the pump speed drove me nuts. That said, I think it does/did an OK job, and that VRM fan was probably helpful.

Just run it at full speed. Not much noise cioming from the pump. It won't bother me. But I don't have an tiny small pc box sitting on my desk barely 40cm from my 🙂

• Thumb Up 3
  • Haha 1

White and alu colored adapers this time. So two in a row. It doesn't matter what color you ordered the adaper in. They all will burn up and change color. Pink or modern white doesn't matter. White will be turned into brownish. Not exatctly what you hoped for from CM. @electrosoftI forgot what color you ordered. Maybe I can check if the color you have is affected by the color changing feature😆

u/cablemod it was so nice to give your users a heads up within an email that had a totally non related topic as subject... "Early adopter program - You're invited!" WTF

For such a risky and potentially damaging situation, an marketing themed email is just not acceptable. Hmmmm. What did he expect? A real recall and press release in all tech media and youtube? But he was invited in the melting club, LOOL

And there will be more of this smokin posts. Because CableMod wasn't able to stop all retail shops from selling their ticking bombs. Lack of QC here as well?

Yep, I could buy a brand new CableMod adapter today on the used market here home if I wanted. And this adapter will be sold and the buyer risk smoke and fire. Should I buy it ?😁 @Rage Set @Mr. Fox Only 40$

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Papusan said:

Yep, I could buy a brand new CableMod adapter today on the used market here home if I wanted. And this adapter will be sold and the buyer risk smoke and fire. Should I buy it ?😁 @Rage Set @Mr. Fox Only 40$

Maybe I should sell mine on eBay. It has been sitting on my  desk since I went back to the open bench configuration. I have a couple of aftermarket 12VHPWR cables I could sell as well. I got the invitation email, but I don't need an aftermarket part with the stock ATX 3.0 12VHPWR cable. I actually like the stock flat Corsair PSU cables design better than aftermarket individually sleeved cables anyway. I also think they look better than individually sleeved cable because they are all bonded together in a flat side-by-side ribbon design. No need for combs and other silly stuff to have neat and tidy wiring. The only one that I think has some room for aesthetic improvement is the 24-pin main motherboard cable. It looks a little bit messy at the motherboard connector because some of the wires have to cross one another out of sequence with the ribbon order in a few places for the correct pin-out. (They could have done that on the hidden PSU end of the cable.)

• Thumb Up 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Maybe I should sell mine on eBay. It has been sitting on my  desk since I went back to the open bench configuration. I got the invitation email, but I don't need an aftermarket part with the stock ATX 3.0 cable. I actually like the stock flat Corsair PSU cables better than aftermarket individually sleeved cables anyway. I also think they look better than individually sleeved cable because they are all bonded together in a flat side-by-side. No need for combs and other silly stuff to have neat and tidy wiring.

What I would do.... Post in the reddit thread. And say you want your money back. Then we will see what CM will say to that. The early adoper program say coupon code and you''ll need pay for shipping for the free adapter. This means you have to pay a second time for shipping. This is not a real recall. You paid also for the shipping on an adapter they say you can't use.

Ask for all money back. Full RMA. Included what you paid for the shipping. Weird people never ask for that option. Many will never use that free new adapter. On top they pay for shipping a second time.

• Thumb Up 2

12 minutes ago, Papusan said:

What I would do.... Post in the reddit thread. And say you want your money back. Then we will see what CM will say to that. The early adoper program say coupon code and you''ll need pay for shipping for the free adapter. This means you have to pay a second time for shipping. This is not a real recall. You paid also for the shipping on an adapter they say you can't use.

I try not to be associated with reddit. I hate that place and generally steer clear of it. Way too many emotards and I don't have time for their nonsense. Right up there with Facepoot and Tik Tok on the scale of morbid stupidity.

• Thumb Up 3

4 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I try not to be associated with reddit. I hate that place and generally steer clear of it. Way too many emotards and I don't have time for their nonsense.

Yep maybe. But all should try stop salemen/companies from selling bad or trash products.

This message will help everyone. If the gamer kids still want the freebie then they should also get it shipped for free. And those who say no thanks..... All money back. Full RMA. Not a crappy coupon code to try stop class action.

As I said... CM have no control over own products. And their QC over own products is minor or below minimum. Only a recall and press release about their trash can stop this. 

https://www.proshop.de/Gehaeusezubehoer/CableMod-12VHPWR-180-Angled-Adapter-variant-B-White/3150060?utm_source=idealo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricesite

https://www.performance-pcs.com/cables/power-supply-adapter-cables/cablemod-12vhpwr-90-degree-angled-adapter-variant-a-silver-cm-adt-16pc-a90ks-r.html

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/shop/components/graphics-cards/accessories/cablemod-12vhpwr-90-degree-angled-adapter--variant-a--black

• Thumb Up 1

3 hours ago, Papusan said:

Yep maybe. But all should try stop salemen/companies from selling bad or trash products.

This message will help everyone. If the gamer kids still want the freebie then they should also get it shipped for free. And those who say no thanks..... All money back. Full RMA. Not a shitty coupon code to try stop class action.

Nothing is going to help the trolls on reddit and I'd prefer to spend my time on something else. Whining on reddit won't fix anything and I don't have a vendetta against Cablemod. I appreciate that they are taking care of the people who have had their GPU connector melted while using their adapters. That negates any legitimate incentive for class action and is a demonstration of uncommon valor in a space usually devoid of companies that do the right thing. We have seen way too many examples of companies that do nothing, say nothing, and don't care, and those are the ones that deserve to be financially damaged, or exterminated, in lawsuits. The only winners in a class action are the attorneys that become richer of off the misfortune of others. The victims just get screwed a second time. They just have to wait a long time to get re-screwed. 

• Thumb Up 2

29 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Nothing is going to help the trolls on reddit and I'd prefer to spend my time on something else. Whining on reddit won't fix anything and I don't have a vendetta against Cablemod. I appreciate that they are taking care of the people who have had their GPU connector melted while using their adapaters. We have seen way too many examples of companies that do nothing and don't care, and those are the ones that deserve to be financially damaged in lawsuits. The only winners in a class action are the attorneys that become richer of off the misfortune of others. The victims just get screwed a second time. They just have to wait a long time to get re-screwed.

Their lack of contol over own product line is amazing. And yep, I'm not for class action. And I'm not for sales of trash. We are flooded with trash tech products bro Fox. And worse it will be. The tech world are full of Dell mentality. 

3rd shop here home that CableMod haven't stopped. And can still sell trash because Cablemod try to save their skin/reputation. 

https://klink.no/Ukategorisert/?product_id=3021&tracking=prisguiden&utm_source=pricerunner&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricerunner

I'm sure the kids will drool when they see this one is still for sale... Mama... I want it... Mama... I want it.............. It's so dam cute and will fits well in my small pc box. Mama... Of course my dear son. If this nice pretty tech thing will make you happy, I'll buy it for you. Sure.

CableMod-12VHPWR-Adapter-90-Grad-Variant

Only 3 available. Run and buy. Maybe bro @electrosoftwant a spare, LOOL

https://bits-mart.com/products/cablemod-90-degree-angled-adapter-variant-b

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bump 1

2 hours ago, Papusan said:

Their lack of contol over own product line is amazing. And yep, I'm not for class action. And I'm not for sales of trash. We are flooded with trash tech products bro Fox. And worse it will be. The tech world are full of Dell mentality. 

3rd shop here home that CableMod haven't stopped. And can still sell trash because Cablemod try to save their skin/reputation. 

https://klink.no/Ukategorisert/?product_id=3021&tracking=prisguiden&utm_source=pricerunner&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricerunner

I'm sure the kids will drool when they see this one is still for sale... Mama... I want it... Mama... I want it.............. It's so dam cute and will fits well in my small pc box. Mama... Of course my dear son. If this nice pretty tech thing will make you happy, I'll buy it for you. Sure.

CableMod-12VHPWR-Adapter-90-Grad-Variant

Only 3 available. Run and buy. Maybe bro @electrosoftwant a spare, LOOL

https://bits-mart.com/products/cablemod-90-degree-angled-adapter-variant-b

Yes, we live in sad days and we are surrounded by compromised trash made with a Dell mentality. I have to chuckle a little bit about the Dell hate we both have because it hits too close to home for their betrayal of Alienware customers. The underlying truth is that all laptops are now equally trashy piles of feces and no more or less trashy that Dell's broken garbage. Pretty much similar dung when we look at the big box prebuilt desktops from HP, Lenovo and Acer. All proprietary trash boxes like the Dell desktops. They are all worthy of our hate and condemnation at this point. We expected more from Dell, once being the best, and we expected nothing less than great things from Cablemod. Until now, we haven't seen anything bad from Cablemod.

I try to keep things in perspective and I don't want Cablemod to be crucified for a single mistake. They have been noted for producing quality products for a very long time and only this adapter for the 12VHPWR abortion hasn't turned out good. Nobody is perfect and the fact that they are paying for the mistake whenever something unfortunate happens is deserving of recognition. Their custom cable kits are excellent and nobody would be having anything but a trouble-free experience had the Green Goblin not invented this ridiculous, crappy, unwanted, unnecessary and unimportant 12VHPWR connector. It would be business as usual for Cablemod and just another day in paradise for owner's of the most overpriced graphics cards the world has ever seen.

We live in a world where basically everything sucks now. From the food we eat, to the cars we drive, to the idiotic political agendas driven by the most worthless, feckless, evil and corrupt national leaders, to the anti-family, self-absorbed and godless society that caters to the world's lowest common denominators and scummiest, repulsive and most misguided wastes of DNA among us. The human race is circling the drain due to stupidity, ignorance, selfishness, greed, corruption and an overwhelming perversion of everything good, right and decent.

• Thumb Up 3

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

We live in a world where basically everything sucks now.

You forgot add in...... and with stupids in the first sentence. Maybe my english isn't perfect. But I expect people should try understand more than they do. Maybe I have too high expectations to peoples mind/thinking? I could of course worded it a bit better. But what do I know. Maybe some have a bad day? Or are just plain stupid. Pick what you want.

screw