NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

@Talon Not sure if you already bought the new rams on Newegg or not, but I took my 2x24GB DDR5 7200 sticks and I copied the timings from those brand new $400 dollar DDR5 8400 sticks, I started with 1.450V the exact same timings as their stock XMP and a frequency of 8400. Well, it has passed over 30 minutes of Anta777 Extreme just fine. I’m going to keep reducing voltage, and then just build on these timings. But, so far so good. Something to consider. Im using my white APEX with bios 1402. Timings are like a key to a lock, I swear lol. But, now that I got them it sure makes overclocking these dimms and making them actually stable stable very easy with a base line to go back to. 

Now, I’m not sure if low temps are the cause here for my stability. Maybe so. But it’s still worth a try.

Even just my 8000c34 profile is faster than the 8400XMP profile, but timings are so tough because finding that right combo for a specific frequency that’s actually stable is very difficult and time consuming. This makes it easy, then build on top of that. 

SNoCc9U.jpg

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 2

13900KF

It was that way with DDR4 as well, but not magnified to the same extent as DDR5. That may be partly due to architecture chages, and partly due to the simple fact the DDR5 is running MUCH, MUCH IGHER clock speeds than DDR4 could ever do. With DDR5 all it takes is changing one timing value by the least amount possible to go from stable to unstable, or even unbootable. 

Running DDR5 6000 is like child's play for mainstream baby-girl gamerkidz now, and that would have been an extremely rare and freakish anomaly to run DDR4 at that clock speed.

• Thumb Up 2

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

25 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Yes, that is exactly how it makes me feel now. It doesn't matter anymore. You're going to end up owning a piece of trash, or best case scenario, you'll end up having a miserable and/or slow experience if you need warranty service.

I haven't heard if they struck a deal or that anything is officient yet, but some recent social media posts by Vince (Kingpin) suggest he may become part of MSI's overclocking efforts.

Yeah. I've defaulted to MSI for the 4000 series because it's more like process of elimination... gigabyte cracking PCBs, ASUS has the worst board design and highest coil whine, Zotac has least coil whine but they're ZOTAC, MSI is just kind of sitting there not doing anything waiting for people to quietly buy their products.

Hopefully MSI gets brought up by their britches, I remember when their Lightning cards were the way to go as well for the enthusiasts.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 2
  • Bump 1

I have a desktop now!

i5-13600K @ 5.2GHz || ASUS Strix Z690-F || RTX 3080 FE 10GB (+175MHz/+1100MHz daily driver) || 32GB 6000MHz 38-38-38-77 || AK620 CPU cooler || XV272U V 1440p 170Hz || Fractal Design Pop Air || WD Black SN850X 2TB

11 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

Even just my 8000c34 profile is faster than the 8400XMP profile, but timings are so tough because finding that right combo for a specific frequency that’s actually stable is very difficult and time consuming. This makes it easy, then build on top of that. 

SNoCc9U.jpg

Is that a bug in ASROCK Timing Configurator showing your DDR5 in single channel mode instead of quad channel?

5 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

It was that way with DDR4 as well, but not magnified to the same extent as DDR5. That may be partly due to architecture chages, and partly due to the simple fact the DDR5 is running MUCH, MUCH IGHER clock speeds than DDR4 could ever do. With DDR5 all it takes is changing one timing value by the least amount possible to go from stable to unstable, or even unbootable. 

Running DDR5 6000 is like child's play for mainstream baby-girl gamerkidz now, and that would have been an extremely rare and freakish anomaly to run DDR4 at that clock speed.

4 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Yeah. I've defaulted to MSI for the 4000 series because it's more like process of elimination... gigabyte cracking PCBs, ASUS has the worst board design and highest coil whine, Zotac has least coil whine but they're ZOTAC, MSI is just kind of sitting there not doing anything waiting for people to quietly buy their products.

Hopefully MSI gets brought up by their britches, I remember when their Lightning cards were the way to go as well for the enthusiasts.

I think Zotac is OK, especially if you are getting the flagship GPU. The AIRO is actually top notch in terms of build quality. But, I do agree with you and MSI and Galax are the only GPU brands that I believe can be taken seriously at this point. MSI could easily become the new EVGA/Kingpin masters of the universe if they put their minds to it. They would need to shed their nonsensical focus on gaming garbage for that product line to be successful. The Unify-X was a great example of the degree of excellence they are capable of when they focus on what matters most to overclockers.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Is that a bug in ASROCK Timing Configurator showing your DDR5 in single channel mode instead of quad channel?

It’s not my screen shot of the Asrock app, I got it from someone with the 8400 sticks lol. But yes, I saw that too but I didn’t say anything to him about it oops 🤣

• Haha 2

13900KF

20 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Running DDR5 6000 is like child's play for mainstream baby-girl gamerkidz now

Don't you mean the maximum frequency AMD boards can get without EXTREME instability issues and IIRC fclk tweaking?

15 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

I think Zotac is OK, especially if you are getting the flagship GPU. The AIRO is actually top notch in terms of build quality. But, I do agree with you and MSI and Galax are the only GPU brands that I believe can be taken seriously at this point. MSI could easily become the new EVGA/Kingpin masters of the universe if they put their minds to it. They would need to shed their nonsensical focus on gaming garbage for that product line to be successful. The Unify-X was a great example of the degree of excellence they are capable of when they focus on what matters most to overclockers.

My issue with Zotac is I know their post-sale support. And they have tried to take a dig at a friend of mine before, when his still-in-warranty 980Ti needed to be replaced and they basically told him they didn't have it, so they wanted to give him a 980 and $50 back instead, or he could go buy something else entirely and keep his broken card. Wouldn't even trade him up. I know it's been a long time since then but I haven't exactly heard anybody jumping at the bit to praise them either.

As for MSI, focusing on gaming cards is perfectly fine and should also be done... just not at the expense of the top end cards like a Lightning. You want all your customers to get quality goods with quality warranty. The majority of their customers won't be high end overclockers and WILL want good hardware and should not be denied it, and same for the post sale service.

Well, we'll see. Shame about EVGA but hopefully somebody that isn't ASUS takes up the mantle.

• Like 2

I have a desktop now!

i5-13600K @ 5.2GHz || ASUS Strix Z690-F || RTX 3080 FE 10GB (+175MHz/+1100MHz daily driver) || 32GB 6000MHz 38-38-38-77 || AK620 CPU cooler || XV272U V 1440p 170Hz || Fractal Design Pop Air || WD Black SN850X 2TB

5 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Don't you mean the maximum frequency AMD boards can get without EXTREME instability issues and IIRC fclk tweaking?

My issue with Zotac is I know their post-sale support. And they have tried to take a dig at a friend of mine before, when his still-in-warranty 980Ti needed to be replaced and they basically told him they didn't have it, so they wanted to give him a 980 and $50 back instead, or he could go buy something else entirely and keep his broken card. Wouldn't even trade him up. I know it's been a long time since then but I haven't exactly heard anybody jumping at the bit to praise them either.

As for MSI, focusing on gaming cards is perfectly fine and should also be done... just not at the expense of the top end cards like a Lightning. You want all your customers to get quality goods with quality warranty. The majority of their customers won't be high end overclockers and WILL want good hardware and should not be denied it, and same for the post sale service.

Well, we'll see. Shame about EVGA but hopefully somebody that isn't ASUS takes up the mantle.

I agree with you 100%. I also do not believe any of the brands offer "great" warranty support. Nobody seems to be interested in providing the level of service that EVGA did. None of them seem to care enough or are honest enough to be bothered by customer experience. That doesn't seem to be on the list of priorities for any of them.

To clarify my agreement, please note that I was careful with my wording when I said...

27 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

They would need to shed their nonsensical focus on gaming garbage for that product line to be successful.

• Thumb Up 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I agree with you 100%. I also do not believe any of the brands offer "great" warranty support. Nobody seems to be interested in providing the level of service that EVGA did. None of them seem to care enough or are honest enough to be bothered by customer experience. That doesn't seem to be on the list of priorities for any of them.

To clarify my agreement, please note that I was careful with my wording when I said...

I'll be honest with you... why would they be interested? Glowing reviews for every product abound and so few are willing to call out company garbage like gamers nexus. The average user goes off word of mouth and buys these things. I can't tell you how many times I've caught people ready to buy ASUS 4090s just before buying them and had to tell them they're a hard no. But all they know and hear from others is "well ASUS is good".

No need for them to focus on customer experience if they're still making all the money.

On another note, making a separate post for this, can someone explain to me what happens when a modern GPU has a driver crash?

Does like... your game just close? Does media running in the background still turn green (like youtube videos) until you restart the page or even the browser? Does your screen flash black? I've had a game weirdly crash on me twice within the last 2 weeks and it feels odd because no other game has problems, but nothing else seems to happen when it does crash. I wanted to make sure it wasn't my overclock but at the same time it's not exactly heavily repeatable, and other titles appear stable

• Sad 2

I have a desktop now!

7 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

I'll be honest with you... why would they be interested? Glowing reviews for every product abound and so few are willing to call out company garbage like gamers nexus. The average user goes off word of mouth and buys these things. I can't tell you how many times I've caught people ready to buy ASUS 4090s just before buying them and had to tell them they're a hard no. But all they know and hear from others is "well ASUS is good".

No need for them to focus on customer experience if they're still making all the money.

Unfortunately, doing the right thing seems to be a completely foreign concept, especially in Chinese business culture. They don't care because they are not required to care. They are not held accountable and need to be punished, but they are not. If they were good companies run by good people, none of that would be necessary. They would do what is right because it is the right thing to do. But, they are fundamentally dishonest and untrustworthy.

4 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

On another note, making a separate post for this, can someone explain to me what happens when a modern GPU has a driver crash?

Does like... your game just close? Does media running in the background still turn green (like youtube videos) until you restart the page or even the browser? Does your screen flash black? I've had a game weirdly crash on me twice within the last 2 weeks and it feels odd because no other game has problems, but nothing else seems to happen when it does crash. I wanted to make sure it wasn't my overclock but at the same time it's not exactly heavily repeatable, and other titles appear stable

Yes. All of the above. It depends on what the glitch or bug is that causes the malfunction. Anecdotally, it seems like troubleshooting things is more difficult with newer releases of Windows 10 and Windows 11 because the information and bug details are suppressed by the OS. And, it could be the OS, the driver, or something else causing it.

Overclocking instability in games, especially unstable memory overclocks, often seem to manifest for me by the game just crashing at launch or randomly closing with no visible error, or closing with an error that contains no useful information.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Yes. All of the above. It depends on what the glitch or bug is that causes the malfunction. Anecdotally, it seems like troubleshooting things is more difficult with newer releases of Windows 10 and Windows 11 because the information and bug details are suppressed by the OS. And, it could be the OS, the driver, or something else causing it.

Overclocking instability in games, especially unstable memory overclocks, often seem to manifest for me by the game just crashing at launch or randomly closing with no visible error, or closing with an error that contains no useful information.

I see... in my case the first time the game screen went black but it didn't close, and audio still played but I couldn't interact with it. The second time it just froze and closed itself. I had a youtube video on my second monitor and that did not even blink and simply kept playing as normal, and I was able to alt tab the second the game froze up as if the whole system was operating completely normally. So it felt very weird. There WAS an error report in error logs, but it didn't say anything, or even register really as an "error".

Well, I'll try my old settings and see if it still happens. If it does, it's the game, since it was stable all the time until now. If it doesn't, then I'll have to adjust my daily driver for that one game that runs about 50% GPU load, for reasons I'll never truly understand.

• Thumb Up 1

I have a desktop now!

9 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Yes, that is exactly how it makes me feel now. It doesn't matter anymore. You're going to end up owning a piece of trash, or best case scenario, you'll end up having a miserable and/or slow experience if you need warranty service. ASUS's extreme overclocking focused motherboards are very good (almost always have been) in terms of performance, but unreliable in terms of QC and failure rates, and their warranty service truly sucks. They are not a customer-centric company and their manner of doing business is fundamentally dishonest. (JayzTwoCents and GamersNexus have called them out recently for their suckiness, but it gets ignored by most of the TechTube shills.)

EVGA often defied the wishes of NVIDIA with their FTW3 and Kingpin (formerly Classified) GPU designs and firmware unlocks. AMD also tried going Nazi control freak on them, so their first AMD motherboard was their last. One of their tech support people confided in me that AMD was worse than NVIDIA to work with, especially in terms of firmware and overclocking support. Evidently, they do not want the owners of their products to have freedom and autonomy to make their own decisions and EVGA presented a threat to their command and control ecosystem. 

I haven't heard if they struck a deal or that anything is officient yet, but some recent social media posts by Vince (Kingpin) suggest he may become part of MSI's overclocking efforts.

GN especially gives no quarter with companies.

I had no idea EVGA was boxed into a corner even moreso with AMD than Nvidia in regards to being control freaks. In AMD's defense, their 5000 series chips were not nearly as robust as Intel's offerings in regards to overclocking but that may give insight into why EVGA didn't want to bring an AMD GPU to market either.

Invest all this time and money only to have to butt heads trying to be different for razor thin margins? No thank you.

Go smaller, control your own destiny with no control freaks and just make peripherals and some build components.

9 hours ago, D2ultima said:

I've been a fan of MSI ever since their series of 1722 laptops way back in the day. I remember they had a member of MSI on the NBR forums where you could get hard to find or not on the normal market parts for their laptops for all of us that were modding and OC'ing them. That's when I added them to my list of "will buy" vendors.

With EVGA exiting the MB and GPU market, for me personally it is MSI and Asus for MB and MSI for Nvidia GPUs.

For AMD GPUs = Asrock and Sapphire. MBs = MSI and I'm curious about Asrock MBs. I had washed my hands of them after their Z300 series Taichi's were garbage but I'm always open to redemption since their 6000 and 7000 series GPUs are so well built and have led the market in robust designs across the last couple of generations.

3 hours ago, Prema said:

Someone had to do it:

Especially since we won't see anything new from Nvidia on the Notebook front for a while and Intel just pushing their re-fresh...

Very nice, especially that CPU score!

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

12 hours ago, electrosoft said:

I'm sticking with AMD for my main rig right now. If this time next year 8000 series drops and Arrow Lake isn't bringing the high heat, I'll just slot in an 8800X3D or 8950X3D and keep on truckin'

When I say I've had zero problems with this build, that is exactly what I mean. Such a good experience after the 5800x debacle. I'm glad I gave AMD another chance along with MSI as I was running a Tomahawk x570 on that rig. I've been running this AMD rig for 6 months now.

I keep fighting the urge to jettison the 4090, pick up a 7900xtx and go full on AMD (and pocket the difference). I keep an Asrock Taichi 7900xtx in my Newegg saved list to check daily. 🤣

tl;dr AMD all the way**

**As always, I reserve the right to tuck tail and jump ship with head held low at any time because that's just how I roll. 🤣

I may switch back to the AsRock board next go around. Loved my X570 from them on the 3900X.

This MSI board is really starting to torque me off. Tried to enter the flash utility to flash the new bios, and it locked up with this code. Has to reset cmos again

IMG20231021100517.jpg

• Thumb Up 2
  • Sad 1

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

1 hour ago, electrosoft said:

GN especially gives no quarter with companies.

I had no idea EVGA was boxed into a corner even moreso with AMD than Nvidia in regards to being control freaks. In AMD's defense, their 5000 series chips were not nearly as robust as Intel's offerings in regards to overclocking but that may give insight into why EVGA didn't want to bring an AMD GPU to market either.

Invest all this time and money only to have to butt heads trying to be different for razor thin margins? No thank you.

Go smaller, control your own destiny with no control freaks and just make peripherals and some build components.

I've been a fan of MSI ever since their series of 1722 laptops way back in the day. I remember they had a member of MSI on the NBR forums where you could get hard to find or not on the normal market parts for their laptops for all of us that were modding and OC'ing them. That's when I added them to my list of "will buy" vendors.

With EVGA exiting the MB and GPU market, for me personally it is MSI and Asus for MB and MSI for Nvidia GPUs.

For AMD GPUs = Asrock and Sapphire. MBs = MSI and I'm curious about Asrock MBs. I had washed my hands of them after their Z300 series Taichi's were garbage but I'm always open to redemption since their 6000 and 7000 series GPUs are so well built and have led the market in robust designs across the last couple of generations.

Very nice, especially that CPU score!

7000MTs on the DDR5 is insane lol. Nice work!

• Like 1
Spoiler

The Beast Asus Z790 APEX | Intel i9 13900K | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix OC | 64gb DDR5 7466 CL34 Dual Rank A-Dies | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | Innocn 4K 160Hz Mini LED HDR1000 | LG 27GN950-B 4K 160Hz | Corsair 170i Elite LCD 420mm AIO | Corsair 7000D | EVGA 1600w T2

Little Beast EVGA Z690 DARK | Intel i9 13900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE | 32gb DDR5 SK Hynix DDR5 8000 CL36 A-Dies | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB | LG OLED C1 4K 120Hz G-Sync/FreeSync | Alienware AW2721D 1440p 240Hz G-Sync Ultimate | Corsair 115i Elite 280mm AIO | Lian Li 011 Dynamic | EVGA 1000w P6

1 hour ago, Raiderman said:

I may switch back to the AsRock board next go around. Loved my X570 from them on the 3900X.

This MSI board is really starting to torque me off. Tried to enter the flash utility to flash the new bios, and it locked up with this code. Has to reset cmos again

IMG20231021100517.jpg

I have not had any of the problems you're encountering with my X670e carbon. 😞  I picked it up open box from Amazon Warehouse and it has been rock solid from day one.

I would pick up another identical board and see if the problems go away because it might not even be the motherboard (but most likely). If the new test board works fine, RMA the original. If the problem(s) persist, move onto other components (CPU, mem).

Have you tried other memory in there? Set everything back to stock (especially memory)?

• Thumb Up 2

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

IMG20231021100517.jpg

I think @electrosoftis right and you have a bad board, it reminds me of my first Asus B650 Strix MB that was a bust and was giving me headaches even after I changed 3 DDR5 Kits on it and tried like 4 BIOS versions. The solution was to send it back and get a MSI Board :). Also if the gains are good im gonna change my 7950x3d for the 8950x3d 😄

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

Nice score.

I managed to beat my old top score, I think its completely bottlenecked from the 3200mhz ram now, nothing left That I can do. happy breaking 9700, kinda funny as laptops are breaking 27k and im happy with 9700. Im pretty sure if I had a 4090 laptop id be good for 5 years with my standards.

Screenshot-1.png

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

1 hour ago, electrosoft said:

I have not had any of the problems you're encountering with my X670e carbon. 😞  I picked it up open box from Amazon Warehouse and it has been rock solid from day one.

I would pick up another identical board and see if the problems go away because it might not even be the motherboard (but most likely). If the new test board works fine, RMA the original. If the problem(s) persist, move onto other components (CPU, mem).

Have you tried other memory in there? Set everything back to stock (especially memory)?

I am pretty sure its the board. It doesn't matter if everything is set to auto or not, it just does weird sh1t. Resetting cmos does strange things too. It does not even reset to defaults, and starts in a weird power saving mode, where all the RGB's are dark, fans don't spin, and that just started recently. It has been flaky since day 1, with odd behavior. I like the board and its features, but am getting tired of messing with it to keep it running.

How the morning went. Reply to your post here, remembered that you posted about a new bios. Thought...ok lets flash it and check it out. Enter the M flash utility via the bios, looking at my phone while loading....3 or 4 minutes go by with a blank screen.. Hmmm, better hit the reset button, once, twice, three times...all go to code C5. Ok, hard reset via holding the power button down. Still C5 code. OK, reset cmos...starts in some "power saving" mode, enter bios, load my profile....Boot normal/

• Sad 4

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

I found some proper timings that work, and I am working from the bottom again on my 7200-memory kit. 

Check this out though! @Mr. Fox So, I got a hold of the 8600XMP timings for the memory kit that is not even out yet. I set these exact timings on my sticks, I bumped the tREFI to 131K set only 1.500V VDD, and 1.450V VDDQ. And it is 20+ minutes in TM5 so far. 

I am surprised by this one for sure. 😀

That kit will be $500 dollars no doubt lol. And it runs on my 7200's just fine. Now, my temps are 18C but, still this is flipping awesome. Gotta try these timings for sure!!! @Talon @Papusan @electrosoftthis would probably work for you as well if you have the Hynix 3Gbit M-Die 48Gb kits.

i3ajmA6.png

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

13900KF

13 hours ago, D2ultima said:

MSI could offer a new 4090 Lightning. But nope. They are more hunged up in gamer gears.

Here's another brand that offer no value. Only disgusting prices.....

Oversized, overengineered, and overpriced

RTX 4090 Five-Fan GPU RTX 4090 Launches For $1,999Oversized, overengineered, and overpriced

Being a Chinese company, Maxsun makes no secret that its GeForce RTX 4090 MegaGamer OC will not be available globally. See the Grey box.

83Cx9FBJotN9CdFToWJVjF.jpg

13 hours ago, D2ultima said:

Asus saw their chance with the Matrix. But this card is only meant as a pretty collector edition card sold in 2000 items at double the MSRP. So in short not an option as a new Kingpin substitute. 

In short. Only Galax, Asus and MSI can push out real o'cing cards... If they bother do so. Asus have failed become the new EVGA. Colorful have one variant that can compete in the Kingpin league, but very few amount cards and only for the Asian market. + they offer only custom XOC vbios and XOX software for the very few "choosen one". 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bump 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

3 minutes ago, Papusan said:

MSI could offer a new 4090 Lightning. But nope. They are more hunged up in gamer gears.

Her's another brand that offer no value. Only disgusting prices.....

RTX 4090 Five-Fan GPU RTX 4090 Launches For $1,999Oversized, overengineered, and overpriced

Being a Chinese company, Maxsun makes no secret that its GeForce RTX 4090 MegaGamer OC will not be available globally. 

Asus saw their chance with the Matrix. But this card is only meant as a pretty collector edition card sold in 2000 items at double the MSRP. So in short not an option as a new Kingpin substitute. 

In short. Only Galax, Asus and MSI can push out real o'cing cards... If they bother do so. Asus have failed become the new EVGA.

Mega Gamer? oh my lordy. That is some serious cheese. 🤣

• Haha 1

13900KF

On 10/21/2023 at 12:26 AM, Raiderman said:

I'll be abandoning my 7950x build next year for a 8950x build. 🤣. Been reading about the new ground up architecture on the 3nm node. Should make for a good upgrade 👍 How about you bros @electrosoft@jaybee83?

haha right there with ya man. the main reason i went with AM5 was platform longevity, keep one board and ride it all the way until the end 🙂 (plus basically identical perf. as Intel at almost half power consumption aint bad either lulz).

i initially went with the 7950X due to its early release (couldnt be bothered to wait for X3D parts) plus I originally needed the cpu horsepower for my stuff. however, ive since transferred almost all compute intensive workloads to my 4090, so next round i might jump on the X3D wagon. ill wait and see what the performance numbers will be, this time around ill already have a system on hand so no rush 🙂 

19 hours ago, electrosoft said:

I'm sticking with AMD for my main rig right now. If this time next year 8000 series drops and Arrow Lake isn't bringing the high heat, I'll just slot in an 8800X3D or 8950X3D and keep on truckin'

When I say I've had zero problems with this build, that is exactly what I mean. Such a good experience after the 5800x debacle. I'm glad I gave AMD another chance along with MSI as I was running a Tomahawk x570 on that rig. I've been running this AMD rig for 6 months now.

I keep fighting the urge to jettison the 4090, pick up a 7900xtx and go full on AMD (and pocket the difference). I keep an Asrock Taichi 7900xtx in my Newegg saved list to check daily. 🤣

tl;dr AMD all the way**

**As always, I reserve the right to tuck tail and jump ship with head held low at any time because that's just how I roll. 🤣

nah id keep the 4090 for the time being bud 🙂 no sense in following any particular brand, just check whats on the menu and then decide which offers you the best option. for me that currently is AMD on the CPU side and Nvidia on the GPU side. brand loyalty only makes sense when its about reliability, i.e. warranty service or hardware lifetime (i.e. samsung SSDs or Seasonic PSUs). anything else would be foolish.

16 hours ago, D2ultima said:

nah, 6000 was never the max ryzen 7000 could support, it was just always touted as the "sweet spot" in terms of fire and forget easy tuning and bang per buck. same for Intel at 7200, basically. you can go up to roughly 6400, in rare cases to 6600 in gear 1. remember, intel cant even use gear 1 at all with ddr5, its always gear 2 going from 4800 all the way to 8000+. switching to gear 2 on ryzen 7000 also allows to go 8000+. as with intel, not every mobo or cpu imc can take it, but in general its definitely possible.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (TG High Perf. IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

2 hours ago, tps3443 said:

Yup. And Gamers Nexus have tested their lower end SKU as 4080. Once again wasted opportunity to offer something spectacular or wonderful for the enhusiasts. Just another abortion for the gamer kids but in another design shape. The extra added fans is just an gimic and offer no value. The final conclusion... Not worth buying.

The 5-Fan 'MEGA GAMER' GPU Tested: Maxsun MGG RTX 

3 hours ago, Papusan said:

So the new 4090 isn't any better than the 4080 Mega-Joke from the review above. 

Pop Tv Rita GIF by One Day At A Time

• Thumb Up 2
  • Haha 2

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

I am pretty sure its the board. It doesn't matter if everything is set to auto or not, it just does weird sh1t. Resetting cmos does strange things too. It does not even reset to defaults, and starts in a weird power saving mode, where all the RGB's are dark, fans don't spin, and that just started recently. It has been flaky since day 1, with odd behavior. I like the board and its features, but am getting tired of messing with it to keep it running.

How the morning went. Reply to your post here, remembered that you posted about a new bios. Thought...ok lets flash it and check it out. Enter the M flash utility via the bios, looking at my phone while loading....3 or 4 minutes go by with a blank screen.. Hmmm, better hit the reset button, once, twice, three times...all go to code C5. Ok, hard reset via holding the power button down. Still C5 code. OK, reset cmos...starts in some "power saving" mode, enter bios, load my profile....Boot normal/

I know breaking down a loop is a PITA, but you're going to need to swap in another to test and/or just send it off to MSI but I would definitely order an identical board from Amazon for their return policy to test out and see if all those little problems go away. Luckily, you and I own the exact same board so you can see it is capable of running just fine even having played around with 3-4 different memory kits, 3 different GPUs and 2 CPUs.

21 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Being a Chinese company, Maxsun makes no secret that its GeForce RTX 4090 MegaGamer OC will not be available globally. 

In short. Only Galax, Asus and MSI can push out real o'cing cards... If they bother do so. Asus have failed become the new EVGA. Colorful have one variant that can compete in the Kingpin league, but very few amount cards and only for the Asian market. + they offer only custom XOC vbios and XOX software for the very few "choosen one". 

17 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

I believe it is pronounced:

******MEGA GAMER!!!!******

Only like this can you get +50% on core and +2500 on memory....

ZOMG!!!1111 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, electrosoft said:

I know breaking down a loop is a PITA, but you're going to need to swap in another to test and/or just send it off to MSI but I would definitely order an identical board from Amazon for their return policy to test out and see if all those little problems go away. Luckily, you and I own the exact same board so you can see it is capable of running just fine even having played around with 3-4 different memory kits, 3 different GPUs and 2 CPUs.

I believe it is pronounced:

******MEGA GAMER!!!!******

Only like this can you get +50% on core and +2500 on memory....

ZOMG!!!1111 🤣

I think it would be cool if a GPU maker would do a “Throw back” styled GPU from the era when GPU’s first started getting fans and styling and all that fancy stuff before it took off. Green PCB or blue PCB like BFG did back in the day. I dunno maybe even a red PCB lol. Use a clear heatsink shroud 🤣 so cool. I miss the days. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Bump 1

13900KF