NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

18 hours ago, Etern4l said:

I don't want to reciprocate by invoking NVidia fanboyism in this situation, as that kind of language does not generally lead to great outcomes, although you do seem to have missed the fact that 4080S has a significantly slower gimped VRAM, with a 256 bit bus, although it is GDDR6X (the result being: probably better OC if we are being charitable to NVidia, which might help offset the 30% smaller bus). 

For a more balanced point of view:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/01/nvidia-rtx-4080-super-review-all-you-need-to-know-is-that-its-cheaper-than-a-4080/

or

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-rtx-4080-super-review-performance-benchmarks/

I only see a huge difference in RT performance in CP2077, a piece of software particularly famous for its technical qualities.

It's true that VRAM > 16GB will rarely come into play for a gamer, but many of them will just look at this dire PC market and shrug to begin with, and NVidia is largely to blame for this by inflating GPU prices. This doesn't help the PC industry.

As for content creation, it looks like the 7900 XTX is a viable contender in some categories (to the point of beating the 4090), while falling flat in some other - hence the use-case dependence:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-24gb-content-creation-review/

BTW There is no such thing as too much VRAM in many professional applications, and the 7900 XTX at < $1k will be an increasingly very tempting offering, if the software side of things can be worked out, e.g.  as per an example here:

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-7900-xtx-offers-higher-generative-ai-performance-per-dollar-than-nvidia-rtx-4080-after-990-speedup/

That is good, right? We are our own fanboys here, and we rock when we can buy great GPUs at reasonable prices, otherwise we kind of suck lol

In keeping with that theme, I would agree with some of the reviews that AMD should now drop the 7900 XTX price a little to keep Huang in check where they can.

I think in some ways you understood my point and in other ways missed it. We are talking the same language but interpreting things with subtle twists simply because forum posts are often a poor substitute for conversation.

Having a personal preference is normal. We all do, and if we deny it we are not being completely honest. The only thing I am critical about is the foolishness of hating on something based on brand. Brand should not matter. Results do and should matter, but they are relative to the intended use scenario. Taking a position that one doesn't like a particular brand because it is inferior in the metrics they care about or need the product to deliver is valid. Price adds a slightly different dynamic. One might choose the inferior product because the superior product is so grossly overpriced that its benefits are eclipsed due to a price so high it cannot be tolerated. Thus, settling for the inferior product might be the smartest alternative. But it is still inferior.

If the brand one prefers doesn't perform well in the area they intend to use it, buying it based primarily on an irrational hatred of a brand is proof that the person buying it is an irrational person that lacks good judgment (a fanboy). The intent might be to punish the brand they dislike and reward the brand they prefer, but their purchase decision will accomplish neither of those objectives. I am relatively confident that Intel, AMD and NVIDIA don't care what we want as individuals. They only care about what (and how much) they can sell us collectively.

17 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Impulse-buying at launch tends to be dire timing: least choice, worst prices, not to mention the possibility of running into some unwelcome first adopter issues.

That is, unless some shortages are expected (and in this case almost surely no shortage of those lower grade chips is on the horizon, hence the price cut), or there is some indication that prices might raise post launch for another reason - again no grounds for that, not least because NVidia is thankfully not alone in the segment. 

That's very accurate. I have changed my approach in the past year or so and I think the smartest move is to wait, watch and buy used when something newer displaces it whenever possible. That's easier to do with things like motherboards and CPUs than it is GPUs. GPUs are more prone to failure and good samples are not sold and replaced by an upgraded product as quickly (or so it seems). It is better to grab a silicon lottery winner second hand at used pricing from someone with the "latest and greatest sickness" driving their decisions whenver possible. Although there can be legitimate reasons for it, such as unexpected financial hardship, it is generally a red flag when a current generation flagship GPU is being offered for sale. There is a good indication something is wrong with it. A silicon lottery loser or some other factor driving regret and dissatisfaction on the part of the person selling it. If it is a truly "special" sample it will generally be offered up at a scalper price because the seller sees the opportunity to profit and they value that opportunity more than the product they are selling, or the person they are taking advantage of.

The golden sample 13900KS I just purchased for a price that resembles MSRP would or could have been sold for double MSRP before the 14900K appeared. In fact, the person I bought it from was selling it to offset the cost of his CPU upgrade; not because he wanted to scalp someone feeling compelled to have a better current generation CPU at an insane price. It is a reversal of positions, but it is smarter to take advantage of the opportunity to buy at the correct price from a person needing money to offset the cost of the shiny objects they are chasing versus buying high from a scalper that doesn't care about the shiny objects.

• Thumb Up 5
  • Bump 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Antec C8

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

Brand should not matter.

I have to say I don't agree with that particular statement. The brand/company ethos is important for quite valid and rational (although not necessarily immediately obvious) reasons such as:

* The way the company reinvests proceeds, and the long-term consequences of that

* The desire to support or not the particular individuals at the top of the given company (given the potential consequences of their staying in charge)

* The kind of world the company envisages and is working towards

* The treatment of consumers. Are the products being offered provided in good faith, or exploitative, perhaps borderline-scams?

* Presence of problematic geopolitical aspects of the company's activities

* Edit: a basic one: the consequences of the company gaining a complete monopoly

etc.

Yep, you guessed it, NVidia ticks all those boxes for me the wrong way, even though I'm happy with the products per se.

I'm sure you would agree to some extent at least as you have numerously lambasted or praised brands (rather than necessarily particular products) on various grounds including things like ethos, customer service or the impact of the people in charge.

I also bet even a dogmatic view like the one you proposed has its limits in practice. Imagine a given company has technically the best product on the market, but is actively developing technologies or supporting other business whose activities are harmful to the society, and the collective product space either already has or might eventually be turned into weapons of totalitarian population control and mass destruction potentially unleashed at home. If you were reasonably convinced that is the case, the buck would stop there - I would like to think that at least. I suspect the issue is that in the case of NVidia you are not there yet. 

Of course, the average consumer rarely takes a moment to think at a higher level about their purchases (we generally struggle with long-term planning as a species), and even if they do they probably often conclude they are powerless. It's easy to see though that if the broader mindset of the public changed, the tables would turn rather quite quickly. TBH this is our last hope.

Edit: Given the power held by large corporations, I think it's valid to think about this as quasi-democracy, just voting with your wallet (while still possible). Democracy if you can keep it and all that.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

Final conclusion by HUB 7900XTX vs 4080 Super.

"For me the 4080 Super it's a pretty easy pick here given that they both do cost around $1000"

Again, AMD is going to have to lower that price....

(Timestamped)

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 3

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

6 hours ago, electrosoft said:

Final conclusion by HUB 7900XTX vs 4080 Super.

"For me the 4080 Super it's a pretty easy pick here given that they both do cost around $1000"

Again, AMD is going to have to lower that price....

(Timestamped)

Yup, if they don't fix the pricing the results will be even worse forwards.... AMD's results hurt by slowing demand for client and gaming hardware.

Nvidia was able to compete with the $1199 regular 4080. With the cheaper Super refresh they will eat AMD to dinner. 7900 XTX can't be above $899. Rather sub $850 because many gamers will also buy the cheaper 4070 Ti Super for the added Nvidia features AMD can't compete with. AMD is under double fire now. And they need to put the price point for 7900XTX closer to the 4070 Ti Super.

Yup, almost as Jayz took the words out of my mouth... Still terrible value.

• Thumb Up 4
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

9 hours ago, Etern4l said:

I have to say I don't agree with that particular statement. The brand/company ethos is important for quite valid and rational (although not necessarily immediately obvious) reasons such as:

* The way the company reinvests proceeds, and the long-term consequences of that

* The desire to support or not the particular individuals at the top of the given company (given the potential consequences of their staying in charge)

* The kind of world the company envisages and is working towards

* The treatment of consumers. Are the products being offered provided in good faith, or exploitative, perhaps borderline-scams?

* Presence of problematic geopolitical aspects of the company's activities

* Edit: a basic one: the consequences of the company gaining a complete monopoly

etc.

Yep, you guessed it, NVidia ticks all those boxes for me the wrong way, even though I'm happy with the products per se.

I'm sure you would agree to some extent at least as you have numerously lambasted or praised brands (rather than necessarily particular products) on various grounds including things like ethos, customer service or the impact of the people in charge.

I also bet even a dogmatic view like the one you proposed has its limits in practice. Imagine a given company has technically the best product on the market, but is actively developing technologies or supporting other business whose activities are harmful to the society, and the collective product space either already has or might eventually be turned into weapons of totalitarian population control and mass destruction potentially unleashed at home. If you were reasonably convinced that is the case, the buck would stop there - I would like to think that at least. I suspect the issue is that in the case of NVidia you are not there yet. 

Of course, the average consumer rarely takes a moment to think at a higher level about their purchases (we generally struggle with long-term planning as a species), and even if they do they probably often conclude they are powerless. It's easy to see though that if the broader mindset of the public changed, the tables would turn rather quite quickly. TBH this is our last hope.

Edit: Given the power held by large corporations, I think it's valid to think about this as quasi-democracy, just voting with your wallet (while still possible). Democracy if you can keep it and all that.

I do not disagree, but adhering to that rigidly I could not buy anything from AMD or NVIDIA. I view them both, along with many other  large corporations  (especially those in technology) as ethically bankrupt and fundamentally corrupt and dishonest organizations.

• Thumb Up 4
  • Bump 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Antec C8

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I do not disagree, but adhering to that rigidly I could not buy anything from AMD or NVIDIA. I view them both, along with many other  large corporations  (especially those in technology) as ethically bankrupt and fundamentally corrupt and dishonest organizations.

TBH that'd probably be ideal, especially since you do have fallback to Intel and don't need to play WoW at 4K Ultra RT 120 FPS. I must say that quitting PC gaming (as opposed to PCs in general) a few years back was one of the best decisions ever.

Failing that approach, unfortunately, as in the other unspoken area of reference, we often end up having to choose the lesser evil. Sign of the times.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Haha 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

8 hours ago, Etern4l said:

TBH that'd probably be ideal, especially since you do have fallback to Intel and don't need to play WoW at 4K Ultra RT 120 FPS. I must say that quitting PC gaming (as opposed to PCs in general) a few years back was one of the best decisions ever.

Failing that approach, unfortunately, as in the other unspoken area of reference, we often end up having to choose the lesser evil. Sign of the times.

Speaking of which (just for you @Etern4l 🤣), I reran my WoW 4k RT on/off benchmark for Dragonflight which flies point to point over the entire Dragonflight continent there and back with the 7950X3D + 4090. This is with the 7950X3D untuned but memory tuned the same as with the 7800X3D:

7950X3D (memory tuned. CPU untuned)

Wow7950X3D.thumb.jpg.224eeebfe64f5c2180cdfa3eb07457c6.jpg

7800X3D (memory and cpu tuned):

7800X3Dtuned.thumb.png.287e307ac78a0c910c8db57a1b8b374b.png

13900KS (memory 8000 tuned, CPU stock):

13900KStuned.thumb.png.12efc00b366d7fcb5c6a732cfbfc7e8b.png

I still need to tune the 7950X3D along with isolate CCD for X3D only for comparison (I'll probably isolate the other CCD just for comparison sake too).

13900KS and X3D chips were finally able to have the 4090 bouncing off of 100% gpu utilization in some spots but still left the 4090 waiting in others. As soon as you introduce player data and the CPU has to work extra hard, GPU utilization drops into the 80's or lower.

Hopefully next gen 9000 or 15th gen will tap out the GPU entirely but much more GPU utilization than the 12900k from both camps.

• Thumb Up 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Bump 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

16 minutes ago, electrosoft said:

Speaking of which (just for you @Etern4l 🤣), I reran my WoW 4k RT on/off benchmark for Dragonflight which flies point to point over the entire Dragonflight continent there and back with the 7950X3D + 4090. This is with the 7950X3D untuned but memory tuned the same as with the 7800X3D:

7950X3D (memory tuned. CPU untuned)

Wow7950X3D.thumb.jpg.224eeebfe64f5c2180cdfa3eb07457c6.jpg

7800X3D (memory and cpu tuned):

7800X3Dtuned.thumb.png.287e307ac78a0c910c8db57a1b8b374b.png

13900KS (memory 8000 tuned, CPU stock):

13900KStuned.thumb.png.12efc00b366d7fcb5c6a732cfbfc7e8b.png

I still need to tune the 7950X3D along with isolate CCD for X3D only for comparison (I'll probably isolate the other CCD just for comparison sake too).

13900KS and X3D chips were finally able to have the 4090 bouncing off of 100% gpu utilization in some spots but still left the 4090 waiting in others. As soon as you introduce player data and the CPU has to work extra hard, GPU utilization drops into the 80's or lower.

Hopefully next gen 9000 or 15th gen will tap out the GPU entirely but much more GPU utilization than the 12900k from both camps.

Love to see that there is next to 0 difference between an X3D and 13900KS when both are tuned. 

With the rumors of a "budget" offering release along side the flagship Arrow Lake, I'm considering skipping ARL. But only if they increase the cache with Bartlett Lake or make a meaningful P core chance/IPC improvement. If it's a simple refresh again, why? WHY!!!!! LOL. Besides the chip will hold a special place for me as I used to fly over Bartlett Reservoir/Lake all the time when I was teaching students to fly in Phoenix back in the day. Lived out there for 1.5 years when I was building up experience. 

Of course this is all dependent on this new gen of chips being real and not some made up rumor. 

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1
Spoiler

The Beast Asus Z790 APEX | Intel i9 13900K | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix OC | 64gb DDR5 7466 CL34 Dual Rank A-Dies | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | Innocn 4K 160Hz Mini LED HDR1000 | LG 27GN950-B 4K 160Hz | Corsair 170i Elite LCD 420mm AIO | Corsair 7000D | EVGA 1600w T2

Little Beast EVGA Z690 DARK | Intel i9 13900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE | 32gb DDR5 SK Hynix DDR5 8000 CL36 A-Dies | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB | LG OLED C1 4K 120Hz G-Sync/FreeSync | Alienware AW2721D 1440p 240Hz G-Sync Ultimate | Corsair 115i Elite 280mm AIO | Lian Li 011 Dynamic | EVGA 1000w P6

46 minutes ago, Talon said:

Love to see that there is next to 0 difference between an X3D and 13900KS when both are tuned. 

With the rumors of a "budget" offering release along side the flagship Arrow Lake, I'm considering skipping ARL. But only if they increase the cache with Bartlett Lake or make a meaningful P core chance/IPC improvement. If it's a simple refresh again, why? WHY!!!!! LOL. Besides the chip will hold a special place for me as I used to fly over Bartlett Reservoir/Lake all the time when I was teaching students to fly in Phoenix back in the day. Lived out there for 1.5 years when I was building up experience. 

Of course this is all dependent on this new gen of chips being real and not some made up rumor. 

True, the 7800X3D definitely smacked down the 12900k which also topped out around ~6800 stable / 7200 benching and actually performed better on tuned B-die 4133 DDR4 (but still lost to the 7800X3D), but the 13900ks did 8000 no problem and once tuned was easily on par with both my 7800X3D and 7950X3D. WoW loves tuned memory especially with Intel where we are talking a 10-15% difference in performance from highs to lows and even more if you pick up junk 5600-6000 memory and just leave it at XMP settings. The biggest difference is in the lows.

Anybody who picks up a 13th or 14th gen system and doesn't tune their memory is leaving so much performance on the table.

With an architectural overall from Intel and a rumored IPC bump of at least 10% for AMD 9000, I think we're in for a nice round of exciting CPUs this year. (fingers crossed).

• Thumb Up 4

Same point about DLC can be made about hardware. People (myself very much included) rewarding companies' bad behavior only incentivizes more of it. 

At this point, I really hope Intel can take that next big step forward with Battlemage and price it as aggressively as they did with the A770.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2
  • Bump 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

Gigabyte Aorus 16X: Core i7-14650HX | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 | 1 TB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

1 hour ago, saturnotaku said:

Same point about DLC can be made about hardware. People (myself very much included) rewarding companies' bad behavior only incentivizes more of it. 

At this point, I really hope Intel can take that next big step forward with Battlemage and price it as aggressively as they did with the A770.

As long as cosmetic upgrades do not give any gaming advantage, I'm fine with them charging all they want for them. I have never nor will never buy anything cosmetic in a game ever.

Blame Fortnite for this new trend where people will drop insane amounts of real world money on skins and other external cosmetic items. Fallout 76 makes the bulk of its money off of cosmetic items and even WoW is overrun with cosmetic items that can be purchased for real money or in game for gold (which you can conveniently buy from Blizzard now laundered through players selling their extra gold to blizzard for blizzard tokens which can be redeemed for either a month of game time ($15) or a $15 credit in the Blizzshop).

While I have never spent real money on cosmetic crap, my daughter, wife, nieces and nephews all have in the various games they play along with numerous friends so it is definitely a thing especially in mobile gaming. I don't get it and I remember looking at my daughter incredulously that she spent $25 REAL dollars on a flying horse mount in WoW like she had grown a foot out of her forehead. My wife wanting to spend $50 on a clothing and pet cosmetic set on WoW just had me staring at her like she had sprouted wings....

When I tell you cosmetics, pets, camp/housing items, special decorative abilities and more are huge sellers it is an understatement.

Don't get me started on the sheer number of people that P2W in games like Candy Crush and similar to get bonus turns, items and more to have chances of advancing farther in the game.

It's insane....

With that being said ...

One crucial thing here in his video is he has fallen victim to , "correlation is not causation"

Correlating the continued rise of cosmetic purchases with the  causation and decline of quality DLC content (and neither has been properly quantified or qualified) is tenuously subjective at best. His core argument is, "Companies no longer care about quality games/DLC but instead would prefer the easier revenue stream of cosmetic items." He effectively has set up his own straw man to knock down.

But again, personally, the idea of spending real world money on cosmetic items seems insane to me but to each their own. Knowing one person in particular who spent well over $1000 buying bonuses and power upgrades in Candy Crush, I will only pay for the games and valid Xpac/DLC gaming content. No more; no less.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, electrosoft said:

True, the 7800X3D definitely smacked down the 12900k which also topped out around ~6800 stable / 7200 benching and actually performed better on tuned B-die 4133 DDR4 (but still lost to the 7800X3D), but the 13900ks did 8000 no problem and once tuned was easily on par with both my 7800X3D and 7950X3D. WoW loves tuned memory especially with Intel where we are talking a 10-15% difference in performance from highs to lows and even more if you pick up junk 5600-6000 memory and just leave it at XMP settings. The biggest difference is in the lows.

Anybody who picks up a 13th or 14th gen system and doesn't tune their memory is leaving so much performance on the table.

With an architectural overall from Intel and a rumored IPC bump of at least 10% for AMD 9000, I think we're in for a nice round of exciting CPUs this year. (fingers crossed).

Hey. Can you share what your DDR5 8000 tuned timings look like? 

13900KF

On 1/31/2024 at 3:59 PM, tps3443 said:

I woke up late at 9:14AM lol. Best Buy inventory was already gone, Newegg was loaded up, and I took forever deciding which one. Then they started dropping like flies after trying to check out with some of them.

So I got a MSI 4080 Super Expert, it’s like a FE model. I just feel bad I got scalped for an extra $149.99 by MSI/Newegg.

LOL weeks in mental prep and u slept in HAHAHA. sorry had to chuckle when i saw this 😄 

On 1/31/2024 at 4:03 PM, tps3443 said:

Dang. I already bought the Expert though. It’ll be here tomorrow. It looks kinda nice man. 

soooo... cuz u cant wait another day ure willing to spend those extra 150 bucks? welp thats on you i guess 😛 same goes with not getting a 4090. if u have 1200 bucks disposable income for a gpu, u can just wait and save for another what? 1-2 months? and then get a 4090, easy. so its more about patience than capabilities here id wager. 

not hating! i just find it curious that someone who buys CPUs like popcorn left and right suddenly complains about financial constraints... if youre just impatient, stand by it bud, nothing wrong with that 🙂 

2 hours ago, saturnotaku said:

its weird when u realize ure playing games based on studios that developed them and not cuz of their standalone content value. i.e. with Remedy and Machinegames i just know ill be in for a good ride, dense atmosphere, great gameplay and rewarding graphics + storytelling 🙂 hoping such studios will never really cease to exist!

• Like 1
  • Bump 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (TG High Perf. IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

4 hours ago, electrosoft said:

Speaking of which (just for you @Etern4l 🤣), I reran my WoW 4k RT on/off benchmark

Gee, thanks bro, you know I love you but really need to steer clear of that good stuff. Wouldn’t want to end up in trouble like CD Joe there. Granted, it’s a fairly loose analogy, but has its moments. “Life service” works lol. Almost 20 years… Blizzard def knows how to cook.

• Haha 3

-- Max Tegmark

2 hours ago, electrosoft said:

As long as cosmetic upgrades do not give any gaming advantage, I'm fine with them charging all they want for them. I have never nor will never buy anything cosmetic in a game ever.

Blame Fortnite for this new trend where people will drop insane amounts of real world money on skins and other external cosmetic items. Fallout 76 makes the bulk of its money off of cosmetic items and even WoW is overrun with cosmetic items that can be purchased for real money or in game for gold (which you can conveniently buy from Blizzard now laundered through players selling their extra gold to blizzard for blizzard tokens which can be redeemed for either a month of game time ($15) or a $15 credit in the Blizzshop).

While I have never spent real money on cosmetic crap, my daughter, wife, nieces and nephews all have in the various games they play along with numerous friends so it is definitely a thing especially in mobile gaming. I don't get it and I remember looking at my daughter incredulously that she spent $25 REAL dollars on a flying horse mount in WoW like she had grown a foot out of her forehead. My wife wanting to spend $50 on a clothing and pet cosmetic set on WoW just had me staring at her like she had sprouted wings....

When I tell you cosmetics, pets, camp/housing items, special decorative abilities and more are huge sellers it is an understatement.

Yeah, that really does suck and I am absolutely opposed to it. I don't have a problem with a software company (games or any other kind of software) making money. I want them to or they will go out of business. But, I don't want them to milk me for money after the sale. I view that as being dishonest and will generally choose to go with another solution or just do without and not buy anything from them. Games should be inexpensive. Making them free and charging for the add-ons needed to make the experience a good one is a dishonest shell game. I say figure out how much you need to charge to turn a profit giving all of the features and functions as standard, charge that for it and say take it or leave it. If I want it and it is priced right I will buy it. If not, I won't. And, if I know I am going to be milked to death I sure as hell won't. Selling DLC, skins, add-ons, etc. is a scummy way to make a sale that keeps on selling.

Speaking of "milking" I finally made an exception for Office 365 exclusively, and for two reasons. I am renting 6TB of cloud storage for $99 a year and can't do that anywhere else that cheap, and the software is essentially free. Second reason is that it is a "user license" not a "machine license" so I can install as many times as I want on up to 6 systems simultaneously and de-register installations when the system is gone or I have done a clean OS install, so it is essentially an unlimited number of installations. The "pay once/own forever" lifetime Office license is a scam. You can only activate it a certain number of times on one machine and then your license is no bueno.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 2
  • Bump 1

1 hour ago, jaybee83 said:

LOL weeks in mental prep and u slept in HAHAHA. sorry had to chuckle when i saw this 😄 

soooo... cuz u cant wait another day ure willing to spend those extra 150 bucks? welp thats on you i guess 😛 same goes with not getting a 4090. if u have 1200 bucks disposable income for a gpu, u can just wait and save for another what? 1-2 months? and then get a 4090, easy. so its more about patience than capabilities here id wager. 

not hating! i just find it curious that someone who buys CPUs like popcorn left and right suddenly complains about financial constraints... if youre just impatient, stand by it bud, nothing wrong with that 🙂 

its weird when u realize ure playing games based on studios that developed them and not cuz of their standalone content value. i.e. with Remedy and Machinegames i just know ill be in for a good ride, dense atmosphere, great gameplay and rewarding graphics + storytelling 🙂 hoping such studios will never really cease to exist!

Yeah I’m totally fine with a 4080 though, I’m not complaining one bit. Me and my wife are building a new home, and the random expenses popping up weekly are pretty high associated with securing land and the home as well, and we aren’t even at closing day yet so You won’t find me saving for a 4090 anytime soon lol. I just wanted a fast and affordable GPU to replace my aging RTX3090. 

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 2

13900KF

18 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

@Talon

Mine did +1375 on the memory reliably through Speedway. 

Nice, my max is around there as well. I was hoping for a better binned chip TBH. But this memory is already OC by Nvidia it seems. It runs about +300Mhz out of box on mem higher than the OG 4080 for it's effective clock. So that means you got around +1700Mhz on top of standard 4080 mem, not terrible. But would have been nice to max the sliders at +2000 for some crazy memory speeds. 

• Thumb Up 1
Spoiler

The Beast Asus Z790 APEX | Intel i9 13900K | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix OC | 64gb DDR5 7466 CL34 Dual Rank A-Dies | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | Innocn 4K 160Hz Mini LED HDR1000 | LG 27GN950-B 4K 160Hz | Corsair 170i Elite LCD 420mm AIO | Corsair 7000D | EVGA 1600w T2

Little Beast EVGA Z690 DARK | Intel i9 13900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE | 32gb DDR5 SK Hynix DDR5 8000 CL36 A-Dies | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB | LG OLED C1 4K 120Hz G-Sync/FreeSync | Alienware AW2721D 1440p 240Hz G-Sync Ultimate | Corsair 115i Elite 280mm AIO | Lian Li 011 Dynamic | EVGA 1000w P6

46 minutes ago, Talon said:

Nice, my max is around there as well. I was hoping for a better binned chip TBH. But this memory is already OC by Nvidia it seems. It runs about +300Mhz out of box on mem higher than the OG 4080 for it's effective clock. So that means you got around +1700Mhz on top of standard 4080 mem, not terrible. But would have been nice to max the sliders at +2000 for some crazy memory speeds. 

Seems we are really limited by voltage for the memory, and we’re limited by power/voltage on the core clocks.

My 3090 Kingpin ran like 1.368V to the GDDR6X stock, I could run +1450ish stable. However, once I jumped GDDR6X voltage to just 1.440V I could do +1,800 in games and even more for benching. Not to mention you could push the ram voltage even harder. 😁 up to 1.900V or something 🤣 man, if only all GPU’s were fully unlocked like this. 

Anyways I made a video of my experience. 1st benchmark was stock with auto fan, and then tuning it. 

Below looks like Speedway Christmas edition, but it’s really artifacts 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13900KF

18 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

Seems we are really limited by voltage for the memory. My 3090 Kingpin ran like 1.368V to the GDDR6X stock, I could run +1450ish stable. However, once I jumped GDDR6X voltage to just 1.440V I could do +1,800 in games and even more for benching. Not to mention you could push the ram voltage even harder. 😁 up to 1.900V or something 🤣 man, if only all GPU’s were fully unlocked like this. 

Anyways I made a video of my experience. 1st benchmark was stock, and then tuning it. 

Below looks like Speedway Christmas edition, but it’s really artifacts 🤣

We are power limited right now. We need to flash higher power limit vBIOS, waiting on tech power up to add them. For whatever reason they have them hidden and not relased for 4080 Super yet like other cards. Kinda annoying. I wonder if its some sort of NDA crap they sign for cards they review?  Either way, my voltage drops, 355w not enough obviously. 

• Thumb Up 1
Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Talon said:

We are power limited right now. We need to flash higher power limit vBIOS, waiting on tech power up to add them. For whatever reason they have them hidden and not relased for 4080 Super yet like other cards. Kinda annoying. I wonder if its some sort of NDA crap they sign for cards they review?  Either way, my voltage drops, 355w not enough obviously. 

This 4080 Super completely stock, auto silent fan profile, 100% power limit, and it is still 15% faster than my full tilt RTX3090 KP.

I managed to gain another 8% more performance with an improved fan curve, increased power limit, +1375 mem, and +185 core. 

So +23% faster in rasterization over my water chilled 3090KP is pretty darn good! 😃

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 2
  • Bump 1

13900KF

1 hour ago, tps3443 said:

This 4080 Super completely stock, auto silent fan profile, 100% power limit, and it is still 15% faster than my full tilt RTX3090 KP.

I managed to gain another 8% more performance with an improved fan curve, increased power limit, +1375 mem, and +185 core. 

So +23% faster in rasterization over my water chilled 3090KP is pretty darn good! 😃

Yup, upgrade in every aspect except that VRAM.

Now imagine if you had caved and picked up a 4070ti Super.....

4 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Gee, thanks bro, you know I love you but really need to steer clear of that good stuff. Wouldn’t want to end up in trouble like CD Joe there. Granted, it’s a fairly loose analogy, but has its moments. “Life service” works lol. Almost 20 years… Blizzard def knows how to cook.

The aluminum foil crack pipe....lol..... 🤣❤️

• Thumb Up 4

21 hours ago, tps3443 said:

I was looking through my files to post them up for you when I realized I left these on my desktop drive (980 Pro 1TB) I had in the MSI in notepad.....which I then installed in my daughter's system to replace her 500GB which only had 20GB free so they're gone.....

21 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

I did laugh when he overslept by ~15min and missed the window. I remember back during EVGA drops I set my alarm to be up and ready to get in the queue ASAP!

The extra $150 still boggles the mind but I did drop an extra $120 on my Suprim Liquid X 4090 over retail ($1720 vs $1600) but I wanted this model specifically. I would have just ponied up the extra coin for a 4090 if I couldn't get the $1k model seeing as $1150 is nipping at the original MSRP of the 4080 normal. On the other hand, I do like the look of that MSI 4090 he picked up.

• Thumb Up 4

57 minutes ago, electrosoft said:

I was looking through my files to post them up for you when I realized I left these on my desktop drive (980 Pro 1TB) I had in the MSI in notepad.....which I then installed in my daughter's system to replace her 500GB which only had 20GB free so they're gone.....

I did laugh when he overslept by ~15min and missed the window. I remember back during EVGA drops I set my alarm to be up and ready to get in the queue ASAP!

The extra $150 still boggles the mind but I did drop an extra $120 on my Suprim Liquid X 4090 over retail ($1720 vs $1600) but I wanted this model specifically. I would have just ponied up the extra coin for a 4090 if I couldn't get the $1k model seeing as $1150 is nipping at the original MSRP of the 4080 normal. On the other hand, I do like the look of that MSI 4090 he picked up.

I remember grabbing an EVGA 1080Ti the same way. Checking the forum for when they were going to drop, then doing the F5 refresh about every 60 seconds 😄

• Thumb Up 3

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

On 2/1/2024 at 1:53 PM, tps3443 said:

4 hours ago, electrosoft said:

What system are we talking about? Was it this ITX board?

• Thumb Up 1