NotebookTalk

Clevo P775DM3-MXM to PCIEx16 GPU Adapter Mod Project!

zex4

On 6/9/2023 at 3:54 PM, MR007RM said:

I'm not an expert on the subject. You have to look for an 870 bios version. It's just that someone has it, and it will apply if you need it. I can also ask my friends about it.

Basically, you don't need a Dsanke bios for the P870xx. The RTX30xx series also works with the normal bios, you just have to do a few more steps during the driver installation.

On 6/9/2023 at 3:01 PM, cmgver said:

Hey buddy I am new to the forum and I am amazed with what you are doing with these laptops. Could you spare a few minutes and share a crash guide on how to use the adapter and hook the 3080 ti card? also where can I unlock my bios? I am reading everything I can find to digest where to begin. I have a P870TM1 board. Thank you!!!

Maybe cuz of the 2 MXM slots you are able to put a budget GTX 1060 card in the master slot, and the second slot can accpet the PCIe adapter so You didnt loose the internal LCD without the edp converter. I'm just thinking about it nothing more. If this is the case and its works, the cheaper version is a 870DM with 9xx card , bios mod to accept 8-9 gen cpu and you will be able to use the adapter in the same methood.

18 hours ago, Developer79 said:

Good to hear! I have solved my solution for the screen as original internally. Thus, the desktop cards are connected directly via the internal display.

👍

I'm not a technical genius. If there was such a solution for me internally I would buy it, but that's why I'm not changing laptops. If the VGA is external, then the display can also be external. I use the laptop on a table and with a large monitor, I don't carry it, it is put down in one place. It is very important to me that the driver loads like on a desktop computer.

18 hours ago, Developer79 said:

Basically, you don't need a Dsanke bios for the P870xx. The RTX30xx series also works with the normal bios, you just have to do a few more steps during the driver installation.

Yes, someone asked me that, good to know. 😀

11 hours ago, MR007RM said:

I'm not a technical genius. If there was such a solution for me internally I would buy it, but that's why I'm not changing laptops. If the VGA is external, then the display can also be external. I use the laptop on a table and with a large monitor, I don't carry it, it is put down in one place. It is very important to me that the driver loads like on a desktop computer.

I can understand your solution and the opposition you have! Yes, in fact you have to have a deeper understanding of technology and physics to realize such solutions as mine. I am actually engineer or physicist but also always interested human being and Hobbyist! You also need CAD experience for such solutions if you develop everything yourself. I had the idea for the solution some years ago. Now everything is already developed in the 2nd version and I just have the boards manufactured. You also have to think about how to supply a desktop graphics card in the notebook with voltage if you do everything internally, etc.! The routing of PCie or Hdmi or Displayport you have to consider everything:-)

• 1 month later...

Thank you for sharing some success stories with the mxm-pcie adapter. Just wondering, does this setup have sleep/hibernate issues? ie. eGPU doesn't recover after waking up the laptop from sleep/hibernate for a period of time. 

Hey everyone 

I am using this adapter for a year now...actually It works flawless but the only problem I have is that the laptop goes to sleep mode from itself regardless what gpu/windows I am using...it happens very very rarely...also regardless I am surfing,gaming,or on idle..I could not find the issue that causes this...otherwise you can go of course to sleep/hibernate when you want...It will have no problems with recovering etc...

On 7/31/2023 at 8:25 PM, zex4 said:

Hey everyone 

I am using this adapter for a year now...actually It works flawless but the only problem I have is that the laptop goes to sleep mode from itself regardless what gpu/windows I am using...it happens very very rarely...also regardless I am surfing,gaming,or on idle..I could not find the issue that causes this...otherwise you can go of course to sleep/hibernate when you want...It will have no problems with recovering etc...

Thanks mate. I didn't expect that you are still monitoring this post. Good to know that it works on clevo machine. I have tried this adapter on Zbook 15 g2 and Dell Precision M6700 with optimus enabled and UEFI boot mode only. I have tried two GPUs, 750TI and GTX980.

For 750TI, the sleep/hibernate function works if I disable the gpu before putting laptop to sleep/hibernate. Putting the laptop to sleep/hibernate overnight will break the initialization of the gpu with the gpu detected as 3D video controller under other devices.

For GTX980,  I got BSOD after waking the laptops from sleep and I also tried disabling the gpu from device manager before putting the laptop to sleep but I got BSOD after re-enabling the gpu. Hibernate seemed to work for a while if I disable the gpu first before proceeding to hibernate but putting laptop to hibernate over night also breaks the initialization of gpu.

I haven't had an occurrence where the laptop will randomly go to sleep when I am using this adapter. I have been using it for gaming and Topaz video AI for video upscaling. Gaming is so far stable but I had a BSOD when using Topaz video AI last night, suggesting driver issues.  

The NVIDIA driver versions I have tried are 391.35 and 536.67. Just putting my finding here, in case, anyone finds this useful or happens to have a solution to this problem.