NotebookTalk

Official Clevo X170SM-G Thread

electrosoft

19 hours ago, Bidelloman said:

No throttlestop then? So you always sit on high power limits..I also considered this but I occasionally like changing profiles ( power saving, quiet) and not in the bios which is slower.

That is correct. No throttlestop for me, and I always sit on the highest power limit available unless I know I'm going to be on battery power for a while. I have the power limits maxed out and run the laptop at full throttle. The unified heatsink can handle a combined load of 440 watts indefinitely without ever causing any part to thermal throttle. I can do 5.3 GHz all core on my 10900K in this laptop while gaming, even in very CPU intensive games. The super 10900K I have in my desktop was able to do 5.4 GHz all core in this laptop, but I moved it to my desktop as it has a TEC that is able to get the chip to do 5.6 GHz in games.

Having said all that, I also am using liquid metal on the CPUs, so that really helps the heat transfer. The zTecpc version of this laptop has a very high quality heatsink along with the mounting pressure modifications, so all that cumulates in a significant improvement in CPU side cooling over the stock version of this laptop model. I like to max out my machines, so I overclock the crap out of all of them.

17 hours ago, MaxxD said:

I completely agree!☝️

On one machine, the obsidian remains fully and the Control panel. Taking advantage of BIOS on a Prema machine, the full fine tuning is the target water cooling. The only problem now is that during the delivery, the zTecpc X170 is the fixed screw (non spring) heatsink fixation with one heel of 2080 Super) is broken and the other corner is cracked, so it cannot be used.😔

/I made the pictures myself with the help of a digital microscope/

The broken corner is visible to the naked eye! I'm a repair technician, so it wasn't difficult to find out the error. The GPU chip is available with eBay and can be replaced with a fineplacer or free hand. (It's not worth it for me!)😌

rtx2080s_scrap_gpu_chip_04.jpg.e9371d49ce284afbc862c98125ad7b4d.jpg

rtx2080s_scrap_gpu_chip_05.jpg.9fbdd49a054ba804f843df368d44c979.jpg

I have RTX 3080 cards, but I need to transfer the whole water to cool from the other machine so I can use the zTecpc machine. CPU, RAM, SSD, will be loaded, the PCS X170 will also be appropriate with the I5 CPU with RTX 2080 Super. It's good that the PCS machine is not a basic RTX 20xx card.🙂 This will not be a small operation and it is planned next week. Did others have a similar problem with zTecpc X170 during the (long, nearly 2,000 kilometers) transport? 🤔

I didn't have a problem with my unit, but I had to wait 3 months to get it from zTecpc (not their fault, they had trouble sourcing parts from Clevo). It was worth the wait though as this laptop is awesome! If only we had options like this for the newest model laptops.

• Thumb Up 1

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

5 hours ago, Clamibot said:

That is correct. No throttlestop for me, and I always sit on the highest power limit available unless I know I'm going to be on battery power for a while. I have the power limits maxed out and run the laptop at full throttle. The unified heatsink can handle a combined load of 440 watts indefinitely without ever causing any part to thermal throttle. I can do 5.3 GHz all core on my 10900K in this laptop while gaming, even in very CPU intensive games. The super 10900K I have in my desktop was able to do 5.4 GHz all core in this laptop, but I moved it to my desktop as it has a TEC that is able to get the chip to do 5.6 GHz in games.

Having said all that, I also am using liquid metal on the CPUs, so that really helps the heat transfer. The zTecpc version of this laptop has a very high quality heatsink along with the mounting pressure modifications, so all that cumulates in a significant improvement in CPU side cooling over the stock version of this laptop model. I like to max out my machines, so I overclock the crap out of all of them.

I didn't have a problem with my unit, but I had to wait 3 months to get it from zTecpc (not their fault, they had trouble sourcing parts from Clevo). It was worth the wait though as this laptop is awesome! If only we had options like this for the newest model laptops.

I am still considering the 3 screw mod ztec implemented..but I assume they did pressure analysis.

Rest I did too, delid and all. My thing was, well, I like my eardrums to work once in a while and those custom fans work great but if they go full ham all the time when I am studying for instance...plus I noticed pch temperature is much higher on average on performance profile, should probably put a pad or something

11 hours ago, Clamibot said:

The unified heatsink can handle a combined load of 440 watts indefinitely without ever causing any part to thermal throttle. 

zTecpc version of this laptop has a very high quality heatsink along with the mounting pressure modifications, so all that cumulates in a significant improvement in CPU side cooling over the stock version of this laptop model.

What exactly do you mean by radiator modifications for handling a combined load of 440 wats and do I understand correctly that this may be applicable to the x170km model as well?

10 hours ago, crz said:

What exactly do you mean by radiator modifications for handling a combined load of 440 wats and do I understand correctly that this may be applicable to the x170km model as well?

See this folder on @Mr. Fox's google drive. I imagine these mods would help on the X170KM-G as well.

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

On 6/2/2024 at 7:16 AM, MaxxD said:

I completely agree!☝️

On one machine, the obsidian remains fully and the Control panel. Taking advantage of BIOS on a Prema machine, the full fine tuning is the target water cooling. The only problem now is that during the delivery, the zTecpc X170 is the fixed screw (non spring) heatsink fixation with one heel of 2080 Super) is broken and the other corner is cracked, so it cannot be used.😔

/I made the pictures myself with the help of a digital microscope/

The broken corner is visible to the naked eye! I'm a repair technician, so it wasn't difficult to find out the error. The GPU chip is available with eBay and can be replaced with a fineplacer or free hand. (It's not worth it for me!)😌

rtx2080s_scrap_gpu_chip_04.jpg.e9371d49ce284afbc862c98125ad7b4d.jpg

rtx2080s_scrap_gpu_chip_05.jpg.9fbdd49a054ba804f843df368d44c979.jpg

I have RTX 3080 cards, but I need to transfer the whole water to cool from the other machine so I can use the zTecpc machine. CPU, RAM, SSD, will be loaded, the PCS X170 will also be appropriate with the I5 CPU with RTX 2080 Super. It's good that the PCS machine is not a basic RTX 20xx card.🙂 This will not be a small operation and it is planned next week. Did others have a similar problem with zTecpc X170 during the (long, nearly 2,000 kilometers) transport? 🤔

Someone made a huge mistake to use this washer screw solution because he broke the gpu chip corner. It is outrageous that anyone does it!🤔

zTecpc Technical Support confirmed that they also fitted the Clevo X170SM-G version with a spring factory screw.😔

◄►Clevo® X170SM-G + AIO Water SystemWin10 & 11 x64 Pro "Dual Boot" System◄►+ Pioneer®BDR-209EBK + RaidSonic®ICY BOX IB-550STU3S►LG®OLED55C9PLA "4K" 120Hz G-Sync 1MS►HP®DeskJet GT 5820 (X3B09A)◄►*.*

5 hours ago, MaxxD said:

Someone made a huge mistake to use this washer screw solution because he broke the gpu chip corner. It is outrageous that anyone does it!🤔

zTecpc Technical Support confirmed that they also fitted the Clevo X170SM-G version with a spring factory screw.😔

agreed on this, it also bends the vapor chamber if you are not careful, stock spring screws from clevo plus a couple of washers help enough

11 hours ago, Clamibot said:

See this folder on @Mr. Fox's google drive. I imagine these mods would help on the X170KM-G as well.

I didn't think there was such a detailed description aimed at improving this cooling system used in these laptops. Your results at 5.3GHz across all cores really look promising. However, of course everyone really needs to be careful not to bend the cooling system and damage the gpu chip due to increased pressure.

Does anyone know if zTecpc also sold the x170km model with or without any modifications to the cooling system or something else?

@Clamibot, what temperatures range do you have at 5.3 GHz at constant load?

7 hours ago, crz said:

Does anyone know if zTecpc also sold the x170km model with or without any modifications to the cooling system or something else?

@Clamibot, what temperatures range do you have at 5.3 GHz at constant load?

zTecpc did not sell the X170KM-G model, only the X170SM-G model.

In Jedi Fallen Order specifically, my 10900K running at 5.3 GHz across all cores draws 220-225 watts of power and runs at around 203°F (95°C). This is with those cooling system mods from zTecpc + my delidded CPU + a full copper heatspreader from RockItCool for this CPU + liquid metal between the CPU and full copper IHS + liquid metal between the IHS and seatsink + max fan speed. I use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut as my liquid metal of choice.

For kicks and giggles, I tried that other very well binned 10900K I have and ran it at 5.4 GHz across all cores in this laptop. The results were similar as above in Jedi Fallen Order. I tried a Cinebench R15 run at that speed and the CPU drew 275 watts and immediately thermal throttled. These speeds across all cores work well for gaming but maybe not necessarily productivity workloads. The temperatures and power draws will depend on your workloads, but this is a good idea of what you can expect in CPU intensive games when you try maxing out the CPU speeds.

The maximum amount of power I seem to be able to push indefinitely through the CPU without thermal throttling in this laptop is around 225 watts with all these mods. You'll also need a well binned chip if you want to see these speeds and not thermal throttle.

• Thanks 1

@Clamibot Thank you for the detailed information, 225W without thermal throttling and in combined load is really something incredible, especially considering that this is a laptop. Of course, I understand that a lot definitely depends also on the specific successful processor chip unit and I am very glad that you managed to get it as well as your final current results of a frequency up to 5.3 GHz for all cores. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 11:34 PM, Clamibot said:

What should you turn on to make the Prema BIOS X170SM-G machine smoothly carry the RTX 3080 card? I haven't looked at the bios yet, but I'll look over it! 😃

I fixed the zTecpc machine today. Cooling trash, gpu (RTX 2080 Super) trash, screws trash...there are a few more things.

The transport company could be football for the package ... and it was sent as a fragile package and insurance.

376600_ksphvdnjarkhbjxo_img_20240605_131

It received aqueous cooling and I9-10900K was put in.

Memory is also 2x16GB.

SSD is 4x2tb and then...3080 I hope you will go under a basic Prema BIOS!

376600_zurjxrzxrxazhvci_img_20240605_125

376600_lahshmtfhaooizv2_img_20240605_132

376600_z08abspmvpx7eopy_img_20240605_130

◄►Clevo® X170SM-G + AIO Water SystemWin10 & 11 x64 Pro "Dual Boot" System◄►+ Pioneer®BDR-209EBK + RaidSonic®ICY BOX IB-550STU3S►LG®OLED55C9PLA "4K" 120Hz G-Sync 1MS►HP®DeskJet GT 5820 (X3B09A)◄►*.*

31 minutes ago, MaxxD said:

What should you turn on to make the Prema BIOS X170SM-G machine smoothly carry the RTX 3080 card? I haven't looked at the bios yet, but I'll look over it! 😃

I fixed the zTecpc machine today. Cooling trash, gpu (RTX 2080 Super) trash, screws trash...there are a few more things.

The transport company could be football for the package ... and it was sent as a fragile package and insurance.

376600_ksphvdnjarkhbjxo_img_20240605_131

It received aqueous cooling and I9-10900K was put in.

Memory is also 2x16GB.

SSD is 4x2tb and then...3080 I hope you will go under a basic Prema BIOS!

376600_zurjxrzxrxazhvci_img_20240605_125

376600_lahshmtfhaooizv2_img_20240605_132

376600_z08abspmvpx7eopy_img_20240605_130

Mod the nvcvig.inf drivers for your hardware ID and install them in safe mode. Use nvcleanstall which is much better than stock ones.

Pfudaniel used nv_dispig and inserted the hw id address into the 3080 @ 2206 if I recall, should work the same.

In theory being ztec with prema it should have gsync and dynamic boost working, without the damn sleep issue that is plaguing me.

29 minutes ago, Bidelloman said:

Mod the nvcvig.inf drivers for your hardware ID and install them in safe mode. Use nvcleanstall which is much better than stock ones.

Pfudaniel used nv_dispig and inserted the hw id address into the 3080 @ 2206 if I recall, should work the same.

In theory being ztec with prema it should have gsync and dynamic boost working, without the damn sleep issue that is plaguing me.

I thought it was going to go and no need to change. BIOS As I watched it is good, you will change.🤔

376600_jpifjmogsutbwkel_img_20240605_175

376600_puyu4pgdg6kqywwx_img_20240605_180

This bios is much better than the factory closed... ☝️✌️😉

I would not change a thing and first check out how it works if you let it run as is.

I seem to remember that the Prema bios works with the 3080 out of the box so had bad luck with shipping but now you have very good luck with your bios 😄

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 1610ftw said:

I would not change a thing and first check out how it works if you let it run as is.

I seem to remember that the Prema bios works with the 3080 out of the box so had bad luck with shipping but now you have very good luck with your bios 😄

It does not install driver correctly on its own. Not in the cases thus far listed with 3 different sets of bios+EC

Yeah sorry, meant the bios of course. As you said NVcleanstall will hopefully do the trick in windows.

It would also be interesting to check Linux performance - probably working out of the box without any tricks.

@MaxxD Someone reported that the support for the RTX 3-series cards works with the bios from Prema right out of the box, it is likely that this may not be entirely true, please check whether the card is working at full power with a turbo boost of up to 165 watts and what's there with G-Sync.

2 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Do I make a default setting in BIOS? Do you think? 🤔😁

376600_r15f5wgnlybap8ab_img_20240605_205

2 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Yeah sorry, meant the bios of course. As you said NVcleanstall will hopefully do the trick in windows.

It would also be interesting to check Linux performance - probably working out of the box without any tricks.

Unfortunately, I don't know the operation to do all the time!😌 Complicated?🤗🤭

19 minutes ago, MaxxD said:

Do I make a default setting in BIOS? Do you think? 🤔😁

376600_r15f5wgnlybap8ab_img_20240605_205

I would definitely do that, who knows what the seller did with the bios. If his bios skills were as good as his packaging skills...

You may also want to check what @Pfudaniel did as he also has the Prema bios and the 3080 and it seems his system works fine.

32 minutes ago, MaxxD said:

Unfortunately, I don't know the operation to do all the time!😌 Complicated?🤗🤭

Nah, if you do not use it already I would not bother for now.

If you want to play with it later you can easily use ventoy with a bunch of linux isos and give them a whirl, very easy:

Works on a pen drive but also on an external SSD.

• Thumb Up 1

1 hour ago, 1610ftw said:

I would definitely do that, who knows what the seller did with the bios. If his bios skills were as good as his packaging skills...

You may also want to check what @Pfudaniel did as he also has the Prema bios and the 3080 and it seems his system works fine.

Unfortunately, you don't want to be good at all.

BIOS set to Default.

I also got a modified INF file, but not good when applying. I don't know what to do anymore...

376600_zl98nbvgdsiujmwo_img_20240605_172