NotebookTalk

Official Clevo X170KM-G Thread

electrosoft

16 hours ago, Pfudaniel said:

Thanks i already was in contact to him and indeed it shud work just fine :). Thanks tho for the headsup! No gsync is fine im not to bothered for that! Im preparing myself as much i can for when it all arrives . So yeah any info is welcome to this part ofcourse🙏 thanks

I think you're set, just be careful to not overdo it with the memory timings and check that you get everything running first.

If you like it clean you could go for some kind of carbon / graphene pad for heatsink testing and positioning and later replace it with PTM7950 but any thermal paste will do if you don't mind a bit of cleanup before applying PTM7950.

17 hours ago, Pfudaniel said:

Thanks i already was in contact to him and indeed it shud work just fine :). Thanks tho for the headsup! No gsync is fine im not to bothered for that! Im preparing myself as much i can for when it all arrives . So yeah any info is welcome to this part ofcourse🙏 thanks

I'm interested in the result! I wanted to buy it too, but as I read, it's not easy to work. Hope everything will be fine. 🙏

◄►Clevo® X170SM-G + AIO Water SystemWin10 & 11 x64 Pro "Dual Boot" System◄►+ Pioneer®BDR-209EBK + RaidSonic®ICY BOX IB-550STU3S►LG®OLED55C9PLA "4K" 120Hz G-Sync 1MS►HP®DeskJet GT 5820 (X3B09A)◄►*.*

On 4/4/2024 at 11:40 AM, MaxxD said:

I'm interested in the result! I wanted to buy it too, but as I read, it's not easy to work. Hope everything will be fine. 🙏

Wil post and update asap parts have arrived! Gonne use cryosheet first and check temps. If im happy i wont replace otherwise il try ptm

On 4/4/2024 at 10:12 AM, 1610ftw said:

I think you're set, just be careful to not overdo it with the memory timings and check that you get everything running first.

If you like it clean you could go for some kind of carbon / graphene pad for heatsink testing and positioning and later replace it with PTM7950 but any thermal paste will do if you don't mind a bit of cleanup before applying PTM7950.

Thanks! Yeah im not into overclocking to much.  2x 16gig 3200 is fine for me! Il use cryosheet first if happy il leave it as it is . Otherwise ptm 🙂 

2 hours ago, Pfudaniel said:

Thanks! Yeah im not into overclocking to much.  2x 16gig 3200 is fine for me! Il use cryosheet first if happy il leave it as it is . Otherwise ptm 🙂 

Pretty sure that you will want PTM7950 for the 10900K 😄

• Haha 1

Does anyone have EC 1.07.03 or 1.07.02? I've never had a problem with my laptop randomly shutting down/rebooting in the middle of a game but I upgraded to 1.07.04TR1 from XMG this weekend and I rebooted twice today, on a fresh install of Win 11, while playing.

Yes - it is a learning experience, but does anyone happen to have a backup? Thanks in advance!

Update: Luckily I was able to find a copy of 1.07.02 that crossshot had shared on the XMG Discord server 2 years ago. Successfully reflashed and running tests now.

firmware before update.png

Edited by oduska
Found the file I needed
  • Thumb Up 1

Hello Guys, im new to the x170km just got mine as a barebone laptop. i have installed a 11700k and a 3080 but my laptops heat-sink did not have the spring screws included and am having issues finding which size they are if anyone knows please help.

On 4/12/2024 at 10:49 PM, DepressoExpresso said:

Hello Guys, im new to the x170km just got mine as a barebone laptop. i have installed a 11700k and a 3080 but my laptops heat-sink did not have the spring screws included and am having issues finding which size they are if anyone knows please help.

Try contacting clevo or any reseller. Otherwise ebay or ali

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 1:17 AM, Clamibot said:

image.png.2b0a775bd721584376ceae8126c336d4.png

Set all the zones to black, then restart your laptop and see if that helps with your issue.

If I remember correctly, when you first launch this program, it will ask you something about configuring the zones. Select D_LED1 Bottom, D_LED2 Top, and Motherboard as your zones that you'll be modifying the colors for.

Zone breakdown:

• Zone D_LED1 Bottom is the light bar at the back of the laptop.
  • Zone D_LED2 Top is the keyboard.
  • Zone Motherboard is the two lights on the sides of the laptop.

Coming back to open RGB after unsuccessful previous attempts.

Yesterday I swapped my system drive and my Clevo not only reverted back to its nasty blue default but without CCC I am not even able to switch off the keyboard lights 😞

Has anybody had success with a program like open RGB and is currently using it for per key RGB configuration?

I would really like to finally color-code some keys but at the moment the only way to do that looks to be a multi-boot system where I boot into an installation that I only keep around for setting RGB without the nasty CCC polluting my main system.

i have my clevo x170km with i711900k and 3080 but sometimes the screen goes black randomly and im not sure if its a common issue or just mine, it doesnt freeze everything in the backgrounds continues to function and make noise its just a black screen?

7 hours ago, DepressoExpresso said:

i have my clevo x170km with i711900k and 3080 but sometimes the screen goes black randomly and im not sure if its a common issue or just mine, it doesnt freeze everything in the backgrounds continues to function and make noise its just a black screen?

Mine had similar issues had the screen replaced.

On 4/25/2024 at 9:25 AM, 1610ftw said:

Coming back to open RGB after unsuccessful previous attempts.

Yesterday I swapped my system drive and my Clevo not only reverted back to its nasty blue default but without CCC I am not even able to switch off the keyboard lights 😞

Has anybody had success with a program like open RGB and is currently using it for per key RGB configuration?

I would really like to finally color-code some keys but at the moment the only way to do that looks to be a multi-boot system where I boot into an installation that I only keep around for setting RGB without the nasty CCC polluting my main system.

OK, so the best way to handle keyboard lights for me is to boot from an external drive and set the lights there via CCC.

It will then be saved to bios but the downside is that nothing can be done any more with the keyboard lights from then, I cannot even switch off the keybaord lights. Tested with both the X170KM-G and X170SM-G

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 2:06 AM, electrosoft said:

I had not seen your post, until now that I am going through this thread. And funny enough, I just bought one of those the day before yesterday, and I am currently waiting for it to arrive --- well, it'll arrive at my sister's home in El Paso, TX, as I live just across the border into Mexico, in Juarez, Chihuahua (and by the way, yes, it's the name of a dog breed, but for some reason it's also the name of the Mexican state where the city is located --- I have no idea why the name is the same, as they're supposed to come from two completely different Native languages).

The sellers of the computer don't deliver into Mexico, and also the import duties are sky high. We'll figure out how my sister is going to bring it over to me sometime later, and yes I am admitting to trying to evade the large import tax, but we'll see how that goes -- the medium sized sales tax in Texas was unavoidable, though.

As a side note, I have a MSI GT72 from 2015, which has thoroughly gone through major "surgery" to keep it going, even to the point of "lobotomizing" it with a substitute motherboard when the original one started having issues, and an aftermarket GPU upgrade to a GTX 1070, and though it still holds it own, it will not support transitioning to Windows 11 (of which I am NOT a fan, but I need it to be able to keep gaming without issues). I'm also using it to do some condensed matter physics simulations, but a beefier computer I can carry to and from work would be aces. I will later turn the GT72 into a Linux machine, as I am certain I can still extract a few more years of use from it.

I will then let everyone know how it goes with the new machine. By the way, does anyone know if the Origin EON17-X from 2021 (the model in the listing) has the two SODIMM slots below the keyboard disabled or removed? If it can support the four RAM slots that would be the icing on the cake, as I will likely need a decent amount of memory for the number crunching I need to do for my physics research (I'm a prof at a university here in Juarez).

• Bump 1

1 hour ago, giltheone said:

I had not seen your post, until now that I am going through this thread. And funny enough, I just bought one of those the day before yesterday, and I am currently waiting for it to arrive --- well, it'll arrive at my sister's home in El Paso, TX, as I live just across the border into Mexico, in Juarez, Chihuahua (and by the way, yes, it's the name of a dog breed, but for some reason it's also the name of the Mexican state where the city is located --- I have no idea why the name is the same, as they're supposed to come from two completely different Native languages).

The sellers of the computer don't deliver into Mexico, and also the import duties are sky high. We'll figure out how my sister is going to bring it over to me sometime later, and yes I am admitting to trying to evade the large import tax, but we'll see how that goes -- the medium sized sales tax in Texas was unavoidable, though.

As a side note, I have a MSI GT72 from 2015, which has thoroughly gone through major "surgery" to keep it going, even to the point of "lobotomizing" it with a substitute motherboard when the original one started having issues, and an aftermarket GPU upgrade to a GTX 1070, and though it still holds it own, it will not support transitioning to Windows 11 (of which I am NOT a fan, but I need it to be able to keep gaming without issues). I'm also using it to do some condensed matter physics simulations, but a beefier computer I can carry to and from work would be aces. I will later turn the GT72 into a Linux machine, as I am certain I can still extract a few more years of use from it.

I will then let everyone know how it goes with the new machine. By the way, does anyone know if the Origin EON17-X from 2021 (the model in the listing) has the two SODIMM slots below the keyboard disabled or removed? If it can support the four RAM slots that would be the icing on the cake, as I will likely need a decent amount of memory for the number crunching I need to do for my physics research (I'm a prof at a university here in Juarez).

The X170KM-G should have the same number of memory slots (4 slots) as the X170SM-G. I don't think any vendor specific models would change this, so you should have the same memory expandability.

• Thumb Up 1

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

5 hours ago, Clamibot said:

The X170KM-G should have the same number of memory slots (4 slots) as the X170SM-G. I don't think any vendor specific models would change this, so you should have the same memory expandability.

Thank you for your reply! I take it that the manual for the X170KM-G should be a useful guide for the EON17-X from 2021?

As you can see, I haven't received the computer and I'm already thinking of upgrading the RAM, but it really has to do with using as many cores for numerical calculations, and since what I do requires a decent amount of RAM for every core used, a large amount of memory is really a necessity --- 16 GB is probably enough for most games I have, so that's not really a problem, but I don't think having more RAM will hurt either. I did read in the thread that there may be a problem when using 3200 MHz memory on all four slots, but that really shouldn't be a problem, as 2933 MHz is plenty fast. We'll see how it goes.

EDIT: Well, I found the Sager NP9672M manual, but it is of rather limited use. Helpful, yes, but I think the thread here has a lot more information than the manual.

On 5/23/2024 at 12:03 AM, giltheone said:

Thank you for your reply! I take it that the manual for the X170KM-G should be a useful guide for the EON17-X from 2021?

As you can see, I haven't received the computer and I'm already thinking of upgrading the RAM, but it really has to do with using as many cores for numerical calculations, and since what I do requires a decent amount of RAM for every core used, a large amount of memory is really a necessity --- 16 GB is probably enough for most games I have, so that's not really a problem, but I don't think having more RAM will hurt either. I did read in the thread that there may be a problem when using 3200 MHz memory on all four slots, but that really shouldn't be a problem, as 2933 MHz is plenty fast. We'll see how it goes.

EDIT: Well, I found the Sager NP9672M manual, but it is of rather limited use. Helpful, yes, but I think the thread here has a lot more information than the manual.

That is correct. The EON17-X is an X170KM-G, so the manual for the X170KM-G will be a good guide for the system.

From what I've seen, you cannot run 3200 MHz memory in all 4 slots, only if you populate 2 of them. You'll be capped at 2933 MHz for all 4 slots.

• Thumb Up 2

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

Hi everyone, a few months ago I installed Linux on my Origin EON17-X and all works well except for the fingerprint sensor. I do understand that the sensor drivers will likely never be available for Linux and that's okay with me. My issue is that my touchpad (by looking at mouse pointer) now randomly freezes while I am using it. The way I can get the pointer to move again is by running my finger across the fingerprint sensor repeatedly, until the point moves. I have to do this every 20-30 minutes.

I have thought of disabling the finger print sensor but all instructions/guides I can find online have commands that are not working on my system. In any case, I figured that someone here might have a better solution to this issue. If anyone here knows of a solution, where you know some kind of driver that works or a way to turn off the fingerprint sensor altogether, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, my sister delivered the EON17-X --- she brought it with her when she came in for some family celebration which I couldn't attend, so she didn't give it to me directly, rather gave it to our mother, who later brought it to me, that's why I'm posting rather late. I still haven't turned it on, I've just checked the exterior of the machine, and the accessories. I will get back to describe how it goes after I fire it up a bit later today.

But one thing is important to note: this thing DOES NOT WEIGH 8.38 pounds. I have an old GT72, that one weighs 8.49 pounds, and it is MUCH LIGHTER. I think the specs they report are wrong: the computer feels more like 8.38 kilos. It's very heavy. Also, each of the two power bricks also feels like more than a kilo -- closer to two kilograms each, really.

Other than that, it looks absolutely beautiful. My back's going to hurt to carry this in my backpack, but I am loving the thing, and as I said, I haven't even seen it working. I think I will have to buy a carrying case with wheels if I want to use it both at home and at work, which is fine by me.

• Thumb Up 1

5 hours ago, giltheone said:

Well, my sister delivered the EON17-X --- she brought it with her when she came in for some family celebration which I couldn't attend, so she didn't give it to me directly, rather gave it to our mother, who later brought it to me, that's why I'm posting rather late. I still haven't turned it on, I've just checked the exterior of the machine, and the accessories. I will get back to describe how it goes after I fire it up a bit later today.

But one thing is important to note: this thing DOES NOT WEIGH 8.38 pounds. I have an old GT72, that one weighs 8.49 pounds, and it is MUCH LIGHTER. I think the specs they report are wrong: the computer feels more like 8.38 kilos. It's very heavy. Also, each of the two power bricks also feels like more than a kilo -- closer to two kilograms each, really.

Other than that, it looks absolutely beautiful. My back's going to hurt to carry this in my backpack, but I am loving the thing, and as I said, I haven't even seen it working. I think I will have to buy a carrying case with wheels if I want to use it both at home and at work, which is fine by me.

Congratulations and yes it is quite heavy!

It is more like 4.5kg / 10 lbs for the laptop and about 2.2 kg / 5 lbs for the power supplies and it will make for one heavy backpack / carrying case 😄

• Thumb Up 1

On 5/25/2024 at 12:52 AM, Clamibot said:

That is correct. The EON17-X is an X170KM-G, so the manual for the X170KM-G will be a good guide for the system.

From what I've seen, you cannot run 3200 MHz memory in all 4 slots, only if you populate 2 of them. You'll be capped at 2933 MHz for all 4 slots.

128GB with 4 memory slots @ 3200 works in both the SM-G and KM-G as long as you use a 10850K or 10900K and Samsung memory.

I am sure other CPUs will work, too - just don't use Rocket Lake 😄

image.png.4e2e33554239bda849c2f34574fd9a94.png

image.png.08f5aa06f882b70d7069b683ccb44c94.png

And yes, timings are probably not up to the standards of our resident overclockers but for me it is more important to have 128GB running in a system that is completely stable, no need for further experimentation.

• Thumb Up 3

@1610ftw well, the computer by itself, without the power bricks, weighs a lot more than my old MSI GT72, which I know for a fact weighs about 3.8kg. I was expecting them to be about equal in that aspect, but the EON17-X I got (the model from 2021, in case someone in the future references this thread) feels a substantial amount heavier than the GT72. It definitely feels it's more than 4.5 kilos; the laptop feels dense, lots of mass in a low volume.

As for the CPU, it came with the i9-11900K, so I'm "stuck" with Rocket Lake for now --- I'm not really complaining, I'm more or less fine if I can get "only" 64 GB on two slots, but if I decide to use the four slots for 128 GB, I'm satisfied with them running at 2933 MHz. Other than gaming, for what I intend to use it (some number crunching with parallelized code using several cores), the difference between 2933 and 3200 MHz should not be that much (at least not with the specific codes I intend to run). Like you, stability is more important than overclocking: I need to trust the numerical results I get, and I need to make sure the code runs to completion and not have the system flake out midway through a calculation. I am curious, however, since I am seeing 64 GB (2x32) of Kingston Fury 3200 MHz RAM on Amazon, to know if that memory may work with the notebook, even if it downclocks to 2933 MHz.

Of course, some Comet Lakes with 10 cores sound appealing, but if I'm not mistaken I cannot use the four M.2 slots with Comet Lake, and I do need a lot of storage: I have a LOT of games and other software. Granted, I don't play all the games I have, but I just don't want to be installing and uninstalling them if I feel I want to play a specific one I've backed up and erased, and I do have other stuff, which does take a bit of space. Well, who am I kidding? Most of my storage is games. The thing is that I have about 6 TB of drive space in my GT72, and I'm using a large portion of that, so I want something of the same size plus the operating system on my new notebook, so I am pretty certain I want to use the four SSD slots.

Thank you very much for your reply, and the useful info you've shared. I do appreciate it.

I checked my notes and in fact I weighed my X170KM-G at 4.6 kg, same as the MSI GT75 but a lot denser as the GT75 is wider and thicker than the X170 chassis.

Yes in another display of impressive stupidity after their first brilliant decision to always require two power supplies Clevo also made sure that the 4th slot would only work with a Rocket lake CPU.

You can however add a 4th SSD in the place of the Wifi card under the keyboard - this is what I did to get a 4th drive. Got myself a 2TB 2230 drive from WD, the only available 2TB TLC drive at the time:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/wd-black-sn770m-2-tb/

Top speed is about double SATA speed at around 800 to 900 but it still feels snappy like an SSD should.

The GT72 is a rarity as the later models can take up to 6 drives which is completely unheard of today where we can be lucky if we get 4 m.2 slots in selected workstations.

I have only ever used this Samsung memory so unfortunately I cannot help you with the Kingston memory but from what I remember it was said that 2933 should be fine and with tighter timings that come with it the effective speed should be about the same. I would first go for 2 x 32GB and only if needed you can later add another 64GB.

• Thumb Up 1

There's a funny thing... I am updating and starting to configure things to my liking on the EON17-X, and as I ran CPU-z, it said the memory it came with, 16 GB (2x8GB), is running in single channel, using slots 1 and 2 --- it should be 1 and 3 for dual channel... maybe these guys installed one RAM stick on either side of the motherboard? I would assume that the slots on one side would correspond each to one separate channel, as it is with my GT72, the easily accessible slots are channels 1 and 3, and the more difficult ones on the other side of the motherboard are 2 and 4.

And by the way, I have 5 SSDs on my old MSI (one of them is a 2.5 inch sata drive, the others are M2). The optical drive caddy can be changed to another sata drive, but I wanted a Blu Ray player instead of the original DVD it came with, so that's why I only have 5 drives, heh-heh 😁

1 hour ago, giltheone said:

There's a funny thing... I am updating and starting to configure things to my liking on the EON17-X, and as I ran CPU-z, it said the memory it came with, 16 GB (2x8GB), is running in single channel, using slots 1 and 2 --- it should be 1 and 3 for dual channel... maybe these guys installed one RAM stick on either side of the motherboard? I would assume that the slots on one side would correspond each to one separate channel, as it is with my GT72, the easily accessible slots are channels 1 and 3, and the more difficult ones on the other side of the motherboard are 2 and 4.

And by the way, I have 5 SSDs on my old MSI (one of them is a 2.5 inch sata drive, the others are M2). The optical drive caddy can be changed to another sata drive, but I wanted a Blu Ray player instead of the original DVD it came with, so that's why I only have 5 drives, heh-heh 😁

Very easy to open the Clevo so you can just have a look where the memory is installed. A big advantage over the MSI is that you can also get to the other side of the motherboard with ease, you only have to take out two screws that hold the keyboard and then it is very easy to push up the keyboard.

The GT72 and the X170 are quite similar in so far that I usually do not like to screw on the bottom cover as it is not necessary for it to stay in place. The cover of the GT72 is less flimsy though, with the X170 bottom cover you have to be a bit careful.

And 5 drives and a BD drive is really cool - you made the most out of it 🙂

• Thumb Up 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Very easy to open the Clevo so you can just have a look where the memory is installed. A big advantage over the MSI is that you can also get to the other side of the motherboard with ease, you only have to take out two screws that hold the keyboard and then it is very easy to push up the keyboard.

The GT72 and the X170 are quite similar in so far that I usually do not like to screw on the bottom cover as it is not necessary for it to stay in place. The cover of the GT72 is less flimsy though, with the X170 bottom cover you have to be a bit careful.

And 5 drives and a BD drive is really cool - you made the most out of it 🙂

That's a relief to know: the GT72 required that I remove the motherboard to get to the other side. And at this moment I don't have the screws on the bottom cover -- much easiear to do maintenance that way: it's firmly in place without the screws. And yes, I've made the most of it. The original motherboard had some problems: it appears that some chips (but not the CPU) had heat damage, so I replaced the motherboard. I've extracted every bit of performance I could from it, but it hasn't always been easy.

I'll be careful with X170's cover. Right now I'm letting the battery charge, and later I'm doing some Windows update, and then I'll open the laptop. Two SODIMMs in single channel is not acceptable.

UPDATE: I removed the bottom cover, and sure enough only one SODIMM slot is populated. The other 8GB of the RAM it has are under the keyboard side. Go figure what the guys that assembled the model were thinking. But I don't know where the screws to remove the keyboard are located...

Edited by giltheone
Update with more info.