NotebookTalk

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

Etern4l

• Sad 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

8 hours ago, serpro69 said:

Sadly, that was already evident by the first draft. I'm sure they will review once the hammer of AI job destruction impacts the bloc's economy, although by that time it will likely be too little too late.

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

Interesting. Most humans would say that about a year has passed since the introduction of ChatGPT, arguably the first AI system of highly elevated public concern, and this humble thread itself is 8 months old. That said, superintelligent entities might indeed experience years, if not decades or centuries, of equivalent human thought within that nominal period of time… that’s the most charitable explanation anyway.

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

Ai was started in the 1950s generative ai has been around for ages. I personally have been using ai like Hal since 2000. Its more advanced now but with like anything time is of essence. Humans are creating ai and their will always be the human factor. I don't see why you and many others think this is new.

• Haha 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

1 hour ago, ryan said:

Ai was started in the 1950s generative ai has been around for ages. I personally have been using ai like Hal since 2000. Its more advanced now but with like anything time is of essence. Humans are creating ai and their will always be the human factor. I don't see why you and many others think this is new.

Can you provide a link where someone in this thread said that AI is something new? I don't recall there was ever an argument about that.

GitHub

Spoiler

i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160

Read just above my post. He's tacitly implying breakthrough ai has been out less than a year. All good. Was just pointing out 

Deductive reasoning is just as important as thinking. One thing I will say is if something is implied we should use our brains to figure it out

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

38 minutes ago, ryan said:

Read just above my post. He's tacitly implying breakthrough ai has been out less than a year. All good. Was just pointing out 

Deductive reasoning is just as important as thinking. One thing I will say is if something is implied we should use our brains to figure it out

I think you read/deduced it a bit incorrectly. It says "a year has passed since the introduction of ChatGPT, arguably the first AI system of highly elevated public concern", which to my knowledge is true, not "first AI system ever".

• Thumb Up 1

GitHub

Spoiler

i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160

No claim of AI being new has been made, only that its current form is new with the dawn of ChatGPT and other services of a similar nature. I would refrain from projecting intent unless you have a high degree of certainty as that can make discussions quite heated.

• Thumb Up 2

While I’m not in a position to control the bait placement, I accept the responsibility for taking it yet again lol The marginal entertainment value is hopefully there, but let’s move on - the news keeps rolling in:

Jailbroken AI Chatbots Can Jailbreak Other Chatbots

Also Google’s new multimodal Gemini model is claimed to beat GPT-4 in benchmarks, but still suffers from hallucinations (as do some people, tbf).

In other news, UK’s antitrust regulator started looking into the M$-OpenAI partnership, and the battle over EU’’s AI regs is still raging.

• Haha 1

-- Max Tegmark

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ryan said:

interesting video

Interesting, although Aysha the Broadcaster (why was she there?) confused AI and AGI, in addition to being a bit of a paid shill of the tech sector. “Regulators need private sector expertise”. Must have never heard of a conflict of interest.

Meanwhile, a horror scenario is unfolding in the TV news sector:

These AI-generated news anchors are freaking me out

• Thumb Up 1

-- Max Tegmark

Im more passive with opinions on ai being a threat, but you can't help but wonder the future of humans if AI does surpass us intellectually.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

@Etern4l any up and coming AI companies(underdog) that are developing AI. anything people should know if they are trading stocks, my next investment will be based on AI. and would you ever use AI advice on stocks, surely its just as accurate as any humans guess, everytime I ask I get(cannot give stock advice with chatGPT)

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

1 hour ago, Etern4l said:

I saw this yesterday (Japan time).....wow.....its learning stuff we didn't expect...this is the scary part! 

And this is just a glorified chatbot...how will real general AI go :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

how will it go?

similar to a game of chess, if we prepare and know the best moves in the end we will win regardless of intent. both sides intend to win, whoever plans ahead more? wait a computer can think ahead 40 billion moves? ok yeah its not going to end well

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

4 hours ago, ryan said:

how will it go?

similar to a game of chess, if we prepare and know the best moves in the end we will win regardless of intent. both sides intend to win, whoever plans ahead more? wait a computer can think ahead 40 billion moves? ok yeah its not going to end well

That (I think) is part of the problem. "We" think we are playing chess.....the AI is playing something much bigger...like Dungeons and Dragons.

• Thumb Up 1

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

The current systems don't work like chess engines (although research is in progress to move things in that direction), but the analogy is in the right ballpark.

A single "brain" is simultaneously a great doctor, graphics designer, musician, analyst, lawyer, mathematician, software engineer (crucially, this could lead to self-modification and self-replication), biologist, military commander, knows how to build any known and some unknown weapons of mass destruction etc... 

We cannot compete with entities which know everything, just like chimps and even neanderthals could not compete with us. Sure, it's not full AGI yet, and there is no great general purpose robotic shell they can use, but Altman, Hassabis, Zuckerberg, Musk, etc. are hard at work on this. Unless the effort is stopped and banned, with the activity correctly labelled as crime against humanity, they will eventually reach their nefarious greed and power lust-driven goals.

The chess analogy has another layer of depth: most humans (unlike good chess players) are very myopic, we act on impulses and tend to only really have the capacity and propensity to take care of our immediate needs. The consequence is that most people rarely think ahead, and generally struggle with long-term planning - and so are unlikely to care about this issue or see the danger coming.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

-- Max Tegmark

I was off. chess has a finite number of moves, AI does not and this is getting scary as I have the epiphany of what it will be like in 100 years or even just 2 decades from now

here is the explaination for AI on microsofts CO-PILOT

does ai work much like chess

Copy

Searching for: how does ai work

Generating answers for you…

AI works by applying logic-based techniques, such as machine learning, to interpret data, automate tasks, and complete actions with limited human intervention. AI is not exactly like chess, which has fixed rules and a finite number of possible moves. AI can learn from a variety of data sources and perform different tasks depending on the goal and the context. However, some AI systems do use chess-like algorithms to search for the best possible solution among many alternatives. For example, AlphaGo, an AI program that plays the board game Go, uses a technique called Monte Carlo tree search to evaluate the outcomes of different moves and choose the most promising one1.

If you want to learn more about how AI works, you can check out these web pages:

1: AI allows computers to learn and solve problems almost like a person. AI systems are trained on huge amounts of information and learn to identify the patterns in it, in order carry out tasks… - What is AI, how does it work and what can it be used for? - BBC

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Not an amazing response from Copilot there. Chess is a game, a problem, whereas AI refers to a class of computer algorithms and systems, some of which can be used to attempt to solve chess. What general public tends to mean by AI today, namely systems built on top of LLMs (such as Chat GPT), can actually play some chess but are not great at it. The two best chess algorithms/systems are Stockfish, which uses more of a traditional tree search approach to AI, and possibly Alpha Zero as a close contender.  The latter uses algorithms present in state of the art "modern AI".

-- Max Tegmark

an algorithm is a calculation a mathematical expression. chess can be calculated. not sure where your going with this? ill agree with AI on this one

I honestly don't know how everyones wrong, and even a non human tool with vast knowledge is wrong also, but this is getting silly. if you are smarter than just about everyone on the planet and have more knowledge than AI I suggest you get your name out there as you are the smartest human on earth!! or? the one thing alot of people with slightly above average IQs have is arrogance. as einstien said the only thing more dangerous than ignorance is arrogance

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled