NotebookTalk

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

Etern4l

Yes they say there will be safety measure in place, but every software safety measure was bypassed  one or more time in history

Safety

We’ll be taking several important safety steps ahead of making Sora available in OpenAI’s products. We are working with red teamers — domain experts in areas like misinformation, hateful content, and bias — who will be adversarially testing the model.

We’re also building tools to help detect misleading content such as a detection classifier that can tell when a video was generated by Sora. We plan to include C2PA metadata in the future if we deploy the model in an OpenAI product.

In addition to us developing new techniques to prepare for deployment, we’re leveraging the existing safety methods that we built for our products that use DALL·E 3, which are applicable to Sora as well.

• Thumb Up 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

13 minutes ago, cylix said:

Yes they say there will be safety measure in place, but every software safety measure was bypassed  one or more time in history

What would you say if asked to write the promo piece? 🙂

If you tried to share the truth and enumerated the potential concerns you would be out of the door.

Additionally, this is not the only model of this kind, and some will likely end up being open sourced soon (if they haven’t been already), meaning they can be run without any scrutiny, adapted etc.

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

14 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Additionally, this is not the only model of this kind, and some will likely end up being open sourced soon (if they haven’t been already), meaning they can be run without any scrutiny, adapted etc.

Facepoop's models are open-source, so likely we'll see a video-generation model from them soon as well.
Plus, as you say, numerous others that are open and can be self-hosted and whatnot.

So even if malicious actors can't use ClosedAI for their deeds, they still have many other available options.

BTW, didn't ClosedAI say the other day they caught a bunch of russian/chinese hackers using their models to perfect their spying capabilities? (UPD: yep, they did https://www.reuters.com/technology/cybersecurity/microsoft-says-it-caught-hackers-china-russia-iran-using-its-ai-tools-2024-02-14/ )

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

1 hour ago, serpro69 said:

Facepoop's models are open-source, so likely we'll see a video-generation model from them soon as well.
Plus, as you say, numerous others that are open and can be self-hosted and whatnot.

So even if malicious actors can't use ClosedAI for their deeds, they still have many other available options.

BTW, didn't ClosedAI say the other day they caught a bunch of russian/chinese hackers using their models to perfect their spying capabilities? (UPD: yep, they did https://www.reuters.com/technology/cybersecurity/microsoft-says-it-caught-hackers-china-russia-iran-using-its-ai-tools-2024-02-14/ )

I guess worth mentioning the obvious: Closed haven’t told us about the spies and criminals they have not caught.

And yes, Yann LeCunt and Meta are releasing/leaking their models, as do a few others, and in that case there is zero oversight, and perhaps - even more importantly from the perspective of this topic - the approach seeds/jumpstarts uncontrolled further research.

• Bump 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/17/openai-boss-sam-altman-wants-7tn-for-all-our-sakes-pray-he-doesnt-get-it

In a discussion about aggressive AI and nations fighting with nuclear weapons over scarce resources, he said: “I try not to think about it too much. But I have guns, gold, potassium iodide, antibiotics, batteries, water, gas masks from the Israel Defense Forces, and a big patch of land in Big Sur I can fly to.”

I mean, this guy is clearly a lunatic, and likely one of the most dangerous people currently alive. I wonder why no one (who could do anything about it) seems to notice this and/or care.

• Sad 1

GitHub

Spoiler

i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160

11 hours ago, serpro69 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/17/openai-boss-sam-altman-wants-7tn-for-all-our-sakes-pray-he-doesnt-get-it

I mean, this guy is clearly a lunatic, and likely one of the most dangerous people currently alive. I wonder why no one (who could do anything about it) seems to notice this and/or care.

I don’t know if there is anyone who could single-handedly do anything about it. Has he broken any laws? No, I guess there are currently no US laws against creating a technology that could wipe us from the surface of the planet, or nuclear weapons would not have been created. Could POTUS shut ClosedAI down via an executive order on national security grounds? Perhaps, but he certainly won’t.

The only hope is that the people wake up and start taking action against AI: raise the awareness, boycott the products and companies involved, and force their democratic representatives to act. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 1

-- Max Tegmark

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 3

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

12 hours ago, Eban said:

Pretty shameless and naive little AI promo clickbait attempt from M$N.  “Actually good AI sided with a human” lol

Principally, this just highlights the dangerous unpredictability of the technology, even if deployed in a commercially sensitive setting. Of course, M$N won’t be publicising any cases where the outcomes are not so beneficial to the clients.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 1

-- Max Tegmark

9 hours ago, Etern4l said:

dangerous unpredictability

getting a refund? Im missing something as usual. Not alot of talk out of 100 billion internet webpages about the dangers of AI, no one has said a specific thing they are worried about. A gun for example, one could say the bullet can kill someone. Ai will? with?

what are your concerns specifically with AI, like a bullet from a gun. will Ai become so smart it will say a few things that will cause people to go crazy?

not trolling, honest question wondering what others think about AI and the specifics

I found this a while back it goes more into what. This is more in line as to what I was thinking, but he doesn't explain in depth

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

8 minutes ago, ryan said:

getting a refund? Im missing something as usual. Not alot of talk out of 100 billion internet webpages about the dangers of AI, no one has said a specific thing they are worried about. A gun for example, one could say the bullet can kill someone. Ai will? with?

what are your concerns specifically with AI, like a bullet from a gun. will Ai become so smart it will say a few things that will cause people to go crazy?

not trolling, honest question wondering what others think about AI and the specifics

I found this a while back it goes more into what. This is more in line as to what I was thinking, but he doesn't explain in depth

As mentioned earlier on this page, the manipulation of information as well as its dissemination is a simple but chief concern in relation to AI. 

• Thumb Up 1

8 minutes ago, Reciever said:

the manipulation of information

this!

what do you mean? has manipulation ever led to more than discomfort, like do you mean like charles manson? or like a evil hypnotist doing nefarious things. I was thinking more along the lines of AI using NLP to manipulate people

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 2/20/2024 at 8:34 PM, ryan said:

this!

what do you mean? has manipulation ever led to more than discomfort, like do you mean like charles manson? or like a evil hypnotist doing nefarious things. I was thinking more along the lines of AI using NLP to manipulate people

There have been wars started over catalysts that later turned out to be false. With that precedent which was carried out in the stone age by relative comparison today then it should be fairly concerning what is to come.

• Thumb Up 1

On 2/21/2024 at 2:23 AM, Reciever said:

As mentioned earlier on this page, the manipulation of information as well as its dissemination is a simple but chief concern in relation to AI. 

Well, it's perhaps one of the most palpable and immediate concerns, however, there are many others, including: 

* Impact on jobs and broader economic consequences, such as increase in inequality

* Concentration of power in the hands of big tech

* Concerns around the impact on the human civilisation / society (e.g. the "Wall-E syndrome")

* Military applications

* Illicit use (e.g. hacking etc.)

* Geopolitical risks

* AGI / singularity amplifying the above and posing a direct existential risk

On 2/22/2024 at 10:18 PM, Reciever said:

There have been wars started over catalysts that later turned out to be false. With that precedent which was carried out in the stone age by relative comparison today then it should be fairly concerning what is to come.

Disinformation, manipulation, and misdirection are extremely powerful tools in advertising, politics etc. History is awash with examples of this, including the events leading up to WWII, as well as contemporary / current ones in quite a few Western countries (worryingly).

The temporary saving grace is that, not unlike people, the technology is unsafe due to the unpredictability.

An AI can literally go nuts... for now at least: 

ChatGPT goes temporarily “insane” with unexpected outputs, spooking users

• Thumb Up 2

-- Max Tegmark

12 hours ago, Etern4l said:

I'm actually laughing at this story! (its that or curl into a ball and hide my tears).....Large Languge Learner had a "brain fart":classic_ohmy:

Well who in this forum is surprised? How many here 100% trust their computer to always be correct?

I trust MY PC! I know in every fiber of my being, every electrical impulse, every chemical reaction of this organic brain that my pc WILL crash at some point. 

For me thats a lost web page, or unsaved work, missing files or a high score I didn't achieve....if GAI was in charge of our lives........:classic_unsure:

• Thumb Up 1

• Thumb Up 2

GitHub

Spoiler

i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160

AI is just a highly automated version of GIGO on steroids. It reflects the views (right, wrong or indifferent) of the minority programming it, not the masses that they claim will benefit from it. It will never be good as long as idiots are providing the logic it runs on. Looks like Google is having a Bud Light moment. 

GIGO is a problem. It always will be. We've known this for decades, but the agenda was business, not social re-engineering and computer-assisted brainwashing. That part is new. So is the programming being orchestrated by agenda-driven goofballs.

• Thumb Up 3

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/elon-musk-sues-openai-ceo-sam-altman-breach-contract-2024-03-01/

The one time I'm rooting for Musk to succeed in his delusions :classic_laugh: Not likely though...

• Thumb Up 1

GitHub

Spoiler

i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160

On 2/26/2024 at 10:01 AM, Eban said:

I trust MY PC! I know in every fiber of my being, every electrical impulse, every chemical reaction of this organic brain that my pc WILL crash at some point. 

That is a bit of a strawman argument because computers can be made very reliable (much more so than a Windows PC!) - those being part of aircraft avionics or spacecraft would be two prime examples

That said, AI systems are likely to suffer from of a completely new class of reliability issue, where software, which is "technically" working correctly, exhibits strange or unexpected behaviour which is not due to a bug, or hardware fault  - kind of akin to human mental illness, but - instead of being relatively rare - most if not all LLM systems today suffer from this. 

On 2/26/2024 at 4:03 PM, serpro69 said:

Yes, the injustice in this that major AI creators and other filthy rich will be the last to potentially go - or perhaps that will be their punishment. We are unlikely to be the chosen ones to be there and find out.

As for the fringe advocates, we have to be careful not to subvert the cause via silly publicity stunts. Much more of a fan of serious people doing the advocacy - naturally, they are much more likely to be taken seriously.

On 2/27/2024 at 12:09 AM, Mr. Fox said:

AI is just a highly automated version of GIGO on steroids.

To be fair, people suffer from the exact same problem. This is not easily solved, would require universal access to excellent unbiased education which is almost an oxymoron - and the terrible polarisation of our societies is one of the results. The difference is that every one of us is different, and it's not as easy to mass-produce biased humans, as it is to have an army of biased AIs (biased in whatever way the creator desires). 

• Thumb Up 1

-- Max Tegmark

1 hour ago, Etern4l said:

To be fair, people suffer from the exact same problem. This is not easily solved, would require universal access to excellent unbiased education which is almost an oxymoron - and the terrible polarisation of our societies is one of the results. The difference is that every one of us is different, and it's not as easy to mass-produce biased humans, as it is to have an army of biased AIs (biased in whatever way the creator desires). 

Agreed. And, because of that it makes AI even more dangerous than it otherwise would be. AI is not sentient, doesn't have a need to "get along" or act in a civil manner or live by the rules we (most of us) do, and should, live by. Sometimes we don't, and there are plenty of intolerant zombie human beings. Thankfully not the majority even though it feels like it sometimes due to a vocal and militant minority. AI is like an intolerant zombie human being that had no sense of decency to begin with, and then matters were made worse by having a lobotomy by a self-taught brain surgeon. It doesn't help matters knowing that those among us that are the least worthy of trust, respect and possessing the lowest standards of decency and ethics are the depraved goons feeding their skewed garbage and personal biases to the AI under the auspices of it being accurate information, wisdom or truth. 

• Thumb Up 2

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

I guess there is some good news and a rare glimmer of hope:

Public Trust In AI Is Sinking Across the Board

"When it comes to AI regulation, the public's response is pretty clear: 'What regulation?'," said Edelman global technology chair Justin Westcott. "There's a clear and urgent call for regulators to meet the public's expectations head on."

Not so great developments further on, sadly:

Teachers Are Embracing ChatGPT-Powered Grading

Spot on comment: "Pupils use ChatGPT to write the essay, then the teacher uses ChatGPT to grade it."

Reddit Will Now Use an AI Model To Fight Harassment (androidauthority.com)

Reddit decided to completely give in to the dark side: first they sold data to AI companies, now they will be running AI thought police on an already unusable echo chamber website.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Sad 1

-- Max Tegmark

5 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Public Trust In AI Is Sinking Across the Board

A small piece of good news. Hopefully it will escalate beyond distrust into rejection. I'd love to see all the companies  that are invested in it lose their financial hind ends to the extent that it makes the cryto crash and dot com busts of prior years look like child's play.

• Thumb Up 3

On 3/10/2024 at 2:11 AM, Mr. Fox said:

I'd love to see all the companies  that are invested in it lose their financial hind ends to the extent that it makes the cryto crash and dot com busts of prior years look like child's play.

Well, nvidia for one is definitely being valued like there's no tomorrow. Won't be surprised to see it take on M$ by year's end.
https://www.reuters.com/technology/nvidia-cusp-overtaking-apple-second-most-valuable-company-2024-03-08/

• Thumb Up 2

GitHub

Spoiler

i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160

9 hours ago, serpro69 said:

Well, nvidia for one is definitely being valued like there's no tomorrow. Won't be surprised to see it take on M$ by year's end.
https://www.reuters.com/technology/nvidia-cusp-overtaking-apple-second-most-valuable-company-2024-03-08/

Yeah, I would love to see every dollar made on AI totally vaporize, become a liability for all involved and every investor in AI burned.

• Bump 2

I just came across this youtube, how to run your own private chatgpt like LLM on a home pc. Feed it all your own data.

I havent even finished watching the video yet but had to share this..........still collating

• Thumb Up 2