NotebookTalk

Laptop Benchmark Thread: Post here

ryan

was curious if my 3060 could do 4k in FW. looks like it can but id have to lower a few settings due to vram...its always a vram issue these days

@Meaker @anassa @1610ftw are you guys aware of the Frame generation mod. for laughs I googled it and its a thing, you can do FG with 3k series cards and I can confirm. it doubled my horizon 5 framerates and effectively just let me skip the 4k series cards as now I have no reason to upgrade. check it out.

here's forza horizon 5 maxed at 4k on my 3060 getting 60fps average. which is insane because thats on the same level as the 3080ti desktop

Screenshot-2024-06-02-004019.png

and for FG heres the guide I used, works like a charm a must check out as alot of AAA games support this

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

yeah its pretty cool

new top score. 2155

Screenshot-2024-06-03-010809.png

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

not a fan. 20 fps and it looks meh. hard to improve scores. bah maybe in 5 years 

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

light bulbs are also gimmicky. but I dont mind this benchmark, looks pretty interesting to a degree and fairly accurate, not like im scoring the same as a desktop 3080 or something super cpu limited. came in 2nd in the light version

Screenshot-2024-06-06-211943.png

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 6/7/2024 at 5:21 AM, ryan said:

light bulbs are also gimmicky. but I dont mind this benchmark, looks pretty interesting to a degree and fairly accurate, not like im scoring the same as a desktop 3080 or something super cpu limited. came in 2nd in the light version

Screenshot-2024-06-06-211943.png

You only like it because you came in second 😉

Just kidding but for now I am not interested because 

• All my previous benchmarks were in TimeSpy.
  • Not enough scores for comparison as currently Steel Nomad DX12 has 340 scores while TimeSpy has more than 360000 - I prefer to compare with as many scores as possible.

• Haha 1

lol, just teasing you..

yeah I still prefer timespy but like the new benchmark or any benchmark that gets me 1-3rd place.

• Haha 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 1 month later...

New laptop to play with, new score.

Started out with 37K plus after a bit of tweaking but finally managed to go quite a bit higher:

That is the MSI Raider 18 HX and in this generation it looks like the best option for my needs and taste.

• Bump 1

Nice when I had my predator 16 I think I got 32000 with the i9 13900hx. Goodness yours is like 30 percent higher. Good choice going for the 4080. I managed 51k gpu in firestrike. Curious how the raider performs

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

5 minutes ago, ryan said:

Nice when I had my predator 16 I think I got 32000 with the i9 13900hx. Goodness yours is like 30 percent higher. Good choice going for the 4080. I managed 51k gpu in firestrike. Curious how the raider performs

The Predator 16 probably has inferior cooling and limited power uptake, the Raider can run the CPU with up to about 250W, it is only important to hide it from him or it will power throttle 😉

Not that this would be sustainable of course but when only a single run is needed...

So for a 10 minute run it would be about 34000.

I also tried Time Spy but it was only between 19900 and 20800 which is not that great, would have to check how much I can get in Firestrike I see you top the rankings so I will have to see if I can get you 😉

Not that total scores would be that great as the CPU needs far too much power to achieve high scores on a limited power budget. 

Just disable a few cores lol

It's cheating but anything goes.

I returned the predator but it wasn't terrible just poor cooling. Would have kept it if it regulated temps below 90c..they should release a bios update

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

The raider is one of if not the best 4080 laptops. I wanted one but they are priced too high for my budget. Your prob going to have alot of fun setting it up and benchmarking it..4080 at least the one I had was a beast

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

14 hours ago, ryan said:

The raider is one of if not the best 4080 laptops. I wanted one but they are priced too high for my budget. Your prob going to have alot of fun setting it up and benchmarking it..4080 at least the one I had was a beast

I got the Raider for the combination of looks, performance and features and I would not be surprised if its gaming performance is not that much different or slightly inferior to others based on its 4 memory slots.

Still 21K TimeSpy graphics is not too bad and the CPU performance with the stock overclocking bios is probably at the top of its class among non-modified laptops. It can be reached without any modifications, just the right settings and of course one needs a decent CPU and not a complete stinker.

Oh and I tried Firestrike and got a nice GPU score, let's just say it was a bit of a learning curve 😄

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/32069955

• Like 1

Dude that's awesome. You beat my score clean and fair...firestrike is easy, timespy I couldn't break 20 000. The Acer wasn't great. Temp issues. Honestly everyone has issues with temps on a laptop unless you get a cooler your going to be in the 80s and 90s..what are your temps, they must be high even though you laptop is effective at cooling, I'm guessing phenomenal given your scores

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

you must be busy, if I had the 4080 laptop still id be benchmarking the heck out of it and dabbling in a few games. whats your score at stable clocks? I could get 51000 to 52000 offline but it wasn't really tested for stability I didn't game at those clocks. and would you say the legion is the cheapest laptop that doesn't suck for the 4080 or was the extra for the raider worth it to you, I mean you topped firestrike how bad could it be.   Also temps are not as important as they used to be rather sustained speeds matter now, they all go as high as they can in the same thermal envelope. I was thinking of buying a legion 7 with a 4080 but its 2800-3200. seems a bit steep, I guess when gta VI comes out ill decide on a laptop. nothing right now to justify it except ratchet and clank a rift apart and cyberpunk 2077 and a few older goodies like RDR2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

16 hours ago, ryan said:

Dude that's awesome. You beat my score clean and fair...firestrike is easy, timespy I couldn't break 20 000. The Acer wasn't great. Temp issues. Honestly everyone has issues with temps on a laptop unless you get a cooler your going to be in the 80s and 90s..what are your temps, they must be high even though you laptop is effective at cooling, I'm guessing phenomenal given your scores

Firestrike seemed easy enough, temps were pretty good at 55C and 74C average but then I did not make any effort with the CPU so it could have gotten hotter. On Time Spy GPU is about 10 degrees hotter at most and I would have been able to go higher with a lower temperature as the top ranked scores are all below 60 and sometimes below 50C with the exception of the first one which I expect may be shunt-modded. You did well to get that far with the Acer as its cooling is let's say limited.

I NEVER have gamed on any of my laptops, my sole interest is in CPU performance and other features and the GPU usually comes with the territory when one wants a high performing CPU 🙂

Yes, pretty busy here, need to test performance with W10 vs W11, hope it still works out for W10 with proper E-Core integration. I like the MSI but it was a choice of necessity as once I had a closer look at my checklist that is topped by 18", good accessibility and 3 SSDs it was only two MSI laptops. The Alienware M18 could have been a candidate but it has an inverted motherboard that is not easily accessible and I am not a fan of such a design.

If 2 memory slots, 16" and 2 SSDs do it for you then there is probably a great deal to be had on some 4080 Lenovo laptop - they seem to be pretty solid and I like their keyboard layout.

Stability is an issue of course and my regular setup is so that I achieve about 2150 in CB R23 single core and around 34000 in multicore, that runs cooler and performance is still great.

• Thumb Up 1

Yeah I have to force myself to play games other than racers. Have you been able to crack 40 000

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 7/29/2024 at 10:40 PM, ryan said:

Yeah I have to force myself to play games other than racers. Have you been able to crack 40 000

Haha, it is strange how some us us seem to like benching more than gaming 😄

My kids on the other hand are gaming A LOT and almost never bench.

Nah, no cracking of 40000 - the Raider misbehaves at the moment, must have installed something that limits me to a lower power envelope which means about 34K CB R23 max. Of course 34K at is good enough for work but still disappointing when I could easily get over 38K without too much of an effort. For all I know it may have something to do with the install of the 3Dmark suite but I do not have that much free time on my hands at the moment to check it and the first order of the day is to get W10 up and running in the way I want.

• Thumb Up 1

W10 might be the rub. Good chance your scores will go up. You could try limiting tdp with throttlestop. Just mess with it and experiment with 10w up or down. Pity chips after 11th gen are locked down! If your really in the mood llano has a pretty good cooler claiming guaranteed 40c lower temps ha. My problem is my tablet won't crack 5700 in wildlife! Yep true bencher, I would benchmark a toaster if I could haha. I'm finding my tablets snap dragon 888 is ten percent faster than my cell phones 888 but with the tablet I get artifacting in AnTuTu 3d bench.. also some weird app reset closing glitch one every so often! Debating on exchange I have 1 day to decide go figure get a micro SD card a sleeve a anker charger and I have to return it potentially! Like 300 loss. Might just see if I can troubleshoot it I love this thing. Really weird in a good way seeing true 3d like hologram coming from a reasonably priced tablet. If the 3rd gen wasn't 2500 I'd jump on that but I hate to burst the companies ego, it's cool but not 2500 mula cool..

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 7/31/2024 at 10:04 AM, ryan said:

W10 might be the rub. Good chance your scores will go up. You could try limiting tdp with throttlestop. Just mess with it and experiment with 10w up or down. Pity chips after 11th gen are locked down! If your really in the mood llano has a pretty good cooler claiming guaranteed 40c lower temps ha. My problem is my tablet won't crack 5700 in wildlife! Yep true bencher, I would benchmark a toaster if I could haha. I'm finding my tablets snap dragon 888 is ten percent faster than my cell phones 888 but with the tablet I get artifacting in AnTuTu 3d bench.. also some weird app reset closing glitch one every so often! Debating on exchange I have 1 day to decide go figure get a micro SD card a sleeve a anker charger and I have to return it potentially! Like 300 loss. Might just see if I can troubleshoot it I love this thing. Really weird in a good way seeing true 3d like hologram coming from a reasonably priced tablet. If the 3rd gen wasn't 2500 I'd jump on that but I hate to burst the companies ego, it's cool but not 2500 mula cool..

W10 has been used for that bench already but I need to figure out if I want to use W10 or W11 going forward for my working system.

I would prefer W10 but I am having issues with HyperV causing a BSOD on W10 after installation, got to look into that.

Another alternative might be W11 LTSC as it should disable many of those new upcoming features. On one hand I would like to keep W10 and on the other hand getting W11 to run without it doing the typical W11 things is also something that looks like it may be worthwhile, it is certainly not that clear cut when one needs to use W10 and I am not keen of swapping back and forth all the time, no interest in wasting a lot of time given the amount of programs and customization needed.

Yes I know you have that cooler that can potentially lead to loss of hearing at full blast but not really interested in that. Liquid cooling is more interesting as it can increase sustained performance at non-deafening levels. As it is with MSI cooler boost I can score 35.3K for a 10 minute run which is exceptional but it would be even nicer if I could do that with lower temps and an acceptable noise level.

Haha, I usually draw the line at benching computers as I find even that a huge time drain and if I started to bench tablets and phones, too that would be too much.

Lol..you just ain't real bro...I put my tablets in the freezer to bench. I put gas on my toast before benchmarking toasters total heat output and watts. If you can't handle 156 decibels you need a new hobby, perhaps librarian. All kidding aside, I never did this till recently but installing 2 oses at same time is super easy, I don't have two right now but I might try again, good way to balance tasks

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

3 hours ago, ryan said:

Lol..you just ain't real bro...I put my tablets in the freezer to bench. I put gas on my toast before benchmarking toasters total heat output and watts. If you can't handle 156 decibels you need a new hobby, perhaps librarian. All kidding aside, I never did this till recently but installing 2 oses at same time is super easy, I don't have two right now but I might try again, good way to balance tasks

Yeah I guess I could do some of that but I like to know what I can get with the stock hardware and at room temperature which is usually between 19C and 23C, my freezer is more like 5C 😄

I have no issues installing two operating systems in fact I have two W10 and one W11 that are currently running on the Raider. I do however have issues with W10 Pro, 14th Gen and Hyper-V which apparently is not that rare.

I am sure this can be solved but it is annoying to see these things not working properly because we are only supposed to use W11 with 13th and 14th gen.

Yeah I'm having issues with turbo boost and atlas os..everything feels like a sham

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

I might have to install windows 11 again or not..I have 8tb of games installed and complex ai apps..ugh..

• Sad 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled