NotebookTalk

gamepad on pc and on a console does it feels different.?

raptorddd

i havennt used a console in many years. i want to ask you for your feedback.

i rather use a gamepad then keyboard.. so am trying to use gamepad but it feels akward.

is it me. ? does the gamepad plays a role on how it feels (mean better analog gamepad)

or it just feels akward cause many times it needs to emulate key to pad...?

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

I game almost exclusively with a gamepad on my PC and it has never seemed "off" to me.

I used an Xbox One controller for a long time and have more recently switched to a Sony DualSense controller.  Xbox controllers (Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S) are probably best to use on Windows if you basically just want buttons and sticks, and don't care about the other features of something like the DualSense.  Xbox controllers support XInput without any extra software needed and will work with basically all Windows games released since 2008-ish with no extra configuration required.

Depending on the game, I may use the d-pad instead the analog stick.  (I only use the analog sticks over the d-pad when they are actually needed for 3D movement.)

I will also note that I never had a good experience using an Xbox controller with Bluetooth.  It frequently had odd behavior.  I always plugged it in via USB.  (I haven't had any issues with DualSense + Bluetooth.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "emulate key to pad".  Pretty much all modern games have built-in gamepad support (where it makes sense).  What are you trying to play?

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

9 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

I game almost exclusively with a gamepad on my PC and it has never seemed "off" to me.

I used an Xbox One controller for a long time and have more recently switched to a Sony DualSense controller.  Xbox controllers (Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S) are probably best to use on Windows if you basically just want buttons and sticks, and don't care about the other features of something like the DualSense.  Xbox controllers support XInput without any extra software needed and will work with basically all Windows games released since 2008-ish with no extra configuration required.

Depending on the game, I may use the d-pad instead the analog stick.  (I only use the analog sticks over the d-pad when they are actually needed for 3D movement.)

I will also note that I never had a good experience using an Xbox controller with Bluetooth.  It frequently had odd behavior.  I always plugged it in via USB.  (I haven't had any issues with DualSense + Bluetooth.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "emulate key to pad".  Pretty much all modern games have built-in gamepad support (where it makes sense).  What are you trying to play?

well i guess that using the xbox controller will work fine. i have a gamepad gamesir with analog sticks so experience might not be the same as using a reall game controller.

pad to key yes i mean i play games with no controller support do you must use a emulator key to gamepad like xpadder.

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

1 hour ago, Reciever said:

I have used both cabled and bluetooth controllers (xbox 360 and ps4) and both work fine. I tend to prefer controllers for 3rd person games.

i have not faced that either. 

what i actually was refrerring was analog  sticks i have no knowledge but i assume the better quality the analog sticks the better. 

once i ended up using gamepad and mouse on call of duty 2. 

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

8 hours ago, raptorddd said:

pad to key yes i mean i play games with no controller support do you must use a emulator key to gamepad like xpadder.

If you are mapping gamepad inputs to keyboard keys, then yes, I doubt that the analog sticks will feel right.  (D-pad or regular button inputs would be fine, I'd think.)  I tried playing the original Half Life (first-person shooter), which does not have proper (modern) gamepad support, with analog sticks mapped to mouse inputs and that even was wonky, I ended up going for traditional keyboard+mouse controls for that one.

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

• 4 weeks later...