NotebookTalk

Clevo P180HM GPU upgrade

poprostujakub

Hi all.

I recently bought Clevo P180HM w. GTX680M. I have heard that this is already the best GPU that will work in this laptop, but since I have a bunch of MXM cards lying around I decided to give them a try.

First, Dell Quadro M3000M I use in M980NU - hang at the boot screen with beeps from time to time.

Then MSI GTX970M - after boot screen it stops at black screen with blinking cursor.

I have still Dell 765M after failed mod (I don't remember what I've done to it, but it shows as 780M in GPU-Z) and Dell HD8970M to try.

I have also tried different thing - 680M in master slot and the other card in slave slot.

Windows 7 displays GPU renderer error but suprisingly such a configuration works under W10.

With basic MS driver for 680M and Nvidia driver for the second card I was able to use the latter as the 3D renderer. Both 765M and 970M works in this configuration (M3000M does not - hang), althrough performance is very disappointing - GPU utilization reaches about 70%, but FPS in games is around 15% of what it should be.

Is there anything else I could try? Maybe Pascal? There are P106M and Quadro P1000M that I can buy and I also spotted Radeon RX580M or something along those lines on Aliexpress, but I don't want to waste money if they are not going to work.

On 8/21/2023 at 11:57 PM, poprostujakub said:

Hi all.

I recently bought Clevo P180HM w. GTX680M. I have heard that this is already the best GPU that will work in this laptop, but since I have a bunch of MXM cards lying around I decided to give them a try.

First, Dell Quadro M3000M I use in M980NU - hang at the boot screen with beeps from time to time.

Then MSI GTX970M - after boot screen it stops at black screen with blinking cursor.

I have still Dell 765M after failed mod (I don't remember what I've done to it, but it shows as 780M in GPU-Z) and Dell HD8970M to try.

I have also tried different thing - 680M in master slot and the other card in slave slot.

Windows 7 displays GPU renderer error but suprisingly such a configuration works under W10.

With basic MS driver for 680M and Nvidia driver for the second card I was able to use the latter as the 3D renderer. Both 765M and 970M works in this configuration (M3000M does not - hang), althrough performance is very disappointing - GPU utilization reaches about 70%, but FPS in games is around 15% of what it should be.

Is there anything else I could try? Maybe Pascal? There are P106M and Quadro P1000M that I can buy and I also spotted Radeon RX580M or something along those lines on Aliexpress, but I don't want to waste money if they are not going to work.

Maybe a bios flash would help for you, p180 and p370 series dont have igpu.

HP Omen Transcend 16 13700HX/32GB 4800mhz/RTX 4070 105W/QHD 240Hz IPS.

wow still rocking the HM series, thats awesome! so happy to see the legend live on 😁

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

On 8/22/2023 at 3:06 AM, Reciever said:

You could try Linux, some limitations on other machines were overcome via OS as opposed to specifically BIOS to GPU issues

At the very least wont cost you anything but some time before making more investments,

Welcome to the Forum!

Well, as far as it won't need a lot of work with terminal I can try it.

I'm a refugee from NBR but thanks 🙂

@Csupati

There is no BIOS that supports newer cards, I checked this first...

@jaybee83

P180HM is the prettiest laptop I've ever seen, so I had to have it 😉

Well, another update - with HD8970M it doesn't even light up the screen and after one minute it shuts off, so no commmunication to KBC. It's sad, because W7170M's are very cheap...

• Bump 1

41 minutes ago, poprostujakub said:

@Csupati

@jaybee83

Well, another update - with HD8970M it doesn't even light up the screen and after one minute it shuts off, so no commmunication to KBC. It's sad, because W7170M's are very cheap...

Yeah it has to be able to read the sensors it wants or it turns off the system. Obviously Clevo cards have better chance of working but MSI is usually the next best option in terms of at least posting and letting you boot up.

When another member on NBR (cant remember username) tried to get some newer cards working for the M4600 they were only able to get some cards working under Linux as Windows would crash or lock up. Same drill for a couple of the other Dell Precision systems, no idea if that will hold any water for the P180HM though. Worth a try 

21 hours ago, poprostujakub said:

@Csupati

@jaybee83

its pretty for sure, i used to rock a P150HM myself back in the day 🙂 yeah, that was one of the HM series annoying disadvantages, its lack of GPU support...the subsequent EM and SM series were way more forgiving in terms of unofficial GPU upgrades! latest I heard was 980M being made compatible after heavy bios modding....but that was a one of a kind mod and destroyed the mobo in the end haha.

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

On 8/30/2023 at 7:29 PM, Reciever said:

Yeah it has to be able to read the sensors it wants or it turns off the system. Obviously Clevo cards have better chance of working but MSI is usually the next best option in terms of at least posting and letting you boot up.

When another member on NBR (cant remember username) tried to get some newer cards working for the M4600 they were only able to get some cards working under Linux as Windows would crash or lock up. Same drill for a couple of the other Dell Precision systems, no idea if that will hold any water for the P180HM though. Worth a try 

Ive done the same with a M6700 and M6800 +P3000(1060), you have to flash an early vbios to the card otherwise windows will keep crashing at booting.

HP Omen Transcend 16 13700HX/32GB 4800mhz/RTX 4070 105W/QHD 240Hz IPS.