NotebookTalk

What's your favorite game(s)?

Prototime

This is tough because i played a lot of games in my life old and new. Here my top 5 favorite games of all time.

Super Mario Bros 3

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

Metal Gear Solid

Red Dead Redemption 2

Far Cry 3

Honorable Mentions: Just Cause 2, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, The Mortal Kombat trilogy, and the Sonic genesis trilogy (1,2,3 and Knuckles)

• Bump 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

• 1 month later...

All time? Either Roller Coaster Tycoon 1+2, SimCity 3000 Unlimited, or Command and Conquer Generals + ZH.

As of creating a Steam account? Both Wargame Red Dragon and Payday 2 far exceed the hours played on my next longest-played games.

Apple M2 MBA 13 (Cayna) - 8/10 SoC, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Dell Inspiron 7577 (Mayu) - i7-7700HQ, GTX 1060MQ, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB NVMe + 1TB HDD, 1080p, Win10 Home
DIY Desktop (Altair) - i7-8700K, Radeon 6600 8GB, 32GB DDR4-3200, 256GB NVMe + 256GB SSD + 8TB HDD, 1080p x3, Win11 Home
DIY Server (Mobius) - i5-6600K, 32GB DDR4, 28TB array, Samsung EVO 860 500GB cache, unRAID 6.11.5 Pro
Other machines: Lenovo Thinkpad W520 (Strigon), Thinkpad X61t (Aquila)
RIP NBR

i would say one of THE most played game series on my part is Wolfenstein. starting with return to castle wolfenstein all the way up to the most current The New Colossus (im not counting Cyberpilot since its VR exclusive) ive played them all and enjoyed them thoroughly! actually thinking about doing another run of the whole series haha 😛 

• Thumb Up 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

• 5 weeks later...

my all time favorite game has to be sonic the hedgehog 1 or super mario world

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 2 weeks later...

The first game I remember playing was a text based game Stephen kings The Mist.  That goes way back,  then I remember a game called Wasteland, it made good use of my 16 color RGB monitor, lol.  The first multiplayer game I played was Descent, I was a flight instructor ant a university and we installed it on the network machines, when it was raining we would chase each other in the little spaceships, big time fun!   Here is a list of more modern favorites.

Most memorable to me was Half life 2, the atmosphere that was created by the graphics engine and audio was a huge leap forward, and when G man appeared on the train t=the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.  This also led to the Orange Box which was the best gaming purchase of my life.

Battlefield, I love playing with a squad of friends and the series has had some issues over the years and the worst release ever with 2042,  I still enjoy playing the game with my clan mates.

TW3, best single player game I have played and I still have it installed.

Subnautica,  I have played a lot of this simple survival game, I play on hardcore mode and see how far I can get without dying. 

Icarus, I recently started playing this game which is quite a bit of fun, the Coop mode is great but my schedule is such that I usually play solo,  it still needs work but the developers put out a patch every Friday and have been making big changes to improve it.

• Thumb Up 2

Bloodborne: a game that has introduced many to the wonders of HP Lovecraft's cosmic horror long after Stephen King's attempts to entertain viewers via books. This game has the visceral combat, story, and setpieces I would never expect to do so well in its time. The very act of you playing or not playing the game is also a part of the tale.

Armored Core 3: introduced me to politics and corporate espionage at a young age (at least when I was able to take in information compared to MGS1 and 2 release on PSX). Game also had elements of man vs machine in which the system managing the humans living underground and manipulating everything behind the scenes to prevent humans from going above ground which used to have been laid in nuclear waste. Gameplay mechanics were very hard but fun in its time.

Remnant from the Ashes: this little gem of a game is short, but gameplay is very deep, mechanically challenging, and has probably (in my opinion) the best gunplay of its style. I wished there was more content to this game, but I and a small niche group of others are waiting for the next successor of this title.

Video of RftA from me: https://youtu.be/BWONpgGk7qo

Honorable Mentions:

GunZ the Duel: probably the most mechanically challenging multiplayer game I've ever played and was the most competitive for a free title. Skill gaps between players is insane based on how fast your APM was to cancel all sorts of animations to trick and eliminate all opposition.

• 3 months later...

1) Renegade/Target Renegade on the Amstrad CPC. I loved the graphics on both of these games and the 16 colours chosen for the palettes in both games were excellent choices. My friends and I had great fun with this one.

2) Double Dragon (arcade) This game blew my mind the first time I laid eyes on it. It was gritty, had a 2 player mode and weapons you could pick up. The sound track on the second section of the game is so funky that I couldn't stop humming it back in the day.

3) Xenogears (PS1) My first full on RPG. The 2D sprite work mixed with the 3D backgrounds is what caught my eye on this, which in turn led me to my love of RPG's. I don't have much time to play this genre anymore, but this game - I bought the soundtrack and had completed the game many times. The story is really good even though the developers ran out of time on the second disk.

4) Koudelka (PS1) Another fantastic RPG and one of my favourites next to Xenogears and Parasite Eve. The battle system isn't great, but the excellent story, voice acting and mature characters makes this game a hidden gem. The most compelling thing about the mocap dialogue scenes, is that it is a static camera and so feels exactly like you are watching a play. Complete contrast to your typical movie style camera work you see in games today.

5) Street Fighter Alpha 3 (arcade). I got pretty good at this one.

Honourable mentions:

Dragons Dogma
Dark Souls
Rival Schools

Ketsui

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 5:27 PM, KING19 said:

This is tough because i played a lot of games in my life old and new. Here my top 5 favorite games of all time.

Super Mario Bros 3

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

Metal Gear Solid

Red Dead Redemption 2

Far Cry 3

Honorable Mentions: Just Cause 2, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, The Mortal Kombat trilogy, and the Sonic genesis trilogy (1,2,3 and Knuckles)

this

honestly its hard saying which is the best. i think saying what you like is more accurate

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

I only dabble in games nowadays but id have to say a game i dabble with the most is gta v so in that sense gta v is my favorite game but im sure if the witcher is fun and is as good as everyone says it might take the lead or be just behind gta v

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 6/20/2022 at 8:01 PM, ryan said:

my all time favorite game has to be sonic the hedgehog 1 or super mario world

haha way to go the classic route!

On 6/29/2022 at 12:20 PM, DukeCLR said:

The first game I remember playing was a text based game Stephen kings The Mist.  That goes way back,  then I remember a game called Wasteland, it made good use of my 16 color RGB monitor, lol.  The first multiplayer game I played was Descent, I was a flight instructor ant a university and we installed it on the network machines, when it was raining we would chase each other in the little spaceships, big time fun!   Here is a list of more modern favorites.

Most memorable to me was Half life 2, the atmosphere that was created by the graphics engine and audio was a huge leap forward, and when G man appeared on the train t=the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.  This also led to the Orange Box which was the best gaming purchase of my life.

Battlefield, I love playing with a squad of friends and the series has had some issues over the years and the worst release ever with 2042,  I still enjoy playing the game with my clan mates.

TW3, best single player game I have played and I still have it installed.

Subnautica,  I have played a lot of this simple survival game, I play on hardcore mode and see how far I can get without dying. 

Icarus, I recently started playing this game which is quite a bit of fun, the Coop mode is great but my schedule is such that I usually play solo,  it still needs work but the developers put out a patch every Friday and have been making big changes to improve it.

dude its like we played the same games in the early years in parallel haha. our paths only diverge starting with BF.

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 2:51 AM, LoneSyndal said:

Bloodborne: a game that has introduced many to the wonders of HP Lovecraft's cosmic horror long after Stephen King's attempts to entertain viewers via books. This game has the visceral combat, story, and setpieces I would never expect to do so well in its time. The very act of you playing or not playing the game is also a part of the tale.

I wish Sony/From would port this to PC already, seems Sony is on a tear putting out great content for PC so I hold out hope we'll see it. I think the change of setting would probably get me back into the "souls" formula.

• Thumb Up 1

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

[Sleipnir] MacBook Pro 16 | M1 Max | 32GB | 1TB

[Munnin] LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD | Fedora 38

• 1 month later...