NotebookTalk

Precision M4600 Owners Thread

Hertzian56

1 hour ago, raptorddd said:

my idea was to make bigger holes. but drill was too heavy and time consuming. so at times i would hit with drill the grill and as it got weaker it got bent. it would not sit flat anymore so i cut out .

I did this without bending the grill by just putting the grill on top of a piece of wood and drilling down into the wood.

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 7:23 PM, Silentninja727 said:

The Precision M4600 fan header broke off. I push down the fan connector, and it works.
I am thinking of soldering the fan header connector.

Are any solder tools recommended to join the fan connector?

Inked20221103_215821 2.jpg

20221103_215732 2.jpg

this happened to me. it was late and dark while trying to connect GPU fan the socket housing broke. i CA glue ( i think thats the name cyano ) but didnt worked. took it to a local guy i asked him to solder the fan to the pins. not sure if its true he said that the CA glue ate the plastic material and damaged the board. maybe he tried and messed up.  so gpu fan socket was damaged...

i end it up placing a fan with a usb cable that i connected on the usb port.

not sure about what tools ypu could use. the best thing would be to take it to a repair shop.

• Thumb Up 1

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

On 11/3/2022 at 7:55 PM, Aaron44126 said:

I did this without bending the grill by just putting the grill on top of a piece of wood and drilling down into the wood.

i used 2 concrete blocks and a brick on top.. i had no other thing to use.

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

10 hours ago, raptorddd said:

this happened to me. it was late and dark while trying to connect GPU fan the socket housing broke. i CA glue ( i think thats the name cyano ) but didnt worked. took it to a local guy i asked him to solder the fan to the pins. not sure if its true he said that the CA glue ate the plastic material and damaged the board. maybe he tried and messed up.  so gpu fan socket was damaged...

not sure about what tools ypu could use. the best thing would be to take it to a repair shop.

Thank You. 

45 minutes ago, Silentninja727 said:

I am also thinking of swapping CPU Fan Blade to the Noctua Fan blade.

https://noctua.at/en/nf-a4x10-5v-pwm

That fan is designed to push air "through" not "out the back".  (Blower fan vs. axial fan as mentioned in the Reddit comments.)  Also it has hardly any fins, I don't see how it could result in an improvement to airflow.

• Thumb Up 3

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

58 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

That fan is designed to push air "through" not "out the back".  (Blower fan vs. axial fan as mentioned in the Reddit comments.)  Also it has hardly any fins, I don't see how it could result in an improvement to airflow.

+1 very bad idea

Replacing the fan is tricky is more ways than one. 

Depends on how your system constitutes all the values that make up its performance. 

Is the fan speed determined by percentage? RPMs? Do you have a software means of adjustment? If not, can you make a physical switch to disconnect the PWM wire? Will the system continue to operate without PWM detection? (most will) Is it completely determined by temperature? If so, will it result in slower fan speed versus cooler temperature? (most will). Can the motherboard support additional amps? What voltage is the fan I have versus the one I want to install?

Not posing these questions for those interested to overcome, but they are questions that need to be considered when entertaining such a scenario. Luckily, many of those questions had been considered long before me so I was able to move the needle just a bit further in my own modifications with the Ranger.

• Thumb Up 3

5 hours ago, Silentninja727 said:

Thanks Aaron.

It looks like a window fan and if it is so good why doesn't Dell use that type? I do like the looks of the one they used in the video LOL, But seriously the wide blades may give more volume vs speed, but this is getting very scientific, labaratory techy for me HAHA

Clevo P870DM3-G i9-9900k-32.0GB 2667mhz-GTX 1080 SLI

Alienware M18x R2 i7-3920xm-32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000 

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 20GB DDR3-1600 P4000 120hz 3D

Precision m6700 i7-3840QM - 16.0GB DDR3 - GTX 970M 
Precision m4700 i7-3610QM-8.00GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz-K2000M

GOBOXX SLM  G2721-i7-10875H RTX 3000-32GB ddr4(Gave to my Wife)

8 hours ago, aldarxt said:

It looks like a window fan and if it is so good why doesn't Dell use that type? I do like the looks of the one they used in the video LOL, But seriously the wide blades may give more volume vs speed, but this is getting very scientific, labaratory techy for me HAHA

wich video.?

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

14 hours ago, Reciever said:

+1 very bad idea

Depends on how your system constitutes all the values that make up its performance. 

Is the fan speed determined by percentage? RPMs? Do you have a software means of adjustment? If not, can you make a physical switch to disconnect the PWM wire? Will the system continue to operate without PWM detection? (most will) Is it completely determined by temperature? If so, will it result in slower fan speed versus cooler temperature? (most will). Can the motherboard support additional amps? What voltage is the fan I have versus the one I want to install?

Not posing these questions for those interested to overcome, but they are questions that need to be considered when entertaining such a scenario. Luckily, many of those questions had been considered long before me so I was able to move the needle just a bit further in my own modifications with the Ranger.

CPU Fan is Page 46. 

Foxconn Brooks 15 r1A.pdf

3 hours ago, raptorddd said:

wich video.?

On Noctua website

• Thumb Up 1

Clevo P870DM3-G i9-9900k-32.0GB 2667mhz-GTX 1080 SLI

Alienware M18x R2 i7-3920xm-32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000 

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 20GB DDR3-1600 P4000 120hz 3D

Precision m6700 i7-3840QM - 16.0GB DDR3 - GTX 970M 
Precision m4700 i7-3610QM-8.00GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz-K2000M

GOBOXX SLM  G2721-i7-10875H RTX 3000-32GB ddr4(Gave to my Wife)

On 11/14/2022 at 9:44 PM, Reciever said:

+1 very bad idea

Hi, Receiver, this what you are talking about in youtube video.

• Thumb Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 3:41 PM, raptorddd said:

Did you end up placing a fan outside of the laptop?

• Thumb Up 1

17 hours ago, Silentninja727 said:

Did you end up placing a fan outside of the laptop?

if only the housing the plastic part (soket) broke you could take it to someone that can direct solder the fan to the pins.

for me  this wasnt an option the plastic housing broke tried CA glue after that took it to a place that could direct solder but according to the guy the glue damaged the board and the fan would not work anymore if i solder it directly tro pins..

what we end up was replaced a fan he had cant remember why we didnt used the old 4600 fan. so he installed that fan solder it to a usb cable. that we placeand routed inside and out to the hole that its to lock laptop on the left hand side. then i would connecte it the usb to onw of the 2.0 usb ports to start the fan.

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

17 minutes ago, raptorddd said:

if only the housing the plastic part (soket) broke you could take it to someone that can direct solder the fan to the pins.

for me  this wasnt an option the plastic housing broke tried CA glue after that took it to a place that could direct solder but according to the guy the glue damaged the board and the fan would not work anymore if i solder it directly tro pins..

what we end up was replaced a fan he had cant remember why we didnt used the old 4600 fan. so he installed that fan solder it to a usb cable. that we placeand routed inside and out to the hole that its to lock laptop on the left hand side. then i would connecte it the usb to onw of the 2.0 usb ports to start the fan.

I see, I try to solder the connector, but the CPU fan connector broke; I will try to find another solution, and my laptop still works.  

1 hour ago, Silentninja727 said:

I see, I try to solder the connector, but the CPU fan connector broke; I will try to find another solution, and my laptop still works.  

could you take a picture.? like i said mine too broke and was damage could not solder to pins. so replaced fan and manually connected to a usb 2.0 port fan was inside same place as old fan.

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

12 hours ago, Silentninja727 said:

1st Picture, Oh my goodness.

2nd Picture use different fan from HP Pavilion Dv4

but my fan was for GPU yours is the for the CPU. i think this is more serious. becuase  of fan control. you will need a fan that will have to be on at all times fast enough to cool the cpu.

there are motherboards that ive seen for 40 dollars on ebay.

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

4 hours ago, raptorddd said:

but my fan was for GPU yours is the for the CPU. i think this is more serious. becuase  of fan control. you will need a fan that will have to be on at all times fast enough to cool the cpu.

there are motherboards that ive seen for 40 dollars on ebay.

What is the maximum fan speed for usb version fan that you installed for gpu.