NotebookTalk

Medical Emergency and the aftermath. Very interesting way I am living now.

kojack

So, on Christmas eve, I went into anaphylactic shock. I was having allergic reactions to something for a year and a half and could not figure it out.  This last one was very hard on myself and my family.  I started having the normal reaction of hives, itchy skin, and shortness of breath, but this one hit me way different.  I was passing out on the bed and not staying conscious. 

My wife went to call my oldest son to come home and bring me to the emergency room, but things went down hill fast.  I felt like I was going to shat myself (the last conscious thought that I had) and I bolted to the bathroom.  Got in there and collapsed and that was it.  I was out. She called the ambulance to help me.  I cannot remember anything after that until I could hear one of the paramedics say "I am going to give you a second epinephrine shot. I agreed.  They put the blood pressure cuff on me and hit the button.  The second paramedic said "oh my god".  At that point I said what?  she said I am not allowed to tell you anything.  So they got me to the point where I was able to get to the stretcher to get in the ambulance.  She called in my vitals.  my bp was 55/30.  

I get to the hospital, and the ER doctor on staff told me after I was somewhat stabilized that if the ambulance was 2 mins longer I would be dead or they would be using the defibrillator on me.  It was the lowest BP that he has seen in 10 years of anyone who wasn't dead. 

My son who completed a human kinetics/sports/recreation degree in university looked at me and said stop eating wheat.  Well he was right.  I have wheat allergies that do not show on an allergy test. I cannot drink alcohol anymore (Cannabis is fine, thankfully since I use it to combat arthritis and ADD. I just got my official prescription for it) and I have to watch the label on every food I buy now.  But I am thankful that I am here, and we know what to do.  The doctor gave me epi-pen prescriptions and another new drug called Ruupaul (YASSS- Work it!).  

I have lost over 20 lbs since this happend and I am breathing much better because of simbicort and the fact that I am not having complete body inflammation. 

All in all it was an eventful past few months.  I am happy to be coming out the other side alive, healthy and well. 

Just wanted to give you all an update why I have not been around in a long time.  

• Thumb Up 4
  • Bump 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

I wondered why you were gone, so glad your ok and doing better. thank god. I will pray for you buddy. I know people are going through alot and its a part of life but dang can it be hard sometimes. welcome back 🙂

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

15 hours ago, kojack said:

So, on Christmas eve, I went into anaphylactic shock. I was having allergic reactions to something for a year and a half and could not figure it out.  This last one was very hard on myself and my family.  I started having the normal reaction of hives, itchy skin, and shortness of breath, but this one hit me way different.  I was passing out on the bed and not staying conscious. 

My wife went to call my oldest son to come home and bring me to the emergency room, but things went down hill fast.  I felt like I was going to shat myself (the last conscious thought that I had) and I bolted to the bathroom.  Got in there and collapsed and that was it.  I was out. She called the ambulance to help me.  I cannot remember anything after that until I could hear one of the paramedics say "I am going to give you a second epinephrine shot. I agreed.  They put the blood pressure cuff on me and hit the button.  The second paramedic said "oh my god".  At that point I said what?  she said I am not allowed to tell you anything.  So they got me to the point where I was able to get to the stretcher to get in the ambulance.  She called in my vitals.  my bp was 55/30.  

I get to the hospital, and the ER doctor on staff told me after I was somewhat stabilized that if the ambulance was 2 mins longer I would be dead or they would be using the defibrillator on me.  It was the lowest BP that he has seen in 10 years of anyone who wasn't dead. 

My son who completed a human kinetics/sports/recreation degree in university looked at me and said stop eating wheat.  Well he was right.  I have wheat allergies that do not show on an allergy test. I cannot drink alcohol anymore (Cannabis is fine, thankfully since I use it to combat arthritis and ADD. I just got my official prescription for it) and I have to watch the label on every food I buy now.  But I am thankful that I am here, and we know what to do.  The doctor gave me epi-pen prescriptions and another new drug called Ruupaul (YASSS- Work it!).  

I have lost over 20 lbs since this happend and I am breathing much better because of simbicort and the fact that I am not having complete body inflammation. 

All in all it was an eventful past few months.  I am happy to be coming out the other side alive, healthy and well. 

Just wanted to give you all an update why I have not been around in a long time.  

congratulations to youand your son that pin point the cause and that your health is back.. am glad you are doing ok. 

• Like 1

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

2 hours ago, raptorddd said:

congratulations to youand your son that pin point the cause and that your health is back.. am glad you are doing ok. 

Thanks.  It was scary for quite a while.  Took him a day of thinking to figure it out.  Then I was lying in the hospital bed and he said it to me.  Then I started thinking back to what I ate before every attack.  Yep. Pizza 2 times (check), a nice wonderful burger (check), a large cinnamon bun (check), a mcdouble (check).  A sandwich with whole wheat bread, deli meats and mayo (check check check).  I stopped wheat right away and started watching everything that went down my stomach.  Knock on wood, I have only had one reaction since, and that was to test our theory.  I ate some perogies and sure enough, hives again. 

I gave me some fuel for my passions again too. Photography, videography, travelling, mountain biking, kayaking and computers.  So, there was lots of good that came from it as well. 

• Thumb Up 1

Unfortunately the tests kind of suck so when my partner had issues we cut out foodgroups ourselves to figure out it was a dairy allergy.

• Thumb Up 3

Sager NP9877

Hybrid Watercooled setup, D5 pump with dual 140MM fans integrated into custom stand. All controlled via temp outputs from GPU and CPU.

17.3" 1440p 120Hz display + 32" 4k MSI IPS 160Hz display

9900KS @ 4.8Ghz (47x102Mhz) All core, delid with rockit IHS, liquid metal

RTX 3080 @ 1920/8000 shunt mod

32GB (16x2 dual rank) 3280Mhz DDR4 CL16

1TB SM961 SSD

2TB SN770 SSD

Dual 330W PSU 

16 minutes ago, TreeTopsRanch said:

Holy Molly..I thought allergy's could make you sick but not actually cause a death. You were lucky to escape that fate. Wonder why the Doctor couldn't diagnose the wheat issue?

Yeah they can be fatal, they are to be taken seriously. It's always frustrating when people dismiss the concerns as being needy (This is aimed at people in general, not you) rather than being a serious concern.

• Thumb Up 3

Sager NP9877

Hybrid Watercooled setup, D5 pump with dual 140MM fans integrated into custom stand. All controlled via temp outputs from GPU and CPU.

17.3" 1440p 120Hz display + 32" 4k MSI IPS 160Hz display

9900KS @ 4.8Ghz (47x102Mhz) All core, delid with rockit IHS, liquid metal

RTX 3080 @ 1920/8000 shunt mod

32GB (16x2 dual rank) 3280Mhz DDR4 CL16

1TB SM961 SSD

2TB SN770 SSD

Dual 330W PSU 

6 hours ago, TreeTopsRanch said:

Holy Molly..I thought allergy's could make you sick but not actually cause a death. You were lucky to escape that fate. Wonder why the Doctor couldn't diagnose the wheat issue?

It's a crap shoot.  My son was telling me to not eat wheat for a while because of inflammation issues I was having/ am having.  Then, after the event, he said you really need to stop now.  I was thinking more environmental than food, that's why the Doctor wasn't pinpointing anything. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, TreeTopsRanch said:

Holy Molly..I thought allergy's could make you sick but not actually cause a death.

Agree with the above, a lot of people have mild allergies to certain foods or other things (myself included) but there are some cases where it can be really serious.  I had a coworker with a nut allergy who had to be super careful about all food (checking packaging / etc. like @kojack mentioned), because having the allergy triggered could lead to a situation where it was hard for him to breathe, which could get dangerous very quick.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Sad 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

@kojack i know it was scary but didnt want to make you remember that episode

for food i have only seen it on tv bee stings those are more comon i guess.

• Thumb Up 1

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

5 hours ago, raptorddd said:

@kojack i know it was scary but didnt want to make you remember that episode

for food i have only seen it on tv bee stings those are more comon i guess.

They are all fairly common.  My mother has a severe allergy to shellfish.  My folks were driving back from florida a few years ago, and stopped at a hotel with a restaurant.  She ordered cod au gratin (no shellfish), and my dad had steak.  About 15 min into their meal, she started having a reaction.  They were lucky and had her epipen.  Turns out the chef who was preparing her food cut her fish and the next tables scallops with the same knife.  Boom.  Stabbing herself with the Epipen to reverse the reaction.  It can happen that easy. 

Same with me and wheat now. Worst thing is I only developed this allergy in the past year and a half.  I could pound back pizza and burgers with the best of them before.  NOPE now. 

• Thumb Up 1

But your ok now?

Place was quiet without you here. @Etern4l hasn't posted in weeks. Hoping he's OK. Did you end up finding the reason like celiac.? Chrons?

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

7 hours ago, ryan said:

But your ok now?

Place was quiet without you here. @Etern4l hasn't posted in weeks. Hoping he's OK. Did you end up finding the reason like celiac.? Chrons?

Yes, I am fine now. It's just your run of the mill severe allergy. No different than a shellfish allergy.  Celiac is Gluten intolerance.  It makes you have upset stomach, poop liquified stuff, and what not.  My allergy wants to kill me. 

That really sucks!

I mean, I know we (humans) used to live without bread and pasta, but it is such a staple in my life now. I couldn't imagine not eating hamburgers:classic_ohmy:

Have you ever tried rice flour bread? its full on disgusting

how about corn bread? Does that have any wheat in it?

• Thumb Up 2
  • Haha 1

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

Cornbread is (usually?) made with regular flour so I'd be worried about that —

Still, there's probably options for "alternate breads".

Anything labeled "gluten free" shouldn't have wheat.  ("Gluten free" is a bit more broad than "no wheat" but it would by definition exclude wheat.)  So, there's probably some stuff to try there, I've never experimented in that area myself...

Even rye bread might be OK, but you'd have to make sure it is really just made from only rye flour and not a mixture of rye and wheat.

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

4 hours ago, Eban said:

That really sucks!

I mean, I know we (humans) used to live without bread and pasta, but it is such a staple in my life now. I couldn't imagine not eating hamburgers:classic_ohmy:

you have to make sacrifices. ive stopped consuming coffee, chocolate, coke and any other sweet drinks the sweet drink i just did it because i wanted to just plain water.

i rather feel ok then consuming that a feeling panic attacks.

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

7 hours ago, Eban said:

That really sucks!

exactly my thoughts when i saw this thread. then again, STAYING ALIVE is a pretty good motivator if u ask me lulz.

id probably move back to asia to switch to rice based dishes for the rest of my life, otherwise i wouldnt be able to fully enjoy the local food here in "wheaty" europe 😄 

• Thumb Up 2

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

8 hours ago, Eban said:

That really sucks!

I can eat all of it.  just using wheat free substitutes.  

As for the gluten free items, most are wheat free but some product indeed do have trace wheat amounts.  I read the label of EVERY item I purchase now.  Slows down the shopping process but is therapeutic as well.   I have had most every type of bread and pasta in our aera and 99 percent of it is really good.  I even made my own homemade pizza dough using Bob's Redmill flour.  Next time for that one I need a stand mixer with dough spiral and add some salt as well.   

• Thumb Up 2

Glad you made it, that was a scary situation.

And yeah, there are a lot of good wheat and gluten free options nowadays.  While it was much less dramatic, my dad has been gluten free for a couple of years now, and while he also has to pay attention to what he buys, the substitutes are pretty good nowadays.  We still have lasagna occasionally when we meet up, but gluten-free, and he's been baking quite a bit more, most often with King Arthur's measure-for-measure gluten-free flour that lets him use the same recipe as the original.  He's said that the main downside is the gluten-free alternatives are more expensive, but it's obviously not worth being penny-wise but pound foolish when it comes to health.

Rye is one that theoretically should be fine so long as the problem is wheat specifically, but rye does contain gluten.  Less than wheat, but for someone who has a gluten allergy, it's still a no-go.  It's interesting that some of the gluten-free products have trace wheat amounts.  That seems... wrong?  Reminds me of someone I once knew who was severely allergic to corn, though.  He said you wouldn't believe how many products contain corn in the United States, and not just food but even cosmetic products like shampoo sometimes contain trace amounts of corn products.  At least wheat and gluten allergies are more common and thus more commonly labeled, but I'd still expect "gluten free" to not contain wheat.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

1 hour ago, Sandy Bridge said:

Glad you made it, that was a scary situation.

And yeah, there are a lot of good wheat and gluten free options nowadays.  While it was much less dramatic, my dad has been gluten free for a couple of years now, and while he also has to pay attention to what he buys, the substitutes are pretty good nowadays.  We still have lasagna occasionally when we meet up, but gluten-free, and he's been baking quite a bit more, most often with King Arthur's measure-for-measure gluten-free flour that lets him use the same recipe as the original.  He's said that the main downside is the gluten-free alternatives are more expensive, but it's obviously not worth being penny-wise but pound foolish when it comes to health.

Rye is one that theoretically should be fine so long as the problem is wheat specifically, but rye does contain gluten.  Less than wheat, but for someone who has a gluten allergy, it's still a no-go.  It's interesting that some of the gluten-free products have trace wheat amounts.  That seems... wrong?  Reminds me of someone I once knew who was severely allergic to corn, though.  He said you wouldn't believe how many products contain corn in the United States, and not just food but even cosmetic products like shampoo sometimes contain trace amounts of corn products.  At least wheat and gluten allergies are more common and thus more commonly labeled, but I'd still expect "gluten free" to not contain wheat.

I agree.  I have had to change my soap etc to all natural versions. But yes. Alot of gluten free things still contain trace amounts of wheat.  Under the guidelines for the Celiac organization of Canada, You can have a certain amount and be labeled gluten free. 

• Thumb Up 1