NotebookTalk

benq EX2780Q g-sync

bendella

You will need to provide way more information @bendella

Firstly, Benq EX2780Q is not a g-sync monitor, while the casual consumer may not know this (including myself) g-sync used to be an actual hardware component that was added into various panels. This monitor does not have this, but it is Freesync and it looks to be by the manufacturer stating it does have software validation for G-sync. I believe you already know this but its helpful to provide as much information as possible for onlookers to offer up a better troubleshooting.

Can you provide your PC's specifications, cables used, driver version and the GPU you have?

Also take a look at the monitors OSD (On-Screen Display) and see if there is a Freesync mode or on/off switch for those items.

Motherboard: MSI B450 gaming plus {MS-7b86}

Cpu: AMD Ryzen 2600

Gpu: evga rtx 3060 xc
Using display port. Downloaded current benq drivers and using version 512.15 for geforce drivers. Nothing for turning freesync on OSD.

I think it will always say not compatible even tho it is working? https://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/10968/how-to-enable-nvidia-g-sync-compatible-mode

Looks to be available there, you may want to try using DDU and start fresh. Make sure to uninstall all AMD drivers as well since you had a 570 8GB before this.

@Mr. Fox @electrosoft @Rage Set@Papusan

Have you guys experienced issues with Freesync panels ?

For now I recommend DDU since this desktop used to be running AMD RX 570 8GB.

Hi. Sorry, I can't be much use here because I always disable G-Sync and don't use FreeSync. If there ever were an issue I would not be aware of it for that reason.

• Thumb Up 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

If you do not see an option for anything relating to it in the monitor firmware (OSD) then maybe the specs indicate support for it in error.

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

If G-Sync is showing up as an option in the Nvidia Control Panel then you have Adaptive Sync tech available and working as intended. The reason you are seeing not certified as G-Sync compatible is because it's NOT certified by Nvidia as G-Sync Compatible https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/ . As you can see your monitor is not on the official list. That does not mean G-Sync won't work, it just means Nvidia has not certified it. It's possible they haven't gotten to it yet, or more than likely Ben-Q doesn't want to pony up the cash for the branding and testing or Nvidia found small issues with variable refresh rate (flickering is usual issues) and won't certify the panel ever. 

Go into the Nv Control Panel and turn on G-Sync for both Full Screen and Windowed Modes. Then tick the box that says use G-Sync anyways even though it's not certified or whatever it says. Then download and run this program and ensure G-Sync mode stays ticked. You can also turn it off and on and look at the tearing appear and disappear to ensure it's working. Then go play your games and enjoy. 

https://www.nvidia.com.tr/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1
Spoiler

The Beast Asus Z790 APEX | Intel i9 13900K | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix OC | 64gb DDR5 7466 CL34 Dual Rank A-Dies | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | Innocn 4K 160Hz Mini LED HDR1000 | LG 27GN950-B 4K 160Hz | Corsair 170i Elite LCD 420mm AIO | Corsair 7000D | EVGA 1600w T2

Little Beast EVGA Z690 DARK | Intel i9 13900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE | 32gb DDR5 SK Hynix DDR5 8000 CL36 A-Dies | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB | LG OLED C1 4K 120Hz G-Sync/FreeSync | Alienware AW2721D 1440p 240Hz G-Sync Ultimate | Corsair 115i Elite 280mm AIO | Lian Li 011 Dynamic | EVGA 1000w P6

8 hours ago, Talon said:

If G-Sync is showing up as an option in the Nvidia Control Panel then you have Adaptive Sync tech available and working as intended. The reason you are seeing not certified as G-Sync compatible is because it's NOT certified by Nvidia as G-Sync Compatible https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/ . As you can see your monitor is not on the official list. That does not mean G-Sync won't work, it just means Nvidia has not certified it. It's possible they haven't gotten to it yet, or more than likely Ben-Q doesn't want to pony up the cash for the branding and testing or Nvidia found small issues with variable refresh rate (flickering is usual issues) and won't certify the panel ever. 

Go into the Nv Control Panel and turn on G-Sync for both Full Screen and Windowed Modes. Then tick the box that says use G-Sync anyways even though it's not certified or whatever it says. Then download and run this program and ensure G-Sync mode stays ticked. You can also turn it off and on and look at the tearing appear and disappear to ensure it's working. Then go play your games and enjoy. 

https://www.nvidia.com.tr/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

I believe this is the answer to my problem. From benq website: FreeSync is always active on the monitor by default. Please toggle FreeSync on/off from the graphics card control center. Once off on the driver side, the monitor will also disable FreeSync. 

12 hours ago, Reciever said:

In these types of scenarios would you want to have vsync on or off within each video game?

I've read/seen videos that have tested this out. You can either enable v-sync in game or in the NV Control Panel. What they recommended was using in Nv Control Panel to ensure the in game v-sync doesn't introduce any kind of additional input lag. As you know, both should have the same effect. You're not actually using V-Sync but by turning on V-Sync it forces the frames to cap around -3 below your max refresh rate to ensure you never leave G-Sync range and keep it buttery smooth. 

Nvidia does a terrible job of explaining how G-Sync works, it's benefits, and it doesn't help they've changed how it works based on control panel settings over the years. I personally hate gaming on anything that doesn't feature adaptive sync or G-Sync. Having used it since 2015 with my first 1440p Dell G-Sync monitor, I simply can't go without it anymore. I immediately notice tearing and the lack of 'synced up' feel that it provides. I turn it off for benching, but that's about it. 

• Thumb Up 2
Spoiler

The Beast Asus Z790 APEX | Intel i9 13900K | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix OC | 64gb DDR5 7466 CL34 Dual Rank A-Dies | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | Innocn 4K 160Hz Mini LED HDR1000 | LG 27GN950-B 4K 160Hz | Corsair 170i Elite LCD 420mm AIO | Corsair 7000D | EVGA 1600w T2

Little Beast EVGA Z690 DARK | Intel i9 13900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE | 32gb DDR5 SK Hynix DDR5 8000 CL36 A-Dies | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB | LG OLED C1 4K 120Hz G-Sync/FreeSync | Alienware AW2721D 1440p 240Hz G-Sync Ultimate | Corsair 115i Elite 280mm AIO | Lian Li 011 Dynamic | EVGA 1000w P6

I use a BenQ 4k panel that is FreeSync compatible and Gsync is enabled but my panel is 60hz so even with it enabled/disabled it can't touch anywhere near the smoothness of my laptop 144hz Gsync panel enabled.

For World of Warcraft I find using Gsync enabled works the best albeit I'll reap bigger dividends when I eventually switch to a higher refresh 4k panel or step down to 1440p. One thing I won't sacrifice is color accuracy so my options are limited.

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 980 1TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Samsung G7 43" 4k mLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel: i5-12400 | Asus Prime B660 | PowerColor HellHound 7900XTX | 32GB DDR4  G.Skill 3333 |  512GB M.2 | Gamdias | BenQ 32" 4k

@bendella were you able to get it working how you wanted? Make sure you are satisfied with that purchase before you lose the return window in case it doesn't suit your needs.

Everyone, I must thank you for your perspectives and providing assistance to my bud@bendella. He's been slowly climbing the mountain and (by his own admission) not very technical. I didn't have the time to properly do the research and guidance. 

• Thumb Up 1

I cant read that, I think the forum is scaling the picture. 

There should be an option to have an overlay to show when G-sync is on, was going to take a snippet of mine but I turn my monitor off when I go to bed (now at work). 

https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nvdsp/To_know_if_VRR_is_turned_on_in_your_game.htm

• Thumb Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

So after a bit of running this monitor I find no problems with it. Works great, just not a fan of the way text looks on an ips panels as much as a va panel. Runs 1440 games perfect, crystal clear, quick refresh, never see any ghosting or lagging. 10/10