NotebookTalk

Dying Light 2 - Stay Human

cucubits

They posted an updated planned roadmap. Looks like there is hope for some longevity, if the game turns out to be good.

Can't wait, one more week. This one will be hard not to buy as soon as it's out. Hopefully we get some real reviews quickly.

image.thumb.png.da06337438b062f6ef1aa00b011852ca.png

Tell the truth! When dying light first came out, did you skip night mode the first time?

Maximus Z790 Apex ~ 13900K ~ MSI 4090 Suprim X ~ G.Skill Trident Z5 7800 Mhz ~ 1TB Samsung 980 Pro ~ Thermaltake 1650W GF3 ~ AACH100HP Water Chiller ~ Praxis Wet Bench Flat

MSI MEG X570S Unify-X MAX ~ 5950X ~ GTX 1070 ~ G.Skill 3200 Mhz ~ 500GB Samsung 980 Pro ~ Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO Tempered Glass ~ Thermaltake 650W ~ 

Hwbot Profile

23 minutes ago, johnksss said:

Tell the truth! When dying light first came out, did you skip night mode the first time?

Absolutely. I was a complete wimp. Even worse, during the prologue there's the first mission when you go out and as it's getting evening time, you're getting called back to the base. Purely by chance I discovered that time does not advance during that time. If you don't go back and progress the mission, it stays that nice evening forever. I explored the map and gained a bunch of experience at that point, I'm not even ashamed about it 🙂

11 hours ago, cucubits said:

Absolutely. I was a complete wimp. Even worse, during the prologue there's the first mission when you go out and as it's getting evening time, you're getting called back to the base. Purely by chance I discovered that time does not advance during that time. If you don't go back and progress the mission, it stays that nice evening forever. I explored the map and gained a bunch of experience at that point, I'm not even ashamed about it 🙂

There is a time skip where you can force 8 hours to pass, no? Although if I remember correctly you have to actually enter night mode, then you could elect to skip out. Missing on all those points, but man it was crazy time! 😄

• Thanks 1

Maximus Z790 Apex ~ 13900K ~ MSI 4090 Suprim X ~ G.Skill Trident Z5 7800 Mhz ~ 1TB Samsung 980 Pro ~ Thermaltake 1650W GF3 ~ AACH100HP Water Chiller ~ Praxis Wet Bench Flat

MSI MEG X570S Unify-X MAX ~ 5950X ~ GTX 1070 ~ G.Skill 3200 Mhz ~ 500GB Samsung 980 Pro ~ Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO Tempered Glass ~ Thermaltake 650W ~ 

Hwbot Profile

5 hours ago, cucubits said:

lol, by "accident" it looks like some retail copies were let loose in the wild earlier than the release date. I'm almost tempted to go check out the local game stops and best buys 🙂

https://www.pcgamer.com/techland-asks-dying-light-2-fans-not-to-play-the-game-early-please/

I was just watching some game review on that.....She was not a real happy camper about the over all game.

This link has spoilers in it.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/dying-light-2-review-in-progress-look-before-you-leap/1900-6417819/?ftag=NLS-04-10aaa1d

• Bump 1

Hwbot Profile

Just a few days before launch Techland announced that they've included the latest version of Denuvo DRM in their game.

While understandable with regards to stopping early piracy, Denuvo has a very bad track record of ruining performance especially on buggy launch periods in many games.

I'm still going to buy it but I'm not happy about this decision. My machine is not the latest and fastest so even a small performance drop will hurt.

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/reveal-of-dying-light-2-denuvo-drm-angers-fans

• Bump 1

2.5 hours in

So far I like it. Graphics are very nice. Still in the prologue sort of. It's more like a very long, linear, story driven tutorial. Not sure how much is left until the game actually starts and I'm let loose. I've taken my time and explored everything I could. I know they like to hide goodies very well (remember Excalibur and the Korek Machette 🙂 ).

On my laptop running I7-8750h with a 2080, it's very smooth, most settings on high. No obvious bugs so far.

• Thumb Up 1

7.5 hours update (no spoilers)

Started the first main story mission but also went rogue from time to time just to explore and do side stuff.

While it's still fun as a rooftop-exploring-sandbox-zombie-RPG, unfortunately it doesn't feel like Dying Light 1. Sad to say they dumbed it down a lot. Night time is nowhere near as scary or as dark as it was before. If in Dying Light 1 I was genuinely terrified to go out at night, here it's just slightly annoying but I had zero urgency to find shelter. The new "immunity" mechanic is just stupid in my opinion, won't go into details to not spoil anything.

I'm holding a tiny bit of hope that it's just because I'm still during the first main mission so who knows. I haven't seen volatiles roaming around yet and the regular zombies are just as slow at night like daytime.

Anyway, I still like it and will play it of course through the whole story. As a new zombie game, it's great. As a new Dying Light game, not so much.

• Thumb Up 2

Hm thanks for the real info on this, I was concerned about the arena-like style from the videos. I thought Crane was going to be there too since I can't remember ever completely finishing DL1, guess he is gone in some way,  even though I played the heck out of it and still go through periods of playing it a ton from old saves. Just from the color palette it looks too much like a FC or borderlands etc which have really got worse over the years imo. Looks like a firm wait until a sale for me.

PS: I roughly have a 980ti desktop card in here, a 2060m 90w, so looks like I'd have to dial down a few settings to get to a paltry 1k/60.

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/dying-light-2-pc-performance-analysis/

• Thumb Up 1

Almost 20 hours in and unfortunately my post above is still completely accurate.

Dying Light 1 fans are probably somewhat disappointed but it's still a fun zombie-ish RPG. I say zombie-ish because sadly the main focus now seems to have moved towards melee combat against human opponents.

Compared to Dying Light 1, everything is just dumbed down and made easier. The absolute saddest part is that the nights are not scary anymore, just slightly annoying. Even the overall physics seem nerfed, fighting is a bit more clunky and doesn't feel as satisfying as it was in DL1.

Now, had I known all this beforehand, I still would've picked it up. I'm a big fan of zombie games and the graphics/atmosphere are very nice. I like exploring, looking for all side-quests and the main story so far seems interesting and engaging.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't stop playing this. We're at almost 40 hours now and it didn't get boring at all. I just love these types of games so much.

There are sessions where I don't progress the story or any missions at all, I just explore. For hours. Techland has done a great job rewarding this approach, especially in the downtown part of the map with all the tall buildings. There are so many hidden, very hard to reach places with unexpected rewards, which you wouldn't find just randomly without putting in some effort like figuring out the route how to get up there. Sometimes you need to find a way to climb another building and jump over. Sometimes you get to the top and you need to "leap of faith" drop down a few floors to find goodies. 

They do try to limit access to some of these places like making some impossible to reach without progressing the story - for example you need the grappling hook for a number of these. I did say they "try" and not lock it out completely as by pure perseverance and belief, I actually climbed to a spot where clearly I wasn't supposed to, without using the grappling hook and while the satisfaction alone was worth it, I found an extremely powerful weapon there. I have to appreciate they don't level-lock gear and if you find something like this, you can use it immediately. This again appeals to me. I like to do more work at the beginning to get somewhat OP. Hints for this particular example: observatory and bow 😉 

• Thanks 1

I might check this out, or buy it rather. I collect games and let them sit lol. not sure why perhaps im retarded. 😛 lol but honestly whats a fun simple game for a simpleton that I can get for free. should i emulate old games and is that even legal.....got enough troubles with the law

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Sad.

After my last update from a few days ago I played somewhat more focused on the main story... I wanted to see how things turn out and it started getting interesting. Very unexpectedly during the main quest mission I'm at now, I got hit with the dreaded point of no return message telling me to wrap things up before starting the epilogue. I honestly thought there will be way more main missions.

I did do a lot of side stuff but not everything. I'm at 45 hours now and I want more! I know myself, if I complete the main story now, I'll lose interest and stop playing just for the remaining side missions even though most were interesting. On the other hand, I also won't be able to not continue the main story, I have to see the ending I get.

Well, it's done.

It's been such a long time since I was this drawn into a game that I can't even remember. I played it start to finish, not a single boring or annoying section. While it's quite different from DL1, it's been an absolutely amazing experience. I didn't just plow through the main story but I have to admit, towards the end I started ignoring the side stuff. By this point I was more than powerful enough and didn't feel the need to min-max everything. I do regret this a bit, I wish I would've taken it even slower but the main story really was interesting and I had to find out what's going on. I did assign all locations to my chosen faction, that was a lot of fun and running around. Maybe one critique would be that it's slightly on the too easy side. In hindsight, I should've played it on hard. Never died to a "boss fight", all my deaths were from falling off buildings, lol. Just with exploring and doing side missions I could level up almost all perks without too much effort. 

The main story was interesting, some cool twists an unexpected turns. Even though I managed to avoid the game bamboozling me into the wrong choices, I still got the "good" ending, however, it was quite sad. I guess it's expected, after all it is a zombie apocalypse.

I think this is why I stop playing the games I like this much, before finishing them. Until yesterday I was all excited looking forward to playing some more Dying Light 2 and now that it's done, it's all sad. I have no idea how I'm going to cheer myself up now... I don't feel like playing anything for a while.

There is no new game plus and you can't continue to play the game world after the epilogue. Well, you can, as in select continue and it'll load back to before the last mission, but that mission is not available anymore.

Sad.

• 11 months later...

Fired this up again since it's denuvoless now, pretty clunky compared to cyberpunk and that's hard to do. First off starts in dx11 mode so dlss didn't work afaik because it was stuttery as heck even on perf setting and moving down to med on most things. Second no frame limiter in the settings so had to do it with NCP to 60. And now the nagware about my driver version of 527 to get 528 but then starts up so who knows may update that. Looks terrible compared to cp77 at similar settings. Improved with dx12 though that's for sure but had to set that, why it didn't default to dx12 no idea that's what I'm pretty sure I had it on last session back in 22.

Edit: seems to be ok once I updated drivers, etc looks fine just not cp77 good understandable for such an alive open world comparatively. Frustrating climbing though very wonky at times and of course relearning the controls etc

dying light 2 eh..

never tried it but I hear its good. I wish I could buy more games to test out but im saving up for a desktop..hopefully in 20 years ill have enough money lol

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Edit: Ok I think I found out what was causing so much stutter and fps all over the place, it was a huge mod that added a ton to the game but edited almost everything including AI etc took it out and it's much smoother. "I Am Legion reborn" huge mod but you have to have a system that overpowers it, even 3070 owners complained about fps hit, nah gone. Still game takes almost all my system ram 16gb crazy.

Eh I played it a ton last year but coming back to it just feels annoying really, a chore/clunky to play. The endless corny npc chatter, in a world which noise attracts zs wouldn't you try to be quiet? Needs a setting for 25% level of the chatter or less. And it's hard to take in high density places, just a terrible cacophony of npc chatter, insanity level stuff. Second when I first start up it has huge stutter and microfreezing then in the world the fps is all over the place I mean I've got mostly med/low with some high but I set it at 900p to see if it helps, not at all makes no difference coming down from 1k, dlss perf, max 60. It is usually around 60 free roam though making the drops even more sudden. And this being intel the temps are the same at any setting.

I did dl a few QOL things but modding is a bit weird in this game. Merging and such required. And of course techland being techland they conveniently disable legendary items if you mod it, even sp offline, thanks bros! Eh had enough, thought Denuvoless would have helped but either it didn't do anything or it made it worse I can't remember too clearly from last year. Doesn't have the staying power of TW3, GTAV etc after a few months or a year break and it's only better than 1 because more things to do, larger world, better looking, everything else is worse really.

13 hours ago, Hertzian56 said:

btw totally recommend the top mods that take out the lens flare, dirtyness, bloom etc makes it much better. Ez lockpicking, minimize all the qtes, faster run and longer jump, grappling hook better, better weather, turnoff zombie grabbing you, etc

I recall two annoying things which may be fixed by mods. Is there anything to make the light transition from indoor to outdoor better? During the day when going in random houses, the change would be so sudden and annoying. All windows fully open, on all sides, yet the engine thinks it needs to be completely dark in there during the day.

On a similar note, is there a mod to make nights actually nights? I mean make them much darker and present a real threat, not just dim the lights as it is now.