NotebookTalk

Console Style SFF Cases and Builds

FredSRichardson

6 hours ago, FredSRichardson said:

An easy way to mod old laptops into lap docks would be really cool, but I think it is generally a hard problem.  There are mods out there for getting HDMI working with the monitor and USB working with the keyboard, but I get the feeling that building a circuit that would put both of those on Thunerbolt or usb-C is not easy.

I'm thinking the same thing.

I have an old Legion Y740 17" with a crispy motherboard. (I got it cheap for parts as I was considering @seanwee shunt mod on my rtx2080maxQ).

Would make a great lapdock! If I could get hdmi, keyboard and usb on a 3-4 meter lite cable to work then a desktop build is a good option for me.

Best lapdock I have seen so far is still sub par for my requirements.

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

Ok so some new information: Sliger expects the Trego and Elko cases to release at the end of June now. Apparently they're getting held up because some of their other projects keep getting delayed, which is also delaying the release of these cases.

My expectation is for a July or August launch. I'm expecting the release of these cases to be delayed again. It's not really an issue though sinceI don't really plan on actually building the system until Intel releases their Meteor Lake CPUs. That'll yield enough of a performance jump to where I would be comfortable building another system.

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly I'm torn between taking the deep dive into a DIY portable travel PC and instead spending the money on standard PC.  In either case, a good lapdock is still of huge interest given that I don't always use a PC at a desk.

The console style SFFPC would be a great tinkering project though.  Sadly I think I'll be on the fence for a while...

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the very early stages of planning for a SFF build, all I know is that I want to get a Node 202, and do the water cooling mod.

Precision M4800 - i7 4810MQ, 32GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M2200

Thinkpad T430 - i7 3630QM, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 1080p display mod

Main PC - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 10:31 AM, FredSRichardson said:

Honestly I'm torn between taking the deep dive into a DIY portable travel PC and instead spending the money on standard PC.  In either case, a good lapdock is still of huge interest given that I don't always use a PC at a desk.

The console style SFFPC would be a great tinkering project though.  Sadly I think I'll be on the fence for a while...

was thinking of you watch this

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 7/15/2022 at 9:13 PM, ryan said:

was thinking of you watch this

Yeah, that's an interesting compromise.  It's kind of a laptop components in a desktop instead of desktop components in a laptop.  I think if I wanted laptop components I'd buy a laptop though.  With that form factor I'd really want desktop components.

• 2 weeks later...

portable monitor and keyboard lol.....guys are you outta ya minds just get a laptop they were invented for a reason..this is just silly

• Haha 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

42 minutes ago, ryan said:

portable monitor and keyboard lol.....guys are you outta ya minds just get a laptop they were invented for a reason..this is just silly

Heh heh yeah. We're basically trying to make a laptop how it should be.

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

lol yeah I know....you want the power and portability ala laptops when 6990m were mxm. upgradeable cpu gpu ram hdd ect...i still dont get why it all changed. i guess greed

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled