Jump to content
NotebookTalk

Ethical smartphones


Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

I don't have any experience with any of them, but I have some awareness of the Pine phone. Conceptually, the idea of having a phone that runs on Linux rather than Android or iOS is interesting to me and compelling on the basis that there is no underlying agenda.

  • Thumb Up 3

Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | EVGA 3090 K|NGP|N | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360

Banshee // ASUS Strix Z690-E | 12900KS | EVGA 3060 Ti FTW3 | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 850 B5 | 1080 Nova Custom Loop

Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT | Team PremaMod @ HWBOT 

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2022 at 7:53 PM, Ishatix said:

Does anyone have any experience with any of these, or know of any similar options?

 

https://www.fairphone.com/
https://www.shiftphones.com/en/
https://www.pine64.org/
 

I thought it might be good to start a thread on this topic.. probably we could have a similar thread about laptops too come to think of it!

thx for bringing this (back) to my attention, i was actually aware of the fairphone previously but havent paid much attention to it. im currently looking for a new phone for my lady's bday, and i know she would be all over this (shes a "sustainability enthusiast" in her own words haha). although i must say im not convinced on pricing and clunkiness yet, hmmm....

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6600 2x16 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 2x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" UHD 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB

 

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel 12600 @ 4.4 - 4.8 Ghz / Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6 / G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3800 / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Intel AX201 ax+BT / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2022 at 2:29 AM, Mr. Fox said:

I don't have any experience with any of them, but I have some awareness of the Pine phone. Conceptually, the idea of having a phone that runs on Linux rather than Android or iOS is interesting to me and compelling on the basis that there is no underlying agenda.

 

Definitely. Though I think an Android fully open source version / custom ROM free of any Google proprietary bits is pretty much equivalent in that regard? Though always good to have choice between some different projects. Murena sell "de-Googled" phones for example:
https://murena.com/smartphones/
https://murena.com/shop/

 

I have some other resources related to providing a Google-free Android experience. Maybe should start a separate thread on that subject...

 

9 hours ago, Reciever said:

Last I saw fairphone didnt sell to the US, but maybe they are more flexible now, the new device looks pretty nice

 

I think Teracube is an alternative option in the US, though not sure how great they look tbh:
https://myteracube.com/

 

Another project I forgot to mention in the original post is the Monocles phone, but not sure if that is still an active project:
https://monocles.wiki/index.php?title=Monocles_phone_x

 

 

3 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

thx for bringing this (back) to my attention, i was actually aware of the fairphone previously but havent paid much attention to it. im currently looking for a new phone for my lady's bday, and i know she would be all over this (shes a "sustainability enthusiast" in her own words haha). although i must say im not convinced on pricing and clunkiness yet, hmmm....

 

Yeah, it seems like you inevitably have to pay a premium to not be evil when it comes to tech unfortunately. And I figure it's still even better than any new option just to use older / second-hand phones and keep them working for longer. Though I suppose part of the whole idea around Fairphone and the like is that they are easier to maintain or upgrade, and should hoepfully therefore last you a longer time.

  • Thumb Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Ishatix said:

I think Teracube is an alternative option in the US, though not sure how great they look tbh:
https://myteracube.com/

The idea behind the project is great, but the specs are lackluster. The headphone jack, removable storage media and removable battery are certainly hardware features that are desirable. The rest is not much better than pre-paid burner phone rubbish. https://myteracube.com/pages/teracube-2e#tech-spec-secs

 

Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | EVGA 3090 K|NGP|N | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360

Banshee // ASUS Strix Z690-E | 12900KS | EVGA 3060 Ti FTW3 | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 850 B5 | 1080 Nova Custom Loop

Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT | Team PremaMod @ HWBOT 

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

The idea behind the project is great, but the specs are lackluster. The headphone jack, removable storage media and removable battery are certainly hardware features that are desirable. The rest is not much better than pre-paid burner phone rubbish. https://myteracube.com/pages/teracube-2e#tech-spec-secs

 

 

Yeah, that was my impression too.

 

I've made a new thread for Google-free Android here now:
https://notebooktalk.net/topic/500-google-free-android/

 

The first ever thread in that sub-forum, my 69th post, and the 500th thread in the forum... 😄

 

EDIT: How do you have 699 posts already!!? ❤️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ishatix said:

EDIT: How do you have 699 posts already!!? ❤️

I guess I am the keyboard-jockey equivalent of a blabber-mouth. 😉 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | EVGA 3090 K|NGP|N | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360

Banshee // ASUS Strix Z690-E | 12900KS | EVGA 3060 Ti FTW3 | 32GB DDR5 | EVGA 850 B5 | 1080 Nova Custom Loop

Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT | Team PremaMod @ HWBOT 

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonder how much it is to ship a Pinephone here to Spain. I don't use my phone much other than YT and some messaging, so Linux on a phone becomes more and more appealing by the day.

Kirisame: Custom build

       Ryzen 7 5800X

       32GB HyperX DDR4-3733 CL18

       ASRock Phantom D OC RX 6800XT

       1TB Samsung OEM gen4

       2TB Inland Platinum

       2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2022 at 1:52 PM, Katja said:

Wonder how much it is to ship a Pinephone here to Spain. I don't use my phone much other than YT and some messaging, so Linux on a phone becomes more and more appealing by the day.

 

Yeah, same here. I don't even have my phone switched on at the moment. I use Signal these days to stay in contact with people and just use the desktop app for that mainly.

 

I'm still a little confused as to what the draw is of having a Linux phone over simply a Google-free Android and/or custom ROM. Is it for more control and configurability? Or is there certain Linux software that would be useful to run on it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Ishatix said:

 

Yeah, same here. I don't even have my phone switched on at the moment. I use Signal these days to stay in contact with people and just use the desktop app for that mainly.

 

I'm still a little confused as to what the draw is of having a Linux phone over simply a Google-free Android and/or custom ROM. Is it for more control and configurability? Or is there certain Linux software that would be useful to run on it?

i can imagine a potential lure would be more control over privacy, more flexibility on customizations and a truly open system.

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6600 2x16 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 2x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" UHD 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB

 

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel 12600 @ 4.4 - 4.8 Ghz / Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6 / G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3800 / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Intel AX201 ax+BT / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

i can imagine a potential lure would be more control over privacy, more flexibility on customizations and a truly open system.

Thanks, and yes, I've been having a quick look into it more now, and that does seem to be the important parameters. There's a few other points mentioned here:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/things-consider-linux-smartphone-os/


I hadn't considered the idea of a dual boot phone before which seems like an interesting approach. You could keep your daily driver OS more open source and private (e.g. Linux), while having a more "standard" Android OS just for running say Google Maps. I anticipate potential problems keeping communications synced between the two, but I think it can work OK with the right choice of messaging app. It might be simpler though just to have two different phones (like I have separate ones for comms and GPS navigation respectively).

 

There's really quite a spectrum of different options built upon the Linux kernel, with the main split between the Linux or Android operating environment built on top of that, and then further splits between more open source Android, or more Google and proprietary software Android. There's a nice little introduction to Linux phones in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSudn0qB6u0


It's coming from a less technical younger person's point of view, but not a bad overview all the same. I agree that choice of applications is probably the biggest issue, though I don't agree that there no motivation to develop open-source alternatives (the reality of what we have today clearly demonstrates otherwise).

 

One important issue that doesn't seem to get much attention when considering alternatives is that any solution that requires rooting your phone can immediately make it incompatible with banking apps in particular. I don't like to do banking on my phone anyway, but an increasing number of banks are starting to make apps mandatory for login (there's a deeper issue here about non-technical corporate boardrooms making decisions about what hardware and software we can use). I wonder how compatibility is here with some of the purchased as new solutions. Presumably it is still an issue with the more Linux environment based ones.

 

 

I also came across this table comparing a few different Linux phones:
https://liliputing.com/phones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

It think it would be cheaper and better to get a used flagship and unlock the bootloader. Even if you want something high end, phone efficiency is plateauing, so you wouldn't miss much getting a used SD855 phone.

 

When the used flagship breaks, carefully replace the stuffs in it. If you can work on laptops and not break stuff, you can work on a phone too.

  • Thumb Up 1

Thinkpad T430 - i7 3630QM, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 1080p display mod

Elitebook 8770W - i5 3320M (Temporary), 16GB RAM, GTX 980m (broken)

Main PC - Ryzen 7 2700X, 48GB RAM, GTX 970

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, K4sum1 said:

It think it would be cheaper and better to get a used flagship and unlock the bootloader. Even if you want something high end, phone efficiency is plateauing, so you wouldn't miss much getting a used SD855 phone.

 

When the used flagship breaks, carefully replace the stuffs in it. If you can work on laptops and not break stuff, you can work on a phone too.

what keeps me away from buying used phones is the battery. id have to research first how good the support for that particular phone model is by third party shops able to replace the battery first before making such a decision.

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6600 2x16 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 2x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" UHD 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB

 

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel 12600 @ 4.4 - 4.8 Ghz / Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6 / G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3800 / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Intel AX201 ax+BT / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jaybee83 said:

what keeps me away from buying used phones is the battery. id have to research first how good the support for that particular phone model is by third party shops able to replace the battery first before making such a decision.

Hmm, yeah. I usually just buy the cheapest new battery. I don't like old OEM batteries as they bloat up real quick.

Thinkpad T430 - i7 3630QM, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 1080p display mod

Elitebook 8770W - i5 3320M (Temporary), 16GB RAM, GTX 980m (broken)

Main PC - Ryzen 7 2700X, 48GB RAM, GTX 970

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why get a $800usd smartphone for privacy when you could just get a $30usd prepaid phone without Android/iOS which is better in terms of privacy thatn those overpriced "privacy focused" devices without apps.

  • Haha 1

CLEVO PT870TM1-G || i7 8700K || 32 GB 2400MHz || Nvidia GTX 1080 x 2 || 1440p @120Hz
HP ZBOOK 17 G3 || Xeon E3-1535M v5 || 16 GB 2400MHz || Nvidia Quadro GTX M5000M || 1080p @60Hz
DELL PRECISION M6400 || C2Q QX9300 || Nvidia Quadro FX3700M || 1200p @60Hz || RETIRED

LG 27UK850-W || 2160p @60Hz || AMD Freesync
OC.net profile (luisxd)

Heatware profile (luisxd)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, luisxd said:

Why get a $800usd smartphone for privacy when you could just get a $30usd prepaid phone without Android/iOS which is better in terms of privacy thatn those overpriced "privacy focused" devices without apps.

beCUZ mez wants everything! 😛 just like the sheeple want sub 1 inch GAMING laptops with ALL the powahs and ALL the batteryz 😄 

  • Haha 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6600 2x16 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 2x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" UHD 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB

 

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel 12600 @ 4.4 - 4.8 Ghz / Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6 / G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3800 / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Intel AX201 ax+BT / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

beCUZ mez wants everything! 😛 just like the sheeple want sub 1 inch GAMING laptops with ALL the powahs and ALL the batteryz 😄 

The Librem 5 actually looks interesting, with a better price it could be an Android killer. I'd get it for sure, but not for privacy :P

CLEVO PT870TM1-G || i7 8700K || 32 GB 2400MHz || Nvidia GTX 1080 x 2 || 1440p @120Hz
HP ZBOOK 17 G3 || Xeon E3-1535M v5 || 16 GB 2400MHz || Nvidia Quadro GTX M5000M || 1080p @60Hz
DELL PRECISION M6400 || C2Q QX9300 || Nvidia Quadro FX3700M || 1200p @60Hz || RETIRED

LG 27UK850-W || 2160p @60Hz || AMD Freesync
OC.net profile (luisxd)

Heatware profile (luisxd)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The old fantastic Nokia 8210 is back. People do you remember this one? I had two of them. 

 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nokia-8210-is-back-in-2022-with-4G-LTE-and-microSD-card-support.634286.0.html

 

image.png.aeb678ffb02bae6f0f2d0820a4160f28.png

  • Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 1

"The Killer"  ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex | 13900K | Zotac graphics | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt  |  Custom Loop

 Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I own a Pinephone(2GB model) with Mobian, while in concept it's cool, in practice it wasn't that cool, as app support is still a bit abysmal(Even with Waydroid, which I couldn't even get working) as most apps either wont run at all, or are not optimized for phone screens. I just use a Galaxy Note 8 in it's place.

  • Thumb Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 7:20 PM, ColtC7 said:

I own a Pinephone(2GB model) with Mobian, while in concept it's cool, in practice it wasn't that cool, as app support is still a bit abysmal(Even with Waydroid, which I couldn't even get working) as most apps either wont run at all, or are not optimized for phone screens. I just use a Galaxy Note 8 in it's place.

 

Yeah, I have heard from others that it's really more orientated towards being a second device that devs can start using as a platform to do more work towards pushing mobile Linux forwards, and not so great as your main daily driver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use