NotebookTalk

MSI GT77

VEGGIM

The gt76 is getting a successor. Called the gt77. Here's the thing though, its a 12th gen HX cpu not a 12th gen Desktop K cpu. It also seems to be thinner than the gt76.

23mm compared to 46mm like the gt76

So yeah it looks like mxm and most likely socketable cpu laptops might be close to it's death.

Apparently it's specs: Msi Titan GT77 (Core I9 12th Gen) - Price And Full Specs - Laptop6
Source: MSI confirms TITAN GT77 gaming laptop will feature Intel Alder Lake-HX CPU - VideoCardz.com
https://www.msi.com/news/detail/MSI-Unveil-Its-New-Lineup-at-COMPUTEX-2022-Online140228

ngcb1

MSI-TITAN-GT77-5.jpg

MSI-TITAN-GT77-4.jpg

MSI-TITAN-SPECS.jpg

• Thumb Up 1

12 minutes ago, wilpang said:

Is it true that it's going to be thinner than the GE76?

Sure, at this point most manufacturers value thinness over performance and/or noise. Even worse marketing departments are instructed to push this as a feature so we have a whole new generation of consumers who believe nothing else.

A true enthusiast DTR would only ship with a throwaway LGA processor for the purpose of verifying the motherboard is functional. Anything truely high end isn't something that can be mass produced and the individual user would have to find/settle on how good a bin CPU they use. It would also have overbuilt, separate cooling systems for CPU and GPU so you can push as far as someone might with an air cooled desktop. The bios would also allow desktop level configuration so tuning is possible without any additional OS software, certainly not manufacturer provided software. You would also not be forced into specific tiers of CPU+GPU. Want an i9 and only need an RTX 3060? that combo won't be available and you either have to accept the inferior CPU or overpay for an idling GPU. Anything less is actually just an overpriced computer "appliance", not really a DTR.

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

43 minutes ago, win32asmguy said:

Sure, at this point most manufacturers value thinness over performance and/or noise. Even worse marketing departments are instructed to push this as a feature so we have a whole new generation of consumers who believe nothing else.

A true enthusiast DTR would only ship with a throwaway LGA processor for the purpose of verifying the motherboard is functional. Anything truely high end isn't something that can be mass produced and the individual user would have to find/settle on how good a bin CPU they use. It would also have overbuilt, separate cooling systems for CPU and GPU so you can push as far as someone might with an air cooled desktop. The bios would also allow desktop level configuration so tuning is possible without any additional OS software, certainly not manufacturer provided software. You would also not be forced into specific tiers of CPU+GPU. Want an i9 and only need an RTX 3060? that combo won't be available and you either have to accept the inferior CPU or overpay for an idling GPU. Anything less is actually just an overpriced computer "appliance", not really a DTR.

Gonna guess because he have HX cpus now. which for me feel like they wanted to port desktop cpus onto laptop gpus. Sockets become unecessary. But i will assume that its because its mux or something. But who knows.

Sooo expensive for sure 😒

• Sad 1

cheerio

jp

1. Desktop Gaming RIG | i7 13700KF | MSI MEGZ690 Unify | F5-6400 CL32 not testet yet  | M.2_1 SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 1TB | MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio white Edition | Lian Li O11D XL with 10 Fan setup | 3 bottom (in-take) | 3 top (in-take) | 3 side (out-take | 1 back (out.take)
2. Mobile Gaming | Raider GE78HX 13VI

3. MSI GS63VR 6RF Stealth
4. MSI GE73VR 7RF Raider with 4K Screen

R.I.P GE76 Raider 11UH-208 UK with BOE CQ NE173QHM-NZ1 WQHD 240Hz

Looks like there will also be GE77Hx and GE67Hx, similar to the GE76 and GE66, but with 12800HX. Pricing appears to be lower than the GT77. Not much information about them so far but they may be released either June 6th at the MSIology event alongside the GT77 or June 1st according to some Amazon pre-order date.

• Thumb Up 1

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

2 hours ago, DukeCLR said:

Looks like a nice machine, I wish it wasn't bigger then my GT73 otherwise I'd grab one.  I'll be getting a GE77 of some sort.

It is ca. 33 mm deeper but less wide and a lot slimmer and about 2 lbs lighter.

As there is no power connector on the back you can move it a bit closer to the wall but not too much (rear exhaust)

If I was into gaming I would probably wait though for the upcoming 40x0 cards unless I had trouble with specific games.

• Thumb Up 1

Apparently, it's slightly faster than Clevo X170KM-G. It's on my radar if my problems persist after flashing the Xmg Gear2 bios. I wouldn't kick it out of bed for being thinner and lighter... 😜

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2022 at 6:44 PM, br2 said:

Apparently, it's slightly faster than Clevo X170KM-G. It's on my radar if my problems persist after flashing the Xmg Gear2 bios. I wouldn't kick it out of bed for being thinner and lighter... 😜

Another member in danger of falling for the cult of BGA I see....

This GT77 is so slim that they could have easily socketed the CPU and it still would have been a lot slimmer than the GT76 - shame!

With that being said R23 single core should be up by up by 10 to 20% and R23 multi core about 50 to 60%. No idea how that will translate to real world workloads that you have but the numbers are certainly impressive.

Modularity and repairability will go down by about 90% so you pays your money and you takes your chances after the warranty is over.

3 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Another member in danger of falling for the cult of BGA I see....

Eh, i don't care about anything but how fast i can do my work, it has 4 M.2 slots and 4 ram slots. i'll have upgraded to something faster by the time the warranty is up.

43 minutes ago, br2 said:

Eh, i don't care about anything but how fast i can do my work, it has 4 M.2 slots and 4 ram slots. i'll have upgraded to something faster by the time the warranty is up.

In that case it looks like one of the better choices for this year as I do not expect even more powerful CPU's before 2023 and at the moment even the only one.

As you say it has 4 NVME and 4 RAM slots that I also use myself and the pickings are slim for people who want to do that.

One thing that I could think of as being an issue might be noise - not sure how much of an issue that could be compared to the Clevo but then some people just don't care and/or use headphones 😄

• Thumb Up 1

1 minute ago, 1610ftw said:

One thing that I could think of as being an issue might be noise - not sure how much of an issue that could be compared to the Clevo but then some people just don't care and/or use headphones 😄

Nobody will ever match Clevo for fan noise...

Btw, back when there were real dtr's, did anyone ever upgrade the cpu before the socket was obsolete?

• Haha 1

Just now, br2 said:

Nobody will ever match Clevo for fan noise...

Looks like you haven't heard the MSI GT75 😁

1 minute ago, br2 said:

Btw, back when there were real dtr's, did anyone ever upgrade the cpu before the socket was obsolete?

The Clevo P870 and P775 chassis could be upgraded from initially having 4 core processors to 6 and then ultimately 8 cores over the span of 4 or 5 years so yes, it was possible although it was not exactly a plug and play kind of thing as you needed a special bios. I think they even made a special bios to be able to go from 64 gig of RAM to 128 gig for the later P870 units.

If Clevo had made a socketed successor to the X170 with the 1700 socket that would have been my recommendation for you as we will probably get at least 24 cores by the end of the year. I will not need that but it may have been good for you.

• Thumb Up 1

1 minute ago, 1610ftw said:

If Clevo had made a socketed successor to the X170 with the 1700 socket that would have been my recommendation for you as we will probably get at least 24 cores by the end of the year. I will not need that but it may have been good for you.

Clevo has fallen and it remains to be seen if they can get up...

2 hours ago, br2 said:

Clevo has fallen and it remains to be seen if they can get up...

Indeed.

If you get the MSI let us know how it works out and you may also want to check out the workstation version that is supposed to come with a smaller GPU so it may be less costly and less flashy than the GT77. It probably also has a more silent keyboard if that is of concern:

https://www.msi.com/Content-Creation/CreatorPro-X17-A12UX/Overview

On the other hand the MSI workstations seem to be not that popular so resale value of the GT77 will probably be higher.

New video from GenTech PC:

They also have it in stock starting at ca. 3100$:

https://www.gentechpc.com/searchresults.asp?Search=Msi+gt77&Submit=

They have a few benchmarks in there that seem less than impressive and the cooler is taken out revealing the rather puny looking heatpipe system.

Temperature in the performance cores also is all over the place and I would expect that to hold back performance:

image.thumb.png.e397628c16526b5c54fda14e1f271043.png

Eluktronics Prometheus with the Prema mod and possibly liquid cooling and the conventionally cooled MSI GE76 Raider smoke it for both CPU and GPU score in Time Spy, would have expected better out of the box performance:

https://www.3dmark.com/search#advanced?test=spy P&cpuId=&gpuId=1433&gpuCount=0&gpuType=ALL&deviceType=ALL&storageModel=ALL&memoryChannels=0&country=&scoreType=overallScore&hofMode=false&showInvalidResults=false&freeParams=&minGpuCoreClock=&maxGpuCoreClock=&minGpuMemClock=&maxGpuMemClock=&minCpuClock=&maxCpuClock=

On 6/19/2022 at 4:14 AM, 1610ftw said:

Eluktronics Prometheus with the Prema mod and possibly liquid cooling and the conventionally cooled MSI GE76 Raider smoke it for both CPU and GPU score in Time Spy, would have expected better out of the box performance:

https://www.3dmark.com/search#advanced?test=spy P&cpuId=&gpuId=1433&gpuCount=0&gpuType=ALL&deviceType=ALL&storageModel=ALL&memoryChannels=0&country=&scoreType=overallScore&hofMode=false&showInvalidResults=false&freeParams=&minGpuCoreClock=&maxGpuCoreClock=&minGpuMemClock=&maxGpuMemClock=&minCpuClock=&maxCpuClock=

Yes I think the liquid cooling with the tongfang clones this cycle is a huge unappreciated game changer.  It is going to give simply unbeatable performance for a notebook replacement and offers essentially no disadvantage when not available other than having to drain the laptop before taking it anywhere.  The rest of the manufacturers need to catch up quick and offer liquid options.  That and chopping fan noise in half make it a no brainer.  Surprisingly the 'knock off' company has overtaken the established masters.