NotebookTalk

Dell Precision 7670 & Dell Precision 7770 owner's thread

6 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

My "requirements" for a new laptop are basically thus:

• Alder Lake HX (for hybrid architecture) + high-end NVIDIA dGPU
  • 128GB RAM
  • Four NVMe slots
  • 17-inch display panel strongly preferred

...There are remarkably few systems out there that hit all of these marks; I'm only aware of two, this one and MSI GT77.  I'd prefer to stay with Dell, I have a long history with them and I know what to expect in terms of support (...and GT77's keyboard layout is even worse than 7770's).  Four NVMe slots in particular seems to be hard to come by in the current generation models.  If there are other systems out there that run Alder Lake HX better but don't hit my other bullet points, then I'm not interested in them...  I'll happily trade a bit of performance for the extra storage capacity.

As far as I remember what this year has to offer, even if you were to lower some of these requirements, you'd still not find too many good options, especially if you're want a business workstation and not a pure gaming laptop.

Say you're willing to go down to 3 NVMe slots or maybe max out at 64GB RAM, you're still not going to find anything better than Dell IMO.

Congrats on finally getting your machine delivered :) I'm still waiting for my rep to come back to me... :D (summer holidays here)

• Bump 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

13 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I will say, from my perspective, I've never been one worry that much about eeking out every last bit of performance from a system; I just need it to work for what I need it to do.  So, I'm not anywhere near a point where I am "dissatisfied" with the 7770 and it is not in danger of being returned (as long as the display issue gets sorted).  It is of course leaps and bounds better than my M6700, and even if these Cinebench scores are "low", they top what can be achieved on the prior-gen 11th gen Precision 7760 by a fair margin (as I understand it, 12500-ish before getting into tweaks).

Understood, but you still want to figure out if this is it with regard to performance or not.

From what I can gather you are getting graphics performance that you could also get with the RTX A4500 card (more below) and that isn't right. As Dell charges almost no surcharge for the 12950 it does not make sense to get something smaller but it still is a rather low score.

• 128GB RAM
  • Four NVMe slots

Hehe, we seem to have the same shopping list except for the GPU 🙂

...There are remarkably few systems out there that hit all of these marks; I'm only aware of two, this one and MSI GT77.  I'd prefer to stay with Dell, I have a long history with them and I know what to expect in terms of support (...and GT77's keyboard layout is even worse than 7770's).  Four NVMe slots in particular seems to be hard to come by in the current generation models.  If there are other systems out there that run Alder Lake HX better but don't hit my other bullet points, then I'm not interested in them...  I'll happily trade a bit of performance for the extra storage capacity.

The keyboard layout of the GT77 is an insult, even more so for its workstation version - very nice to type but no idea who was the imbecile who thought it was a good idea to go with that key size and key arrangement for the numpad and it other keys.

I would think that support is also better with Dell so for your use case the 7770 would be preferable.

hat said, I certainly don't want to be leaving performance on the table and if there is something "wrong" here then I would want to address it.  So, what I want to do now is basically wait until some more users have 7770's and we can see if they experience the same thing as me.  If not, I'll take steps to get mine fixed.  If so, then we're looking at something more systemic and maybe an issue with the thermal design.  (...I'll also take a look at benchmark results from other Alder Lake HX models, which some of you guys are probably more aware of than me, just to see if maybe we aren't setting expectations a bit too high.)

I cannot help with the 7770 part of things but I can comment on the performance expectation of the hardware.

The GE76 that I currently have here with a 3070 Ti and the 12700H can do ca. 12000 Time Spy and over 17000 CR23 out of the box. 

With some tweaking (MSI Afterburner and Throttlestop no repasting or bios tweaks) I can get up to about 12900 Time Spy and 18000 CR23 for single runs, ca. 15800 sustained. That was with Prochot set to 95 so with Prochot set to 100 it would probably be good for a few hundred more. 

As you can see those are higher scores but with an inferior CPU and GPU and the CPU cooling capability of the GE76 is not that great which seems to be the norm for most gaming machines as during gaming CPU power will be reduced anyway.

With the GT77 with your CPU and GPU hardware equivalent you are looking at ca. 13500 Time Spy and higher from what I can see and 24K CR23 single run and around 20 to 21K CR23 for repeated runs. For that one there also is not that much data so far except for a number of Time Spy leaderboard rankings where the best scores are between 14.5 and 15K but who knows how these are achieved.

As for your unit it would be good to check your paste application as the cooling solution does not look so anemic that it should not stay cooler with only 75W sustained CPU usage but no reasons to do that before you machine is swapped.

• Bump 1

7 hours ago, serpro69 said:

As far as I remember what this year has to offer, even if you were to lower some of these requirements, you'd still not find too many good options, especially if you're want a business workstation and not a pure gaming laptop.

Say you're willing to go down to 3 NVMe slots or maybe max out at 64GB RAM, you're still not going to find anything better than Dell IMO.

Congrats on finally getting your machine delivered 🙂 I'm still waiting for my rep to come back to me... 😄(summer holidays here)

The Zbook Fury 16 G9 has support for 128GB DDR5 SODIMMS and 4x NVMe drives, but it also only has 80W GPU TDP and I am unsure of the CPU TDP. Also no 3080Ti GPU or a 120hz display.

• Thumb Up 1

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

7 hours ago, serpro69 said:

Congrats on finally getting your machine delivered 🙂 I'm still waiting for my rep to come back to me... 😄(summer holidays here)

With space for at least 4 SSDs and 128GB memory it used to be Clevo, HP, Dell  and MSI and I think those only came with a 17" screen.

Add top tier GPU and you were down to Clevo, MSI and Dell and now Clevo have sold their soul to Intel for this generation, hopefully to return for the next top tier GPU (and CPU) generation.

• Thumb Up 1

17 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:
  1. Thanks for the feedback.  I will say, from my perspective, I've never been one worry that much about eeking out every last bit of performance from a system; I just need it to work for what I need it to do.  So, I'm not anywhere near a point where I am "dissatisfied" with the 7770 and it is not in danger of being returned (as long as the display issue gets sorted).  It is of course leaps and bounds better than my M6700, and even if these Cinebench scores are "low", they top what can be achieved on the prior-gen 11th gen Precision 7760 by a fair margin (as I understand it, 12500-ish before getting into tweaks).

• 128GB RAM
  • Four NVMe slots

That said, I certainly don't want to be leaving performance on the table and if there is something "wrong" here then I would want to address it.  So, what I want to do now is basically wait until some more users have 7770's and we can see if they experience the same thing as me.  If not, I'll take steps to get mine fixed.  If so, then we're looking at something more systemic and maybe an issue with the thermal design.  (...I'll also take a look at benchmark results from other Alder Lake HX models, which some of you guys are probably more aware of than me, just to see if maybe we aren't setting expectations a bit too high.)

It's not a matter of squeezing the most out of the hardware, looking for every point in benchmarks, but the performance of your 7770 in both CPU and GPU is below acceptable.

If this is the standard the new 7770 represents a downgrade in cooling capacity compared to the 7740/7750/7760.

On the CBR23 the score, sustained power and temperatures are horrible. A performance level close to that achieved by the GT77 was never expected, but an acceptable performance for this precision would be able to maintain the 85W of the PL1 without thermal throttling reaching 17500-18000 on the CBR23.

On Time Spy its CPU score is super low, at the level of an average i7-11800H. The 3080Ti is also low, with a maximum TGP of 150W its score should be ~12000.

My guess is your unit has a problem with either misapplying thermal paste or poor contact heatsink...

Otherwise, why a high-end i9 HX + high end dGPU if the system can't extract minimally decent performance for the hardware?

7 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

From what I can gather you are getting graphics performance that you could also get with the RTX A4500 card (more below) and that isn't right.

Actually, that is exactly what I expected.  Performance between 4000 and 5000-level GPU has been basically the same in the Precision line since Quadro P4200/P5200 in the Precision 7730 in 2018.  No reason to spend extra on the 5000-level card unless you need the extra vRAM (...actually that's not even a reason anymore since they both have 16GB this time around).  This is basically because both cards have the same power limit and they have no issue hitting it.  5000-level gets a teeny efficiency bonus from spreading out the load more and operating more cores at a lower clock speed, but in practice this is less than a 5% performance gain (for a $1000+ upgrade).

This time around, A5500/3080Ti have a slightly higher power limit than A4500, at 150W vs. 140W.  However, I suspect that we will see all of these GPUs spend most of their time at 130W without entering boost power states (not sure why this is exactly) so it is the exact same issue as past generations.  (In my system, I observed a maximum GPU power draw of 130W during 3DMark runs despite the NVIDIA control panel "system information" thing showing 150W as the max).

(Side note — I wonder if the 3080Ti power limit can be bumped up by cross-flashing the vBIOS from a different laptop model?  There should be plenty to choose from.  Even Dell ones from the Alienware lineup.)

Which reminds me...

23 hours ago, drnoob13 said:

How much does it cost compared to the available options, e.g. A4500 and A5500?

I neglected to comment on the GPU prices in my reply above.  RTX 3080 Ti costs about $200 more than A4500 and $800 less than A5500 (USD).

7 hours ago, win32asmguy said:

The Zbook Fury 16 G9 has support for 128GB DDR5 SODIMMS and 4x NVMe drives, but it also only has 80W GPU TDP and I am unsure of the CPU TDP. Also no 3080Ti GPU or a 120hz display.

I saw that the ZBook has 4× NVMe, however, I rather suspect that a HP workstation will cost more for less performance (and other compromises like those you mention and no 17" option)... and, to my knowledge, they are not shipping systems yet.

On 7/30/2022 at 3:01 PM, win32asmguy said:

Poor thermal contact with heatsink;

7 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

As for your unit it would be good to check your paste application as the cooling solution does not look so anemic that it should not stay cooler with only 75W sustained CPU usage but no reasons to do that before you machine is swapped.

3 hours ago, PHVM_BR said:

My guess is your unit has a problem with either misapplying thermal paste or poor contact heatsink...

I am considering a repaste to see if that helps.  I have no compunction against doing it; I did it many times with my M6700 whenever I needed to remove the heatsink.  I was hoping not to disturb the factory paste job so soon, since Dell is supposedly using a better compound at the factory now.  I'd still like to wait and see what other 7770 users experience first.  However, when I have the tech come and replace my display panel, there's a chance that he will want to disturb the heatsink (I don't think it should be necessary to remove the heatsink to replace the display panel, but @Ionising_Radiation recently mentioned that a tech did so with his Precision 7560).  I will make sure to have some quality paste on hand in case he does and I will just do the repaste right then.

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

I did follow up with the support team on the criteria for panel replacement and got basically an apology for what was relayed over to me on the phone when I first put the request in.  They will replace panels with one or more bright subpixels.  There is a "possible backlog" on the LCD panel replacement that I need, seems like they can't completely figure out the details or ETA during the weekend.  (Makes sense, though... given that there still seems to be supply issues around just getting these things out.  I can wait.)

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

4 hours ago, PHVM_BR said:

The poor thermal performance is not only shown on Aaron’s unit. An earlier 7770 unboxing from a Chinese forum, Chiphell.com also reflects poor cooling performance. ~6300 multi-core performance in CPU-z with a i7-12850HX installed and around 5000 GPU score in TIME SPY with A3000 installed. The A3000 installed on Precision5760 can reach around 8500 level. The performance is throttled due to the thermal limit as the GPU hotspot has reached over 80 Celsius degree. The TGP is actively limited to 55 watts simultaneously.

I am guessing the new heat sink design does not fit to these high end chips, and the to re-paste the thermal paste won’t really make a huge change. btw, PTM7950sp is a good choice for laptop heat sink.

I am hoping Dell can apply vapor chamber heat sink like 5000 series did in the next generation 7000series MWS…

• Thumb Up 2

Precision 7680 i9-13950HX - NVIDIA RTX 5000 Ada 16G - 96G DDR5 - UHD+ Display - 3840*2400 OLED - 6T NVMe

34 minutes ago, yslalan said:

O fraco desempenho térmico não é mostrado apenas na unidade de Aaron. Um unboxing anterior do 7770 de um fórum chinês, Chiphell.com também reflete um desempenho de refrigeração ruim. ~6300 desempenho multi-core em CPU-z com um i7-12850HX instalado e cerca de 5000 pontos de GPU em TIME SPY com A3000 instalado. O A3000 instalado no Precision5760 pode atingir cerca de 8500 níveis. O desempenho é limitado devido ao limite térmico, pois o hotspot da GPU atingiu mais de 80 graus Celsius. O TGP está ativamente limitado a 55 watts simultaneamente.

Eu estou supondo que o novo design do dissipador de calor não se encaixa nesses chips de ponta, e colar novamente a pasta térmica não fará uma grande mudança. btw, PTM7950sp é uma boa escolha para dissipador de calor de laptop.

Espero que a Dell possa aplicar o dissipador de calor da câmara de vapor como a série 5000 fez na próxima geração do MWS da série 7000…

I saw this review...but I don't even consider the possibility of the gpu being limited to 55W when in full load simultaneously with the CPU. It's certainly a bug to be fixed with an update. His at least has a sustained power of 85W with the i9 in multicore full load.

Impossible for dell to have done all this internal update to get these results.

I have a Precision 7540 and I get 75W sustained on the CPU (i7-9750H) and 60W on the GPU (T2000) running Prime95 and Furmark simultaneously.

2 hours ago, yslalan said:

The poor thermal performance is not only shown on Aaron’s unit. An earlier 7770 unboxing from a Chinese forum, Chiphell.com also reflects poor cooling performance. ~6300 multi-core performance in CPU-z with a i7-12850HX installed and around 5000 GPU score in TIME SPY with A3000 installed. The A3000 installed on Precision5760 can reach around 8500 level. The performance is throttled due to the thermal limit as the GPU hotspot has reached over 80 Celsius degree. The TGP is actively limited to 55 watts simultaneously.

I am guessing the new heat sink design does not fit to these high end chips, and the to re-paste the thermal paste won’t really make a huge change. btw, PTM7950sp is a good choice for laptop heat sink.

I am hoping Dell can apply vapor chamber heat sink like 5000 series did in the next generation 7000series MWS…

Dell Precision 7770 Test form China. Seems to be thermally limited, The GPU is locked at 55W.

https://www.chiphell.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2431029&extra=page%3D1&mobile=2

Dell Latitude D600 (Work), Dell Precision M2400(Work), Dell Precision M7670(Work)

7 hours ago, PHVM_BR said:

I saw this review...but I don't even consider the possibility of the gpu being limited to 55W when in full load simultaneously with the CPU. It's certainly a bug to be fixed with an update. His at least has a sustained power of 85W with the i9 in multicore full load.

Impossible for dell to have done all this internal update to get these results.

I have a Precision 7540 and I get 75W sustained on the CPU (i7-9750H) and 60W on the GPU (T2000) running Prime95 and Furmark simultaneously.

I agree that it is most likely some kind of software bug causing some of the trouble but it would also be an issue with how the new heatsink design has to be mounted and making contact as temperatures get very high with without the CPU or GPU using all that much power. A bad paste job is unlikely imo as the sole reason as several systems seem to have very similar issues.

The power supply of the 7770 tells us that it is not meant for absolute peak performance but as it is now Dell would have to be ashamed of the results for its top tier workstation so I expect for them to find ways to improve upon the performance that @Aaron44126 and others are seeing.

• Thumb Up 1

18 hours ago, win32asmguy said:

Yes, I remember Fury G9 was briefly discussed in the pre-release thread.

I really doubt it will have better performance compared to Dell though. It will also probably cost more (at comparing prices from previous years between Dell and HP). And IMO dell's support is way better. In addition it only offers 16" model, and it's also uglier than dell :D This isn't even mentioning what you already said about gpu and display refresh rate.

So no, I personally can't consider it a worthy alternative.

• Bump 3

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

2 hours ago, serpro69 said:

Yes, I remember Fury G9 was briefly discussed in the pre-release thread.

I really doubt it will have better performance compared to Dell though. It will also probably cost more (at comparing prices from previous years between Dell and HP). And IMO dell's support is way better. In addition it only offers 16" model, and it's also uglier than dell 😄 This isn't even mentioning what you already said about gpu and display refresh rate.

So no, I personally can't consider it a worthy alternative.

HP workstations are usually very easy to open and it can also be very easy to swap drives and RAM for them and starting with Zbook 17 G6 they introduced a vapor chamber for at least the top models. I like their design and I also prefer their non-rubbery palm rest so it is too bad that they have a bunch of - for me unsurmountable - drawbacks:

They used to have a very annoying behaviour with regard to fans ramping up out of nowhere and I did not manage to find a good program that really took care of that issue - I am told this is still the case if any kind of significant power draw is desired either single or multi core. My last experience with that was with Zbook 17 G5 and G6 and after that I stopped paying attention. Also HP used to charge a lot for top tier CPUs while for Dell it is often a no-brainer to get the best CPU as their surcharge is very reasonable. As has been mentioned deals seem to be more frequent for Dell, too and their CPU and GPU performance USED to be better.

Another recent and huge fail is indeed that HP has turned its back on 17.3" which is something that automatically disqualifies them for me - I want my laptop screens to grow, not to shrink 🙂

• Thumb Up 1

Just now, 1610ftw said:

Another recent and huge fail is indeed that HP has turned its back on 17.3" which is something that automatically disqualifies them for me - I want my laptop screens to grow, not to shrink 🙂

It surprises me to this day how very useful the 17.3" screen size is to me.  The ability to watch movies on the couch for more than one person, multiple Zoom panes, many situations where 17.3" is merely more practical.  And, shameless plug, my 7760 slides into the Dell Pro Backpack 17 like a glove and I didn't need more than that for a 2 day trip.  The extra vertical screen space of the OLED Precision 7670 is definitely worthy of consideration, and I believe the HP Fury has these same dimensions as well.  To me, this would be an interesting choice if I use it as an actual workstation instead of a portable server that I sometimes open the lid on.

• Thumb Up 1

P7730 / 6-core / 64GB ECC RAM / 3 x 2TB NVME; P7760 / 8-core / 128GB ECC RAM

Steiger Dynamics 16 core Ryzen 7950X / RTX A6000 48GB GPU / 128 GB RAM / 5x4TB NVME

24 minutes ago, microdou said:

May be liquid metal can help 🤔 @Aaron44126

Eh, I don't mind repasting but liquid metal is a bit out of my comfort zone.  I know that it can be used in laptops but I've heard some bad stories, and since I have no experience with applying that at all, not something that I really want to take a chance with.

I'll mention that running the GPU at 130W (without that much of a CPU load) doesn't seem like an issue for me.  I haven't gotten to thermal throttling stage with the GPU.  I'll try to run it a little harder and see how it behaves sometime today.  I don't know why it doesn't boost up to 150W, but I wasn't really expecting it to spend much time at that power level; last year's Precision 7760's seemed to behave similarly with a 115W GPU TDP and 140W boost power level which was rarely/never invoked.

————

I've noticed the fans cycling on and off periodically while on a light "office work" load and that's annoying (because of the fan ramp-up sound it makes when the fans come back on).  The M6700 did the same thing and I wrote this fan management software mostly just to avoid that.  (M6700 was also very reactive with the fans if the CPU load spiked up a little; 7770 doesn't have that problem, it is pretty slow to react.)  There doesn't seem to be any option for fan control options for the Precision 7X60/7X70 at this time.

For now, I am going to stop running with turbo boost disabled (something I previously did when I didn't need high CPU power, to keep fan speeds low), and see if that will keep the fans from powering off so often.  With background jobs moved to the E cores, it seems like the system is happy to continue to operate at a very low fan speed in this configuration.  With turbo boost off I was seeing it hang out around 1000 RPM (and there are no speeds below 1000 RPM really, it just shuts the fans off).  With turbo boost on it is hanging out more around 1200-1300 RPM, which is still too quiet to hear.

(Yes, yes, I did have turbo boost enabled when running Cinebench.)

• Thumb Up 2

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Aaron44126, 

the multicore full load performance has already shown, it would be interesting to check the maximum capacity of the system when CPU and GPU are demanded to the maximum.

If possible I suggest following Jarrod and simultaneously running cpu stress test on Aida64 and Heaven.

Check temps/clocks/power of both.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

I've noticed the fans cycling on and off periodically while on a light "office work" load and that's annoying (because of the fan ramp-up sound it makes when the fans come back on).  The M6700 did the same thing and I wrote this fan management software mostly just to avoid that.  (M6700 was also very reactive with the fans if the CPU load spiked up a little; 7770 doesn't have that problem, it is pretty slow to react.)  There doesn't seem to be any option for fan control options for the Precision 7X60/7X70 at this time.

It really does sound like poor heatsink contact with the CPU surface. If you are willing to repaste it may not hurt to try.

You may also want to have them send a replacement cooling system. The pipes on the unit in your photo look like they may have excessive bending marks near the curve. If the sinter inside the pipe was broken from that it effect how well they move heat to the fin stack.

• Thumb Up 1

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

33 minutes ago, win32asmguy said:

It really does sound like poor heatsink contact with the CPU surface. If you are willing to repaste it may not hurt to try.

You may also want to have them send a replacement cooling system. The pipes on the unit in your photo look like they may have excessive bending marks near the curve. If the sinter inside the pipe was broken from that it effect how well they move heat to the fin stack.

...I don't see what I posted in the quote above as a negative for the cooling system performance; if anything, it's working well enough under light load for the fans to shut off entirely from time to time.  (I'm just complaining about the noise that the fans make when they power on...)

I also see what you're saying about the "bending marks near the curve", but the guy who posted the Chinese review has the same thing in his system; it may well be just the way it was designed (for better or for worse).

I do understand that there's a potential cooling/thermal snafu here and I'm definitely willing to take steps to improve the situation, but I'm not going to do a "stab in the dark"...  I'll still wait and see what other users' systems come back looking like.  For now, even if performance is not necessarily "optimal", it's still the fastest PC that I've ever personally used, so I'm fine to wait for more information to be available before deciding on a course of action.

• Thumb Up 3

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

A few additional notes.

• Optimus works; on some prior Precision systems including my M6700 and 7560, there have been issues with the NVIDIA GPU not shutting off appropriately when it is not in use.  (Numerous users have complained about this here and at NBR and some tricks have emerged to kick it into working properly.)  At least for me so far, in this system, the dGPU seems to be shutting off as expected in every case that I have checked so far.
  • Since I care a lot about fan behavior, this one is interesting to me.  I'm seeing cases where only one fan is on, which I've never seen in past Precision systems; they've always run both fans at around the same level.  It's not always the same fan either; sometimes the first one is on and the second one is off, and sometimes it's the other way around.
  • Even with the CPU speed unlocked (turbo boost enabled) and the system set to "ultra performance" mode, I'm seeing the fans power off completely from time to time.  This is generally a good thing.  I just don't like the noise they make when they power back on, so I would prefer that they never power off.  To keep the fans from powering off, I'll be updating the Dell Fan Management app to allow for configuring a threshold (say 1100 RPM), and if either fan speed falls below that threshold, it will generate some bogus CPU load to nudge them back up.  (Best I can come up with unless someone out there actually discovers a proper BIOS interface for "manual" fan control.)  I'll set it up so that this only happens if the system is plugged into power, not when its running on battery.
  • Thumb Up 2

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

For your benchmarks,  your FireStrike score seems unusually low.   For whatever reason, the 'combined' test did really poorly.  That's a lower Combined score than I got with with a 7720 with a 7920HQ and a P5000.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/28066168/fs/28143664

I wonder if the FireStrike benchmark is using the efficiency cores for that portion of the test or something?  That's probably just an oddity of the benchmark though, not a real world phenomena.

• Thumb Up 1

2 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

...I don't see what I posted in the quote above as a negative for the cooling system performance; if anything, it's working well enough under light load for the fans to shut off entirely from time to time.  (I'm just complaining about the noise that the fans make when they power on...)

I also see what you're saying about the "bending marks near the curve", but the guy who posted the Chinese review has the same thing in his system; it may well be just the way it was designed (for better or for worse).

I do understand that there's a potential cooling/thermal snafu here and I'm definitely willing to take steps to improve the situation, but I'm not going to do a "stab in the dark"...  I'll still wait and see what other users' systems come back looking like.  For now, even if performance is not necessarily "optimal", it's still the fastest PC that I've ever personally used, so I'm fine to wait for more information to be available before deciding on a course of action.

You may want to open up a case with Dell and ask why the low CPU and GPU numbers.

Here is a review of an Alienware X17 with the same GPU and lesser CPU achieving higher results:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-x17-R2-laptop-review-Peak-175-W-GeForce-RTX-3080-Ti-performance.617938.0.html#toc-3

More than 50% higher CR23 with this one with the equivalent 12900HX:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-Raider-GE77-HX-12UHS-in-review-4K-gaming-notebook-with-top-performance.634343.0.html

I think that both laptops weigh less than the 7770 so it is not like it is slim and light compared to them.

Can't hurt to do that while you are waiting - let them do the work for now.

• Thumb Up 1

6 hours ago, alittleteapot said:

It surprises me to this day how very useful the 17.3" screen size is to me.  The ability to watch movies on the couch for more than one person, multiple Zoom panes, many situations where 17.3" is merely more practical.  And, shameless plug, my 7760 slides into the Dell Pro Backpack 17 like a glove and I didn't need more than that for a 2 day trip.  The extra vertical screen space of the OLED Precision 7670 is definitely worthy of consideration, and I believe the HP Fury has these same dimensions as well.  To me, this would be an interesting choice if I use it as an actual workstation instead of a portable server that I sometimes open the lid on.

The new 16" 16:10 screen are almost exactly the same height as current 16:9 17.3" screens but they have 1600 instead of 1440 vertical pixels to go with the horizontal resolution of 2560.

As I already find QHD too small on a 17.3" screen I do not really see that much of a benefit with a 2560 x 1600 resolution on these 16" screens when not scaling everything up.

2560 horizontal pixels is big for me as it makes using two windows side by side possible whereas 1920 x 1080 does not really cut it when I want to do that.

9 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

Can't hurt to do that while you are waiting - let them do the work for now.

Eh.  I see where you’re coming from, but I’m afraid they’ll jump straight to wanting to replace components, which I’m thinking probably won’t do any good.  Same thing, I guess, I’d like to be able to show that “everyone” is having the same trouble before opening a case (need a bigger sample size) so that they’ll be more willing to engage the engineering team rather than just ship out a new heatsink which is the same as the old one.

• Thumb Up 1

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

1 hour ago, 1610ftw said:

Você pode querer abrir um caso com a Dell e perguntar por que os números baixos de CPU e GPU.

Aqui está uma análise de um Alienware X17 com a mesma GPU e CPU menor alcançando resultados mais altos:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-x17-R2-laptop-review-Peak-175-W-GeForce-RTX-3080-Ti-performance.617938.0.html#toc-3

CR23 mais de 50% maior com este com o equivalente 12900HX:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-Raider-GE77-HX-12UHS-in-review-4K-gaming-notebook-with-top-performance.634343.0.html

Eu acho que ambos os laptops pesam menos que o 7770, então não é como se fosse fino e leve comparado a eles.

Não custa nada fazer isso enquanto você espera - deixe-os fazer o trabalho por enquanto.

It is not expected to reach the performance of X17, GE67/77, etc...these are gaming machines focused on high performance.

This 7770 is expected to deliver consistent good performance, a more reliable machine. Precision has always prized stability, reliability with good performance.

I'm convinced that Aaron's unit has a problem because at multicore full load his CPU can't even reach the value of PL1. The expected would be to reach something between 115 and 157W (PL2) - depending on the cooling capacity - for a few seconds before throttling and staying at 85W (PL1) with a temperature below 100°C.